SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (11/14/20 – 11/20/20)
- Trying getting this one unstuck from your skull! Victoria, British Colombia’s ALTERED DEAD have announced their second album ‘Returned to Life‘ will release this coming January 25th, 2021 through the venerable Memento Mori. Man, check out that cover art, too wild. The title track is the first preview song up for a spin and their meat-hooked down n’ dungeon deep guitar riffs have never sounded so good. Think somewhere between Cauldron Black Ram and Autopsy, groovy and filthy stuff but with a clear voice for each instrument. Check it out on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Spraying spittle and swinging arms wildly, I’ve just read we’ve got an official date for STARGAZER‘s fifth full-leng album ‘Psychic Secretions‘ which Nuclear War Now! Productions will release this coming February 1st, 2021 on both CD and vinyl LP formats. You’ll get nothing but enthusiasm from me in terms of what this band does. 90’s prog death, blackened thrash, and completely their own thing pushed to a new realm with each release. Listen to the first preview track “The Occidental Surge” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Blood Harvest Records have announced they’ve signed Polish death metal quintet CLAIRVOYANCE into their ranks. This means they’re hard at work on a mini-album in the meantime so, expect more of their razor sharp take on old school death metal soon enough! So far the only details we have is that they’re aiming for about five songs, and the recording process starts soon. Dunno who they are? At the very least they’re not making trendy shit here, nor do they sound like the typical Polish death metal you might think of off the top of your head. Check out this heavy as Hell demo from earlier this year: [MORE INFO]
- Nordvis Produktion have announced Swedish folk metal duo BHLEG will return this coming January 15th, 2021 with their latest album ‘Ödhin‘. No preview tracks or anything just yet, wait until early December, but for now you can pre-order and check out the album art/variation details on Nordvis’ shop: [MORE INFO]
- Blech! Folks all over Santa Cruz, California are stepping in what they think is fuckin’ green poop but in fact it is the splattered sentient resonance of DIPYGUS in foaming, greasy anticipation of their recently announced second album ‘Bushmeat‘ which Memento Mori will release this coming January 25th, 2021. ‘Deathooze’ was killer so I’m pretty stoked for this one, especially after hearing the first single ‘St. Augustine, FL 1896″, check it out go ape over it on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Well, holy Hell. This new song from ASPHYX, “Botox Implosion” has some serious bite to it and has me kicking my legs out from under myself. Van Drunen sounds like well, Van Drunen! Guaging from this song these guys are overdue for a return at four years beyond the last record. The legendary Netherlands-borne death metal band’s tenth full-length studio album ‘Necroceros‘ will release on January 22, 2021 through Century Media. Check out the monster album art from Axel Hermann on this one, definitely one of his best for Asphyx and that is saying a lot. Here’s hoping they get to tour this one through the states at some point. Watch the music video for the single “Botox Implosion” over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- We are now handed what is intended to be the spiritual essence of evil and you now have less than seven whole days to prepare to receive it. Who better to present these horrors than Osmose Productions who have set November 27th as the release date for Swedish black metal legends ONDSKAPT‘s fourth album, ‘Grimoire Ordo Devus‘, on CD and vinyl. These old serpent kings of Swedish orthodox Satanic black metal retain their timeless battering havoc and mortifying riffing despite taking a full ten years between releases. The first preview track “Animam Malum Daemonium” will likely be enough for most to purchase right away: Gigantic sound, thunderous and immense black metal entombment. Check it out on Bandcamp or YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Presented without warning, hype, or really any information up front we’ve all been granted INQUISITION‘s eighth album ‘ Black Mass for a Mass Grave‘ which was finished early September of 2019 and now finally ready to release via Agonia Records. An early stream of the album is available as of this week with pre-orders aiming for the second week of December in most cases. I’ve listened a couple of times and found it to be a nice mix of their early 2000’s zoned-out edges and the more modern rhythms they’d been toying with before being cancelled by the internet mob circa 2018ish? These guys have put out some of my favorite albums and I am very glad we’re getting this huge double LP from the band after several years of silence. Use this link to listen, pre-order etc. [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Ondskapt, Deeds of Flesh, Vulpecula, Fuming Mouth, Black Soul Horde, Sylent Storm, Symbtomy, Disintegration, Bonejammer, High Command, Viral, Dira Mortis, Grabunhold, Swampbeast, Depression and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? [PLEASE SUBMIT ALL 2020 PROMOS BEFORE: December 1st, to be considered this year.] Send it to me: email@example.com
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (11/14/20 – 11/20/20)
- …From the Tomb 11/16/20: “Nothing But Black Metal November Part III”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- Yes, it is that time of the year again where we hit our self-destruction goals hard via a full month of ‘Nothing but Black Metal November’ lists, five in total. This is number 3 of 5 which focuses on releases looking a couple of weeks ahead.
- Favorites: Gryftigæn, Dodenkrocht, Obscurae.
- 20 Underground THRASH METAL Albums You Missed | 2020
- Yep, it is list season again and this year I’m not going to stick to 20 releases per sub-genre list. Some will have 10 or 15 releases because only a limited number of records inspired me. I’ve included the full 20 for Thrash Metal because, well… I wanted to shine a light on both the good and bad thrash shit we’re finding all over Bandcamp (and similar places) these days.
