A weekly feature focusing on select heavy music news, primarily involving new and upcoming releases with a list of ’em provided at the end. This also serves as a week in review, collecting all of the most recent content on Grizzly Butts in a brief additional list. Want to see what came out this week? Read the “Annihilate This Week” column every week. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have new releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks send it to: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (6/19/21 – 6/25/21)
- Trollzorn have announced the ninth studio album from German black/death influenced folk metal band OBSCURITY will be titled ‘Skogarmaors‘ and will be released on August 27th this year on CD, LP, as a boxset and in digital versions. Their line-up has changed slightly, adding a new drummer and guitarist who’ve brought some of their own influence in, the band assures folks they’ll get the Obscurity we all know nonetheless. They’ve posted a preview clip for the album on YouTube which has bits of several songs: [LINK]
- Bitter Loss Records have announced August 6th as the release date for CRYPT CRAWLER‘s second album, ‘Future Usurper‘, on vinyl LP format. This Australian death metal band are a bit too “modern” for my own taste but the album is pretty solid, you can check it out and make your own choice since it is out otherwise. If you’re already a fan, pre-orders are up: [LINK]
- Los Angeles based melodic death metal trio VAELMYST have announced they will self-release their debut full-length album ‘Secrypts of the Egochasm‘ this coming August 13th. Their first single “Dawnless” is available over on their Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Eisenwald have announced August 6th as the North American release date for NETHERBIRD‘s sixth album, ‘Arete‘, on CD and vinyl LP formats. Netherbird are a fine Swedish melodic black/death metal band with a strong sort of atmospheric and ‘dark’ metal feeling aesthetic. Definitely looking forward to this one since I’d really enjoyed their previous record. The first preview song “Towers of the Night” is up on YouTube: [LINK]
- Portland, Oregon-based blackened death metal crew ÆNIGMATUM are back with their second album ‘Deconsecrate‘ and this one lands the band on 20 Buck Spin, who’ll release the album on LP, CD, and cassette formats this coming August 13th. The album once again features stunning album art, and this should send people clawing at their faces with torment realizing they’d slept on this band’s greatness since 2019 or so. Their first album rules! This one will too, judging by this first single: [LINK]
- Stewis Media and Dark Essence Records have announced a documentary from MADDER MORTEM entitled Howl of the Underdogs will be released digitally worldwide on June 26th. Howl of the Underdogs is the story of the Norwegian metal band Madder Mortem and their singer who, “struggling with a life-long eating disorder in an image-obsessed industry, undergoes weight loss surgery to battle the demons that have given birth to their music. After filming with the band during their 20th anniversary year as they recorded new music, toured Europe, and reunited all of their former members in Oslo for a once-in-a-lifetime show, the film explores how the band boils down their internal demons, Scandinavian cultural norms, and an image-obsessed industry into inspirational music that reaches fans around the world.” Of course we should support any efforts to link cathartic music to these sorts of subjects which can help people with mental issues via open and honest conversations. Check it out tomorrow: The 76 minute film will be available English or Norwegian w/English subtitles and can be pre-ordered over on Vimeo: [LINK]
- Peruvian death/thrash metal band MAZE OF TERROR have revealed details of their second album which will be titled ‘Offer to the Fucking Beasts’ and will be released on August 26th via Xtreem Music on CD and digital formats. Love the cover art from Karl Dahmer. Check out the first preview track over on YouTube: [LINK]
- Here is a rare chunk of the best kind of noise rock, shouting and churning good stuff that lands in less than three minutes. Grimoire Records have announced ‘Crayon Sun‘, the latest full-length from Baltimore, Maryland-based noise rock trio GLOOP. Title track is up, check out the rest of the details while you’re listening over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- GREEN LUNG are back with their second album! ‘Black Harvest‘ will be released within the autumnal heave of October 22nd via Svart Records. The band comments: “After reissuing Woodland Rites we were beset by thee plague and the cancellation of our tour schedule. But these events gave us the chance to hide away like hermits in the middle of nowhere and create the definitive soundtrack to the folk horror film in our heads. We are grateful to all our fans for their patience, and we can’t wait to finally bring these songs to life onstage later this year.” ‘Black Harvest’ will be out on heavy weight vinyl, CD and digital formats, and is available to pre-order over on Svart’s site as far as I know. The first single, “Leaders of the Blind”, is out everywhere today here’s a quick click over to YouTube: [LINK]
- Brandon Corsair‘s (Draghkar, Azath) own print zine THE HIGHWAY CORSAIR is ready with their third issue pro-printed, full color, full size, bound with a spine, and it includes a 7″ from the band Kadatheron, a Finnish death metal rarity from 1993 which uh, is worth the buy alone. Limited to 200 copies. He goes for longer interviews, this time the headliners are Asphyx, Autopsy, Abhorrence, and Varathron. Check it out over on their label Nameless Grave Records’ website: [LINK]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Thyrfing, Moon Oracle, Deathchant, Darkthrone, Off Peak Arson, Saxtorph, Shrieking Demons, Elderblood, Veilburner, Skepticism, King Animal, Teeth, Madder Mortem, Vaelmyst, Witch Vomit, Netherbird, Crypt Crawler, Groza, Leila Abdul-Rauf, Dimentianon and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
SITE WEEK IN REVIEW (6/19/21 – 6/25/21)
- Annihilate This Week 6/19/21: “And seraphs sob at vermin fangs – In human gore imbued.”
