SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on Grizzly Butts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (4/25/20 – 5/01/20)
- Without a doubt we’re looking at another album of the year contender as Iron Bonehead Productions announces the international release date of July 17th for ‘Æequiizoiikum‘, the second full-length from German black/death sensational surrealists KHTHONIIK CERVIIKS. Their 2014 demo and 2016 albums blew my mind when they came out, delivering Katharsis levels of mania and twisted Voivod inspired death metal insanity. ‘SeroLogiikal Scars (Vertex of Dementiia)’ was actually far too underrated and I am glad they’ve finally put together a new record. A preview track, “Δt (Recite The Kriitiikal Mæss)” is available on Iron Bonehead’s SoundCloud: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- A rain of irreligious suffocation from the unspoken barbarous crypts of the north accosts all believers by way of Purity Through Fire’s latest announcement that they’ve set sets May 30th date of release for Finnish black metal band KRYPTAMOK‘s debut album, ‘Verisaarna‘, on CD, LP, and tape. Classic black metal sounds, some sharp use of keyboard/synth, and the sort of liquid death worship you’ve come to expect out of Finland. The album art is really nice, too, very fluid and powerful with its limited palette. Check out the first preview song “Loputon, Totaalinen Sota” over on Purity Through Fire’s YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Incantation to the horned God to incite the apocalyptic swarm, all breath is erased by the void to power the militant battery of meteoric destruction by way of Chilean black/death occultists XUL OV KVLTEN release a stunning live ritual for “Ascend Pathos Signis Dómini” (from ‘Entropic Increase from the Omega Aeon‘, 2019) recorded at a show on March 3rd, 2020. Love this band, eccentric and completely brutal black metal with a cosmically crazed spirit! Check the performance out on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
Saturnal Records have announced they will release Turkish black metal band PAGAN‘s ‘Rehearsal Tape ’19‘ on CD this May 29th. Formed back in 1995 Pagan are considered one of the first black metal acts out of Turkey although they’ve only released three rehearsal tapes and one full-length in 2007 since. So this tape on CD comes twelve years beyond their last material and generally covers their best material from 1996-2007, think of it as a greatest hits live and a good primer for their music. No preview tracks just yet but you can follow the band on Facebook to keep up to date: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Fantastic news for folks who’re keyed into Khold, Tulus and SARKE as Soulseller Records have signed up to release Sarke’s planned seventh full-length album in the Spring of 2021. I’m a big fan of all of Sarke‘s projects and this one with Nocturno Culto on vocals has been incredibly consistent. ‘Bogefod’ was the record that got me to dig around in his other projects and I’ve been a fan ever since. Keep up to date with the band over on Facebook: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The most anticipated atmospheric black metal release of the year has finally opened up pre-orders for some illustrious boxed sets for CD and 4XLP versions of PAYSAGE D’HIVER‘s latest two hour opus to wintry travails, ‘Im Wald‘. Versions are available in double cassette, double CD, 4XLP box sets where each includes a 20 page booklet and poster. There are limited and non-limited versions. I’m only detailing this because I know how fucking thirsty people are for this band, its all anyone has talked about online since someone erroneously leaked the album from a private listening party. I have not personally heard the new album, as I do not participate in album leaks, but I will say that I have admired the focus of this band since ‘Das Tor’. Digital pre-orders are up [HERE] and you can pre-Order physical copies here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Greek technical death metal band SICKENING HORROR have announced their fourth full-length album ‘Chaos Revamped’ will released this coming June 29th by way of Pathologically Explicit Recordings. This’ll be exciting news if you’ve been following this band over the years since I’d personally felt ‘Overflow’ (2015) was a forward-thinking, memorable and just incredible sharp technical death metal album. This time around it sounds like they’ve returned to their more violent side, something more brutal but still technical. Check out the first couple of preview tracks over on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
