In an effort to signal boost the greater cerebral symposium on extreme metal’s culturally valuable nuance we present an inspired and thoughtfully achieved review-centered podcast via the Death Metal Guy and the Black Metal Guy: The Terminus Extreme Metal Podcast. Having caught my ear and thrilled my brains enough with their first wave of episodes, I’ve requested to feature their work ‘til they tell me to fuck off. The format is conversational but quite detailed and episodes run from 2-3 hours long via weekly formatted shows with review discussion and song clips alongside separate and intermittent 1-2 hour artist interviews.
In this festive 20th episode of Terminus, each one of us leans into his personal sub-genre specialties and finds a year-end pick! We warm up by hopping on the “Six Feet Under ‘Zodiac’ reaction video” trend, and keep the loose and riffy vibe going throughout. In Part I, The Black Metal Guy leads us through the majestic golden fields of Slavonic Heathen Black Metal, and – as always – we sort the wheat from the chaff. First, Polish master Slavland returns from four years in the wild with a set of passionate folk-black battle songs, freely ranging from “peasant wedding brawl” to “charge of the winged hussars.” This project is an old favorite of both your hosts, and we find plenty to sperg about. Second, Ukrainian mainstays Khors dramatically revamp their sound, embracing the latent pop tendencies of their scene and coming up with something pretty original – but is it good?
In Part II, The Death Metal Guy takes us to two extreme opposite ends of nowadays DM. Cranial Contamination follow in the footsteps of their fellow Englishmen (and Englishlady!) in Bolt Thrower, but without cloning their style — for in the grim darkness of the 2.1st Millennium, there is only fully automatic, grenade-launching slam. And to wrap things up, TDMG unearths a deeply obscure debut LP by a band called Forgotten Tomb. No, not that Forgotten Tomb! (For them, see Terminus Ep. 3.) It’s Forgotten Tomb from Chile, a one-man project playing ultra-primitive, artistically advanced 80’s death that goes far beyond the usual old-school fetish.
Terminus Episode 24 – K.V.N.T. Kolektiv, Goratory, Yersin, They Came From Visions, Dressed In Streams – TERMINUS: extreme metal podcast
- Terminus Episode 24 – K.V.N.T. Kolektiv, Goratory, Yersin, They Came From Visions, Dressed In Streams
- Terminus Interview – Old Mill Productions (ft. track premiere – Haljoruna, “Skumringsheim”)
- Terminus Episode 23 – Ildskaer, Cimetiere, Elcrost, Toadeater
- Terminus Episode 22 – Trident, Mysthicon, Panzerwar, Encephalic
- Terminus Episode 21 – Into Oblivion, Sammas’ Equinox, Insalubrity, Just Before Dawn
- 00:00 – Introductory bullshitting
- 07:00 – Six Feet Under, “Zodiac” – Autists react!!!
- 13:12 – Rundown of bands and labels
- 20:51 – Slavland – Stal Biała, Krew Czerwona (Eastside)
- 01:02:07 – Khors – Where The Word Acquires Eternity (Ashen Dominion)
- 01:34:54 – Interlude – “Jet Black Metal Art,” Lutomysl (Лютомысл), fr. Catharsis (Катарсис), reissued by Drakkar. https://drakkar-productions-official….
- 01:41:34 – Cranial Contamination – Into the Warp (Realityfade Records)
- 02:19:12 – Forgotten Tomb (Chile) – Death is Just Another Path (Cadaverismo)
- 02:55:50 – Outro – “Nuclear Spear,” Veriluola, fr. new S/T demo, self-released on Bandcamp! https://veriluola.bandcamp.com/album/…
Support TERMINUS on PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=40900273
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.