SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (11/07/20 – 11/13/20)
- Hell’s Headbangers Records have set December 18th as the release date for CHILDREN OF TECHNOLOGY‘s third album ‘Written Destiny‘, on CD, LP, and cassette. In the promo photo they’re vibing over a table covered with Kat, Plasmatics, Atomkraft and N.M.E. records and that pretty much says it all, eh? It’s been about six years so the line-up has shifted to a trio but judging by the first preview track “The New Barbarians”, they’re still Children of Technology and still thrashing out metalpunk/speed metal violence. Check out the song over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Oakland-based doom metal band CARDINAL WYRM have their fourth album, ‘Devotionals‘, ready to fly this December 11th via a self-release. The first single, “Nightmarchers” has a major Finnish doom metal vibe with some incredibly heavy tones landing as it plugs on at a mid-pace, the duo of Earhammer and Audiosiege is always truly impressive and it makes a real grind out of this psychedelic doom metal band. Check out the song and cassette pre-orders over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Xtreem Music and Spanish death metal legends UNBOUNDED TERROR have announced yet another release for the calendar year with ‘ Infernal Judgement’, a compilation CD which includes one brand new song, four re-recorded tracks from their 1992 album ‘Nest of Affliction’ and three live tracks recorded in August 20th during quarantine. You can check out “Infernal Judgement” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- You know, I’ve been wondering what the hype was with FROZEN SOUL since they were signed to Century Media a while back and no doubt I think it’ll be obvious when the title track from their debut album ‘Crypts of Ice‘ hits. Each the downtuned beatdown hardcore crawling movement is delivered with a treacherous old school death metal wallop, thick and crusty production that conjures the filthiest late 90’s metalcore pit music and the simplistic thud of brutal death metal’s equally moshable aspect. Somehow it still sounds like 90’s death metal but you get my drift. The album releases this coming January 8th, 2021. Check out the title track over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- German technical death metal trio PROFANITY will self-release their fourth album ‘Fragments of Solace‘ this coming December 4th. The band states: “We wanted to transport the vibe of the most important death metal releases for us from the 90s into the present and mix it with our vision of extreme music” and I would say this comes across on the preview track they’ve posted “Towards the Sun”. Still brutal, still very technical, and with a bit of a prog-death tinge to certain movements. Check out over on YouTube and Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Då går eg aleine… To singularity, a purposeful exit “Alone” and brooding quite beautifully Bergen, Norway based chanteur CHRIS WICKED has found his way into my ear with this first single, over and over like an ever-curling worm. You’ll find it via Apollon Records this coming February 15th, 2021. At the very least I won’t forget how to break up with someone in Norwegian and at most I’m intrigued to hear the rest of this melancholic rock record thanks to “Alone” which features a guest vocal from -the- Gaahl. Plus hey, if we flip down a few tracks Niklas Kvarforth guests on another track? Brilliant. Walk away with this one in your ears over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Salt Lake City, Utah-based thrash metal act DEATHBLOW have announced they’ll release their second album ‘Insect Politics‘ this coming December 23rd through their own imprint Sewer Mouth Records. Great cover artwork, nice loud mix, snarling pit thrash sound somewhere between Power Trip and Nuclear Assault’s second album, these guys make an undeniably strong impression. Check out the first single “Behind Closed Doors” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Grind towards the future, leave the stench of death behind. Or, seek deepest rotting death this coming January 25th, 2021 the day that Memento Mori have announced the second album from Spanish death metal band DEVOTION titled ‘The Harrowing‘, on CD. The first preview track “God Forlorn” is a rolling mid-paced crypt lurker, achieving a funereal fog via some unexpected choral synth and solid Morgoth feelin’ riffs. Check the song for yourself over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Greek black metal cataclysm CAEDES CRUENTA behold the crippling “Aura of Immortal Souls”, the first single from what threatens to be the most oppressive and mystic blast from their third album ‘Of Ritual Necrophagia and Mysterious Ghoul Cults‘ which Helter Skelter/Regain Records will release this coming February 12th, 2021. A forceful oath, shuddering with black energy and death’s heaviness, this is Caedes Cruenta returned and committing to rapture all unsuspecting victims to vapor. This nearly nine minutes of thunderous arrival has be absolutely pummeled into apprehension for the power of this record. Check out the song over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- German pagan black/death metal group MINAS MORGUL have returning with a new record via TrollZorn Records entitled ‘Heimkehr‘. If you’ve recognized their new vocalist then you are more thank likely a fan of Equilibruim as Robse joined just after the release of their last album ‘Kult’ (2017). The album will be available January 22nd [CD], January 15th [LP] and digitally in early February. Check out the first single “Totenschiff”, a dirge through the dead sea, on a ship of death! YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Continuing their extensive legacy of fearsome minimalist dark ambient works BEHERIT have approached from the shadows and cut the neck of the muse with their latest plunge into darkness and erasure ‘Bardo Exist‘, a forty minute trance out now on Kvlt. You can buy all manner of physical releases or listen on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Loudblast, Crown of Ascension, Cardinal Wyrm, Perilaxe Occlusion, Children of Technology, Guillatine, Inmha Tarikat, Satanize, LaColpa, Eos, Hyrgal, Funeral Fullmoon, Shadow Warrior, Deathblow, Dawnwalker and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (11/07/20 – 11/13/20)
- …From the Tomb 11/09/20: “Nothing But Black Metal November Part II.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- Yes, it is that time of the year again where we hit our self-destruction goals hard via a full month of ‘Nothing but Black Metal November’ lists, five in total. This is number 2 of 5 which focuses on releases I guess I wasn’t all that hot over.
