A weekly feature focusing on select heavy music news, primarily involving new and upcoming releases with a list of ’em provided at the end. This also serves as a week in review, collecting all of the most recent content on Grizzly Butts in a brief additional list. Want to see what came out this week? Read the “Annihilate This Week” column every week. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have new releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (3/27/21 – 4/02/21)
- Slovenian cosmic death metal band SIDEREAN have announced their debut full-length ‘Lost on Void’s Horizon‘ will release through Edged Circle Productions this coming June 25th. Huge news and one of my most anticipated records of the year. You can either join Edged Circle’s membership program for an early collector’s copy of the record or wait until late June for the standard edictions. Follow Siderean on Facebook to keep up: [LINK]
- Indonesian black metal quintet CHORIA recently released their latest full-length, ‘A Dismal Repertoire‘ to digital platforms this March, 27th and announced the album will receive a CD edition through Interlude Records. I would not normally mention a record that’d released a few days prior but I figured most folks would’ve missed it otherwise. Not exactly my kind of atmospheric black metal but an easy record to pick up. Check it out over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Testimony Records have announced they will release the debut album from Belgium-based death metal band SLITHERING DECAY. ‘Aeons Untold‘ will be ready to go this coming May 21st and release on CD, vinyl and digitally. The album was mastered by none other than Dan Swanö who has included a full dynamic range version for the vinyl release. The first preview track “Metaphysical Iconoclasm” gives us a taste of their shotgun heavy HM-2 cult sound, brutal stuff with some interesting use of guitar effects. The song itself reminds me of early Illdisposed a bit. Looking forward to the full album. Check out “Metaphysical Iconoclasm” over on YouTube: [LINK]
- The Ajna Offensive have announced April 30th as the worldwide release date for the English-language edition of THE NECROMANCER OF ROCK: THE ORIGINS OF DEATH SS (1977-1982), by Steve Sylvester with Gianni Della Cioppa. A paperback book with French flaps and 224 pages featuring photos and imagery from every step of the band’s early history. The official story of this legendary band is an exciting event to say the least, especially if you align with the unique lineage of heavy metal, doom and horror rock in Italy. From Mr. Sylvester: “This book is the final answer for those who thirst for every detail, background history, or bit of spicy gossip related to the circumstances which lead five suburban teens to incarnate as the Kings of Evil…” and apparently they’ve even got some words from key member and one of my personal favorite artists Paul Chain along with other members from the era. Save this link over at AJNA’s website and wait ’til its April 30th to grab a copy. Hoping to get a first edition myself and will for sure be reviewing it: [LINK]
- Occult death metal band GRAVE MIASMA have revealed the cover art for their upcoming new album ‘Abyss Of Wrathful Deities’ which is apparently a double LP. The artwork was done by Ars Moriendee and of course suits their sepulchral style well. The album will release on all formats through Dark Descent Records (US) and Sepulchral Voice (Europe) on May 14th. I’ve heard it and I figure once folks catch wind of it it’ll sell out, pretty safe bet on the pre-order if you’re already a fan. Check out the artwork and first single over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Eisenwald have announced UNGFELL‘s third album, ‘Es grauet‘, will released on CD and vinyl LP formats this comping April 30th. This third album is a conceptual beast of moral ambivalence and small town treachery. Tragedy in a rural berg in pre-industrial revolution Europe, murder and opportunistic accusations eat them alive with paranoia and corruption. An exciting King Diamond-esque narrative based on the description but hey, I’m stoked to just hear more Ungfell. For now, you can check out the first single, “Tyfels Antlitz”, on YouTube: [LINK]
- Swedish black metal band WORMWOOD have been forced to change the name of their upcoming album (due out June 18th) to ‘Arkivet‘ after Swedish funeral services conglomerate Fonus decided they own the Latin word for funeral within Scandinavia, swinging their corporate lawyer dicks at an underground metal band just for the Hell of it. Fuck ’em. Pre-order ‘Arkivet’ over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- More fantastic news from the good folks at Eisenwald, they’ve announced THE FLIGHT OF SLEIPNIR‘s seventh album ‘Eventide‘ will release this coming May 28th on CD and vinyl LP formats. The Flight of Sleipnir were first introduced to me thanks to the Eyes Like Snow imprint of Northern Silence back in 2011 with ‘Essence of Nine’ and I have been a fan of their entirely unique sound ever since. Their sound was and is original and ahead of its time, creating an form of post-black metal, folkish and doomed yet not as Agalloch as that might sound. Ethereal and progressive stuff that focuses on ancient Scandinavian folklore in lyrics and imagery, often with a psychedelic bent. Follow them on Facebook and pre-order here: [LINK]
