A weekly feature focusing on select heavy music news, primarily involving new and upcoming releases with a list of ’em provided at the end. This also serves as a week in review, collecting all of the most recent content on Grizzly Butts in a brief additional list. Want to see what came out this week? Read the “Annihilate This Week” column every week. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have new releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (7/03/21 – 7/09/21)
- Heads up! I have my own label/publishing company named SPIRIT COFFIN PUBLISHING and though I am not one to advertise on a frequent basis, it makes sense at this point to officially announce it. By the end of July I will have released five cassette tapes and one CD all of which I have funded and designed the layouts myself. Please support if you like any of those releases. Beyond this, I’ve recently announced the first issue of MYSTIFICATION ZINE will release July 23rd. All of the writing, interviews, columns, reviews etc. is from me but I’ve gotten some great artists and photographers to class it up. Issue I: “Primitive Futurity” will have a solid 14pt (think cardstock) cover, and glossy 100# paper that is made to last. My whole gig is making sure everything is ridiculously high quality but reasonably priced for a once every 6 month zine. Anyhow, thanks for any support check out more details on the zine and my releases at the shop: [LINK]
- Werewolf Records have set August 13th as the release date for CHAMBER OF UNLIGHT‘s debut album, ‘Realm of the Night‘ on CD format. The vinyl LP version will show up later this year. This is a duo featuring Necrosis and Kassara, folks you know from Trollheims Grott and Deathchain among deeper underground Finnish black metal acts and of course this record concerns itself with reskinning the 90’s realms but with a broader pan-Scandinavian touch. I am definitely looking forward to this one. The vocals are full of personality and the atmosphere is thicc on this first single “Revelations of Dark Crafts”: [LINK]
- Finnish avant-garde psychedelic post-music engine HORTE have another trip on the books in the form of “Pelko karistaa järjen” the most recent single from their second album ‘Maa antaa yon vaientaa‘ (“Land Lets the Night Grow Silent”) an album that apparently had Juho Vanhanen (Oranssi Pazuzu) consulting on the production. You might remember these guys from 2017 when their debut on Svart made waves, here are uh, more very chill and frickin’ dreamy waves: [LINK]
- Canadian progressive/technical death metal band ÆPOCH have announced their latest EP ‘Hiraeth‘ is on the way this coming September 10th on CD. Always a fan of these guys and I appreciate they’ve taken a turn towards something more modern and proficient here. Listen to “The Flesh Totem” and pre-order over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Cruz Del Sur Music have announced their signing of cult U.S. power metal band ONWARD. The label will release their studio album ‘Of Epoch And Inferno‘ sometime in 2022. Not sure who they are? Ah, man, this is Toby Knapp’s band from the early 2000’s when bands like Nevermore and such were really breaking out and these guys were always underrated. Seven years after their last album and nine since their original vocalist passed, they’ve selected Attika’s Robert Van War for this album. Keep up with Cruz Del Sur Music on Facebook: [LINK]
- On September 24th internationally, Antiq Records will release DAWN OF A DARK AGE‘s seventh album, ‘Le Forche Caudine’, on digipack CD format. Dawn of a Dark Age is the main project of the multi-instrumentalist Vittorio Sabelli, a classical and jazz musician who brings stunning darkness to this extreme clarinet driven music. This album is split into two extended pieces roughly 20 minutes apiece. Get a quick sample of the album over on YouTube: [LINK]
- New York experimental art punk duo CINEMA CINEMA have announced another partnership with Nefarious Industries for their upcoming late August release of their new album, ‘CCXMDII‘. Alongside the album’s cover art, and track listing, the lead single “A Life Of Its Own” has been posted alongside preorders. This eighteen minute piece surely isn’t what you’re expecting unless you’re familiar with the previous album ‘CCXMD’ as this atmospheric free-jazz exploration completes on this second part. Couldn’t pull my ear away from this one, odd as it is. Check it out over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Personal Records in conspiracy with Gurgling Gore have announced WHARFLURCH‘s debut album ‘Psychedelic Realms Ov Hell‘ will release this coming September 3rd. Personal will release the CD edition, Gurgling Gore will release the cassette tape version. The vinyl LP version will come later via Personal. Yeah I dunno, this band started out way boring and their ‘Shitslime’ EP arrived during a time where I straight up decided all “poop and gore, hehe” death metal can fuck off. But hey you can tell they’ve been working on something outside the box as this “Celestial Mycelium” track kicks off. The riffs are tired but the song itself is rad otherwise. I’m definitely up for squatting on the whole thing. Check out “Celestial Mycelium” over on YouTube: [LINK]
