SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (7/11/20 – 7/17/20)
- Maniac havoc! Blood Harvest Records have sewn together four gloriously fresh cadaverous psyche and given each a chance to rip themselves free by way of a four-way split. Representing the possessed and disgustingly heavy corpse churn of USDM today are OXALATE, PERPETUATED, BLOOD SPORE, and VIVISECT who’ll each contribute one track for the CD/cassette tape release this coming September 4th, but you can get the digital version next Friday, July 24th. Pre-order link and info over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- If you’re looking to take the temperature of this upcoming INCANTATION album, ‘Sect of Vile Divinities‘, you’ve got to spin the second single (“Fury’s Manifesto”) a few times and appreciate the ‘old school’ simplicity of the tune and its irreligious message. Having listened to the full album a few times this week I can’t overstate how much I appreciate the guys’ remaining on point with both a brutal attack and anti-religious message — The beating is still a thrill and the blasphemy is inspirational as ever. They’ve released a music video for the song on YouTube as things ramp up for the August 21st release through Relapse Records. Thirty years and they haven’t fucked up yet! [MORE INFO]
- 20 Buck Spin have announced they’ll house ‘Hallucination Scene‘, the debut album from industrial metal project BLACK MAGNET this coming September 4th. Black Magnet comes from musician James Hammontree who has been involved in Cloak, Mammoth Grinder, and hardcore punk band I Resign. If you’re into the real big guitar wall side of industrial metal opener “Divination Equipment” will get you going. Not really my gig as I tend to prefer late 80’s industrial kinda pre-‘Streetcleaner’ side of things but the song is damned heavy! Check it out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Bones slip and rattle beneath your stumbling feet! The torch shakes in my hand, shadows quivering as Signal Rex announces they’ll craft the coffin and sail the corpse off to Hell this August 28th when they release Spanish black metal trio MORTA‘s debut album, ‘Fúnebre’. A simple but effective melodic statement with a spark of insanity behind its dead-eyed gaze. Check it out over on SoundCloud: [MORE INFO]
- Sentient Ruin Laboratories have announced they’ll be released a pretty sharp slipcase-adorned cassette version of the entirely underrated debut from blackened heavy metal band NITE, ‘Darkness Silence Mirror Flame‘. Deluxe shit for cassette collectors and if you haven’t heard “Chains” or especially “The Way” you’ve got to hear this tape! Pre-orders are up now and it’ll release July 31st. If you want other formats Creator-Destructor put ’em out. [MORE INFO]
- Me Saco Un Ojo Ojo Records have announced they’ll be putting out the 12″ LP version of Danish hatemongers HAD‘s debut EP, which is untitled. Dark Descent Records will put out the CD, Extremely Rotten Productions will do the tape. What do I know about Had? Members of Sulphurous and Deiquisitor, and nothing else. That’s cool, though, those bands are great and the first preview song “Skingrer de døendes pinefulde skrig” has a pretty cool atmospheric vibe, lots of wailing-in-the-distance leads and watery, erratic riffing. Check it out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Fuck, where has all the real goddamn thrash been in 2020? French hell-thrashing speed metallers HEXECUTOR are a feast of flesh amidst famine and hell, Dying Victims Productions will free us all from starvation this September 25th when they release the band’s second album ‘Beyond Any Human Conception of Knowledge‘. So far they’ve put up “Ker Ys” as the track to sample and it is a goddamned shredder! Love the album art, fantastic sound, pure ball lightning energy as a first impression. Check it out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Shimmering as light across oil-slicked puddles, Italian post-black metal band SVNTH (aka Seventh Genocide) combine 70’s classic rock-sized movements and 90’s shoegaze ache on their third full-length, ‘Spring In Blue‘, which will release via Transcending Records this August 28th. This project has evolved considerably since forming as a largely solo black metal effort back in 2006, now featuring folks whom you might recognize from Bedsore. There are few post-black bands that I find relevant and/or engaging, this one stands out for having more than a superficial engagement with the post-rock side of things. They’ve got a video for “Wings of the Ark” up on YouTube so far but I’d suggest following on Facebook and learning a bit more about the album there as well: [MORE INFO]
- Preserving the sewer-stained jewels of the distant past, Memento Mori have announced they will be releasing a compilation featuring all three early 90’s demo tapes from Long Island, NY area thrashing death metal freaks CROSS FADE. ‘Return to Planet Hell (1992-1994)‘ will compile ‘Cross Fade’ (1992), ‘Ruined’ (1992) and ‘Untitled Demo’ (1994) and the boys’ll finally see life from atop toilet bowl Earth circa 2021. These were remarkably well recorded demos with solid bass guitar presence, the first demo being extremely clear and surely influenced by late 80’s technical feats of death/thrash as well as Florida death metal by the time ‘Ruined’ released. Lump ’em in with Mass Psychosis, Ripped, and that sort of tech-thrash edge early death metal freakery willing to experiment a bit. More details to come soon enough but for now you should crank the self-titled tape, I mean for my taste this was their big moment and I love the loose rhythmic play of it, here’s a YouTube link: [MORE INFO]
