SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (10/10/20 – 10/16/20)
- Careful with the volume knob with this one, Swedish stoner doom metal band TEMPLE have announced their upcoming Ozium Records album ‘Funeral Planet‘ will see release on all formats this November 25th. The first preview track, “Funeral Planet”, is absolutely fuckin’ nuclear in its slow-stomping psychedelic burn. Doesn’t sound original by any means but certainly is exemplar of that giganto fuzz-stacked stoner sound. Go check out “Funeral Planet” on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Nuclear War Now! Productions have announced the warp of the world’s hive mind will rest a coiled serpent of death, ready to strike until February 2021 when they’ve projected the fifth studio album from Australian mystikal death metal titans STARGAZER will land upon us, suffocating all but the worthiest of ear. I will sit dead without meaning until ‘Psychic Secretions‘ reignites. They’ve suggested a preview track is upcoming and I probably could’ve waited but I can’t think of a more exciting announcement. Ah! But what if I told you Zbigniew Bielak did the cover artwork? Of course, you’ve been stricken by anticipatory diarrhea by now as well. Wipe up, and head over to StarGazer’s Facebook to check out the artwork. [MORE INFO]
- Need riffs right now? You’re a couple of clicks away from “Consecrated And Consumed” the latest single from OF FEATHER AND BONE‘s major league blaster of a second album ‘Sulfuric Disintegration‘. It isn’t all that far off now, landing via Profound Lore this November 13th. Love the drums on these preview tracks, the first album was big but this one sounds beyond furious. Check out “Consecrated and Consumed” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Dark Descent Records have announced they will release Finnish death metal act LIE IN RUINS‘ third album, ‘Floating in Timeless Streams‘ this coming November 20th on CD, digital and vinyl. It is wild to think about how much disrespect the band received for delivering a ~70 minute epic for their second album back in 2014, it’d have been understandable if the record wasn’t solid overall. This new record won’t be the first we’ve heard of the band in the last six years but I am certainly guilty of entirely missing their ‘Demise’ EP from 2018. Based on this first preview track, “Spectral Realms of Fornication” there is a reinvigorated, ‘epic’ minded salvo readied for this third album. Always brilliant, slightly blackened atmospheric values but yet entirely aggressive old school death metal in motion. For me this beats that latest Necrophobic by a mile. Check it out for yourself over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Blut & Eisen Productions have released STRIGES debut album ‘Verum Veterum‘ without any hype or preamble, it can be streamed in full on W.T.C. Productions‘ Bandcamp. I believe this was originally a project between Shatraug (Horna, Sargeist, et al.) and Blackheart (ex-Drowning the Light, Atra) but beyond that first very raw demo the band would eventfully include Vimur’s Vaedis on vocals and LRH (Bythos, Horna, Deathchain et al.) on drums. The sound is much ‘cleaner’ now, feeling appropriately second wave in it obsidian wavelength but the dee register of the clean vocals will feel fairly unique in between rasping tirades. I look forward to taking a closer listen, you can hear it all over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Here is something undeniably special, a twenty minute thrash metal song from Chilean thrashers DEMONIAC is perhaps the most incredible way to introduce their upcoming second album ‘So It Goes‘ to be released this December 11th, via Edged Circle Productions. This is one of the most inspiring things I’ve heard in 2020, a pure thrash metal epic that recalls Hexen’s peak and pushes it even further with their own gritty progressive sensibility. I am completely blown away by this one! Check out the title track over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Listenable Records have announced they’ve signed Singapore’s long-running black/death institution IMPIETY into their ranks, suggesting a new album will be on its way in 2021. These guys have definitely kept it brutal and extreme without becoming entirely stuck in the past over the last three decades, as evidenced by their ultra-brutal ‘Versus All Gods’ record which was self-released last year and then via Evil Dead/Hell’s Headbangers this year. Read the full press release and keep up with Impiety on their Facebook page: [MORE INFO]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have announced Swedish black metal quintet MALAKHIM‘s debut album ‘Theion‘ will release this coming January 8th, 2021 on CD and vinyl LP formats. Excellent new, excellent band and that is some excellent album artwork. All that I know about this band so far is that they