SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (5/23/20 – 5/29/20)
- Perhaps one of the most underrated and overlooked Polish death metal bands since the mid-90’s THRONEUM have completely lost their minds and thank Satan the good folks at Godz Ov War Productions are there to praise and empower their tenth full-length ‘Oh Death… Oh Death… Determinate, Preach and Lead Us Astray…‘ to be released June 8th. Pair this one with Sxuperion’s latest and you’ll have discovered new depths of dangerously eccentric death metal, bad acid trips that are deep underground and righteously psychotic. The press release describes the band’s style has overwhelmingly unique and I’d have to agree, I really loved their last record and this one feels doubly crazed. Check out the massive 12+ minute “Delta:Self-appointed-grandeur” over on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Recognizing the duality of their modus, embracing their personal ethos, and allowing their ideas to pour as jubilant as they will Lafayette, Louisiana prog-sludge duo RADIANT KNIFE have announced two separate releases coming before the end of the year. The first album will showcase their riffing, technical and raucous side under the title ‘The Body‘, it’ll be released on August 28th. The second album will focus upon flow and atmospheric movement under the title ‘The Ghost‘ that one will see release on October 9th. I am such a huge fuckin’ fan of their 2018 album ‘Science Fiction’ so I can’t wait to dig into ‘The Body/The Ghost’. More details in the coming months, for now follow ’em on Facebook: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- No! Your skin, leave it on! You need your skin. Bay Area death metal band NECROT have the right sound, a huge sound with a knack for gut-punching out tough-assed but well-balanced riffs that’ll please anyone remotely interested in ‘old school death metal’. They’ve got some universal appeal that explains the major hype around their debut ‘Blood Offerings’. Well, they’re back with a hard fought second LP once again through Tankcrimes. They’re calling it ‘Mortal‘ and judging by the first preview track, “Stench of Decay”, it’ll kick ass. Pre-orders are up soon and the album releases August 28th. Check out “Stench of Decay” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Blood Harvest Records are on a roll this year and keeping it going by setting August 28th as the release date for Canadian death metal quartet GUTVOID‘s debut EP, ‘Astral Bestiary‘, on physical formats. This issue comes as a whet for a coming full-length in the works. If you didn’t hear the self-release of this on Bandcamp last year and you’re a fan of the Demilich/Timeghoul crew, get ready for this fuckin’ maniac beast of an EP. You need it, it rules. Check out the whole thing over on Blood Harvest’s Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Amsterdam’s most brutal death metal band DISAVOWED will release the long-awaited new album ‘Revocation of the Fallen‘ this July 31st on Brutal Mind. This is a total trip because I’d been a big fan of their records during my brutal death metal fever-pitch back in the early 2000’s. Love the album art and this clip: A lyric video for the album’s first single, “The Enlightened One,” is available over on YouTube or Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
Immortal Souls Productions have announced they will release the second album from death metal quintet DEAD CARNAGE entitled ‘From Hell or Hate‘ this June 25th. These guys hail from Czechia and have been around since 2013 or so between members of Disfigured Corpse, Antigod, and G.O.R.E., names you’re not likely to know unless you’ve dug into Czech death metal. Their stuff falls in line with a solid standard of ‘old school’ mid-to-fast paced death metal steady, heavy and here on the second album the production has improved to a high standard. Check out the first preview track “Chapel of Decay” over on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
German death metal band ARROGANZ have announced their signing with Supreme Chaos Records for their fifth album which will be announced soon. The Cottbus based band are fairly underrated for how long they’ve been active and I suppose because their art style sometimes leans a bit industrial metal outside of ‘Kaos.Kult.Kreation’ and ‘Tod & Teufel’, both of which are fantastic albums. Check ’em out if you don’t know them and watch the brief announcement trailer on YouTube while we wait for more info: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
Bergen trembles in their panic rooms with anticipation for July 10th, when TAAKE and DEATHCULT will congregate for death worship by way of black metal via their upcoming 10″ split EP through Edged Circle Productions entitled ‘Jaertegn‘. I’ve been a huge fan of Taake since 2005 and discovered Deathcult through their fantastic 2017 album ‘Cult of the Goat’, can’t wait to hear ’em both on the same plate. Four songs, two originals, two covers (Darkthrone, Beherit) round out this fine release. Check out Deathcult’s original song “Der Würger”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Empress, Soulrot, Voidceremony, Disavowed, Radiant Knife, Halysis, Deathstorm, Coltre, Shezmu, Sparagmos, Fordomth, Armagedda, Amyrkvi, The Ruins of Beverast, Throneum, Katalepsy, Tia Carrera, Exocrine, Dead Carnage, Heathen Beast, Valvera, Constipation, Necrotomb, Irae, The Hawkins, Midnight Priest, Lionheart, Herxheim, Godless North, Meridian Dawn, Nobody, Taake, Deathcult, Black Altar, Kirkebrann, Venator, Angel Blade, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (5/23/20 – 5/29/20)
- …From the Tomb 5/25/20: “The unreasonable silence of the world.”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one.