Some great excitement here as Eisenwald has announced they will release atmospheric black/folk metal project FELLWARDEN‘s second album, ‘Wreathed in Mourncloud‘, in North America this June 26th, on CD and 12″ vinyl LP. Fellwarden is a personal project from forward-thinking atmospheric post-black metal band Fen’s The Watcher who drew great inspiration from the fells of North-Western England. If you are a fan of earlier Fen, Saor, and Winterfylleth then this will be an absolutely warm welcomed experience. Pre-orders are up on Bandcamp for now, previews coming soon: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Canadian heavy/speed metal musician Jo Capitalicide‘s major force ICE WAR, has signed with true heavy metal label Fighter Records for the release of their fourth full-length album entitled ‘Defender, Destroyer‘, set to be released on June 16th on CD and 12″ vinyl LP. I’ve really enjoyed his stuff with Iron Dogs and Ice War has really kicked things into a solid high energy space beyond. As soon as you jump into this one you’ll definitely be feeling the Tank and English Dogs-esque steel. Check out the title track over on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
Formed as Witch Hazel back in 2007 and after eleven years and three self-released albums under their belt this York, Pennsylvania based proto-metal/heavy rock band (now) SPELLBOOK emerges readied for a fourth album under a new band name and on a new label, the venerable Cruz Del Sur Music who’ve announced ‘Magick & Mischief‘ will see release this September. Not to be confused with Wytch Hazel, these guys are decidedly more “Hole in the Sky” rock, big Cathedral-sized jams that are something to look forward to. Details will come soon but in the meantime check out ‘Otherworldly’ (2018): [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Singapore’s pioneer punk/metal band OPPOSITION PARTY have launched an official YouTube channel with a lyric video for “Ancient Horror”, taken from their recent 7″ EP “Tales To Horrify”, out on Pulverised Records. If you love classic crust influenced thrash you should really know these guys. Check out their other videos, podcast, and live stuff they’ve been uploading this last week: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- German technical brutal death metal mainstays DEFEATED SANITY are ready with another evolutionary event as Willowtip Records sets July 24th as the release date for the massive ‘The Sanguinary Impetus‘. Claustrophobic, brutal, somewhat progressive, and with a gigantic fucking thug of a bass guitar sound rumbling its ass off, this one makes a head-crushing first impression. Think it sounds like I’m some kind of death metal crisis actor?!? Check it out for yourself, they’ve got “Propelled into Sacrilege” up for preview over on YouTube, and it is BRUTAL: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have announced Danish black/death metal band ASCENDENCY‘s debut EP ‘Birth of an Eternal Empire‘ will release this July 17th on CD and 12″ vinyl formats. Ghastly and billowing black metallic furor awaits, distant hollow rasps and melodious wraith-voiced guitar lines make a solid first impression on the preview track “A Birth in Fire”. There is a great early Necrophobic vibe here that really shines towards the last third of the track, stick around for it. Check out the song over on Iron Bonehead’s SoundCloud: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Nuclear War Now! Productions have announced the long, long awaited return of THE FUNERAL ORCHESTRA with ‘Negative Evocation Rites’ and formally set July 15th as the international release date. Drone, death, doom, ritual, and slow motion funereal horror. Considering the last album was released in 2003 a refresher might be necessary: You know nothing, you feel nothing, and no goal exists beyond worship of the abyss. Begin incantations for the preparation of the portal into void with “Negative Evocations” over on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Lesser Glow, Inexorum, Elm, Defeated Sanity, Serocs, Tia Carrera, Creature, Thecondontion, Neptunian Maximalism, Gloom, Xibalba, Constance Tomb, Fellwarden, Acarash, Six Feet Tall, Irae, Witches, Fleshvessel, Sickening Horror, Kryptamok, Dominion of Suffering, Sorcia, Azziard, Shaman Elephant, Avast, Okkultokrati, Stygian Crown, Dystopia A.D., Pagan, Night, Fermentor, 6th Circle and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (4/25/20 – 5/01/20)
- …From the Tomb 4/27/20: “The Poignancy of the Individual – Part II”
- This year Ten From the Tomb changes to …From the Tomb and is no longer limited to ten releases. It will post every Monday with a list of at least ten new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included for each one. This week I chose to cover late April releases instead of include March 1st releases, next week will cover March 1st-8th new releases.
- Favorites: Nyrst, Funeralopolis, Bythos.
- REQUESTS – Part II (March-April) | 2020
- If you are an independent band or small label self-releasing something I’d like, send it my way. These request entries get a lot more hits than my weekly entries but they only happen once every two months.
- This time around we take a look at: Sleepwulf, Olhava, Witches of Doom, Falling Giants/Grodek, Asbestos Worker, Disrotter, Godes Yrre, Porenut, Hellhookah, and Doomsday Profit.
