SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (6/27/20 – 7/03/20)
- Witching Hour Productions have announced and released their fantastic two disc [also LP, cassette] reissue of ROOT‘s raw, twisted and goddamned legendary 1990 debut ‘Zjevení‘ which additionally features a live disc ‘Noc plná hvězd 1999 Open Air‘. The digital version and CD are out now (July 3rd) but the vinyl comes out July 15th. If you don’t know this band or the album and you’ve got some love for true heart of black metal, this is it in Czech form! Grab it from their site or jump over to Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- German death metal band TEMPLE OF DREAD have released a second single, the title track from their upcoming second album ‘World Sacrifice’, due out July 24th on kick-ass death metal bruisers Testimony Records. “World Sacrifice” is the opener, showcasing their love for old school death metal in its most pure but competitive state, think ‘Leprosy’-era Death and how far bands like Asphyx and Morgoth took it. Temple of Dread push it a bit further, incorporating some melodic ideas into the major transition of the track. Can’t wait to hear the full album! Check it out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Québecois funeral doom metal project ATRAMENTUS‘ debut for 20 Buck Spin has been announced alongside a preview sample of what seems to be a clip from the first movement of three extended tracks that make up the album, ‘Stygian’ which will be released this August 21st. This is one of Phil Tougas‘ (Chthe’ilist, ex-Zealotry) projects that’d lain dormant since early last decade, the recording also features other members of Chthe’ilist, Funebrarum, Gevurah, Sutrah and François Bilodeau on keyboards, who you’ll recognize from the last Zealotry album (“Accursed”). Check out the excerpt over on YouTube and get ready for the rush on pre-orders this late July because us funeral doom lovin’ folks are going to go nuts over this one: [MORE INFO]
- Chills up the spine! A shock from Hell! Or… Brazil? Yep, from a live performance by way of VARATHRON as this music video for “Son of the Moon” which Agonia Records have released to promote the upcoming release of a 30th anniversary live album, ‘Glorification Under The Latin Moon‘ this September 25th. Recorded in São Paulo, Brazil back in 2019 this set of shows featured ‘His Majesty at the Swamp’ played in full alongside newer songs. You know I’m hyped over this shit since I’ve mentioned it two weeks in a row! Varathron are a favorite of mine and I’m stoked for this release. Watch the video over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- DEAFKIDS and PETBRICK are set to release a collaboration album, ‘Deafbrick‘, this September 4th through Neurot Recordings [NA] and Rocket Recordings [EU]. The first preview track “Força Bruta” is up on Neurot Recordings’ Bandcamp and yeah, it totally sounds like the aggro-electro/electro avant-crust worlds colliding in the best way possible. A couple folks hated my review of the last Deafkids record (“too confusing”) but I loved the album, looking forward to this one since familiarizing myself with Petbrick, which features Iggor Cavalera. Check out the song on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- I, Voidhanger Records have announced August 21st as the release date for the upcoming second full-length from Poland-based black metal project ARS MAGNA UMBRAE. ‘Apotheosis’ is said to be his most intense, concise and demanding effort so far, and considering the previous album I’ve some great enthusiasm in approach of it. ‘Lunar Ascension’ deserved a bit more hype in the occult atmospheric realm and from what I’ve heard of the first preview track, “Oracle of Luminous Dark” (which features a guitar solo from G.G. of Cosmic Putrefaction), it deserves even more praise! Check it out on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- They’ve ripped open their own void and filled its insatiable furnace with the coal of humanity. German death metal daimonian ravagers ARROGANZ have announced their latest album, ‘Morsus‘, will be released through Supreme Chaos Records this October 2nd. Divergent and powerful aggressors of dark groove-heavy death, Arroganz have long been hard to pin down always churning in an unexpected direction, the title track they’ve released continues that tradition as a dark and downward-ringing abysmal wracking of the skull on “Morsus”. Check out the music video over on YouTube: [MORE INFO]
- Re-bonded and restaffed with a new rhythm section and vocalist since the release of their hard-fought 2014 debut, Norwegian black/thrash metal group TÖXIK DEATH have conquered adversity in creation of a second album, ‘Sepulchral Demons’, which will see release via the venerable High Roller Records this August 21st. Have listened to this one several times this week and gotta say, it rips! No preview tracks up yet. but pre-orders are up over on HRR’s online shop: [MORE INFO]
- AOP Records have set August 28th as the day of release for ALEYNMORD‘s debut album ‘The Blinding Light‘. They’ve likewise released a music video for the second track on the four song album, “Wounded Monolith”. What we’ve seen and heard thus far should indicate the several generations since Agalloch helped to shift the view of atmospheric black metal towards extreme naturalism, and to some degree existential nihilism. This 10+ minute song should appeal to those developed tastes, the wailing screams are curious and interesting and the hope is that they’ve isolated them to this song to make their use even more special. I’m looking forward to the full record. Honestly, I might just buy it for the stunning Wrest artwork in vinyl-sized form. You can preview the track over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- 50 years to the date of inception, ZAKK SABBATH‘s in studio tribute to the iconic early days of Black Sabbath kicks off with loving tribute, titled ‘Vertigo‘, and fully covering the entirety of ‘Black Sabbath’ (1969). To be released this September 4th via Magnetic Eye Records this record will not see digital release! If the name rings a bell, it’d be because guitarist/vocalist Zakk Wylde’s (Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne) stamp is all over this thing while the trio also features bassist Blasko (Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie) and drummer Joey Castillo (Danzig, Queens of the Stone Age). This stuff sounds pretty damned righteous, and Wylde has the right voice for it. Rolling Stone got the exclusive on the opener “Black Sabbath” and its up on YouTube now: [MORE INFO]
