SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (10/20/20 – 10/26/20)
- MDD Records have announced November 27th as the official release date for the fifth full-length from Greek thrash metal band EXARSIS which will be titled ‘Sentenced to Life’ and focus on themes of censorship and societal decline. The hammer this point home and showcase some changes to their sound they’ve published a music video for the first single “Mouthtied”. They’ve swapped back to their original guitarist, who’d featured in Suicidal Angels for some time, for this album and it sounds less Artillery and more Heretic in style. Watch the video over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Turkish melodic death metal band CIDESPHERE have released a second single from their upcoming full-length ‘Dawn of a New Epoch‘, due out on Testimony Records this November 13th. “Plague of Greed” will surely be the album seller you’re looking for if you’re a big fan of At the Gates’ third and fourth albums but rest assured the full listen isn’t purely evocative of this one sound. They’ve done a fine job of making a well-rounded melodeath album. Check it out on YouTube or Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- The ever-burning Shadow Records have announced January 20th, 2021 as the release date for Mexican black/death metal warlords SACROCURSE‘s latest EP ‘Supreme Terror‘, on CD, vinyl, and cassette. A fiery ~17 minute ripper is the ideal chunk of this style where death metal terror elipses seamlessly with black metal riffing. Check out the first preview track “Heretical Catharsis” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Cruz Del Sur Music have announced their signing of Philadelphia heavy rockers SONJA who feature ex-members of Absu and current/former members of Woe in their ranks. The band’s debut full-length, ‘Loud Arriver‘, arrives circa a tentative early 2021 release date. What do they sound like? Think along the lines of Cauldron and Spell! Check out the announcement and fantastic Karmazid artwork over on Cruz del Sur’s website: [MORE INFO]
- Tied to the wheel and afire burning, German blackened death metal band THRON have announced their next collaboration with Listenable Records will be a third album entitled ‘Pilgrim’ due out February 19th, 2021 with the North American physical release coming March 5th. Impressive cover artwork from Khaos Diktator appears alongside the first single “Nothingness”. Without sounding reductive this band’s sound is akin to ‘Hrimtursum’ by Necrophobic, triumphant and sublimely violent despite their melodic nature. Classic sound and ear-bleeding loud stuff. Check it out over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Finnish death metal act REVULSION have announced their debut full-length ‘Revulsion‘ will release this coming February 5th via Transcending Obscurity Records. They’ve put up a couple of songs from the album thus far, suggesting a mix of old school death metal, heavy groove and mid-to-fast paced shotgun style death. Check it out over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Seattle technical death metal band XOTH have announced a vinyl version of their second album ‘Interdimensional Invocations‘ will be released via Dawnbreed Records this coming November 20th. They’re pretty awesome, the album art is awesome too, definitely recommended stuff. In Europe you can hit up Dawnbreed and in the US just jog over to Xoth’s Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- This November 13th Vidfare Productions/NoEvDia will release the second album from D. Rostén (Funeral Mist, Marduk) dark electronic project DOMJORD. The album will be titled ‘Gravrost‘ and promises minimalistic ideals, immersion, and the smouldering death of all men. At the moment the entire experience is available to stream over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Ok, deep breath and… Eximperituserqethhzebibšiptugakkathšulweliarzaxułum. Ah, of course the Belarusian occult technical death metal band better known as EXIMPERITUS have announced their second full-length album ‘Šahrartu‘ will release via the very capable hands of Willowtip Records in early 2021. These guys truly intent on pushing the limits of technical brutality while still making a song-like experiences, as evidenced by the impressive first single from the album, “Utpāda”. There are plenty of surprising stylistic breaks here, including a few melodic ideas that’ll have to reveal themselves to the most patient and focused listener. Transfixing stuff, and a really sharp album cover from Pär Olofsson. Check it out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- A storm of teeth and wooden, rotten tentacles lies in wait as a limited split 7″ featuring MORTIFERUM and HYPERDONTIA unveils. Carbonized Records [NA] and Me Saco Un Ojo [EU] will handle the release in their respective territories this coming December 7th. This was going to be a special relase for Kill-Town this year but, hey we still get it. Really liking the cover painted by Mortiferum’s guitarist Chase Slaker, a truly dead palette for a miserable realm. Both are up for pre-order and one of the variants is already sold out. Check ’em out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Misanthropic Aggression, Eximperitus, DomJord, Sacrocurse, Malakhim, Oes Galliath, Morne, Hellraizerr, Awrizis, The Crypt, Bloodletter, Fractal Generator, Sindar, Dune Sea, The Advent Equation, Ignitor and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (10/20/20 – 10/26/20)
- …From the Tomb 11/02/20: “Nothing But Black Metal November Part I”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- Yes, it is that time of the year again where we hit our self-destruction goals hard via a full month of ‘Nothing but Black Metal November’ lists, five in total. This is number 1 of 5 which is focus on mostly recent releases but also a few choice reissues/remasters.
- Favorites: Svartsyn, Guignol Noir, Proclamation.
- An early stream of BLOODSOAKED NECROVOID’s ‘Expelled into the Unknown Depths of the Unfathomable’ + INTERVIEW | PREMIERE
- It was a real honor not only to get the chance to interview these guys but to premiere their debut album, which is a stunning classic death/doom record, ritualistic and atmospheric in its embodiment of death peering through the veil.
- A review for the album will likely post this evening, I took a few detours this week into unexpected projects and wanted to make sure this one was properly rendered.
- Transcendence into the celestial. A conversation with SIDEREAN (2020) | INTERVIEW
- Siderean have accepted the uphill climb it could take to reinstate the stature of their previous band name, Teleport, but honestly it is the same band at their most evolved peak yet if we’re considering their latest EP. I was so impressed with this latest tape that I sent them a handful of questions and they were kind enough to answer.
