SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (9/19/20 – 9/25/20)
- Witchfinder-finders! Aural Music have announced they will release the debut album from French epic doom metal band ECCLESIA titled ‘De Ecclesiæ Universalis‘ on CD, digital and vinyl this coming November 13th. The band have had this album in the works for roughly four years and they liken their coming as that of a new inquisition. Their sound however is suggested as heavily influenced by late 80’s releases from Candlemass, Cathedral and Solitude Aeternus. So, it sounds like they’re epic doom with the possibility of harsher vocals. Based on their message and photos, I’m interested. Follow Aural Music on Facebook to keep up to date on Ecclesia: [MORE INFO]
- Norrköping-based post-rockers PG.LOST have announced their latest album ‘Oscillate‘ will release this November 6th via Pelagic Records. There is nothing meek about the grand-sized production values on this record and it is a bit of an ear-catcher because of it, and why shouldn’t it be a bit loud and professional as members/ex-members of Ghost, The Great Discord, and Cult of Luna round out the line-up. This release seems to recall the sort of mid-2000’s boon of popularity for post-rock and gives it todays more spaced out, surrealistic sheen. Check out the first single “E22” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- The best LP shippers & handlers in the underground Nuclear War Now! Productions have set December 1st as the release date for PNEUMA HAGION‘s debut full-length ‘Voidgazer‘ on vinyl. You might recall this guys work when I’d reviewed his demo/EP compilation a couple years back, needless to say his brand of depth-ridden death metal is highly anticipated in full-length form and the cover art is brutal, mentally stifling and primitive which is what I’d want from the artist at this point. Check out the first preview track “The Black Light” over on Bandcamp:[MORE INFO]
- Death is coming and in the hands of Invictus Productions it won’t be natural causes that makes a sack of rotting meat of ya. They’ve set November 27th as day of death wherein Swedish scourge AVLIVAD debut their self-titled demo tape, ‘Avlivad’. This Gothenburg based trio include the drummer from Ensnared in their ranks so I’m pretty much in. The first preview song is the last of the four tracks and it has a damn kick to it! “And You’ll See” is up over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Norwegian folk/black metal band VARDE are slated to release their debut full-length, ‘Fedraminne‘, this November 27th via Nordvis Produktion. Varde features former members of Nordjevel, Alsvartr and Dødheimsgard and although we do not have a taste of their new album just yet you can find them on Spotify and try out their 2019 single “Varde” for an idea of where they’re at, the conviction on this track sells the band quickly and the aggressive drumming can be imagined on a bigger or smaller scale in the future. Follow them on Facebook and await further samples in the future: [MORE INFO]
- Spanish melodic death metal band DORMANTH have announced their fourth album will be titled ‘Complete Downfall‘ and released via Xtreem Music this December 15th on CD format. These guys formed in 1993 but would take a long break between 1995-2015. Heavily influenced by Peaceville three and Amorphis in the early days, the band would return with modern melodic death influences. This first single “Fire” has some Amon Amorth-esque feeling to it, probably a bit more powerful than anything on ‘IX Sins’ back in 2018. Will see how it turns out! Listen to “Fire” over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Man, I’ll speak frankly here… I haven’t dug a new SODOM record since 2007. It isn’t that I don’t care but, it felt like they’d really peaked with ‘M-16’ and their self-titled was solid enough but when a classic thrash band starts re-recording oldies I feel like its time to jump off and support bands who don’t have a legacy yet. Apologies for the rant, where I’m headed with it is basically this new Sodom record ‘Genesis XIX’ and the first single “Sodom & Gomorrah” reminded me how much I like classic stuff from this classic thrash band and it seems like they’re aiming for that old but updated sound and featuring some self-recorded/produced elements. The sound is right, the songs are simple but weirdly ‘off’ in the true Sodom tradition so I’m into it so far. ‘Genesis XIX’ is out on eOne Records this November 27th. You can listen to “Sodom & Gomorrah” over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- If you’re into the whole “death metal with riffs” thing you’re going to want to go pre-order the new GOREPHILIA record ‘In the Eye of Nothing‘. Dude from the last two Krypts albums is a big part of this band and he’s taken over vocal duties in addition to his usual guitar work, rough couple of years getting there but man what an album. I’ll do my best to fight off the 10/10 on this one but things are lookin’ grim and fully scored on my end. Do you need more hype than that from me? Well hey, we’re about a week out (releases October 2nd) so make sure you don’t have to wait for the second shipment or a later pressing. Still riff-curious and/or questioning? Check out the second single from the album, “Ouroboran Labyrinth” and if you’re not sold right then and there, get off my lawn. The song is up over on Bandcamp, LP’s are sold out on Bandcamp so hit the Dark Descent store otherwise, they’re fast and never ding shit up. Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- South African stoner rock quintet RUFF MAJIK will release their third album ‘The Devil’s Cattle‘ this October 30th via Mongrel Records. They’ve put out a zombie apocalypse themed video for the first single “Lead Pills and Thrills”, a piano-tickled up-tempo desert rocker that brings a bit of the current Australian sound alongside the quickly evolving scene they’re coming from. Adventurous and kickin’, the dual vocal thing is working for them. Curious to see what the rest of the record is like. Check out the song on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Ripping Storm Records have announced they’ll be putting out French nuclear thrashers ZOLDIER NOIZ‘ third full-length album ‘Merci‘ this October 10th. If you don’t know the band their last album ‘Regression Process’ can’t be missed! Everything Ripping Storm puts out rules and this is no exception. If you love death/thrash, punk-death, Voivod weirdness, and a truly unique mesh of it all, get it. So far we have one preview track “Termination Race” over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Don’t start counting your “best of the year” because December’s got bloody gold stashed away yet! Southwest United States blackened death-doom trio HERETICAL SECT will release their debut full-length album via Gilead Media this December 11th. It’ll be titled ‘Rapturous Flesh Consumed’ and looks to be focus upon the reality of the American southwest rather than the romanticized cowboy frontier many still see it as. “Religious persecution, disease, slavery, and other violent acts are burned into the memory of the landscape” and right there I am fully keyed into this one, I mean I already loved their EP so the theme just kicks it into my ears. Check out the via Zac Scheinbaum and pre-order from Gilead Media directly (alternately, hit up Bandcamp): [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Enslaved, Convulsif, Heretical Sect, Apathy Noir, Griiim, Goratory, Feed Them Death, Orplid, Paranoid, Svabhavat, Essence of Blasphemers, Ixion, White Magician, Deadwood Tree, Cidesphere, Fumarole, King Parrot, Scardust, Elkhorn, Vvyrion, Dropdead, Shattered Hope, Ecclesia, War Orphan, Desert Lord, Odax, Convulse and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: email@example.com
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (9/19/20 – 9/25/20)
- …From the Tomb 9/21/20: “Time’s finite mortal vantage through death.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 13 New Releases from September 21st – 30th. There are too many things releasing on June 26th, and that’ll mean next weeks entry will deal solely with albums released that day.
- Favorites: Crépuscule d’Hiver, Sammas’ Equinox, Fate.
- Overlooked Releases – Q2 | 2020
- Short reviews for 17 releases from April, May, and June 2020 that were overlooked or backlogged due to schedule constraints.
- Favorites: Haxanu, Order of Orias, Fordomth, Traveler, Azath, Road Warrior.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #20 – Slavland, Khors, Cranial Contamination, Forgotten Tomb (2020) | PODCAST
- The Death Metal Guy and the Black Metal Guy, continue to grouse and coo over the fineries of Ukranian black metal (good folky and bad-core) along with a godawful Warhammer-themed slam band, and a feisty faux reverbed Unleashed clone from Chile who’ve somehow decided to name themselves Forgotten Tomb. Hell, it fits ’em better!
- Do not miss their exclusive reaction segment as Six Feet Under’s “Zodiac” entrances us all with blazing420 riffz n’ ruff doggy-dogg vokilz.
- An early full stream of RUMOURS’ ‘Neither Innocent Nor Wavering’ EP (2020) | PREMIERE
- Excited as Hell to premiere this absolutely ace heavy rock band from Germany and their debut EP. Rumours arrive as if Rope Sect crawled out of an opium den circa ’68 with an anthemic curse upon the world in mind. Brilliant tunes, please indulge!
- An early full stream of INDOCTRINATE’s ‘Antilogos – Arcane Transmutation In The Temple Of Flesh’ (2020) | PREMIERE
- Indoctrinate is essentially a second coming for a war metal band out of Chile who have made sophisticated work of this brutal return via black/death metal fury. Honored to premiere it and truly enjoyed its hallucinatory barbarism.
