A weekly feature focusing on select heavy music news, primarily involving new and upcoming releases with a list of ’em provided at the end. This also serves as a week in review, collecting all of the most recent content on Grizzly Butts in a brief additional list. Want to see what came out this week? Read the “Annihilate This Week” column every week. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have new releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks send it to: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (7/10/21 – 7/16/21)
- Hell’s Headbangers Records have announced August 20th as the release date for SACRIFIXION‘s debut EP, ‘Shower Me in Death‘, on 7″ vinyl format. Sacrifixion is a new band featuring veterans of the German black/thrash metal metal underground including ex-Cruel Force vocalist Carnivore and Avenger (Nocturnal, Front Beast). Violent and raw 80’s death-thrash metal with a witching cut. Check out the first single “Unmarked Shallow Graves” over on YouTube: [LINK]
- Popular German black metal band GROZA will release their second full-length album, ‘The Redemptive End‘, on August 6th through AOP Records. To get things moving the anonymous quartet have released a new single and music video, “Elegance of Irony,” which is up on Bandcamp and elsewhere: [LINK]
- Hell’s Headbangers Records have announced August 27th as the release date for NUNSLAUGHTER‘s sixth album, ‘Red is the Color of Ripping Death‘, on CD and cassette tape formats, vinyl LP will follow later this year. Classic band, though this is their first record without drummer Jim Sadist since 1995 there are a couple of co-written songs on here. Was already into this but the stop-motion video for “Below the Cloven Hoof” kinda kicked my ass over the fence, check it out over on YouTube: [LINK]
- Chicago-based blackened melodic death metal band WITHERING SOUL have unveiled a solid first single from their forthcoming album ‘Last Contact‘ in “Carrion Reflection”, a fluid and very mid-90’s feeling piece that still manages a ‘modern’ melodic death metal feel and level of polish. The album will be released this coming September 24th on Mortal Music. Listen to “Carrion Reflection” on YouTube: [LINK]
- This coming October 22nd Dying Victims Productions will release the self-titled debut album from KNIFE on CD and vinyl LP formats. These guys are all about a mix of first wave black and metalpunk, sounds average in description but these guys aren’t a Midnight clone or whatever. Today they’ve premiered the first single “Hallowed Chamber of Storms” over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Celebrating their 10th anniversary as a band, CHURCHBURN have announced their third full-length titled ‘Genocidal Rite‘. Formed in 2011 and based out of Rhode Island the band includes some well known musicians such as Dave Suzuki (ex-Vital Remains). The album will be released this coming November 5, 2021 via the always impressively curated Translation Loss Records. Check out the first preview track over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Los Angeles-based dissonant black metal duo FERAL LORD will release their full-length debut album ‘Purity of Corruption‘ this coming August 28th on Vargheist Records. So far they’ve released a lyric video for the album’s first single, “The Purity of Corruption” on YouTube and the song is up on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Brazilian death metal project THE TROOPS OF DOOM have announced their second EP, ‘The Absence Of Light‘ is coming this September. The EP will release this September digitally via Nuclear Blast digital subsidiary Blood Blast. As for physical copies: CD will come via Voice Music in Brazil, Metalized Records in Mexico, and Hellven Records in Portugal, then on vinyl via Anomalia Distro in Brazi and Hellven Records in Portugal, and finally on cassette by Repulsive Echo Records in Greece. The Troops of Doom features Sepultura’s original guitarist and this time around he’s gotten a few guests in the mix, starting with Possessed’s Jeff Becerra. Follow The Troops of Doom on Facebook: [LINK]
- On October 22nd Dying Victims Productions have announced they will release a new EP from black/heavy metal group HEXENBRETT, ‘Intermezzo dei quattro coltelli nudi‘, on CD, cassette, and 12” vinyl. The first new track from the album “Die Teuflischen von Acapulco (Satan Sangre)” can be heard over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- New York City-based avant-garde industrial punk trio POP. 1280 are set to release their fifth full-length album, ‘Museum on the Horizon‘ this coming September 24th through Profound Lore Records. The band revealed the record’s first single, “Noncompliant” today. Stream it over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Selfmadegod Records have announced the signing of WINGLESS, a death/doom metal influenced trio from Krakow, Poland. The band’s upcoming fourth full-length ‘Nonconform‘ will be released tentatively this September. Formed back in 2012 they’ve volved largely within the vision of guitarist and founding member Grzegorz Luzar. The current trio is rounded out by two members of (the excellent) Redemptor. Keep your ears peeled for more info: [LINK]