- Portland, Oregon based psychedelic stoner doom quintet ROBOTS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD will release their latest full-length, ‘Mystic Goddess‘ through Small Stone on this coming May 21st. They kinda have that early Alabama Thunderpussy thing going on, long stoney pieces with lots of push but the vocals never get in the way of the jam. Check out the title track over on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- British heavy metal crew HEAVY SENTENCE have shared a second single from their debut album, ‘Bang to Rights‘, which is set for international release on May 28th via Dying Victims Productions (CD and cassette tape) and Crypt of the Wizard (vinyl LP). These guys sound great, cracking into this album today, for now you can get started with “Cold Reins” over on YouTube/Bandcamp. The album cover is awesome, exactly how I remember my first playthrough of Wolfenstein 3D: [LINK]
- Lavadome Productions have announced yet another total blazer for 2021 with the debut album from Italian deathmetal band RIEXHUMATION. ‘The Final Revelation Of Abaddon‘ will release this coming May 28th with cover art from Roberto Toderico. These guys make an incredible first impression with “The Vectorcvlt” a brutal ‘old school’ and doomed kicker that does a fine job switching up the pace throughout. Check out “The Vectorcvlt” over on YouTube : [LINK]
- Svart Publishing have announced they will issue the NORTH FROM HERE – THE SENTENCED STORY a biography for the infamous Finnish band in its first available English translation. The book was a best-seller in its Finnish language edition and now author Matti Riekki presents and eqitant undertaking in English. Svart Publishing will issue the book in July of this year with a gold foil-stamped hardcover edition. I remember discovering Sentenced when ‘North From Here’ came out, man the metal magazines at the time completely blew up over it and well, even for ‘Amok’ after it. I’d actually reviewed ‘Frozen’ when it came out, so, I am excited to finally read this book and relive some good memories. You can pre-order it now directly from Svart Records: [LINK]
- Xenokorp transmission received: The Korporation is proud to announce it’ll release a 250 copy run of a collector’s edition 180g vinyl picture disc of ‘Coloured Funeral’ the infamous second album from French death metal anti-gods MERCYLESS. The 1993 album remains vastly underrated despite its crossing of both brutal and melodic textural feats, ear-worming riffs and incredible sound. The special edition of ‘Coloured Funeral’ arrives this coming November 19th, pre-orders starting on September 13th at XENOKORP.com: [LINK]
- Purity Through Fire have announced cynical hermetic French black metal magistrates AUTARCIE‘s seventh album ‘Apogée.Ivresse.Agonie‘ will release this coming April 30th on CD, A5 digipack, vinyl LP, and cassette tape. Their 2018 album ‘Sequania’ was incredible so I am looking forward to this one. Check out the album trailer on YouTube: [LINK]
- Ahoy! RUNNING WILD, now that I have your attention… Burning Sun Records have announced an underground tribute to German pirate n’ power metal masters Running Wild which will be titled ‘Wild Privateers – An Underground Tribute to Running Wild‘ and feature eight cover songs from various heavy and power metal bands from all over the world. Not only is this a fantastic item for folks who are die-hard fans of the band but a good way to discover like-minded bands. Cassettes are limited. You can check out the preview for each song on YouTube and pre-order while tapes last here on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Everlasting Spew Records have welcomed California death/doom band CIVEROUS to their roster, aligning their grotesque style with the realm of cavernous hulks like Mortiferum, Spectral Voice and Ritual Necromancy. Look forward to their new stuff soon and check out their previous tapes in the meantime: [LINK]
- Denver, Colorado based blackened death metal quartet NOCTAMBULIST have signed to Willowtip Records who will release their sophomore album ‘The Barren Form‘ on July 2nd on CD, vinyl, cassette, and digital formats. The album’s first single, “Depletion”, is streaming now on Bandcamp: [LINK]
- Hell’s Headbangers Records have announced May 14th as the international release date for Finnish deathgrinders CADAVERIC INCUBATOR‘s second album, ‘Nightmare Necropolis‘, on CD and cassette tape formats; the vinyl LP version will follow later this year. They’ve shared a new track, “Sickly Obsessed”, which you can check out over on Hells Headbangers’ Bandcamp: [LINK]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Grave Miasma, Djevel, Cadaveric Incubator, Noctambulist, Cathexis, Ereb Altor, Autarcie, Amorite, Shevils, Bewitcher, Eisenhand, Ungfell, No Possession, Father Befouled, Exaugurate, Gosudar, Koffin, Fyrnask, Mustasch, Ewig Frost, Death SS, Osiah, Lung Knots, Parish, Zgard, Destruction, Vetter, Sabhankra and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: email@example.com
SITE WEEK IN REVIEW (3/27/21 – 4/02/21)
- Annihilate This Week 3/27/21: “A certain narrowing of consciousness and a corresponding strengthening of the unconscious.”