- Kinda hooked on this latest song from British progressive rock band THE PINEAPPLE THIEF, “Break it All” and partially due to its oddly cryptic theme and psychedelic maze of lights music video. It is the latest track pulled from their upcoming self-produced record ‘Versions Of The Truth‘, which’ll be out September 4th through Kscope. I’m not a drum-head, and can hardly count to 4, but the drumming on this track is something else. There are many ways to preview, order, and several versions (including Blu-Ray) to choose from, here’s a catch-all link: [MORE INFO]
- If I died and went to Hell in the movie version of my completely insignificant life, Portland street-doomers R.I.P. would unquestionably be playing their greatest hits non stop and in various states of thrift-shopped undress. I mean, hey they’re putting out the follow-up to the well-loved ‘Street Reaper’ finally! RidingEasy Records have announced the Billy Anderson produced ‘Dead End‘ will release this October 9th. They’re slowly pushing beyond traditional doom-rock, shouting nah @ the puritan’s hand, and the most interesting remark in the presser is “…hook-laden guitar tracks that draw as equally from Nirvana as Black Sabbath” Well, I do get a bit of 90’s Melvins in the buzz n’ fuzzer first single “Out of Time”, a big-ass good n’ spooky groove if you ask me. Love the keyboards in the background. Go, quickly, check it out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Fuckin’ cool as hell! All of Finnish death metal gods ADRAMELECH‘s discography prior to their 1996 debut album has been compiled onto ‘Recoveries of the Fallen‘, a CD release from Xtreem Music. The sound quality is excellent. This material, along with most of their stuff up until 1999’s ‘Pure Blood Doom’ features Demigod’s original drummer, though Jarkko Rantanen would fill most any seat available to complete his vision for the band many hands would go into creating their legendary otherworldly craft. These are just out of this world recordings that all death metal fans should know, love and worship for the stunning creativity on hand. If you’re a fan of Demigod, Demilich and Funebre but don’t know the ‘next level’ and perhaps final boss of Finnish death metal, it is Adramelech! Absolutely a must-have compilation just 10/10 across the board with this band, I can’t say it enough how much today’s death metal youth’s are recreating this band’s legacy ad infinitum, some without even realizing it. My only gripe with this sort of compilation, the timeline is reversed, it should always be chronological as I hate moving backwards in time. Apologies for the mini-review, this is my jam. Listen on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Dying Victims Productions have reached into the cauldron and plucked out the feet-first birth of traditional doom metal band EARLY MOODS and what a jam this first EP, ‘Spellbound‘ is! Self-released digitally back in April, the physical editions will released via the German label this September 25th on CD and 12” vinyl. Very inspired work, tons of Witchfinder General-esque crunchiness and existential dread, all via uber traditional sensations. Go grab it if you’re into that sort of thing: [MORE INFO]
- Armageddon Label have announced September 25th as the international release date for New England ultra-violent hardcore punk legend DROPDEAD‘s long-awaited third album, ‘Dropdead‘ on all formats. Encouraging listeners to give a shit, question authority, think for themselves, and never stop evolving for three decades the Rhode Island quartet are still a force of blink and you’ll miss it fast 80’s hardcore punk. The first glimpse of their new digs comes by way of “Prelude/Torches”, clearly inspired by the tiki torch wielding fuckbags in Charlottesville circa 2019 and beyond, and it comes by way of a razor-bladed swipe of a song that cuts fast and hits a few ’83 breakdowns and Boston hardcore notes along the way. Check out the video on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Remember when Absu disbanded officially earlier this year? While we all mourned in our cloaks of delirium the cauldron was boiling over and stewing its arcane malevolence in the shadows. Agonia Records have announced they’ve signed PROSCRIPTOR MCGOVERN’S APSÛ for a self-titled debut full-length expected by the end of the year. If you’re feeling like this was a pr stunt, here is what Proscriptor had to say: “I want people to know that I disbanded Absu to form Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû with underpinning intention, despite the inclusion of my name, as an armorial bearing to pay tribute to the former sanctuary. I do not consider myself the band’s leader, but more of an administrator. I may be an oppressive commissioner, but Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû is an equal, collective unit.” The major news of this is a new guitarist, Vaggreaz, as well as several guest appearances announced including Vorskaath (Zemial), Ross Friedman (Ross The Boss), Jeff Becerra (Possessed), Rune Eriksen (Aura Noir/Vltimas), Alex Colin-Tocquaine (Agressor) and The Dark (Agatus). Beyond that, the packaging will feature what appears to be a ton of work from Zbigniew Bielak who’d contributed stunning work to the band’s previous release back in 2011. You can watch a short trailer for the album over on YouTube, though it is just a logo swap and not new music: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Necrot, Expander, Thurisaz, Sarcoptes, Lifvsleda, Incantation, Idolatria, Concrete, Cenotafio, Morta, Stygian Temple, Ossuary Anex, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (7/11/20 – 7/17/20)
- …From the Tomb 7/13/20: “…an illusory milieu favorable to every hallucination and every delirium.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 10 New Releases from July 10th-July 17th.
