SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (7/25/20 – 7/31/20)
- What is your favorite heavy metal band? For me it has long been a toss-up between Manilla Road and NWOBHM legends SATAN who’d been the heaviest and most righteous band from that movement even in their demo days. Listenable Records have recently announced a compilation gathering ‘The First Demo’ (1981), ‘Into the Fire’ (1982), and ‘The Dirt’ (1986) each of which has been remastered by Bart Gabriel (Skol Records/Gabriel Management) which will release as ‘Early Rituals‘ on ltd. digipack and glorious double gatefold vinyl October 9th [North America] and September 25th [Europe]. We’ve gotten demo compilations from Satan before but not a proper version of ‘The Dirt’ demo, which was the first thing they did with third vocalist Michael Jackson (who’d follow them into Pariah, too) after the band reverted to the Satan name when Blind Fury’s stylistic change hadn’t panned out. The ‘Into the Future’/’Suspended Sentence’ era of the band is so, so underrated so I’m glad more people will get a glimpse of that pre-Pariah era. Hit up the store for a pre-order and some shirt designs etc. [MORE INFO]
- Rochester, Minnesota’s rising conduit for progressive black metal sounds AMIENSUS have announced their third full-length ‘Abreaction‘ will release this October 2nd via their recent signing to Transcending Records. The suggestion is that this is the point where the band know both who they are as artists and what they are doing (professionally, I mean) and that it promises to be their most mature and definitive pieces, citing some oaken-yet-melodic influences such as Agalloch and Green Carnation. They’ve released two preview tracks, I chose the more invigorated gallop of “Drowned” to highlight, check it out over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- We’ve been treated to a bunch of great news from the fine French folks of Les Acteurs De L’Ombre Productions who have announced quite a few releases in the second half of the year. The first is medieval black metal project GRIFFON‘s upcoming debut album ‘ὸ θεός ὸ βασιλεύς’ slated for an October, 23rd release, you’ll remember them from a stunning split LP with DARKENHÖLD last year who have also announced their latest album (still in the works) will release November 6th. Don’t know either band? You can preview each on their split on Bandcamp, or go to LADLO’s YouTube to see what Darkenhold is up to: [MORE INFO]
- Lupercalia Records, a new division of Sepulchral Voice, have announced the debut EP from German heavy rock band RUMOURS ‘Neither Innocent Nor Wavering’ will release this September 25th on 12″ vinyl and cassette. The style has a bit of Scandinavian retro-rock revival to it, Hellacopters-esque ease but with a darker post-punk perspective. I think if you’re already wild over the latest Rope Sect and you’re missing The Devil’s Blood this will have some of the right vibe for you, just much more rooted in classic heavy rock twang. Check out opener “Grinder” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Are we feeling a wave of industrial metal heat lately? I’m not into it personally but have enough nostalgia there to see whats up with Arizona’s REALIZE , who feature members of Sex Prisoner and North, as they conjure the dark, screaming machine voids of Godflesh, Nailbomb, and… Meathook Seed? Yikes, are you sure about Meathook Seed? Maybe slide over to Fudge Tunnel where its safer. ‘Machine Violence’ is their second album a “hyper-aggressive take on industrial metal” which is definitely heavy and reminiscent of that mid-90’s era where bands like Sepultura were changing minds left and right. Relapse Records will release the album this coming September 25th, and you can preview the first single “Disappear” over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Remember back in the early 2000’s when Krisiun took the world by storm with a new brutal reality for death metal? I think Brazilian death metal band REBAELLIUN was the first band with a similar sound that truly blew me away with their riffs and ‘Annihilation’ became one of the big albums for me at the time. They returned back in 2015 after splitting in 2002 to form other projects, releasing a third album with Hammerheart Records. The album was solid but their guitarist tragically passed away in 2018. The band announced another album was coming this March through Agonia Records and we’ve had no clue how it would sound without Fabiano Penna who was an important fourth of the band, but hearing this new song “Vile”, it definitely still sounds like Rebaelliun. You can watch the lyric video for the song on YouTube, but details for the album aren’t ready yet:[MORE INFO]
