SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (11/21/20 – 11/27/20)
- Blackened death metal trio SUFFERING HOUR have announced their second album, ‘The Cyclic Reckoning‘, is finished and will be released via Profound Lore Records in February 2021. From dudes who started pushing out wild prog death/trash in their demos, hitting upon a master-stroke of modern black/death metal on their acclaimed debut, and taking their time in approach of the next great leap no doubt Suffering Hour have benefitted from their thoughtfully paced advance. Album opener “Strongholds Of Awakening” is perhaps the representation of that next great leap, thunderous and mutilated noise akin to ‘Drought’ that soon warps into cacophonic revelation. Their EP from last year was a pathfinder satellite, and ‘The Cyclic Reckoning’ will be the museum of unheard of exploratory finds. Listen to “Strongholds of Awakening” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Swedish melodic black metal band WORMWOOD are in the process of recording their yet untitled third album. So far the record is set for release next year through their venerable label Black Lodge Records. Folks have been telling me I totally missed out on their last record in 2019 so it’ll be a treat to get the full picture next year. Check out their post and more info over on Wormwood’s Facebook page: [MORE INFO]
- One of my favorite epic doom metal bands these last several years EVANGELIST have announced they will release a special EP, ‘Ad Mortem Festinamus‘ this coming December 18th via Nine Records. For my own taste this is the sort of band that I love to return to time and again, each listen rewards the patience it demands and in turn the experience is meditative and wildly entertaining at once. Two new songs, two songs recorded during the sessions for (their other band) Deus Vult’s recent record, and a cover of Manilla Road’s “Mystification”. Sold. Check out album opener “Perceval” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Harvest of Death / Signal Rex have announced a self-titled 10″ EP from Portuguese black metal project MONS VENERIS will arrive this coming January 1st, 2021. Active since 2003 this project might’ve only put out three full-lengths since but they’ve been very prolific otherwise. This self-titled EP comes in the form of two ten minute songs, his first material since 2019. Check out a short excerpt from “A Scythe Infested With Plagues” over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- One of the more underrated melodic black/death metal bands out of the states in recent years UNCEREMONIAL have signed with Chaos Records for their upcoming debut full-length ‘Thy Will Undone‘. That is all the info we get for now but definitely check out the band’s two demos in the meantime and get up to speed. [MORE INFO]
- If you haven’t checked out AZARATH‘s latest album ‘Saint Desecration’ yet, the ruthless, maze-like nature of their brutal blasphemic work will reveal itself upon the sacrificial plateau of “Beyond the Gates of Burning Ghats”. Eugh! They’ve put up a music video, their first since forming in 1998, check it out on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- This is only vaguely heavy metal related here but, too interesting to pass up. ATTILA CSIHAR maestro vocalist from Mayhem and Tormentor (Hungary) has his own line of Cannabidiol oil Life Eternal CBD oil @ 6.66% which they’ve discounted ’til December 5th when pre-orders start hooking up. Whether you need it for anxiety, joint pain, or are piqued by the novelty of it, this is pretty cool. [MORE INFO]
- Colombian death metal band SOL DE SANGRE have announced their latest EP will be titled ‘Despair Distiller‘, and release in early 2021. These guys are all about capturing the essence of 90’s extreme metal and forging their own brand of death metal from it. The first single from the EP, “Dismal Blasphemies”, arrived yesterday along with plenty of riffs and a music video you can check out over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Hessian Firm have announced they will release ‘Offscourings‘ the upcoming second full-length from Black/death metal quartet MEFITIS this coming January 30th, 2021. The California based band truly materialized in my mind last year, earning a full rating/highest recommendation and needless to say I’m anticipating what comes next. More official news to come in time, I’ve just pulled this announcement from social media. I’ve seen some interesting comments on the cover art, I think it might seem like an off-color choice but if you were around in the 90’s (and especially 2000’s) it wasn’t such a strange thing to see the band on the cover. Decameron’s ‘My Shadow…‘ didn’t need an elaborate painting or snow-covered trees to be great and/or remembered fondly. Check out the cover art and details over on Mefitis’ Facebook page: [MORE INFO]
- Cadabra Records will release a limited 150-gram vinyl version of H.P. LOVECRAFT‘s ‘The Festival‘ featuring new art by Jesse Jacobi (whose work you’ll recognize from Tomb Mold’s ‘Planetary Clairvoyance’) this coming December 18th. The reading of Lovecraft’s 1925 story comes via the voice of Andrew Leman with a score from Fabio Frizzi, both absolute experts of their craft. Several more extras are included, I’d like to elaborate on important details, Oh… it sold out in one day. Go hit up Decibel for a clip from the reading. Hit the store for other similarly curated gems: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Altered Dead, Evangelist, Assault Sorcery, Dipygus, Huldur, Mons Veneris, Mayhemic, Deviotion, Wizards of Hazards, Winterage, Pounder, Edoma, Fucked and Bound, Rezet and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (11/21/20 – 11/27/20)
- …From the Tomb 11/23/20: “Nothing But Black Metal November Part IV”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 10 New Releases from June 12th-June 25th. There are too many things releasing on June 26th, and that’ll mean next weeks entry will deal solely with albums released that day.
