SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (9/05/20 – 9/11/20)
- War Anthem Records have announced their signing of Greek death metal/punk quartet CURSED BLOOD for the co-release of their debut EP ‘Taker of Life‘. War Anthem will put the record out in Europe and here in the states we’ll grab it from the fine folks at Creator-Destructor. They’re suggesting a late October release for the record. Why should you be excited for a death metallic punk record? This one has folks from Dead Congregation, Vulnus and a few other bands you might know. The style itself is grinding and raw, very classically inspired and violent stuff. Check out their cover of Terrorizer’s “Infestation” over on YouTube for now: [MORE INFO]
- Temple of Mystery Records have announced a November 30th release date for the debut full-length from Toronto, Canada-based heavy metal act POSSESSED STEEL. ‘Aedris‘ will be available on CD and vinyl. Sounds like this is going to be a smooth, epic heavy metal experience with some slick rock appeal, exactly what you’d want from the cold-but-friendly north. This one is a major winnter if you’re big on early Cauldron and Spell like I am, you’d better go check out the first single, “Spellblade” over on the band’s YouTube channel: [MORE INFO]
- Nuclear War Now! Productions‘ ruthless reign over 2020 shows no sign of slowing down as they set November 1st as the day of crucifixion for APOCRYPHAL REVELATION‘s second album ‘Primeval Devilish Wisdom‘, on CD and vinyl. Think along the lines of the corroded ‘third world’ black metal the world over circa ’91-’93, death-affected but pure evil all the same. Check out the first three tracks on the album over on their Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- You all know how much I love Finnish death metal past-and-present so, man get ready for the first single from GOREPHILIA‘s latest goddamned masterpiece, “Simplicity of Decay” still has that late 90’s/early 2000’s Morbid Angel ribbing the band are known for but they’ve transcended worlds here since the last album. The track is an absolute earthquake of an introduction to ‘In The Eye of Nothing‘ which arrives in just a few weeks, this October 2nd via Dark Descent Records. [MORE INFO]
- Louisiana sludge/death metal trio ROMASA have announced their upcoming EP ‘Insufferable Cave Of Rotting Aspiration‘ will release via Hand Of Death Records this October 30th. Did you kinda cringe at the mention of sludge? Don’t worry, this band is entirely ruthless and discordant death metal with a really nasty lunge to each of their movements. Killer cuts and great sound. Get ready for the EP by streaming the title track over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Post-black, blackgaze, etc. whatever you’d call HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY‘s music they’ve got a new (fifth) full-length album in the works that will see the light of day this January 29th, 2021 worldwide (February 19th in the United States). So far we’ve gotten a look at the graphic cover art for ‘Mӕre‘ which will be released via AOP Records. The album features guest vocals from Gaera and Alcest vocalists as well as a Placebo cover. Follow the band on Facebook to keep up: [MORE INFO]
- Santiago’s deepest cutting death/thrash razorblade riff crafters INVINCIBLE FORCE are back after a very long five year wait with a second album entitled ‘Decomposed Sacramentum‘. I know I’ve begun to sound like a Dark Descent fanboy but man, they’ve picked up nothing but pure gold for ages now. The riffs arrive October 22nd via Dark Descent Records. I’m most definitely pre-ordering this and Gorephilia asap. Check out the first preview song “Perpetual Black Mass” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Probably my most anticipated death/doom metal record of 2020, ‘Ex Rosa Ceremonia‘ is the title of the recently announced second full-length from PULCHRA MORTE which arrives November 6th via Transcending Records. Amazing news, evocative cover, and a title track that roars, broods, slithers and grinds about its cemeterial ritual. Vocalist Adam Clemens’ range really shines here, kicking between blackened abandon and aggressive death/doom apropos weight. Check out “Ex Rosa Ceremonia” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Greek old school death metal band SOULSKINNER have revealed their fifth full-length album entitled ‘Seven Bowls of Wrath‘, to be released this November 11th by Xtreem Music on CD and vinyl. So far they’ve put up one preview track “The Destroyer of Worlds” which feels pretty on point with what the band have been doing since 2014 but this song moves into melodic death metal territory as it pushes on, really great progression on this piece and I am very optimistic about the album based on it! Check out “The Destroyer of Worlds” over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Witching Hour Productions have announced September 23rd as the date of release for Polish black/death/doom metal band MYSTHICON‘s full-length ‘Silva – Oculis – Corvi‘ with the vinyl version coming November 27th. This is what you could call a supergroup of people who’ve been involved in Polish extreme metal for many decades including members of Batushka, Vader, Hate and Lux Occulta. In fact they’ve covered a Lux Occulta song (“Passing Away”) to top off the experience. They have provided a pretty solid preview track with closer “Wolves of Morning Dawn” but I would say the album’s opening couple of tracks are even more exciting, something to look forward to. Check out “Wolves of Morning Dawn” over on YouTube/Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Weald and Woe, Serpent Column, Modrig, Kraken Duumvirate, Sabrewulf, Foul Body Autopsy, Kratzer, Echolot, Apochryphal Revelation, Metalriff, Watashi Dake, Megaton Sword, Death Noize, Leviathan, Ritual Suicide, The Electric Mud, Ardormort, Hell:on, Death Invoker, Septage, Dark Quarterer, Cursed Blood, Onsegen Ensemble, Agathocles/Grog, Mysthicon, Invincible Force, Diamond Dogs, Mad Butcher (Reissue), Rabid Beast, Holy Death, Time Rift, Yatra, Mephistophelian, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (9/05/20 – 9/11/20)
- …From the Tomb 9/07/20: “Material heresies in the minds of sycophants.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 10 New Releases from June 12th-June 25th. There are too many things releasing on June 26th, and that’ll mean next weeks entry will deal solely with albums released that day.