- Signal Rex have announced September 28th as the day where razor sharp, acidic rain melts grateful puddles of dissolving flesh as ‘Tulikehrät’ the debut album from Finnish black metal act SAMMAS’ EQUINOX will arrive in this earthly realm. Ethereal yet blistering in its cruel black metal design recalls the early gloom of Themgoroth or perhaps Ancient Wisdom (Sweden). The first track we’re given is “The Staunching” a piece that is brief enough to feel like a gateway but dense enough that it has potential for transformative effects. Hear it over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Holy shit, Nuclear War Now! Productions’ reissue schedule has been insane this year and I can barely keep up between that beautiful Varathron reissue, 666, Beherit, Proclamation, Vixen, etc. but the one that keeps tugging at my wallet is the AMPUTATION compilation ‘Slaughtered in the Arms of God’, which collects their two demos and a 1989 rehearsal. The early (mid-to-late 80’s) Norwegian death metal scene was much more interested in the thrash metal side of things than comparable bands from Finland and closer to the Swedish realm of bands like Merciless. Amputation features teenaged folks who’d eventually shine in Hades and Immortal soon after. These were brief proofs of concept that’d truly embody the attack of death/thrash at the time (Merciless, first Sepultura LP, etc.) brutal and stabbed out from riff to riff without a second to experiment or think, much more satisfying than nearby Old Funeral or Cadaver demos in my opinion. Anyhow, the compilation is out on most formats now but the vinyl is coming August 30th, check it out on Bandcamp now: [MORE INFO]
- Without a doubt it was No Return’s debut album ‘Psychological Torment’ that convinced me to dig into French death metal history but it was LOUDBLAST who became my favorite between their death/thrash debut ‘Sensorial Treatment’ to start and through the beauteous melodicism of ‘Sublime Dementia’. Now reaching for completion of their eighth studio album, ‘Manifesto‘ Stéphane Buriez seeks to curate a conglomerate of that early inspiration and their ever-intensifying darkness. The album is set for an early November release and thus far the tracklist and album art have been revealed. The cover artwork from Eliran Kantor is incredible, a brilliant idea the artist describes: “I came up with the idea for the cover late at night while I was trying to fall asleep : I pictured a book that instead of bringing enlightenment (usually portrayed by rays of light), is emanating shadows. A dark cast revealing the evil nature bubbling in black tar beneath those who read it.” and man, it is just a gorgeous, evocative sight. The album will of course be released through Listenable Records, who you can follow on Facebook to keep up to date: [MORE INFO]
- Ew, I mean *baritone voice* Eww, meat! Barcelona, Spain based proggy post-metallic rock band OBSIDIAN KINGDOM have released a new video for their upcoming fourth full-length album ‘Meat Machine’ and “Meat Star” has a lot of interesting use of color story, nicely varied shades pertaining to the different mood as the shots evolve. Plus man, everyone is wet, bloody, greasy or just wrapped in meat. The album releases this September 25th through Season of Mist. Check out the video for “Meat Star” over on YouTube, Kylie Jenner loved it: [MORE INFO]
- Progressive black metal act KALT VINDUR return with a second album ‘…And Nothing is Endless’ here shortly (August 7th via Witching Hour Productions) as they aim for a sound and approach that is indisputably bigger, less predictable in motion and guided by much more infectious songwriting. They’ve put together a fairly atmospheric music video for “The Blind Sin Hunter“. The slower riffs in the song give a slight black/doom feeling but the guitars never fully die on the classic black metal sword, keeping things modern and tightly controlled. Check out the song on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Raw Skulls Recordz have got you hooked up for the CD version of Netherlands-based pure death metal quartet BURIAL REMAINS‘ second full-length ‘Spawn of Chaos’ out this coming September 5th. Self-recorded and rendered by Johnny Pettersson you know this is a big, grimy HM-2 driven banger. Guitarist Wim from Grim Fate has taken over the vocals this time as Fleshcrawl vocalist Sven has been diagnosed with cancer recently. Much support and quick recovery to him, the band have done a fine job with this record in the meantime. I’m looking forward to it, especially the Slaughter cover at the end. Listen to the Bolt Thrower-esque crunch of “Spear of Destiny” over on Bandcamp for now: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Burial Remains, Rumours, Cavern, Sammas’ Equinox, Aphonic Threnody, Second to Sun, Offset, Bisonte, All Souls, Misery Signals, Palaces, Cult Burial, Onirik, -S-, Eerie, Nubivagant, Spook the Horses, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (7/25/20 – 7/30/20)
- …From the Tomb 7/27/20: “…terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 11 New Releases from July 24th-June 31st.
- Favorites: Geist & The Sacred Ensemble, Temple of Dread, Heresiarch.
- Celebrating three years deep into an eternity in Hell.
- A mile-marker for the third year anniversary of GrizzlyButts.com
- Details for SPIRIT COFFIN PUBLISHING, a small distro I am starting in 2021. I’ll sell your shit, no online presence or embarrassing sales tactics necessary.
- Details for MYSTIFICATION, a print zine in the works with science fiction short stories and full-page artwork in the mix. Contributions welcome.
- I’ve addressed my exit from RateYourMusic because I’ve received daily communication asking why since I marked the profile for deletion mid-June. Don’t bother me with political rants or negative bullshit, I don’t give a hoot.