- Favorites: Caedes Cruenta, Scolopendra, Merlock.
Big releases this week from Khthoniik Cerviiks, Ascendency, Nekus, Pazuzu and uh… honestly not a world class week in general, Next week, well the second half of the month in general has a lot of the bigger releases of the month stacked up. A pretty decent single from Necrophobic (“Mirror Black“) is probably the main highlight even if it isn’t anything unexpected or particularly memorable outside of the intro and cornball video. Kommand also put out their debut and it is decent, kind of like early Tomb Mold but way dumb. Still catching up with old reviews, and will have the Quarter II list done about a month late, but it’ll be a pretty huge list. [CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO READ THE REVIEW] Don’t use WordPress viewer, damnit!
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (7/11/20 – 7/17/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- KHTHONIIK CERVIIKS – Æequiizoiikum [July 17, Iron Bonehead Productions]+
- THE FUNERAL ORCHESTRA – Negative Evocation Rites [July 15, Nuclear War Now! Productions]*
- NEKUS – Death Nova Upon the Barren Harvest [July 17, Blood Harvest]*
- SCOLOPENDRA – Those of the Catacombs [July 13, Nuclear War Now! Productions] !
- MYSTRAS – Castles Conquered and Reclaimed [July 17, I, Voidhanger Records]
- YSENGRIN – Initiatio [July 17, I, Voidhanger Records]
- HERXHEIM – Incised Arrival [July 17, I, Voidhanger Records/Nuclear War Now! Productions]*
- ENTRY – Detriment [July 17, Southern Lord Recordings]
- ASCENDENCY – Birth of an Eternal Empire [July 17, Iron Bonehead]*
- INISANS/SEPULCHRAL FROST – Death Fire Darkness [July 14, Helter Skelter/Regain]
- EISENKULT – …gedenken wir der Finsternis [July 15, Purity Through Fire]
- OCI VLKA – Demo [July 15, Caligari Records]
- CAEDES CRUENTA – Ερείπια Ψυχών [July 16, Helter Skelter/Regain] LP reissue
- PAZUZU – Revenant of Blasphemies [July 16, Dunkelheit Produktionen]*
- EREMIT – Desert of Ghouls [July 17, Transcending Obscurity Records]
- CARTHAGODS – The Monster in Me [July 17, FDA]
- KRUELTY – Immortal Nightmare [July 17, Creator-Destructor Records]
- VÄKI – Kulolleen Maan Omaksi [July 17, Redefining Darkness/Saturnal Records]*
- THE LIGHTBRINGER – From Void to Existence [July 17, Self-Released]
- SNOGG – Ritual of the Sun [July 17, Self-released]
UPCOMING RELEASES (7/18/20 – 7/24/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- BEDSORE – Hypnagogic Hallucinations [July 24, 20 Buck Spin]+
- VALKYRIE – Fear [July 24, Relapse Records]+
- FIDES INVERSA – Historia Nocturna [July 22, WTC Productions]*
- MOSAIC – Harvest [July 24, Eisenwald]
- TEMPLE OF DREAD – World Sacrifice [July 24, Testimony Records]
- EVIL WARRIORS – Schattenbringer [July 20, Into Endless Chaos]
- WRITHING – Eternalised in Rot [July 24, Redefining Darkness Records]*
- DEADLIGHT SANCTUARY – Thaumaturgical Rites of the Damned [July 24, Sentient Ruin/Iron Bonehead]*
- AHTME – Mephitic [July 24, Unique Leader]
- ICE WAR – Defender, Destroyer [July 21, Fighter Records]
- DEAD BRONCO – The Annunciation [July 24, Sun & Moon Records] Reissue, 2019
- DEAD BRONCO – Driven By Frustration [July 24, Sun & Moon Records] Reissue, 2018
- BLACKBALLED – Elephant in the Room [July 24, Metalville]
- STARMEN – Kiss the Sky [July 24, Melodic Passion Records]
- THOMAS V. JAGER – A Solitary Plan [July 24, RidingEasy Records]
- LAS HISTORIAS – Las Historias [July 24, Electric Valley Records]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.