- Favorites: Siculicidium, Varde, Mavorim, Prezir.
- An early stream of CEREMONIAL CASTINGS ‘Salem 1692 [MMXX]’ + INTERVIEW (2020) | PREMIERE
- Big thanks to Mr. Superchi for the thoughtfully answered interview. Ceremonial Castings has always felt like a legacy too well hidden outside of the PNW black metal canon, especially considering their key member connection to Uada, who are inarguably scaling upwards exponentially with each release.
- The re-recording is substantial, check it out.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #29 – Pneuma Hagion, Goatpenis, Black Horizon Ancient Belial, Inquisition (2020) | PODCAST
- This week the guys take a closer look at new albums from a pretty solid set of bands. If you find this episode’s bands “mainstream” in the slightest, perhaps the poop-colored KVLT glasses you’re wearing need polishing. We’ve got beatdown caverncore, ancient Brazilian warblasting that feels a bit tidy, an solo artist focused on relationships and derivative meloblack/death riffs, and the big event is Inquisition’s latest album. Finding linkages to metalcore and emo/indie rock in every corner is perhaps a symptom of an ailing future for extreme metal guitar?
- An early stream of WOMBBATH’s “Save Your Last Breath to Scream” from ‘Tales of Madness’ (2020) | PREMIERE
- Wombbath’s latest album (and second one this year) features re-recordings of demo songs from their early days (1989-1994) as well as some new songs. “Save Your Last Breath” is a new one and it is pretty fuckin’ bonkers heavy. Love the feeling of this album, it feels like they’ve pushed for weirder and wilder stuff on the new songs. ‘Tales of Madness’ releases December 18th.
Big releases this week from Azarath, Mongrel’s Cross, Possessed Steel, Loudblast, Ondskapt, Void Moon, Contrarian, Sainte Marie Des Loups, and of course Sodom. If you’re dead set on more thrash make sure you check out new albums from Greek power-thrashers Exarsis and Serbian progressive thrashers Alitor who have each returned with fantastic records; Both are on German labels with light distro in the states so, maybe just Spotify/YouTube Music for now. Also if you’re big on stoner/doom of the heavier variety check out Temple‘s ‘Funeral Planet’ & Bis•nte‘s ‘Ancestral Punishment’, both of which I hope to find time to review. I have not spent enough time with Glorious Depravity‘s latest album yet, good first impressions. Otherwise you’ll notice I’m behind on reviews for the week due to the holidays and such, if you’re new to the site this is pretty normal as I’m working on lists and all of the End of the Year/Best of 2020 stuff. There will be more reviews, one more …From the Tomb (maybe two) but I’m aiming to be done with most everything in the next two weeks.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (11/21/20 – 11/30/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- OREAMNOS – Into the Night [November 27th, Bloody Mountain Records]*
- MONGREL’S CROSS – Arcana, Scrying and Revelation [November 27th, Hell’s Headbangers Records]+
- AZARATH – Saint Desecration [November 27th, Agonia Records]+
- LOUDBLAST – Manifesto [November 27th, Listenable Records]+
- POSSESSED STEEL – Aedris [November 30th, Temple of Mystery]+
- BISONTE – Ancestral Punishment [November 24, Xtreem Music]
- VARDE – Fedraminne [November 27th, Nordvis Produktion]
- SYLENT STORM – The Fire Never Dies [November 27th, Stormspell Records]
- SODOM – Genesis XIX [November 27th, eOne]*
- PÅGÅ – The Evil Year [November 27th, Svart Records]*
- SICULICIDIUM – Az alámerülés lárvái [November 27th, Sun & Moon Records] !