- Favorites: Kairon; IRSE!, The Passing, Putrid Offal.
- TERMINUS Extreme Metal Podcast #18 – Meslamtaea, Cultum Interitum, Hymn, Dumal (2020) | PODCAST
- Great episode this week with a Meslamtaea album cover doppleganger, a full minute of Indian Summer, Cultum Interitum, a full minute of Archgoat, a bit of a shrug at Norwegian impromptu sludgers Hymn, and whaaaa? There’s a new Dumal? Sweet.
- Thanks to The Death Metal Guy and the Black Metal Guy for the shout-outs and the work they put in. Also thanks to Heretical Sect for the support!
- An early stream of WOMBRIPPER’s “Obscurity Depths” from ‘Macabre Melodies’ (2020) | PREMIERE
- Well if you loved Wombripper‘s first album and its very straight-forward but super rabid HM-2 death metal attack, get ready for this fuckin’ beast of a melodic death metal record. Think of it as a continuation of what Dismember were doing later on but, heavy as ‘Slaughter of the Soul’. Weak take, I know, but man I already love this record.
Big releases this week from Messiah, Void Rot, Dephosphorous, Darkened, Ordinance. Also vinyl versions of Obsecration and Cenotafio‘s latest albums became available, definitely check those out. Three pretty key releases for the week were not sent to me for review, but I am considering reviews for each: Dead Quiet, Proselytism and of course Skeletal Remains. You might be interested in new Ihsahn or the latest Karg EP, so check those out.
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (9/05/20 – 9/11/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MESSIAH – Fracmont [September 11, High Roller Records]+
- DARKENED – Kingdom of Decay [September 11, Edged Circle Productions]+
- DEPHOSPHOROUS – Sublimation [September 11th, Selfmadegod Records]*
- EXHALANTS – Atonement [September 11th, Hex Records]+
- NIGHT – High Tides-Distant Skies [Sep 11, The Sign Records]
- ORDINANCE – In Purge There is No Remission [September 11, The Sinister Flame]+
- THE PASSING – The Passing [September 11th, Caligari Records]
- ABDUCTION / NOCTURNAL PRAYER – Intercontinental Death Conspiracy [September 7, Inferna Profundus Records]
- KÖRGULL THE EXTERMINATOR – Sharpen Your Spikes [September 9th, Xtreem Music]
- PUTRID OFFAL – Sicknesses Obsessions [Sep 11, Xenokorp]
- DARK RITES – The Dark Hymns [Sep 11, Brutal Records]
- KAIRON; IRSE! – Polysomn [Sep 11, Svart Records]
- JUPITERIAN – Protosapien [Sep 11, Transcending Obscurity Records]*
- THEOTOXIN – Fragment: Erhabenheit [September 11, AOP Records]
- STYGIAN TEMPLE – In the Sign of the Five Angles [September 11, The Sinister Flame] Reissue
- CENOTAFIO – Larvae Tedeum Teratos [September 11, Blood Harvest] LP version+
- LIFVSLEDA – Det Besegrade Lifvet [September 11, Shadow/Regain]
- SPECTRUM OF DELUSION – Neoconception [September 11, The Artisan Era]
- SOULWOUND – The Suffering [September 11th, Inverse Records]
- TOMORROW’S RAIN – Hollow [September 11th, AOP Records]
UPCOMING RELEASES (9/12/20 – 9/18/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- NOVAE MILITIAE – Topheth [September 15th, Goathorned Productions]*
- DYNFARI – Myrkurs er þörf [September 18, Code 666]*
- PLAGUE YEARS – Circle of Darkness [September 18th, eOne Records]
- EVOKE – Seeds of Death [September 18th, Pulverised Records]*
- OSSUARY ANEX – Obscurantism Apogee [September 22, Xtreem Music]*
- VATICAN SHADOW – Persian Pillars of the Gasoline Era [September 18th, 20 Buck Spin]
- HRAE – Þar sem skepnur reika [September 15, Goathorned Productions]
- ILLKYNJA – Sæti Sálarinnar [September 15, Goathorned Productions]
- KARITI – Covered Mirrors [September 18, Aural Music]
- OFFSET – Bent Benevolence [September 18, Pulverised Records]
- CROSS BRINGER – THe Signs of Spiritual Delusion [September 18th, Consouling Sounds]
- V/A – Dirt [Redux] [September 18, Magnetic Eye Records]
- ASTEROID NO. 4 – Northern Songs [September 18th, Cardinal Fuzz]
- BIG BLOOD – Dark Country Magic [September 18th, Cardinal Fuzz]
- PRANA CRAFTER – MorphoMystic [September 18th, Cardinal Fuzz]
- HIIDENHAUTA – Riivin [September 18th, Inverse Records]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.