feature Naglfar’s original guitarist, their ‘II’ EP was excellent, and the style leans a bit more towards occult black metal, at least to my ear. Listen and decide for yourself over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Is the new album from AZARATH, ‘Saint Desecration‘, due out on Agonia Records this November 27th, going to be heavy? Yes, I can say definitively that the first single from the album “Sancta Dei Meretrix” is evidence enough that this album is going to slaughter all lambs. Absolutely love what Audiosiege does for this type of band, giving the drums superior punch without sounding artificial. Check out the song on Bandcamp, there is also a lyric video up on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- War Anthem Records have announced the unrelenting Swedish furor of SERPENTS‘ second EP ‘The Brimstone Clergy‘ will unleash this November 30th. The Örebro trio invoke a style somewhere between brutal orthodoxy and Marduk’s circa 2005 hammering, my guess is whomever they are behind the masks there is a great death metal band in their past/present. The evidence? Check out the precision riffs all over this “End the Slavery of Being” single from the album (SoundCloud): [MORE INFO]
- Colorado’s stoner/doom metal ritualists GREEN DRUID have announced their second album ‘At the Maw of Ruin‘ will release this December 4th via Earache Records. Sounds entirely different than their first album and I won’t likely review it unless it is sent to me, but I got a notification on Bandcamp and figured I’d pass it along. The 11 minute opener “The Forest Dark” is jaw-dropping at times, plenty of venom and huge mind-scouring fuzz tones. [MORE INFO]
- “The Promethean Fire” is the first single from French death metal band LOUDBLAST‘s upcoming album ‘Manifesto‘. Slime, cockroaches, mud and ritual lead us through this particularly dark music video. The style of the song is interesting, more pensive than expected and not concerned with brutality for the sake of the narrative. Looking forward to seeing how the album ends up. Watch the video over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Me Saco Un Ojo Records and Dark Descent Records have set December 7th as release date for the latest EP from Turkish death metal band ENGULFED which will be titled ‘Vengeance of the Fallen‘. If you are not already familiar with the trio’s style, think along the lines of melodic black/death metal squarely set upon old school death metal parameters. Engulfed features members of Hyperdontia and Burial Invocation, adding more weight to the legacy of these always impressive songwriters and riff-craftsmen. “Rites of the Abandoned Heretics” is a fine example of this band at their best, blending surreal death metal with strong melodic passages and technical touches. Check it out over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Molten Chains, Undeath, Dark Buddha Rising, Ilsa, Engulfed, Begabnis, Krushhammer, Speedkiller, Temple, Grayceon, Striges, Demoniac, Serpents, Of Feather and Bone, Scalp, Shattered Hope, Petrine Cross, Valravn, Guignol Noir, Deathroll, Ceremonial Castings, Seismic, Goatcraft and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (10/10/20 – 10/16/20)
- …From the Tomb 10/12/20: “Melancholy and silent, as though in a gloomy wood, astray.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 8 New Releases from October 9th through October 16th, 2020.
- Favorites: Cursed Blood, Monoshock, Arsebreed.
- Overlooked Releases – Q3 | 2020
- Here is a list with short reviews of 18 releases I’d not made time for a full review of between July 1st and September 30th. These are largely a sort of “best of” what I missed during that three month span.
- I wasn’t expecting to finish this list this week but I was compelled to get all of my thoughts down. Let me know if there are some bad grammatical issues, some of it was obnoxious lucid possession.
- Favorites: Proselytism, Ysengrin, Reverorum Ib Malacht, Pazuzu, Intoxicated, Coltre, Krallice, Nekus.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #23 – Ildskær, Cimetière, Elcrost, Toadeater (2020) | PODCAST
- This week the The Death Metal Guy and The Black Metal Guy go full fuckin’ black metal on us but the thread is not so predictable as they touch upon an album I personally love (and requested) by Danish duo Ildskær. From there a deeper examination of what modern black metal is becoming as the raw melodious punk-infused Cimetière gnashes through. As the weirdly 90’s but also post-black/progressive (?) Elcrost gives way to the latest Toadeater some discussion on the importance of black metal history to new generations foams to a head.
- A great episode! Exactly the sort of in-depth analysis that made me want to support their efforts. Genre, music theory, and songwriting tropes of extreme metal considered in a very pleasant conversational format.