- SAINTE MARIE DES LOUPS – Funérailles de Feu [November 25th, Amor Fati / Extraconscious Records]*
- VOID MOON – The Autumn Throne [November 26th, Sun & Moon Records]*
- TEMPLE – Funeral Planet [November 25th, Ozium Records]
- CELL PRESS – Cell Press [November 27th, Ancient Temple/No Funeral]
- REVOLTING – The Shadow at the World’s End [November 27th, Transcending Obscurity Records]*
- AVLIVAD – Avlivad [November 27th, Invictus Productions]
- CEREMONIAL CASTINGS – Salem 1692 [November 27th, Eisenwald]
- PSYCROPTIC – The Watcher of All [November 27th, Agonia Records/Prosthetic]
- ALCOHELLDRUGS – Infernal Metal Punk [November 30th, Murder Records]
- IRON FLESH – Summoning the Putrid [November 27th, Great Dane Records]
UPCOMING RELEASES (12/01/20 – 12/31/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MOLTEN CHAINS – Torment Enshrined [December 4th, Self-Released]*
- DEMONIAC – So It Goes [December 11th, Edged Circle Productions]*
- OPIUM WARLORDS – Nembutal [December 4th, Svart Records]*
- HORNA – Kuoleman Kirjo [December 8th, W.T.C. Productions]*
- HERETICAL SECT – Rapturous Flesh Consumed [December 11th, Gilead Media]*
- PNEUMA HAGION – Voidgazer [December 1st, Nuclear War Now! Productions] Vinyl
- ENGULFED – Vengeance of the Fallen [December 7th, Me Saco Un Ojo/Dark Descent]*
- DEEDS OF FLESH – Nucleus [December 11th, Unique Leader]*
- MORPHOLITH – Null Dimensions [December 5th, Ozium/Sludgelord]*
- PERILAXE OCCLUSION – Exponential Decay [December 11th, Chaos Records]*
- GRAVFRAKTAL – Unhallowed Death Triumph [December 4th, Iron Bonehead Productions]
- VRENTH – Baptism Death [December 18th, Rotted Life]*
- GRAFJAMMER – De Zoute Kwel [December 18th, Folter Records]*
- CARDINAL WYRM – Devotionals [December 11th, 2020]
- HADOPELAGYAL / THORYBOS – Conjuring Subterranean Vortex [December 2nd, Amor Fati]
- MORTIFERUM/HYPERDONTIA – Split 7″ [December 7th, Carbonized / Me Saco Un Ojo]
- WOMBBATH – Tales of Madness [December 18th, Transcending Obscurity Records]
- HIGH COMMAND – Everlasting Torment [December 4th, Southern Lord]
- GUILLATINE – Beheaded [December 11th, Chaos Records]
- DEPRAVITY – Grand Malevolence [December 4th, Transcending Obscurity Records]
- SERPENTS OATH – Nihil [December 4th, Soulseller Records]
- SARVEKAS – Of Atavistic Fury & Visions [December 4th, Soulseller Records]
- FOLTERKAMMER – Die Lederpredigt [December 11th, Gilead Media]
- PERDITION SECT – End Times [December 11th, Seeing Red Records]
- BRÒN – Pred Dverima Noci [December 11th, Nordvis Produktion]
- IMHA TARIKAT – Sternenberster [December 11th, Prophecy]
- DORMANTH – Complete Downfall [December 15th, Xtreem Music]
- FORDÆRV / KOKAIN / BONEJAMMER – Nu Det Nu [December 14th, Tonewood Music]
- GJOAD – Samanon [December 15th, Antiq Label]
- EOS – The Great Ascension [December 18th, Brilliant Emperor Records]
- KAVYK – Radiant Abyss [December 18th, Caustic Hollow]
- DEATHBLOW – Insect Politics [December 23rd, Sewer Mouth Records] !
- CORRUPTED SAINT – Mutilated Before the Masses [December 15th, Redefining Darkness/Raw Skull Recordz]
- DEPRESSION – Ära der Finsternis [December 31st, Murder Records]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.