Big releases this week from Uada, Proscription, Infesticide, Transcendence, Hexecutor, Madrost, Nubivagant, Crépuscule d’Hiver, Indoctrinate and Sammas’ Equinox. I have not heard the new Hexx or Morta Skuld yet and I won’t make any assumptions because both bands have surprised me in the past. Way behind on reviews, I’m tired as hell from my job, don’t have shit to say about shit otherwise. Reviews for Easy Prey, Nubivagant, Proscription, Hexecutor, Infesticide and Second to Sun are in the works.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (9/19/20 – 9/30/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- UADA – Djinn [September 25th, Eisenwald]+
- TRANSCENDENCE – Towards Obscurities Beyond [September 25th, Blood Harvest]+
- NUBIVAGANT – Roaring Eye [September 30, Amor Fati]*
- SERPENT COLUMN – Kathodos [September 30, Mystiskaos]*
- MADROST – Charring the Rotting Earth [September 25th, No Life Til Metal Records]+
- SPELLBOOK – Magick & Mischief [September 25, Cruz Del Sur Music]+
- INFESTICIDE – Envenoming Wounds [September 25th, Blood Harvest]*
- HATEFUL – Set Forever On Me [September 25, Transcending Obscurity Records]
- MARCHE FUNEBRE – Einderlicht [September 25th, Hypnotic Dirge Records]
- PROSCRIPTION – Conduit [September 24, Dark Descent Records]*
- HEXECUTOR – Beyond Any Human Conception of Knowledge [September 25th, Dying Victims Productions]*
- DROPDEAD – Dropdead [September 25th, Armageddon Label]+
- JUST BEFORE DAWN – An Army at Dawn [September 25th, Raw Skull Recordz]
- MIASMAL SABBATH – Ominous Radiance [September 25th, Unholy Prophecies]*
- INDOCTRINATE – Antilogos: Arcane Transmutation in the Temple of Flesh [September 25th, Unholy Prophecies] !
- VARATHRON – Glorification Under the Latin Moon [September 25, Agonia Records]
- OSSUARY ANEX – Obscurantism Apogee [September 22, Xtreem Music]
- ANNA VON HAUSSWOLFF – All Thoughts Fly [September 25th, Southern Lord Records]
- BLAZON RITE – Dulce Bellum Inexpertis [September 25, Gates of Hell Records]
- RUMOURS – Neither Innocent Nor Wavering [September 25, Lupercalia Records] !
- SVALBARD – When I Die, Will I Get Better? [September 25, Translation Loss Records]
- BLACKEVIL – Forever Baptized in Eternal Fire [September 25th, Dying Victims Productions]
- EARLY MOODS – Spellbound [September 25th, Dying Victims Productions]
- CRÉPUSCULE D’HIVER – Par-Delà Noireglaces et Brumes-Sinistres [September 25th, LADLO]
- ONIRIK – The Fire Cult Beyond Eternity [September 25, I Voidhanger Records]
- NOITE – A Cor do Fogo [September 25, I Voidhanger Records]
- -S- – Zabijanie Czasu [September 25, I Voidhanger Records]
- REALIZE – Machine Violence [September 25th, Relapse Records]
- AFFLICTION VECTOR – Death Comes Supreme [September 25th, Argento Records]
- DYSTOPIA – Geen Weg Uit [September 25th, Wolves of Hades]
- EGREGORE – Thought Form [September 25th, Sentient Ruin]
- THE ELECTRIC MUD – Burn the Ships [September 25th, Small Stone Records]
- SAMMAS’ EQUINOX – Tulikehrät [September 28, Signal Rex]*
- HÄXENZIJRKELL – Die Nachtseite [September 30, Amor Fati]
- HORDE OF HEL – Döden Nalkas [September 30, Blooddawn Productions/Regain Records]
- FATE – II [September 30th, Caligari Records]
- ARDORMORT – The Desolation Letters [September 29th, Pacific Threnodies]
- AGATHOCLES / GROG – Smashed Hammer Feast [September 30th, Murder Records]
UPCOMING RELEASES (10/01/20 – 10/08/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ENSLAVED – Utgard [October 2nd, Nuclear Blast]*
- GOREPHILIA – In the Eye of Nothing [October 2nd, Dark Descent/Me Saco un Ojo]*
- ARROGANZ – Morsus [October 2nd, Supreme Chaos Records]*
- RABID BEAST – Rabid Beast [October 5th, Unspeakable Axe Records]*
- MONSTERWORKS – Malignment [October 2nd, Eat Lead and Die Music]*
- HATH – Hive (Reissue) [October 2nd, Willowtip Records]
- SARCOPTES – Plague Hymns [October 2, Transcending Obscurity Records]*
- ALL SOULS – Songs for the End of the World [October 2nd, Self-Released]
- AMIENSUS – Abreaction [October 2nd, Transcending Records]
- ECHOLOT – Destrudo [October 2nd, Czar of Crickets]
- DIALOGIA – Nostrum [October 2nd, Self-Released]
- CRYPTAE – Nightmare Traversal [October 2nd, Sentient Ruin]
- OCEAN GATES – Ocean Gates [October 5th, Boomland]
- DEATHEPOCH – Abysmal Invocation [October 6, Putrid Cult]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.