SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (10/24/20 – 10/30/20)
- The long awaited follow-up to ‘Spooky Vol. I‘ featuring Acid Witch/Nunslaughter in 7″ form, ‘Spooky Vol. II‘, will feature ACID WITCH and VAULTWRAITH each contributing 70’s comic inspired horror and Halloween appropriate death camp. Let’s assume it is coming out on Halloween via Hell’s Headbangers Records. Apparently they’ve had this one ready to go since 2017 so, out with it already. Just keep refreshing the website a thousand times a day ’til it posts for sale: [MORE INFO]
- The ever-inspired admixture of afrobeat and 70’s heavy, bluesy metal is the sole proprietorship of Los Angeles’ own HERE LIES MAN, one of my personal favorite live acts of the last several years, as they reach their fourth album milestone still very inspired and still pushing hard at work on this forward-thinking, backwards feelin’ groove. It has been a slow rise towards ‘Ritual Divination‘ but it sounds like this might be the one that goes big, like great big and wild off it’s ass. Check out this first single “I Told You (You Shall Die)” and see if it catches your head the way it hooks in mine. Truly original stuff, which’ll be released on RidingEasy Records circa January 21st, 2021. Check out that first single over on Bandcamp in the meantime: [MORE INFO]
- Whoa! French death metal band SKELETHAL aren’t chill at all on this new music video for “Repulsive Recollections” the latest single from their upcoming second album, ‘Unveiling the Threshold‘. They’ve gone Grave heavy and Unleashed semi-angular for this ripping death metal jam. I was going radio silent ’til it was review time but this has me pretty hyped. The album releases November 20th via Hell’s Headbangers Records. Check out the video for “Repulsive Recollections” over on YouTube:[MORE INFO]
- Well-known Spanish melodic death metal band DORMANTH have just released a music video for “Tragicomic Day” the second single from their fourth album ‘Complete Downfall‘ up for release this December 15th via Xtreem Music. This band have always had those early 90’s Paradise Lost hooks but this album seems to have some updated style with much better drumming. Very catchy song, I think I put it on repeat at least four times. Check it out over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- The always very kind folks at Norwegian distro/label Nordic Mission will still be presenting their annual NORDIC FEST 2020 event but it will be broadcast over YouTube: youtube.com/c/NordicMission777 this November 13th-14th. In their words: “Between the shows we will serve live interviews, seminars, share holy communion, exclusive news and content” So, keep in mind they are perhaps one of the largest Christian metal distros in the world probably the best place to find old Christian thrash vinyl reissues these days, too. The live feed will feature live performances broadcast from Sweden, Finland and Norway clubs. I would say check it out to see Pantokrator. More information on their website: [MORE INFO]
- Canadian avant-doom ritualists VÖLUR have premiered a second piece from their upcoming third full-length ‘Death Cult‘, the surreal violin-estranged vibes of “Dead Moon”. An exemplar piece meant to showcase their evolution beyond post-doom norms. The album is set to release via Prophecy Productions this November 13th. Check out “Dead Moon” on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- BLACK TUSK and CHILD BITE are gettin’ weird with prong, er a Prong cover here with their entertaining take on “Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck”, which folks might not remember was a huge radio hit in syndication for the latter half of the 90’s ’til radio died a bit later. I remember seeing Prong with Sepultura and Pantera that year (1994) and it felt like the biggest fuckin’ nuke that’d ever hit at the time… So much drop tuning. Anyhow, the video for this is pretty entertaining and the cover is pretty faithful to the actual bop of the tune. [MORE INFO]
- Australian technical death metal band PSYCROPTIC have announced their latest EP, ‘The Watcher Of All‘ for a November 27th release via Agonia Records for the 12″ vinyl version and the digital version via Prosthetic Records. So far they’ve released the first song “A Fragile Existence” for preview and it is pretty solid overall. I’m not sure how I feel about a two song 12″ but the pre-orders are clearly going very fast and the song is, again, pretty sharp stuff and it sounds like they’ve picked up some Ulcerate edges here and there, however subtle. Check it out for yourself over on Bandcamp or you can watch a music video for the song over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- This one I’d consider hotly anticipated by those in the know, Amor Fati Productions (CD) and Extraconscious Records (vinyl) have partnered and set the date of release of November 25th for SAINT MARIE DES LOUPS‘ second album ‘Funérailles de Feu‘, on CD and vinyl LP formats. The first preview track “Interdit et oublié” showcases the raw mastery of the solo project via its insistent and unforgiving riff style. Play it a bit too loud over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have set January 22nd, 2021 as the release date for Portland-based (and I believe Belgium born) black metal raven HULDER‘s debut album ‘Godslastering Hymns of a Forlorn Peasantry‘ on all formats. The first single “Upon Frigid Winds” is