SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (9/26/20 – 10/02/20)
- Canadian grindcore band FUCK THE FACTS will release their eighth album, ‘Pleine Noirceur‘ this November 20th through their own Noise Salvation imprint. The band have been fully independent for some time now and it seems to have done wonders for producing more potent, self-directed work. Check out the title track over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Yet more news out of our polite northern neighbors — Sentient Ruin have announced ‘The Tides of Blood‘, the debut LP by Vancouver BC-based death metal band CEREMONIAL BLOODBATH will release this October 23rd on vinyl and cassette format, allow some extra time for the vinyl approach. This black/death blast comes via members of Ahna and Grave Infestation, which should be endorsement enough! [MORE INFO]
- Our fantastic spiked n’ thrashing brethren in Helldprod Records have announced a killer split 7″ EP between German legends DESASTER and Portuguese gods DECAYED to be released this October 31st. Very important forever underground bands who’ve each been doing their own thing for decades. They’ve put up a sample track that combines clips from each song up on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- With all of their constituent members kicking around in other bands recently I’d still not been able to predict the return of the Netherlands-based brutalists ARSEBREED who have announced a new album titled ‘BUTOH‘ which will be released this October 13th on Brutal Mind. The band features members of Pyaemia and Disavowed so, you’re gonna get hit pretty hard. They’ve released a lyric video for “Recomposed” on YouTube or you can listen over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- What a surreal thing to get to even talk about! CARCASS, y’know the British kids who’d given us deathgrind/goregrind and proper rockin’ melodeath? I remember being like… twelve and putting on a ‘Heartwork’ CD in the garage, trying to play those songs without dropping a full two steps and marveling at how the music filled the room. Well anyhow, we’d all waxed nostalgia enough when they’d returned with a solid album in 2013. What next? Well, seven years later the band returns with a new EP, ‘Despicable‘, due on on Nuclear Blast this October 30th, it is meant as a precursor to their seventh album due in 2021. I’m into it, been following the preview songs for the last 8-9 months. You can pre-order [Here] or listen to the latest single over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- O’ unlit tunnel, oh the endless dark. The Albert Witchfinder (Reverend Bizarre) has a bout of double LP doom-laden heavy metal in hand via the announcement of the fifth OPIUM WARLORDS album, ‘Nembutal‘. If you’re not familiar with the project, no problem as this one is a bit different described as a “sweaty return to a crystal clear existence after a most severe depression.” Alright, hold on and let me find a credit card to throw at the screen. The eight song odyssey will be released by the fine Finnish folks at Svart Records this December 4th. And O’ what a preview they’ve provided with a damned 20 minute track “A Heavy Heart” sure to stir the hearts still attuned to the fellow’s legacy of odd and sorrowful music. Take a gander, and take a seat over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Environmentalist Mallorcan melodic death metal quintet ÆOLIAN returns with a much-anticipated second full-length ‘The Negationist’, which is due out on Black Lion Records on CD and digital this November 20th. One of the more inspired evolutions of the Swedish/Finnish amplification of melodic death metal as the style matured beyond the early 2000’s, think along the lines of Insomnium or later Be’lakor to start. Æolian seemed to burst from the womb on their debut and here they’re sounding no less inspired. Check out album opener “Momentum” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Egyptian-American artist NADER SADEK will self-release his upcoming EP ‘The Serapeum‘ on November 20th. The EP is the first release since 2014’s ‘The Malefic: Chapter III’ EP and serves as a glimpse of the upcoming ‘Malefic’ full-length slated for the first half of 2021. There are quite a few guest musicians of note here, too many to mention, but Karl Sanders (Nile) and Derek Roddy (Serpents Rise) are among them. Recording mystic blackened death metal in ancient Egyptian tombs? Unprecedented and thrilling to consider. We’ve only got a teaser for the EP for now, over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Polish blackened death metal masters AZARATH have revealed the details and pre-orders for their seventh studio album ‘Saint Desecration‘. The release date is slated for November 27th via the always killer Agonia Records. The cover art from Hypnagogic