- The Top 20 Albums of April | 2020
- Man, what a month! I’ve been slow-going for a couple of weeks due to exhaustion and a lot of extra day job stresses but still managed a very satisfying twenty album spread to catch up with. Buy ’em today (May 1st) if they’re on Bandcamp, as all proceeds go straight to the label/band.
- INCLUDES: Ulcerate, Funeral Leech, Elder, Cemetery Filth, Cirith Ungol, Oranssi Pazuzu, Hexvessel, The Wizar’d, Swallow the Rat, Pyre, Allelic, Witches Hammer, Porenut, Ripped to Shreds, Head of the Demon, Black Curse, Solicitor, Live Burial, Feed Them Death, Gaytheist.
REVIEWS: Big releases this week from Oksennus, Order of Orias, 200 Stab Wounds, and a great single from Snail. I didn’t like Havok‘s new album at all and I have not heard the latest Vader record but previews were just alright. You need to head over to Ruin‘s Bandcamp where they’ve been releasing a shitload of stuff! Otherwise I would say definitely check out Keverra‘s self-titled debut, killer modern sludge band. I’ve been warming up to An Autumn For Crippled Children‘s album but I haven’t had enough time with it yet. Otherwise I’ve been focused on features, spending too much time with long reviews and I’m about six reviews behind for the week, expect a bunch of stuff tonight and over the weekend as I frantically try to catch up.
- Oranssi Pazuzu – Mestarin Kynsi (2020) REVIEW
- Allelic – À Contre Vent (2020) | REVIEW
- The Wizar’d – Subterranean Exile (2020) | REVIEW
- Witches Hammer – Damnation Is My Salvation (2020) | REVIEW
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (4/25/20 – 5/01/20)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- KURNUGIA – Forlorn and Forsaken [Memento Mori]
- FUNERALOPOLIS – …Of Deceit and Utter Madness [Memento Mori]
- TOMBSTONER – Descent to Madness [Redefining Darkness Records]
- ORDER OF ORIAS – Ablaze [W.T.C. Productions]*
- ABRUPT DEMISE – The Pleasure to Kill and Grind [Raw Skull Recordz]
- ABDUCTION – Jehanne [Finisterian Dead End]
- MORTE LUNE – Temple of Flesh [Purity through Fire]
- SLAGMARK – Purging Sacred Soils [Purity Through Fire]
- ABRAMS – Modern Ways [Sailor Records]
- BRACKWASSER KNIPP – Schieres Entsetzen [Raddatz]
- ARMNATT – Dense Fog [Signal Rex]
- ANCIENT BURIAL – Beyond the Watchtowers [Signal Rex]
- KEVERRA – Keverra [Seeing Red Records]
- GOLDEN ASHES – In the Lugubrious Silence of Eternal Night [Oaken Palace Records]
- BOREAL – The Battle of VOSAD [Nebulae Artifacta]
- BLACK PESTILENCE – Hail the Flesh [Self-Release]
- TORN IN HALF – Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth [Redefining Darkness Records]
- ANTE-INFERNO – Fane [Ukem Records]
- THE SCUM – Dead Eyes [Wild Noise Productions]
- ALKYMIST – Sanctuary [Indisciplinarian]
- NADIR – The Great Dying [Self-Released]
- COSMIC BURIAL – Impakt [Purity Through Fire]
UPCOMING RELEASES (5/02/20 – 5/08/20)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. A plus (+) indicates that the album has already been reviewed. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- CRYPTWORM – Reeking Gunk Abhorrence [Me Saco Un Ojo]*
- CRYPTIC SHIFT – Visitations from Enceladus [Blood Harvest Records]*
- APOSENTO – Conjuring the New Apocalypse [Xtreem Music]*
- HOLDEN – Ursa Minor [Self-Released]
- NOCTU – Gelidae Mortis Imago [Transcending Obscurity Records]
- GODEN – Beyond Darkness [Svart Records]*
- OMNIARCH – Omniarch [Self-Released]
- SAAVIK – Saavik [Other Electricities]*
- AVAST – Avast [Darkhan Music] 10″ Vinyl Issue
- GRAVE CIRCLES – Tome II [Les Acteurs De L’Ombre]
- BEAR – Propaganda [Pelagic Records]
- ODRAZA – Rzeczom [Godz ov War Productions]
- BIESY – Transsatanizm [Godz ov War Productions]
- HADEWIJCH – Herbal Noise [Electric Valley Records]
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.