Big releases this week from Siderean, Wayfarer, Henrik Palm, and Goratory. Spirit Adrift and Mutilate released new records but somehow neither promo made it to me, despite having reviewed everything they’ve ever done. Not sour about that, but I don’t think I’ll have time to cover each down the road. Kill/death ratio lost. The Mutilate album is good, an HM-2 chunking record that comes a bit unexpected, first song has an early Paradise Lost riff that is very satisfying. As I write this I am working down a list of some other big new releases: Infera Bruo‘s latest, Benediction‘s apparent ‘comeback’ record which I’m not feeling yet (a 45 minute double LP? what the fuck!), and perhaps the nicest surprise of the week a new double LP from Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean, an obscure sludge metal band who’re gloriously extreme. Absolutely go check out ‘The Vestige‘ if you are big on real sludge, the stuff that is pure ugliness, suffering and grotesque sonic excess.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (10/10/20 – 10/16/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- HENRIK PALM – Poverty Metal [October 16th, Svart Records]+
- SIDEREAN – Sidereal Evolution [October 16th, Edged Circle Productions] Cassette
- ARSEBREED – Butoh [October 13th, Brutal Mind]
- BERGETON – Miami Murder [October 15th, MeusRecords/Darkhan Music]
- DEATH NOIZE – Rites, Curses and Spells [October 15th, Bestial Burst/Metal or Die]
- VULTOR – Visoes do Fim [October 15th, Murder Records]
- GORATORY – Sour Grapes [October 16, Everlasting Spew Records]+
- OBLIVION BEACH – Cold River Spell [October 16th, Schwarzdorn Production]
- APHONIC THRENODY – The Great Hatred [October 16th, Transcending Obscurity]
- WAYFARER – A Romance With Violence [October 16th, Profound Lore Records]+
- ANARCHOS / MORBID STENCH – Ghospels of Necromancy [October 16th, Blood Harvest]
- KRAKEN DUUMVIRATE – The Stars Below, The Seas Above [October 16, Silent Future Recordings]+
- SEPTAGE – Septic Decadence [October 16th, Me Saco Un Ojo]
- FALSE GODS – No Symmetry… Only Disillusion [October 16th, Seeing Red Records]
- ODAX – The King is Dead [October 16th, Inverted Kite Records]
- HERBCRAFT – Trash Heap [October 16th, Cardinal Fuzz/Flower Room Records]
- MONOSHOCK – Runnin’ Ape Like From The Backwards Superman [October 16th, Cardinal Fuzz/Feeding Tube Records]
- FUMAROLE – Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes [October 16th, Interstellar Smoke Records]
UPCOMING RELEASES (10/01/20 – 10/10/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ISKANDR – Gelderse Poort [October 23rd, Eisenwald]+
- INVINCIBLE FORCE – Decomposed Sacramentum [October 22nd, Dark Descent Records]+
- USA NAILS – Character Stop [October 23rd, Hex Records/Bigout Records]*
- GRIFFON – ‘o Theos, o Basileus’ [October 23rd, LADLO]*
- PROMETHEUS – Resonant Echoes From Cosmos of Old [October 23rd, I, Voidhanger Records]*
- UNDEATH – Lesions of a Different Kind [October 23rd, Prosthetic Records]*
- WOBBLER – Dwellers of the Deep [October 23rd, Karisma Records]*
- THANATOPSIS – Initiation [October 23rd, Extreme Metal Music]
- WEALD AND WOE – The Fate of Kings and Men [October 23rd, Folkvangr Records]*
- DEMONICAL – World Domination [October 23rd, Agonia Records]*
- DISTANT – Dawn of Corruption [October 23rd, Unique Leader]
- THRASHWALL – Thrashwall [October 19th, Firecum Records]
- COEXISTENCE – Collateral Dimension [October 23rd, Transcending Obscurity Records]
- KEVEL – Mutatis Mutandis [October 23rd, I, Voidhanger Records]
- KOSMOVOROUS – Glorification Sermons [October 23rd, I, Voidhanger Records]
- OLD MOTHER HELL – Lord of Demise [October 23rd, Cruz Del Sur Music]
- CELESTIAL SEASON – The Secret Teaching [October 23rd, Burning World Records]*
- CELESTIAL SEASON – Forever Scarlet Passion/Solar Lovers [October 23rd, Burning World Records]
- SOMNUS THRONE – Somnus Throne [October 23rd, Burning World Records]
- CONVULSIF – Exctint [October 23rd, Hummus Records]
- BLEAKHEART – Dream Griever [October 23rd, Sailor Records]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.