Painting is intense, moldering colors and cryptic occult acts depicted. I’ve been a huge fan of this band since ‘Blasphemers’ Maledictions’ (2011) and discovered their records in a sort of random order from there. Of course it is worth mentioning Inferno (Behemoth, ex-Damnation) remains the founder of the band with current and former members of Lost Soul, Armagedon, and Embrional representing decades of Polish death metal underground work between them. Highly anticipated on my end. Pre-order or wishlist over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- One of my most anticipated black metal releases slated for November release this year comes in the form of SICULICIDIUM‘s latest full-length ‘Az alámerülés lárvái‘ which releases November 27th through the fantastic Sun & Moon Records. While the band suggest this is a vitally primal record, raw and meant to embody ancient and unpure ethos, prepared with their eternally unique sense of horror and black metal majesty. The first preview track “Elidegenedés – tagadás (Alienation – Denial)” is up on Bandcamp, may it assault and entrance! : [MORE INFO]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have set December 4th as the release date for GRAVFRAKTAL‘s debut 12″ EP ‘Unhallowed Death Triumph‘. Between members of Deathwitch, Kill, and Bestial Mockery you get a sense of the the evil, primal death metal they’re bringing. Consider early Pentacle, Sadistic Intent, among others as you witness “Carnage Unto Dimensional Oblivion” over on SoundCloud: [MORE INFO]
- If you’re a fan of bullet-hell shooters, sci-fi themes, robots, and frickin’ power metal~ strap on Astral Gunners, a video game which I believe is hitting Early Access on Steam today (October 2nd). I’m mentioning this because Minneapolis, Minnesota prog-sludgers RED\\SHIFT contributed to the soundtrack for the game, providing guitar solos and whatnot (check out “Surfin the Cosmos”). Click the game’s name for a Steam link, and hit up Bandcamp for the soundtrack: [MORE INFO]
- Oh! Vienna, Austria’s heavy metal masters MOLTEN CHAINS have unveiled the first track (“Revenge Unbound”) from their upcoming full-length ‘Torment Enshrined‘. What an incredible intro on this piece, it’ll make you think you’re about to step into a black metal album and perhaps in some sense this is (like Sacral Night) a bold stroke of extreme metal rhythm in true heavy metal songwriting. Non-traditional in the best sort of way. Cannot wait for the full album. Check it out over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- There’s something intoxicatingly Cocaine Piss-ish about this sinister twee first single from ALPHA HOPPER, yet they’re some other kind of noisy, post-punking bop of their own; Self-described “sci fi punk” at heart, whatever that is. I like it, the layers of tonal guitar and the lump of bass that hits throughout “The Goods” jewels their upcoming ‘Alpha Hex Index‘ album, out via Hex Records this November 20th. You’re too metal for this, but I’m butt-scooting all over it trying to get the worms out: [MORE INFO]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have announced the latest EP from El Paso, Texas-based blackened death metal band NEXUL will release this coming December 4th. ‘Scythed Wings of Poisonous Decay‘ will be available on CD and 12″ vinyl. Part of the satanic circle housed via Hellvetron, this is a truly brutal rush of black/death mastery approached with the same ruthless abandon displayed on their ‘Paradigm of Chaos’ LP back in 2017. Cryptic riffs and even deeper ominous tones await! Check out “Partitioned by Severity”, absolutely blasphemic insanity. [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Opium Warlords, Gryftigaen, Fuck The Facts, Avlivad, Folterkammer, Desaster, Decayed, Ceremonial Bloodbath, Soulskinner, Hegeroth, Thrudvangar, Proclamation, Arsebreed, Icare, Insidious Disease, Aeolian, Cynabare Urne, Nexul, Orion, Those Who Bring the Torture, Obscurae, Heads For the Dead, Perdition Sect, Siculicidium, Void Moon, Black Mold, Mavorim & Ad Mortem, Violent Life Violent Death, Dropdead, Odiosior, Precaria, Oros Kau, Asphyxiator, Reverend, Celestial Season, Sacramentum, Bleeding Out, No Life on Earth and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: email@example.com
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (9/26/20 – 10/02/20)
- …From the Tomb 9/28/20: “Fall straight down through the depths of the void, like drops of rain.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 7 New Releases from September 18th-October 2nd. Next week’s entry will deal solely with albums released on October 9th.
- Favorites: Monsterworks, Amiensus, Prana Crafter.
- The Top 20 Albums of September | 2020
- Thoughts on the twenty best releases of September with links to full reviews, streams, and some runners-up.