- The limited run (93 copies) cassette tape of ‘Sidereal Evolution’ is, as far as I know only available on Edged Circle’s Bandcamp and it is Bandcamp Friday after all.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #26 – Ifernach / Pan Amerikan Native Front, Conjureth, Negative or Nothing, Dearthe (2020) | PODCAST
- This week The Death Metal Guy is going through some shit and finds the exact right curative in DSBM which leads to some very open conversation about the greying dissociation of depression, and… even more mortifying, The Black Metal Guy admits some truly jaw-dropping, cringe-backwards-into-your-own-butt revelations about ‘Altars of Madness’ and ‘In the Nightside Eclipse’! On top of that we’ve got some vital discussion on the trend of Native North American tribal culture finding its way into extreme metal music and from some particularly interesting perspectives, a discussion of songwriting in this first section is quite interesting. Oh and they talk about Conjureth a bit, those demos do rule.
Big releases this week from Bloodsoaked Necrovoid, Pulchra Morte, Dark Quarterer, Darkenhold, Apocryphal Revelation, Guignol Noir, and if you’re keen on dark ambient with a flair for the dramatic Dark Awake. Don’t overlook that Apocryphal Revelation album, it is great stuff if you’re into Mystifier, Moenen of Xezbeth, Abhor… where bestial black meets mystic Hellenic rot. Sólstafir is perhaps the popular heavy music record of the week and for sure it is their best since ‘Ótta’ some years ago but, also more of the same in general. I’m not sure if anyone cares if I review it… and the album is a bit too in love with the “stink” of its own atmosphere. Reviews for Bloodsoaked Necrovoid, Dark Quarterer, Apocryphal Revelation, Feed Them Death, and possibly Uncle Woe will follow shortly. The final ‘Requests’ list and the first few ’20 albums you missed in 2020′ lists are also on their way. I’ll get burnt out, you’ll learn about too much music, it’ll be fucked up.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (10/31/20 – 11/06/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- BLOODSOAKED NECROVOID – Expelled into the Unknown Depths of the Unfathomable [November 6th, Iron Bonehead Productions]*
- DARK QUARTERER – Pompei [November 6th, Cruz Del Sur Music]*
- DARKENHOLD – Arcanes & Sortileges [November 6th, LADLO]+
- PULCHRA MORTE – Ex Rosa Ceremonia [November 6th, Transcending Records]+
- APOCHRYPHAL REVELATION – Primeval Devilish Wisdom [November 1st, Nuclear War Now! Productions]*
- FEED THEM DEATH – For Our Culpable Dead [November 2nd, Brucia Records]*
- OKRUTNIK – Legion Antychrysta [November 2nd, Ossuary Records]
- HELL:ON – Scythian Stamm [November 1st, Hell Serpent Music]
- COUNTLESS SKIES – Glow [November 6, Willowtip Records]
- GELKHAMMAR – The Sword of Gelfiser [November 6th, Xenoglossy Productions]
- SABREWULF – Mala Suerte [November 6th, Petrichor]
- KIMONO DRAG QUEENS – Songs of Worship [November 6th, Copper Feast Records]
- SHAIDAR LOGOTH – Chapter III: The Void God [November 6th, Sentient Ruin/Cavsas]
- GUIGNOL NOIR – Mantric Malediction [November 6th, Repose Records]
- SHATTERED HOPE – Vespers [November 6th, Solitude Productions]
- LYKANTROPI – Tales to be Told [November 6th, Despotz Records] !
- CONSTRUCT OF LETHE – Corpsegod [November 6th, Everlasting Spew Records] !
- WAR AGENDA – Propaganda [November 6th, Great Dane Records]
- ELEANORA – Mere [November 6th, Consouling Sounds]
- DARK AWAKE – Hekateion [November 6th, Aesthetic Death]
UPCOMING RELEASES (11/07/20 – 11/13/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- DARK BUDDHA RISING – Mathreyata [November 13th, Svart Records]*
- OMEGAVORTEX – Black Abomination Spawn [November 13th, Invictus Productions]*
- SOULSKINNER – Seven Bowls of Wrath [November 11th, Xtreem Music]*
- NUCLEAR – Murder of Crows [November 13th, Black Lodge Records]*
- ECCLESIA – De Ecclesiæ Universalis [November 13th, Aural Music]*
- MEGATON SWORD – Blood Hails Steel-Steel Hails Fire[November 13th, Dying Victims Productions]
- CIDESPHERE – Dawn of a New Epoch [November 13th, Testimony Records]
- TIME RIFT – Eternal Rock [November 13th, Dying Victims Productions]
- ISOLERT – World in Ruins [November 11th, Nihilistische KlangKunst]
- INCURSION – The Hunter [November 11th, No Remorse Records]
- HOUKAGO GRIND TIME – Bakyunsified (Moe to the Gore) [November 13, Outrageous Weeb Power Productions]
- MAD BUTCHER – Metal Lightning Attack [November 13th, Relics From the Crypt]
- THRUDVANGAR – Vegvisir [November 13th, Trollzorn]
- PRECARIA & O^ROS KAU` – Theosulphuros [November 13th, I, Voidhanger Records]
- UTHULLUN – Dirges For the Void [November 13th, Wolves of Hades]
- VÖLUR – Death Cult [November 13th, Prophecy Productions]
- KATLA – Allt þetta helvítis myrkur [November 13th, Prophecy Productions]
- THE JANITORS – Noisolation Sessions Vol. 1 [November 13th, Cardinal Fuzz/Little Cloud]
- TAMBOURINEN – Wooden Flower [November 13th, Cardinal Fuzz/Centripetal Force Records]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.