- This week I chose to cover 11 new releases from March 22nd-29th. Note that I read through the last few months worth of features and yes, I will take my time and do a few more edit passes before hitting publish.
- Favorites: Enevelde, Acarash, Violent Hammer, Paralysis.
- The Top 20 Best Albums of May 2020 – Will publish on May 31st.
REVIEWS: Big releases this week from Xibalba, Centinex, October Falls, Evoker, Violent Hammer. Likewise Mountain Witch, Sinister, and Decaying put out new albums I’m looking forward to but did not receive for review, I am particularly interested in Mountain Witch‘s album, great German doom metal band who’ve taken years for this record to come out. I have drafts for Barren Womb, -(16)-, Astral Sleep, and October Falls in motion for publish prior to (or on) Monday, likely at least three of ’em over the weekend. I’ll be honest I’ve listened to all (so far received) June releases and there are only maybe eight I’m passionate about. Hoping for some inspired black metal or thrash metal, but surely not a combination of the two.
- King Witch – Body of Light (2020) | REVIEW
- Zatyr – Ornament of Proposition (2020) | REVIEW
- Xibalba – Años en Infierno (2020) | REVIEW
- Sanctifying Ritual – Sanctifying Ritual (2020) | REVIEW
- Akolyth – Akolyth (2020) | REVIEW
- Hexenbrett – Zweite Beschwörung-Ein Kind zu töten (2020) | REVIEW
- Gaytheist – How Long Have I Been on Fire (2020) | REVIEW
- Occlith – Gates, Doorways, and Endings (2020) | REVIEW
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (5/23/20 – 5/31/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- AKOLYTH – Akolyth [Amor Fati Productions]+
- LESSER GLOW – Nullity [Pelagic Records]
- OCTOBER FALLS – A Fall of an Epoch [Purity Through Fire]*
- XIBALBA – Anos En Infierno [Southern Lord Recordings]+
- PARALYSIS – Mob Justice [Self-Released]
- ENEVELDE – Enevelde [Terratur Possessions]
- KRYPTAMOK – Verisaarna [Purity Through Fire]
- VIOLENT HAMMER – Riders of the Wasteland [Hell’s Headbangers Records]
- BLOOD STAR – The Fear [Shadow Kingdom Records]
- ATAVISTIA – The Winter Way [Self-Released]
- MANY BLESSINGS – Emanation Body [Translation Loss Records]
- SHIVERS / NAUSEATOR – Too Gross For Most [Hell’s Headbangers Records]
- PAGAN – Rehearsal Tape ’19 [Saturnal Records]
- SHAMAN ELEPHANT – Wide Awake But Still Asleep [Karisma Records]
- ACARASH – Descend to Purity [Dark Essence Records]
- POCCOLUS – Poccolus [Inferna Profundus Records]
UPCOMING RELEASES (6/01/20 – 6/05/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- -(16)- – Dream Squasher [Relapse Records]*
- DEATH COURIER – Necrotic Verses [Transcending Obscurity Records]*
- ORMSKRIK – Ormskrik [Fysisk Format]
- WITCHES – The Fates [Mighty Spells Records]*
- YOUNA – Zornvlouch [Into Endless Chaos Records]
- WITCHING – Vernal [Self-Released]
- THE HALLOWED CATHARSIS – Killowner [Lacerated Enemy Records]
- GRIDFAILURE – Sixth M.E.S. II [Nefarious Industries]
- SARPA – Solivagus [Self-Released]
- EVERYDAY HEROES – A Tale of Sin & Sorrow [Self-Released]
- SORGE – Sorge [Self-Released]
- BLIGHT – Temple of Wounds [Svart Records]
- FRONT – Antichrist Militia [Iron Bonehead Productions]
- AZZIARD – Liber Secondus – Exégèse [Malpermesita Records]
- RE-ARMED – Aeternum Ignis [Black Lion Records]
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.