energetic, menacing, and mystic in its use of keyboards to enhance the edges of the artist’s subtle melodic intent. Entrancing pagan black spirit, mysterious aura alight and maybe even a step up from her earlier material. Check out the video for “Upon Frigid Winds” over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- The latest EP from grinding black/death killers SCOUR will be entitled ‘Black’ and is up for release here pretty soon this November 27th through Housecore Records/Nuclear Blast. The first preview track, opener “Doom” is basically deathgrinding Mayhem and I’m into it. Love the drumming on this and I guess the song has Erik Rutan in there somewhere too? Wild. Pat O’Brien from Cannibal Corpse and actor Jason Mamoa (?) also bump in on a few tracks. I don’t know shit about anything but I’d say this gig is album ready, if that is in the cards at any point, really solid stuff with deathstroke drumming. Check out “Doom” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Puke it up fast! What southern California death trawlers VRENTH are spewing you don’t want to ingest, this toxic sludge thick and blood-sick act has members of Ruin, Gravehill and Ascended Dead on board for this first album ‘Baptism Death‘, which Rotted Life Records has just announced for release this December 18th. Guts-shaking filth, newborn sacrifice and plenty of monstrous doom piled on, too. Hit up Vrenth on Facebook for more info, I’m sure a preview track will be up on RL’s Bandcamp etc. soon enough: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Transylvania, My Dying Bride, Sainte Marie des Loups, Flail, Hadopelagyal, Dormanth, Black Death Cult, Vrenth, Machetazo, Cognizent, Ajera, The Janitors, Tambourinen, Liminal Shroud, Alcohelldrugs, Pothamus, Stormkeep, Pedigree, Katla, Volur, Portrayal of Guilt, Slowly Building Weapons and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: email@example.com
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (10/24/20 – 10/30/20)
- …From the Tomb 10/26/20: “Distant, toneless humming which is never silent.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 9 New Releases from October 23rd-October 31st. There are too many things releasing this month, as per usual, so I’ll have to get back to the 30-40 I couldn’t cover just yet.
- Favorites: Summoning Death, Sulphur Sun, Mercyless.
- The Top 20 Albums of October | 2020
- Thoughts on 20 of the best albums released this month. This was a hard list to choose as I’d really wanted to include Noxis, Disrupted, Henrik Palm, Griffon and a few others that’d felt like truly passionate works.
- Includes: Gorephilia, Siderean, Metz, Invincible Force, Undeath, USA Nails, Malicious, Wombripper, Zoldier Noiz, Wayfarer, Cynabare Urne, Occult Burial, R.I.P., Hexer, Kraken Duumvirate, Coexistence, Sumac, Prometheus, Uncle Woe.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #25 – Mörk Gryning, Sardonic Witchery, Nihil Invocation, Molecular Fragmentation (2020) | PODCAST
- This week the guys serve some well-deserved enthusiasm for the new Mork Gryning album and go on to discuss the finer points for three other albums I didn’t care too much about. The conversation around Nihil Invocation and US Raw Black Metal was vital and interesting, and I think they got me to come around on some of the ideas Sardonic Witchery is working towards in their own way.
- The Last of Us Part II (2020) | REVIEW
- As we reach for the end of 2020 I’ve realized that at this point I’ve beaten maybe four video games released this year. So, here is a review for the latest, a sequel to a game I’d really loved at the end of the Playstation 3 cycle. It is alright, good story with massively dated gameplay. Of course the review is a bit more in-depth than that…
- Upcoming revival of the BACKLOG feature will contain short reviews for: Trials of Mana, Ys Origin, and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 where I will make a very final decision on playing “anime” video games, once and for all.
Big releases this week from Malicious, Wombripper, Disrupted, Cynabare Urne, Occult Burial, Noxis, Witchtrap, Summoning Death, and October Falls. I didn’t receive Grafvitnir‘s album but I generally love their stuff so I’ll look for it. I’m still working on getting more listens in for Svartsyn and Kyrios latest albums, they’re in the works. This weekend I’ll be working on a few lists but I will shoot for getting Noxis, Uncle Woe, and a few others back in the pipeline. The next couple of weeks are going to straight up rule so I’m pushing through a lot of the late October remnants to get there in time.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (10/24/20 – 10/31/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- SACRAMENTUM – Finis Malorum [October 30th, Vic Records] Remaster
- MALICIOUS – Deranged Hexes [October 30th, Invictus Productions]*
- WOMBRIPPER – Macabre Melodies [October 26th, Memento Mori]+
- OCCULT BURIAL – Burning Eerie Lore [October 30th, Invictus/Electric Assault/Stygian Black Hand/Temple of Mystery]+
- NOXIS – Expanse of Hellish Black Mire [October 30th, Rotted Life/Pulverized]*
- CYNABARE URNE – Obsidian Daggers and Cinnabar Skulls [October 30th, Helter Skelter/Regain]+
- CARCASS – Despicable [October 30th, Nuclear Blast]
- CONVULSE – Deathstar [October 30th, Transcending Records]
- SARCATOR – Sarcator [October 30th, Redefining Darkness Records]
- SVARTSYN – Requiem [October 30th, Carnal Records] !