- Includes: Messiah, Skeletal Remains, Transcendence, Serpent Column, Uada, Dephosphorous, Nubivagant, Primal Brain, Proscription, Katavasia, Evoke, Indoctrinate, Exhalants, Ordinance, Emyn Muil, Desolator, Madrost, Dropdead, Hexecutor, Sammas’ Equinox.
Big releases this week from Arroganz, Gorephilia, Isengard and Monsterworks. Doubt most folks had a clue Isengard was coming, either that or I’m just not in the loop for all the major label stuff unless I go looking. Speaking of, remember to check out the new Enslaved , ‘Utgard’, if you’re a fan of their prog-black development since 2001. See what you think of the new vocalists. I can’t keep up with Old Man Gloom/Sumac‘s output lately, so I’m not invested in their new one just yet. Trident have returned (!) after a ten year gap for a second full-length, fans of melodic black metal take note of ‘North’ via Non Serviam Records. Also, do not delay in checking out the latest Conjureth demo ‘The Levitation Manifest’ over on their Bandcamp page, they will inevitably be the hottest shit when an album manifests. Also, keep in mind new Necrophobic vinyl came out today a week early… all of the other versions come next week. Hoping to pick up some steam on reviews here soon, trying to loosen up a bit in terms of detail so that I can cover more. In the works reviews: Caligula, Arroganz, Rabid Beast, Empress, R.I.P., Henrik Palm.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (10/01/20 – 10/08/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ENSLAVED – Utgard [October 2nd, Nuclear Blast]
- GOREPHILIA – In the Eye of Nothing [October 2nd, Dark Descent/Me Saco un Ojo]*
- ARROGANZ – Morsus [October 2nd, Supreme Chaos Records]*
- RABID BEAST – Rabid Beast [October 5th, Unspeakable Axe Records]*
- MONSTERWORKS – Malignment [October 2nd, Eat Lead and Die Music]
- HATH – Hive (Reissue) [October 2nd, Willowtip Records]
- SARCOPTES – Plague Hymns [October 2, Transcending Obscurity Records]
- ALL SOULS – Songs for the End of the World [October 2nd, Self-Released]
- AMIENSUS – Abreaction [October 2nd, Transcending Records]
- ECHOLOT – Destrudo [October 2nd, Czar of Crickets]
- DIALOGIA – Nostrum [October 2nd, Self-Released]
- CRYPTAE – Nightmare Traversal [October 2nd, Sentient Ruin]
- OCEAN GATES – Ocean Gates [October 5th, Boomland]
- DEATHEPOCH – Abysmal Invocation [October 6, Putrid Cult]
UPCOMING RELEASES (10/09/20 – 10/12/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- EMPRESS – Premonition [October 9th, Petrichor Records]*
- RADIANT KNIFE – The Ghost [Oct 9, Self-Released]*
- DYSYLUMN – Cosmogonie [October 9th, Signal Rex]*
- COASTLANDS – Death [October 9, Translation Loss Records]
- INCINERATE – Sacrilegivm [October 9th, Comatose Music]
- JOHANSSON & SPECKMANN – The Germs of Circumstance [October 9th, Soulseller Records]
- FURNACE – Dark Vistas [October 9th, Soulseller Records]
- VENTR – Numinous Negativity [October 9, Signal Rex]
- BLACK COMMUNION – Miasmic Monstrosity [October 9, Dunkelheit Produktionen]
- REPUKED – Dawn of Reintoxication [October 9th, Soulseller Records]*
- INFERI – Of Sunless Realms [October 9th, The Artisan Era]
- HAGATHORN – Hartworld [October 9th, Nordvis Produktion]
- THE TROOPS OF DOOM – The Rise of Heresy [October 9th, Blood Blast Distribution]
- IN CAUDA VENENUM – G.O.H.E. [October 9th, LADLO]
- YATRA – All is Lost [October 9th, Grimoire Records]*
- KIRA – Peccatum et Blasphemia [October 9th, Ossuary Records]
- R.I.P. – Dead End [October 9th, RidingEasy Records]*
- KING PARROT – Holed Up In the Lair [October 9th, Agonia Records/Housecore]
- IXION – L’Adieu aux Etoiles [October 9th, Finisterian Dead End]
- FOUL BODY AUTOPSY – Consumed by Black Thoughts [October 10th, Self-Released]
- ZOLDIER NOIZ – Merci [October 10th, Ripping Storm Records]*
- IN GRIEF – Echoes of Doom [October 10th, Ripping Storm Records] Cassette
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.