- Favorites: Liminal Shroud, Black Mold, Goatcraft.
- An early stream of OMEGAVORTEX ‘Black Abomination Spawn’ + INTERVIEW (2020) | PREMIERE
- Don’t sleep on this psychotic void-ripping black/death-thrashing record! The most brilliant aspect of finally reaching the full-length after years of honing their major themes and craft comes via black metal integration that is absolutely optimal, darkening every corner with a new insidious horror. Yet they remain a riff obsessed death/thrash metal band in spirit, violent and angular mayhemic hatred!
- An early stream of SÉPULCRE’s ‘Ascent Through Morbid Transcendence’ Demo + INTERVIEW (2020) | PREMIERE
- French death metal trio Sepulcre are birthed fully grown via this murderous first demo, unmercifully heavy stuff from folks who’ve played with/members of Skelethal, Venefixion, Necrowretch and Demonic Oath.
- An early stream of REVOLTING’s “Defleshed” from ‘The Shadow At The World’s End’ (2020) | PREMIERE
- The latest single from Revolting‘s new album, out November 27th. I don’t think anyone noticed this.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #27 – Carved Cross, Trash, Vong, Warkvlt (2020) | PODCAST
- This week the guys take requests from friends of friends and independent bands, including: An impossible to find record, a straight up horrible pseudo-thrash record (sorry!), a 2019 Darkthrone-esque record from Vietnam which is pretty good, and a skull-slappin’ warblast from Warkvlt.
- REQUESTS – Part V (October, November) | 2020
- Ten short reviews for releases submitted by independent bands, or just submitted directly from the bands. The intent is to focus on bands that want to be reviewed but also unsigned artists. This is the best group yet this year!
- Includes: The Crypt, Inhumanity Vortex, Channeler, Holy Death, Oes Galliath, Drama Noir, Seum, Desert Lord, Shardana, Chronicles.
Big releases this week from Omegavortex, Of Feather and Bone, Dark Buddha Rising, Megaton Sword, Ymir, Cidesphere, and Soulskinner. In terms of major label stuff, I guess Soulburn released a new record but it is pretty faceless stuff, boomer Bathory-minded black/death/doom without any soul. I haven’t checked out Dehuman Reign‘s new album yet but I liked the preview track.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (11/07/20 – 11/13/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- DARK BUDDHA RISING – Mathreyata [November 13th, Svart Records]+
- OMEGAVORTEX – Black Abomination Spawn [November 13th, Invictus Productions]*
- OF FEATHER AND BONE – Sulfuric Disintegration [November 13th, Profound Lore Records]+
- SEPULCRE – Ascent Through Morbid Transcendence [November 13th, Invictus Productions]
- SOULSKINNER – Seven Bowls of Wrath [November 11th, Xtreem Music]+
- NUCLEAR – Murder of Crows [November 13th, Black Lodge Records]
- ECCLESIA – De Ecclesiæ Universalis [November 13th, Aural Music]
- MEGATON SWORD – Blood Hails Steel-Steel Hails Fire [November 13th, Dying Victims Productions]
- CIDESPHERE – Dawn of a New Epoch [November 13th, Testimony Records]
- TIME RIFT – Eternal Rock [November 13th, Dying Victims Productions]
- ISOLERT – World in Ruins [November 11th, Nihilistische KlangKunst]
- INCURSION – The Hunter [November 11th, No Remorse Records]
- HOUKAGO GRIND TIME – Bakyunsified (Moe to the Gore) [November 13, Outrageous Weeb Power Productions]
- MAD BUTCHER – Metal Lightning Attack [November 13th, Relics From the Crypt]
- THRUDVANGAR – Vegvisir [November 13th, Trollzorn]
- PRECARIA & O^ROS KAU` – Theosulphuros [November 13th, I, Voidhanger Records]
- UTHULLUN – Dirges For the Void [November 13th, Wolves of Hades]
- VÖLUR – Death Cult [November 13th, Prophecy Productions]
- KATLA – Allt þetta helvítis myrkur [November 13th, Prophecy Productions]
- THE JANITORS – Noisolation Sessions Vol. 1 [November 13th, Cardinal Fuzz/Little Cloud]
- TAMBOURINEN – Wooden Flower [November 13th, Cardinal Fuzz/Centripetal Force Records]
UPCOMING RELEASES (11/14/20 – 11/20/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ETERNAL CHAMPION – Ravening Iron [November 20th, No Remorse Records/Sword Worship]*
- SKELETHAL – Unveiling the Threshold [November 20th, Hell’s Headbangers Records]+
- LIE IN RUINS – Floating in Timeless Streams [November 20th, Dark Descent Records]*
- MY DYING BRIDE – Macabre Cabaret [November 20th, Nuclear Blast]*
- ILSA – Preyer [November 20th, Relapse]*
- CONTRARIAN – Only Time Will Tell [November 20th, Willowtip Records]*
- ÆOLIAN – The Negationist [November 20th, Black Lion Records]*
- SPECTRALE – Arcanes [November 20th, LADLO]*
- WHITE MAGICIAN – Dealers of Divinity [November 20th, Cruz Del Sur Music]*
- FUCK THE FACTS – Pleine Noiceur [November 20th, Noise Salvation]*
- NADER SADEK – The Serapeum [November 20th, Self-Released]*
- MIZMOR & ANDREW BLACK – Dialetheia [November 20th, Gilead Media]*
- THE SOMBRE – Shapeless Misery [November 20th, Brucia Records]
- STORMKEEP – Galdrum [November 20th, Ván Records]*
- HELLRAIZERR – Life After Death [November 24th, Reaper Metal Productions]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.