- FUNERAL HARVEST – Funeral Harvest [October 30th, Signal Rex]
- SAD – Misty Breath of Ancient Forests [October 31st, Purity Through Fire]
- DISRUPTED – Pure Death [October 26th, Memento Mori/De:Nihil]*
- WATASHI DAKE – Feral [October 26th, Inferna Profundus Records]
- BEGRABNIS – Izanaena [October 28th, Weird Truth Productions]+
- KRATZER – Alles Liegt In Scherben [October 29th, 7 Degrees Records]
- SVABHAVAT – Black Mirror Reflection [October 30th, Eisenwald]
- JUNIOR BRUCE – Pray For Death [October 30th, Sludgelord Records]
- DEAD HEAD – Kill Division [October 30th, Petrichor] Remaster
- HOLY DEATH – Deus Mortis [October 30th, Self-Released]
- SLAGMARK – Radical Malice [October 30th, Purity Through Fire]
- THE KRYPTIK – Behold Fortress Inferno [October 30th, Purity Through Fire]
- YAOTL MICTLAN – Sagrada Tierra del Jaguar [October 30th, American Line Productions]
- GONG WAH – Gong Wah [October 30th, Tonzonen Records]
- SULPHUR SUN – Placodermic Heraldry [October 30th, Self-Released]
- SCARDUST – Strangers [October 30th, M-Theory Audio]
- ICARE – Kaos [October 30th, Division Records]
- INSIDIOUS DISEASE – After Death [October 30th, Nuclear Blast]
- ASPHYXIATOR – Trapped Between Two Worlds [October 30th, Vic Records]
- REVEREND – A Gathering of Demons [October 30th, Vic Records]
- BLEEDING OUT – Lifelong Death Fantasy [October 30th, Profound Lore Records]
- VIOLENT LIFE VIOLENT DEATH – The Color of Bone [October 30th, Inner Strength Records]
- SERPENTS OF SECRECY – Ave Vindicta [October 30th, Moving the Earth Records]
- DEAD END AMERICA – Crush the Machine [October 30th, Southern Lord Recordings]
- ALISON COTTON – Only Darkness Now [October 30th, Cardinal Fuzz]
- DESASTER / DECAYED – Split 7″ [October 31st, Helldprod Records]
- ESSENCE OF BLASPHEMERS – Calyx of Black Metal Blood [October 31st, Purity Through Fire]
- ODIOSOR – Syvyyksistä [October 31st, Purity Through Fire]
- MAVORIM / AD MORTEM – Iudicium Ultimum [October 31st, Purity Through Fire]
- OCTOBER FALLS – Syys [October 31st, Purity Through Fire]
- RUFF MAJIK – The Devil’s Cattle [October 30th, Mongrel Records]
- SUMMONING DEATH – One Step Beyond [October 31st, Chaos Records]
UPCOMING RELEASES (11/01/20 – 11/06/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- BLOODSOAKED NECROVOID – Expelled into the Unknown Depths of the Unfathomable [November 6th, Iron Bonehead Productions]*
- DARK QUARTERER – Pompei [November 6th, Cruz Del Sur Music]*
- DARKENHOLD – Arcanes & Sortileges [November 6th, LADLO]*
- PULCHRA MORTE – Ex Rosa Ceremonia [November 6th, Transcending Records]*
- APOCHRYPHAL REVELATION – Primeval Devilish Wisdom [November 1st, Nuclear War Now! Productions]*
- FEED THEM DEATH – For Our Culpable Dead [November 2nd, Brucia Records]*
- OKRUTNIK – Legion Antychrysta [November 2nd, Ossuary Records]
- HELL:ON – Scythian Stamm [November 1st, Hell Serpent Music]
- COUNTLESS SKIES – Glow [November 6, Willowtip Records]
- GELKHAMMAR – The Sword of Gelfiser [November 6th, Xenoglossy Productions]
- SABREWULF – Mala Suerte [November 6th, Petrichor]
- CULT BURIAL – Cult Burial [November 6, Self-Released]
- SHAIDAR LOGOTH – Chapter III: The Void God [November 6th, Sentient Ruin/Cavsas]
- GUIGNOL NOIR – Mantric Malediction [November 6th, Repose Records]
- SHATTERED HOPE – Vespers [November 6th, Solitude Productions]
- LYKANTROPI – Tales to be Told [November 6th, Despotz Records] !
- CONSTRUCT OF LETHE – Corpsegod [November 6th, Everlasting Spew Records] !
- WAR AGENDA – Propaganda [November 6th, Great Dane Records]
- ELEANORA – Mere [November 6th, Consouling Sounds]
- DARK AWAKE – Hekateion [November 6th, Aesthetic Death]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.