- Testimony Records have announced they’ll be releasing the debut LP from Tokyo-based death metal band FROSTVORE entitled ‘Drowned By Blood‘ to be released on August 28th. A fully DIY production with awesome artwork from Kenro Imamura. This band kicks ass, raw garage collapsing death! You can feel the ‘Severed Survival’-sized skull-cracking punch of their first single “Blackfield” over on Bandcamp : [MORE INFO]
- Hex Records have announced the coming September 11th release of Texan noise rock/post-hardcore band EXHALANTS latest album ‘Atonement’. This news comes alongside pre-orders hitting Bandcamp with the first single “Bang” nearby. Brilliant bass guitar tone, huge rock-tumbling punch to it. Their mathy post-hardcore fling now strikes a bit harder at the noise rock stomp of it all with “Bang” but as you’ll hear they’re still apt to lay on some skronk here and there. Stoked for the full spin of it! Grab the album and spin the song over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- Intense but still old school Italian technical death metal duo HATEFUL have announced their latest full-length ‘Set Forever On Me‘ for release through Transcending Obscurity Records this September 25th. If you loved Voids of Vomit as much as I do this band features ex-members of that band as well as Valgrind (who have an album coming soon also!). Based on the preview songs on Bandcamp and the stunning artwork from Daniele Lupidi (who is in all three bands mentioned), this looks to be one of many awesome death metal records out of Italy this year. Grab it over on Bandcamp: [MORE INFO]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Question, Desolator, Katavasia, Hateful, Hath, Sensory Amusia, Foot, Aleynmord, Stillbirth, Lord Orots, Evilcult, Unruly, Shadow People, Toblakai, Fore, Bob Katsonis, Snogg, Ahtme, Obscure Relic, Black Crown Initiate, Across the Swarm, Deathsiege, Soul Grinder, Toxik Death, Terminal Nation, Monte Luna, Hifiklub, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: email@example.com
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (6/27/20 – 7/03/20)
- …From the Tomb 6/29/20: “La vie nous habitue à la mort par le sommeil.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 10 New Releases from June 26th-July 6th. There are too many things releasing on June 26th, and that’ll mean next weeks entry will deal solely with albums released that day.
- Favorites: Blood Stronghold, Thætas, Eternal Rot.
- The Top 20 Albums of June | 2020
- Thoughts on 20 of the best album from June 2020, recapping the month’s best with short reviews and links to full reviews.
- INCLUDES: Pale Divine, VoidCeremony, Acherontas, -(16)-, Vestal Claret, Ulthar, Voodus, Pyrrhon, Hail Spirit Noir, Obscene, Deconsecration, Thecodontion, Wasteland Coven, Shed the Skin, Couch Slut, Stygian Crown, Hum, Sanctifying Ritual, Fordomth, Inexorum.
Big releases this week from Convocation, Thecodontion, Enshadowed, Trainer (if you like noise rock!), Bog Wizard‘s debut and a surprise demo from Geryon. If you’ve already gotten those, I’d suggest releases from Boris, Limos, Soul Grinder and Black Funeral. I’d intended to have a review for Enshadowed ready but it’ll take a few extra days catching up, been a week behind for weeks. Vestal Claret review coming tonight, and Trainer, Stygian Crown, Fordomth, Voodus, Rites of Daath, and Fellwarden will aim to land as soon as possible.
[Click/Tap the image to read the full review]
RELEASED/RECOMMENDED THIS WEEK (6/27/20 – 7/03/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- CONVOCATION – Ashes Coalesce [July 3, Sentient Ruin, Everlasting Spew Records]+
- SICKENING HORROR – Chaos Revamped [June 29, Pathologically Explicit Recordings]+
- DECONSECRATION – Demo [June 29, Chaos Records/Caligari Records]*
- WALPURGIA – Altar of the Goatbaphomet [June 30, Helter Skelter/Regain]
- ENSHADOWED – Stare into the Abyss [June 30, Odium Records]*
- BLACK ALTAR / KIRKBRANN – Deus Inversus [June 30, Odium Records]
- K.F.R. – Nihilist [June 30, Purity Through Fire]
- TORREFY – Life is Bad [July 1, Self-Released]
- ALEAH – Aleah [July 1, Svart Records]
- GODLESS NORTH – Dark Rites of the Mystic Order [July 2, Nebular Carcoma]
- BLOOD STRONGHOLD – Spectres of Bloodshed [July 2, Nebular Carcoma, Putrid Cult]*
- BLACK FUNERAL – Scourge of Lamashtu [July 3, Iron Bonehead Productions]
- NORTHERN CROWN – In a Pallid Shadow [July 3, Self-Released]
- 666 – 666 [July 4, Nuclear War Now! Productions]
UPCOMING RELEASES (7/04/20 – 7/10/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ILS – Curse [July 4, Pogo Records]*
- DECREPID – Endless Sea of Graves [July 7, Xtreem Music]*
- RITES OF DAATH – Doom Spirit Emanation [July 6, Godz Ov War Productions]*
- ETERNAL ROT – Putridarium [July 6, Godz Ov War Productions]
- UERBEROS – Stand Over Your Grave [July 6, Godz Ov War Productions]
- DISABLED – The Final Exhumation [July 10, Xenokorp]
- TAAKE / DEATHCULT – Jaertegn [July 10, Edged Circle Productions]*
- MERIDIAN DAWN – The Fever Syndrome [July 10, Seeing Red Records]
- DAWN OF A DARK AGE – La Tavola Osca [July 10, Antiq]
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.