- This year …From the Tomb becomes Annihilate This Week, still focusing on new releases from the week but now accumulating a New Releases list/discussion in addition to short reviews for around 5-10 new albums each week. It will now post every Saturday (or Sunday) to better fit my schedule.
- This week I chose to cover 6 New Releases from June 12th-18th. Favorites being Mental Cavity, Euthanized.
- An Early Stream of SEANCE OF’s ‘The Colour of Magick’ EP (2021) | PREMIERE + INTERVIEW
- Thanks to Seance Of, Signal Rex and their representation for the opportunity to share this album early and present an interview with the band.
- From June 18th-30th the Spirit Coffin Publishing BigCartel shop will be offering free shipping within the United States for all Distribution items (non-label releases), specifically CDs and cassettes. Use the code “TROOPER” at checkout for free shipping on items by: Stargazer, Intestine Baalism, Deviser, Anti-God Hand, and Molten Chains. After June 30th all distro items will move to a fair-priced Discogs account along with used records/CDs from my collection. I will also be offering used video games on my store within the next week.
The heat of the summer is upon is but July ain’t looking too hot in terms of mind-blowing releases. Still, plenty of ultra-hot underground gems to dig either way (Laceration, Dungeon Serpent, Vouna, Towards Atlantis Lights, Hell Strike, Craven Idol, Temple of Dread, Hexorcist, Galvanizer, and a few more). As for the end of June I’m working on reviews for Warmoon Lord and Beyond Man over the weekend, though I might pivot to the Best of the Month list on Sunday. Will there be reviews for Deathchant and Darkthrone albums? Maybe, I’ll have a lot to say about ‘Eternal Hails‘ though both promos arrived the day prior to release and I am not a speedy “…reacts” performer. Late next week, most likely. Get that Siderean album if you haven’t already!
- CATHEXIS – Untethered Abyss (2021) | REVIEW
- HELLISH FORM – Remains (2021) | REVIEW
- DUNBARROW – III (2021) | REVIEW
- SUFFER YOURSELF – Rip Tide (2021) | REVIEW
- POLEMICIST – Return of the Sophist (2021) | REVIEW
- PHARAOH – The Powers That Be (2021) | REVIEW
UPCOMING RELEASES (7/01/19/21 – 7/02/21)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a full review is drafted or in preparation. A pound (#) indicates a short review is warranted and in process. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- STRESS ANGEL – Bursting Church [July 2nd, Stygian Black Hand/July 30th, Dying Victims Productions]*
- DRAWN AND QUARTERED – Congregation Pestilence [July 2nd, Krucyator Productions]*
- MANNVEIRA – Vitahringur [July 2nd, Dark Descent Records]*
- DIABOLIZER – Khalkedonian Death [July 2nd, Everlasting Spew Records]*
- YEAR OF NO LIGHT – Consolamentum [July 2nd, Pelagic Records]*
- GODHEAD MACHINERY – Masquerade Among Gods [July 2nd, Black Lion Records]*
- FELLED – The Intimate Earth [July 2nd, Transcending Obscurity Records]
- NOCTAMBULIST – The Barren Form [July 2nd, Willowtip Records]
- HNAGASH – Ritual Over the Grave [July 2nd, Personal Records]
- TAAKE – Avvik [July 2nd, Dark Essence Records] Compilation
- SEA MOSQUITO – Fire, Magic & Venom [July 2nd, Onism Productions]
- CONCILIUM – Desecration [July 2nd, Sentient Ruin]
- ARCANE SUN – Arcane Sun [July 1st, Sentinel Records] Reissue
- NAPALM TED – Cesspool of Human Mind [July ??, Mogahead]
- VRYKOLAKAS – And Vrykolakas Brings Chaos & Destruction [July 1st, Dark Blasphemies]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.