- SORCIA have announced (a while ago) their forthcoming EP ‘Death By Design‘ is coming out July 16th via Desert Records on CD. The whole shebang is one 16-minute title track, and if you pony up for the CD they’ve got an acoustic version of “Dusty” on there to round things out. I dunno if the electron microscope photo as an album cover is an unintentional homage to Tad’s ‘Infrared Riding Hood’ (listen to it, it holds up) but Mr. Doyle definitely recorded, mixed and mastered the new song at his Witch Ape Studio in Seattle. Sounds huge, lots of really nice low end, kind of an Acid Bath vibe here and there, might review it tomorrow, eh? Check out a teaser video over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Well, what the Hell. North Texas death metal act SALLOW MOTH, who rule, have announce the surprise third chapter in their post-apocalyptic trilogy, titled ‘Stasis Cocoon‘, available goddamn now. Formed in Dallas during the summer of 2016, Sallow Moth is a concept project from Garry Brents with plenty of proggy Swedish death influences. Jump on this one, you need to know this band. : [LINK]
- CDN Records have announced August 21st will be the release date for the reissue of Canadian death metal band THE BLOOD OF CHRIST‘s early 90’s demos “Frozen Dreams” (1994) and “The Lonely Flowers Of Autumn” (1995) on limited edition cassette and CD. Both are remixed along with remastering done by Dan Swano (Incantation, Jungle Rot, Asphyx). The CD version features bonus tracks from the 1996 Torture Records 7″ single and the 1994 demo “Frozen Dreams”. Awesome: [LINK]
- Chaos Records have announced September 10th as release date for a special split album between GRIM FATE and THE SOMBRE, ‘From Ancient Slumber / The Horrid Silence Thus Began‘, on CD format. This split album features three exclusive tracks from both bands, with Grim Fate’s half titled From Ancient Slumber and The Sombre’s The Horrid Silence Thus Began. Both excellent, and I am a bit Grim Fate fan so I’ll definitely get this one: [LINK]
- August is going to be pretty good, eh. DEVOID OF THOUGHT will release their debut full-length, a big whopping grown-up 40 minute death metal album lookin’ over its shoulder at Timeghoul, Blood Incantation, Voivod, Incantation and such. Stoked to death and back for these guys to finally show up with a whopper. ‘Outer World Graves‘ will release this coming August 27th via Everlasting Spew Records. : [LINK]
- Italian death metal band FULCI have premiered the third single from their upcoming album ‘Exhumed Information‘, which releases via Time To Kill Records on July 23rd 2021. “Tomb” finds the band emphasizing their hardcorish side a bit more with a breakdown or two, not really my thing riff-wise but the video is cool: [LINK]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Aenigmatum, Pa Vesh En, Kamra, Grim Fate, Devoid of Thought, Sorcia, Decrepisy, Wharflurch, Defacement, Sermon of Flames, Burn In Hell, Runespell, Flame Dear Flame, Aepoch, Chamber of Unlight, Norse, Esses, Obscurity, Baxaxaxa and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: email@example.com
SITE WEEK IN REVIEW (7/03/21 – 7/09/21)
- Annihilate This Week 7/06/21: “And in the lowest deep a lower deep, Still threat’ning to devour me”
- This year …From the Tomb becomes Annihilate This Week, still focusing on new releases from the week but now accumulating a New Releases list/discussion in addition to short reviews for around 5-10 new albums each week. It will now post every Saturday (or Sunday) to better fit my schedule.
- This week I chose to cover 6 New Releases from July 2nd-13th. Favorites being Marras and Elderblood.
This week I am somewhat caught up with things and, sure, already starting reviews for the week of July 23rd. I am working on two book reviews, and at least one video game review soon. Still a lot going on this July including four of my own releases.
- BEYOND MAN – Beyond Man (2021) | REVIEW
- TOWARDS ATLANTIS LIGHTS – When the Ashes Devoured the Sun (2021) | REVIEW
- DIABOLIZER – Khalkedonian Death (2021) | REVIEW
- LACERATION – Demise (2021) | REVIEW
- NOCTAMBULIST – The Barren Form (2021) | REVIEW
- DUNGEON SERPENT – World of Sorrows (2021) | REVIEW
UPCOMING RELEASES (7/10/19/21 – 7/16/21)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a full review is drafted or in preparation. A pound (#) indicates a short review is warranted and in process. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- TOWARDS ATLANTIS LIGHTS – When the Ashes Devoured the Sun (2021, Self Released)
- LACERATION – Demise (2021, Rotted Life Records)
- DUNGEON SERPENT – World of Sorrows (2021, Nameless Grave)
- HELL STRIKE – Hellstrike [July 16th, Chaos Records]
- MOLIS SEPULCRUM ‘Left For the Worms’ [June 16th, Pulverised Records]
- VOMIT RITUAL – Callous [July 16th, Pulverised Records]
- LEILA ABDUL-RAUF – Phantasiai [July 16th, Cyclic Law]
- RAZOR – Escape the Fire [July 16th, High Roller Records] !
- CHEST CRUSH – Verdylegma [July 14th, Self-Released]
- BLACK HOSTS – Onward into the abyss [July 15th, Helldprod Records]
- SEVERED BOY – Tragic Encounters [July 15th, Caligari Records]
- THE GRASSHOPPER LIES HEAVY – A Cult That Worships a God of Death [July 16th, Learning Curve]
- NOTHING SACRED – No Gods [July 16th, Rockshots Records]
- COGNITIVE – Malevolent Thoughts of a Hastened Extinction [July 16th, Unique Leader]
- FELL HARVEST – Pale Light in a Dying World [July 16th]
- PARADISE LOST – At the Mill [July 16th, Nuclear Blast] Live
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.