Big releases this week from Question, Purification, Valgrind, Disavowed, Draghkar, Geist & the Sacred Ensemble, and newer sludge/doom metal band Unruly. High Spirits and Imperial Triumphant both released very well-reviewed records which I didn’t receive for review, I respect both bands enough to not make any assumptions beyond high quality. Not done with reviews for Defeated Sanity, The Funeral Orchestra, Sepulchral Curse, and Temple Nightside yet but they’re coming up quick.
[CLICK THE IMAGE FOR THE FULL REVIEW]
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (7/25/20 – 7/31/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- QUESTION – Reflections of the Void [July 31st, Chaos Records]+
- VALGRIND – Condemnation [July 28, Memento Mori]+
- DISAVOWED – Revocation of the Fallen [July 31, Brutal Mind]+
- SOULROT – Victims of Spiritual Warfare [July 27, Memento Mori]
- DRAGHKAR – At the Crossroads of Infinity [July 27, Unspeakable Axe Records]+
- FOOT – The Balance of Nature Shifted [July 31st, Copper Feast Records]+
- CARDIAC ARREST – The Day That Death Prevailed [July 27, Memento Mori/Boris Records]
- DEATHSTORM – For Dread Shall Reign [July 31, Dying Victims Productions]+
- SEPULCHRAL CURSE – Only Ashes Remain [July 31, Transcending Obscurity Records]*
- KATALEPSY – Terra Mortuus Est [July 31, Unique Leader]
- EMBR – 1823 [July 27, New Heavy Sounds]
- SHEZMU – À Travers Les Lambeaux [July 27, Krucyator Productions]
- PALE HORSEMAN – For Dust Thou Art [July 31, Self-Released]
- DRACONIS – Anthems For An Eternal Battle [July 31, Brutal Records]
- KING GORM – King Gorm [July 31, Self-Released]
- COLTRE – Under the Influence [July 31, Dying Victims Productions]
- VENATOR / ANGEL BLADE – Split [July 31, Dying Victims Productions]
- LIONHEART – The Reality of Miracles [July 31, Metalville]
- MIDNIGHT PRIEST – Aggressive Hauntings [July 31, Dying Victims Productions]
- HERESIARCH / ANTEDILUVIAN – Defleshing the Serpent Infinity [July 31, Iron Bonehead Productions]
- OSI AND THE JUPITER – Appalachia [July 31, Eisenwald]
- DROUTH – Excerpts From a Dread Liturgy [July 31, Translation Loss Records]
- AEPOCH – The Scryer [July 31, Self-Released]
- RESIN TOMB – Resin Tomb [July 31, Brilliant Emperor]
- FLESHDRIVER – Leech [July 31st, Redefining Darkness Records]
- DKHARMAKHAOZ – Proclamation ov the Black Suns [July 31st, Iron Bonehead Productions]
- GEIST & THE SACRED ENSEMBLE – Waning Hymns [July 31st, Scry Recordings] !
- HIFIKLUB – Rapture [July 31st, Electric Valley Records]
- UNRULY – Unruly [July 31st, Sludgelord Records]*
- KHAR SULDE – The Black Banners of Cosmic War [July 31st, Crown and Throne Ltd.]
UPCOMING RELEASES (7/01/20 – 7/07/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ASTRIFEROUS – The Lower Levels of Sentience [Aug 7, Me Saco Un Ojo]*
- TEMPLE NIGHTSIDE – Pillars of Damnation [Aug 7, Iron Bonehead Production]*
- FACELESS BURIAL – Speciation [Aug 7, Me Saco Un Ojo, Dark Descent Records]*
- MESSIAH – Fatal Grotesque Symbols – Darken Universe [Aug 7, High Roller Records]*
- STILLBIRTH – Revive the Throne [August 7th, Unique Leader]*
- VASSAFOR – The to Death [Aug 7, Iron Bonehead Productions]*
- ANGEL MORGUE – In the Morgue of Angels [August 7, Redefining Darkness Records]*
- CONCRETE – Free Us From Existence [Aug 7, Black Voodoo Records]
- BLACK CROWN INITIATE – Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape [August 7th, Century Media]*
- TERMINAL NATION – Cognitive Dissonance [August 7th, 20 Buck Spin]
- BROTTHOGG – The Die is Cast [August 1, Self-Released]
- MALUS VOTUM – Tradition [Aug 6, Lunar Apparitions]
- BAŠMU – VVitchblood [August 6, Lunar Apparitions]
- SCARS – Predatory [Aug 7, Brutal Records]
- YANOMAMO – No Sympathy For a Rat [Aug 7, Self-Released]
- ENTARTUNG – Maleficae Artes [Aug 7, Dunkelheit Produktionen]*
- LORD OROTS – Conquering the Infinite Void [August 7th, Onism Productions]
- SHADOW PEOPLE – Washing in Soap Opera [August 8, Self-Released]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.