In an effort to signal boost the greater cerebral symposium on extreme metal’s culturally valuable nuance we present an inspired and thoughtfully achieved review-centered podcast via the Death Metal Guy and the Black Metal Guy: The Terminus Extreme Metal Podcast. Having caught my ear and thrilled my brains enough with their first wave of episodes, I’ve requested to feature their work ‘til they tell me to fuck off. The format is conversational but quite detailed and episodes run from 2-3 hours long via weekly formatted shows with review discussion and song clips alongside separate and intermittent 1-2 hour artist interviews.
On this week’s Terminus, we bring you some properly gnarly and eccentric sounds, punctuated by what may be the most catchy, accessible record we’ve yet covered. And as with Ep. 17, the whole batch gets the Terminus seal of approval! The Death Metal Guy leads off with Evaporated Sores‘ industrial-grade skronk attack, a serious bid to up the ante in the extremity wars. These guys play all the wrong notes in all the right ways, with an open-form approach to writing that makes a virtue of collapse. The Black Metal Guy answers with Dephosphorus, a long-running Athens band who push their self-created sub-genre, ‘astrogrind’, toward its most epic, atmospheric potentials — without compromising on sick riffs.
And the Greek streak continues with Katavasia (ft. mem. of Varathron), whose Magnus Venator may be the ultimate Hellenic BM party record, fully embracing the scene’s proud heavy metal roots without forsaking core black metal riffing and belief. Finally, in the longest segment of the day, your hosts wander through the windy, rain-soaked fields of Sale Freux‘s native Brittany, clinging for dear life to bottles of cheap booze, and loving every second of it. Melancholy tremolo abounds, and the ravens flock to the eerie sound.
Terminus Interview – Oldowan Gash – TERMINUS: extreme metal podcast
- 00:00 – Introductory bullshitting / rundown of bands and labels
- 12:46 – Evaporated Sores – Ulcerous Dimensions (Sentient Ruin Laboratories)
- 51:39 – Dephosphorus – Sublimation (Nerve Altar, 7Degrees Records, Selfmadegod)
- 01:23:20 – Interlude – Antigama, “Division of Lonely Crows,” fr. Depressant (Selfmadegod)
- 01:26:09 – Katavasia – Magnus Venator (Floga Records)
- 02:04:03 – Sale Freux – Le Dernier Corbeau Du Monde (France d’Oïl Productions)
- 02:50:45 – Outro – Mutiilation, “To The Memory of The Dark Countess,” fr. Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul (reissued by Osmose)
Support TERMINUS on PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=40900273
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.