- Favorites: Nether, Cyanide Grenade, Evil Whiplash, Darkcluster.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #28 – Azketem, Isenscur, Hanging Fortress, Glistening (2020) | PODCAST
- This week the guys discuss German black metal, dig into Graveland’s legacy a bit, touch upon the British black metal spectrum, check in with this whole “that ain’t death metal kid, that shit’s Hatebreed” movement, and provide a window into ultra cult anti-natalist underground raw black metal with a bit of… indie rock/emo influence? Excellent episode, even if I was only into the first two records.
Big releases this week from Skelethal, Eternal Champion, Lie in Ruins, Stormkeep, and Onsegén Ensemble as well as surprise releases from Inquisition, and Chevalier! No doubt these are among the best releases of the year. I absolutely love the ‘Life and Death’ 7″ EP. Dark Tranquillity, Nader Sadek, and My Dying Bride each released pretty decent records as well. I haven’t spent enough time with the new Ilsa, Æolian, Contrarian or Fuming Mouth records to have much of an opinion just yet. Definitely make an effort to check out Liminal Shroud‘s latest record over on Hypnotic Dirge Records‘ Bandcamp if you lean towards the atmosphere of post-black but want something rough-edged and still black metal in spirit. The usual cycle of reviews, features etc. will continue until I hit a point of exhaustion in the next couple of weeks. I have at least ONE more 100/100 scoring review to dole out, and there are roughly 15-20 December releases that deserve a full review. At that point we will focus entirely on lists and a few final reviews in the “to do” pile. In 2021 the weekly grind of the site will change along with the return of longer in-depth features and some “remastered” lists from 2011-2016.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (11/14/20 – 11/20/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ETERNAL CHAMPION – Ravening Iron [November 20th, No Remorse Records/Sword Worship]+
- SKELETHAL – Unveiling the Threshold [November 20th, Hell’s Headbangers Records]+
- LIE IN RUINS – Floating in Timeless Streams [November 20th, Dark Descent Records]+
- STORMKEEP – Galdrum [November 20th, Ván Records]+
- MY DYING BRIDE – Macabre Cabaret [November 20th, Nuclear Blast]
- ILSA – Preyer [November 20th, Relapse]
- CONTRARIAN – Only Time Will Tell [November 20th, Willowtip Records]
- ÆOLIAN – The Negationist [November 20th, Black Lion Records]*
- SPECTRALE – Arcanes [November 20th, LADLO]
- WHITE MAGICIAN – Dealers of Divinity [November 20th, Cruz Del Sur Music]
- FUCK THE FACTS – Pleine Noiceur [November 20th, Noise Salvation]
- NADER SADEK – The Serapeum [November 20th, Self-Released]
- MIZMOR & ANDREW BLACK – Dialetheia [November 20th, Gilead Media]
- THE SOMBRE – Shapeless Misery [November 20th, Brucia Records]
- HELLRAIZERR – Life After Death [November 24th, Reaper Metal Productions]
- PREZIR – Depredation [November 19th, Self-Released]
UPCOMING RELEASES (11/21/20 – 11/30/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- OREAMNOS – Into the Night [November 27th, Bloody Mountain Records]*
- MONGREL’S CROSS – Arcana, Scrying and Revelation [November 27th, Hell’s Headbangers Records]+
- AZARATH – Saint Desecration [November 27th, Agonia Records]*
- LOUDBLAST – Manifesto [November 27th, Listenable Records]*
- POSSESSED STEEL – Aedris [November 30th, Temple of Mystery]*
- BISONTE – Ancestral Punishment [November 24, Xtreem Music]*
- VARDE – Fedraminne [November 27th, Nordvis Produktion]
- SYLENT STORM – The Fire Never Dies [November 27th, Stormspell Records]*
- SODOM – Genesis XIX [November 27th, eOne]*
- PÅGÅ – The Evil Year [November 27th, Svart Records]*
- SICULICIDIUM – Az alámerülés lárvái [November 27th, Sun & Moon Records]*
- SAINTE MARIE DES LOUPS – Funérailles de Feu [November 25th, Amor Fati / Extraconscious Records]*
- VOID MOON – The Autumn Throne [November 26th, Sun & Moon Records]*
- TEMPLE – Funeral Planet [November 25th, Ozium Records]
- CELL PRESS – Cell Press [November 27th, Ancient Temple/No Funeral]
- REVOLTING – The Shadow at the World’s End [November 27th, Transcending Obscurity Records]*
- AVLIVAD – Avlivad [November 27th, Invictus Productions]
- CEREMONIAL CASTINGS – Salem 1692 [November 27th, Eisenwald]
- PSYCROPTIC – The Watcher of All [November 27th, Agonia Records/Prosthetic]
- ALCOHELLDRUGS – Infernal Metal Punk [November 30th, Murder Records]
- IRON FLESH – Summoning the Putrid [November 27th, Great Dane Records]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.