- This year …From the Tomb becomes Annihilate This Week, still focusing on new releases from the week but now accumulating a New Releases list/discussion in addition to short reviews for around 5-10 new albums each week. It will now post every Saturday (or Sunday) to better fit my schedule.
- This week I chose to cover 5 New Releases from April 2nd. Favorites being Můra and Heavy Trip.
- An Early Stream of “The Underworld Unveiled” from FEED THEM DEATH’s ‘Negative’ LP (2021) | PREMIERE + INTERVIEW
- Thanks to Feed Them Death and Brucia Records we got an early look at this most recently preview track from ‘Negative’. Excellent answers from Void, and perhaps a good introduction to what the project is all about as the third album gears up for release.
- The Top 20 Albums of March | 2021
- Brief thoughts on 20 of the best albums from March 2021. Includes links to full reviews, streams, and some runners-up as well. A couple of releases I covered changed release dates without any notification so, the final list order reflects one or two substitutions.
- INCLUDES: Rapture, Zaratus, Midnight Odyssey, Herzel, Anthropophagous, Ildskaer, Morte Penumbra, Trigger Cut, Stortregn, Sepulcros, Cryptosis, Mare Cognitum, Cambion, Reaper, Lunar Shadow, Kankar, Acid Age, Eyehategod, La Morte Viene Dallo Spazio, and Coffin Party.
Working on a couple of video game reviews, Werewolf: The Apocalypse — Earthblood will publish sooner or later but I decided against completing Final Fantasy VII: Remake, this is the third and final time I’ll drop off of it.
- FORSMÁN – Dönsum Í Logans Ljóma (2021) | REVIEW
- LA MORTE VIENE DALLO SPAZIO – Trivial Visions (2021) | REVIEW
- WHEEL – Preserved in Time (2021) | REVIEW
- WODE – Burn in Many Mirrors (2021) | REVIEW
- BLACK MASS PERVERTOR – Sodomiittien Seura (2021) | REVIEW
UPCOMING RELEASES (4/03/21 – 4/09/21)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a full review is drafted or in preparation. A pound (#) indicates a short review is warranted and in process. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- WHEEL – Preserved in Time [April 9th, Cruz Del Sur Music] +
- THE LIMIT – Caveman Logic [April 9th, Svart Records] *
- FORSMÁN – Do¨nsum i Logans Ljo´ma [April 9th, Ván Records] +
- HEAVY FEATHER – Mountain of Sugar [April 9th, The Sign Records]
- MANBRYNE – Heilsweg: O udrece ciala i tulaczce duszy [April 9th, Terratur Possessions]
- GOATH – III: Shaped by the Unlight [April 9th, Ván Records]
- ÅRABROT – Norwegian Gothic [April 9th, Pelagic Records] *
- MANBRYNE – Heilsweg: O udrece ciala i tulaczce duszy [April 9th, Terratur Possessions]
- SOOTHSAYER – Echoes of the Earth [April 9th, Transcending Obscurity Records] *
- THRONE – Pestilent Dawn [April 9th, Redefining Darkness Records]
- SAILLE – V [April 9th, Black Lion Records]
- SYNING – Syning [April 9th, Terratur Possessions]
- NIHT – Arcanum [April 9th, Ván Records]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.