- Southern Italian grind-violence band NAPOLI VIOLENTA have announced their latest album ‘Neapolitan Power Violence‘ is due out this autumn via Time To Kill Records. The release date is tentative. Pre-orders and more info over on Time to Kill Records’ website: [LINK]
- Dark Descent Records will collaborate with Norma Evangelium Diaboli on the new album from revered blackened death metal band LVCIFYRE which will be titled ‘The Broken Seal‘ and feature stunning album art revealed along with the details. The release date is set for September 10th with on CD, gatefold vinyl, cassette, and digital formats. Dark Descent will release the album in North America with Norma Evangelium Diaboli handling the European release. Retain your connection with the sulphur! Follow Lvcifyre on Facebook: [LINK]
- AD: GrizzlyButts.com is just one dude and I have my own label/publishing company named SPIRIT COFFIN PUBLISHING. Today (July 16th) I’ve released PARASITIC ENTITY‘s ‘The Self-Aggrandising Lie‘ on compact disc, a technical/progressive death metal band from the U.K. and next week I will release a cassette tape version of INCINERATE‘s second album (from a couple months ago) ‘Back to Reality‘, a classics-minded death/thrash metal album. I have funded each of these and designed the layouts myself. Please support if you like any of those releases, sorry I am not doing Bandcamp or digital sales. Beyond this, July 23rd marks the release of the first issue of MYSTIFICATION ZINE a very sturdy, very glossy 70 page zine — All of the writing, interviews, columns, reviews etc. come from me but I’ve gotten some great artists and photographers to class it up. Issue I: “Primitive Futurity” is just a starting point and they’ll only get better from there. The next issue is planned for early December but, is kinda dependent on these selling. Thanks for any support check out more details on the zine and my releases at the shop: [LINK]
- Don’t see your album/news listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
SITE WEEK IN REVIEW (7/10/21 – 7/16/21)
- Annihilate This Week 7/11/21: “The mankind is dump, devouring all junk.”
- This year …From the Tomb becomes Annihilate This Week, still focusing on new releases from the week but now accumulating a New Releases list/discussion in addition to short reviews for around 5-10 new albums each week. It will now post every Saturday (or Sunday) to better fit my schedule.
- This week I chose to cover 7 New Releases from July 9th-16th. Favorites being Hell Strike, Leila Abdul-Rauf, and Black Hosts.
- An Early Stream of “Gnashing” from DISKORD’s ‘Degenerations’ LP (2021) | PREMIERE
- If you are not already familiar with one of Norway’s most original death metal bands, ever, get acquainted with their dissonant yet classic avant-garde approach to death metal. Back in the mid-to-late 2000’s this was kind of the ‘weird’ color-outside-the-lines kind of band next to the rise of Obliteration and Execration and man, are they back after about a seven year wait. So excited for this album and I hope you’ll take a minute to stream this short, mind-melting piece.
Fell, smashed my head into a door, then a tile floor. So, slow-going this week even though I had a lot planned. Big thing on my end is the CD release already mentioned, if that kind of tech-death isn’t your thing no worries. I’ll basically be listening to Laceration and Sallow Moth all day today. So, from this weeks releases I’m still planning on reviews for The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, Sallow Moth, and Calliophis, with the possibility of Cognitive still getting review sooner or later. Those are priority for now then it’ll be Craven Idol, Temple of Dread, Krossfyre, Necromantical Invocation, and perhaps Matti Reikki‘s ‘North From Here – The Story of Sentenced‘ book which I’ve only just finished today. Looks like a lot but it is just a matter of sitting down and making time. That is probably all I could even manage by mid-next week, we’ll see.
- RAZOR – Escape the Fire (2021) | REVIEW
- MOLIS SEPULCRUM – Left For the Worms (2021) | REVIEW
- WITCH VOMIT – Abhorrent Rapture (2021) | REVIEW
- VOUNA – Atropos (2021) | REVIEW
- CRYPT MONARCH – The Necronaut (2021) | REVIEW
- EXIL – Warning (2021) | REVIEW
UPCOMING RELEASES (7/17/19/21 – 7/23/21)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a full review is drafted or in preparation. A pound (#) indicates a short review is warranted and in process. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- CRAVEN IDOL – Forked Tongues [July 23rd, Dark Descent Records]*
- TEMPLE OF DREAD – ‘Hades Unleashed [July 23rd, Testimony Records]*
- KROSSFYRE – Rites of Extermination [July 23rd, Hell’s Headbangers Records]*
- NECROMANTICAL INVOCATION – Dogme el Rituel de la Haute Magie [July 24th, Helter Skelter/Regain Records]*
- LYKHAEON – Opprobrium [July 21st, Repose Records]
- GODSLAVE – Positive Aggressive [July 23rd, Metalville]
- ERADICATOR – Influence Denied [July 23rd, Metalville]
- FULCI – Exhumed Information [July 23rd, Time to Kill Records]
- PLANET OF THE DEAD – Pilgrims [July 23rd, Self-Released]
- MORDRED – The Dark Parade [July 23rd, M-Theory Audio]
- FLAME, DEAR FLAME – Aegis [July 23rd, Eisenwald]
- HEXORCIST – Evil Reaping Death [July 26th, Memento Mori, Unholy Prophecies, Godz ov War]*
- GALVANIZER – Prying Sight of Imperception [July 26th, Me Saco Un Ojo / Everlasting Spew]*
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.