SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (1/11/20 – 1/17/20)
- Way up high on my list of hype for February releases, British doom heathenry by way of GODTHRYMM sets a gloriously dire mood for the week with a video for “The Sea As My Grave”, the second single from their album ‘Reflections‘ due out February 14th on Profound Lore Records. Though this’ll be compared to My Dying Bride for obvious associations so far this record might be the one to win me over. Vocals from Hamish Glencross have shown some impressive range thus far. Check out the video on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Gates of Hell Records have announced they’ll release the 7″ vinyl version of Finnish heavy metal band ORPHAN DEVIL‘s debut single/EP ‘Victims of the Night/Drifting Away‘. The young Finnish band’s first two officially released songs are anthemic, melodic and sound a bit obsessed with classic post-NWOBHM heavy rock circa ’86. A good start with some nice Quartz style kicks. If you want a physical copy, go pre-order it on Gates of Hell’s site and it’ll be on its was around February 21. : [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Maryland occult doom metal trio YATRA have released a second preview track from their second album ‘Blood of the Night’ which’ll be out on January 31st through STB Records. “Blood Will Flow” showcases the darker extreme metal influences upon their vocals with its blackened rasps n’ Sabbath grooves. Excellent song and I’m glad they’re back so soon after last year’s ‘Death Ritual’. I’ll have a review up this coming week, for now check out “Blood Will Flow” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The most exciting news this week for my taste comes from Svart Records announcement of their signing of Finn-English psych-folk rock mystics HEXVESSEL for thier latest album ‘Kindred‘, which is set for release on April 17th. They’ve suggested a ‘dark and esoteric’ path for this one, contrasting nicely with last year’s ‘All Tree’, a deeply spiritual reawakening that I’d loved. So far we’ve gotten the fantastic album art from Thomas Hooper has been revealed alongside the additional announcement that Svart will reissue ‘Dawnbearer’ (2011) and ‘No Holier Temple’ (2012), both of which I believe will be double LPs. Follow Hexvessel on Facebook to keep up with news and their upcoming February tour: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Norwegian black metal old-timers TULUS have announced the release date for their sixth full-length, ‘Old Old Death‘ for March 6th through Soulseller Records. Tulus have always taken a first wave meets second wave rock-beat fueled approach to the early Norwegian sound and this one appears to intentionally dial the clock back to 1991 or so while reflecting their distinct black n’ roll work in Khold and Sarke since. Check out the first single, “Jord” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Amor Fati Productions have announced NAWAHARJAN‘s debut album ‘Lokabrenna’ will be released on February 20th. The title suggests the concept of the nine locks of Sinmara’s chest referred to in the old Germanic Thursian Brandawegiz where each lock is a devotional song to Loki with the goal of unlocking the potential of the self. The first single from the album is “Ūtfurskō”, referring to brave exploration of the unknown. Check it out on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- We’ve gotten records nearly 30 years in the making from Obscene and Unbounded Terror as Xtreem Music revives their oldest Drowned Productions friends from the early 90’s Spanish death metal explosion and now they’re ready unveil the fearsome darkness of NECROPHILIAC! Always shocking, brutal, and outrageous this band’s second album ‘No Living Man is Innocent’ reflects the horrors of their past and a bleaker vision of the future. Xtreem Music will unleash it on March 12th on both CD and vinyl. The album art and the brutal Dan Swanö master gives the record a distinct old school circa ’89 death sound, a brilliant combination. Check out “Kill All, Burn All, Loot All” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Swedish death metal band WOMBBATH have returned for a fourth full-length entitled ‘Choirs Of The Fallen‘ that’ll be handled by Soulseller Records and available March 6th. Wombbath were a very straightforward Sunlight Studios buzzsaw death metal band for the first half of the 90’s until Håkan Stuvemark dissolved the band to focus on melodic black/death band In Thy Dreams. The project was revived in 2014 and this will be their third album since. They remain dedicated to that puritanical crunch. Stream the first wriggling grooves of the new record with “A Vulgar Declaration” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Caligari Records have announced ‘Execution Void’, the second EP from blackened thrashing crust punks SKUMSTRIKE is set for its cassette release February 14th. The Montreal based band are now a trio, each bringing a unique point of view to their gnarly Amebix and early Voivod sluice of fast-thrashers. The closing track “The Lie” is available for preview on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Polish death metal die-hards TRAUMA announced their eighth full length album ‘Ominous Black‘ will be released by Selfmadegod Records on March 6th. The announcement was met with a look at the brilliant cover art from Mariusz Lewandowski alongside a teaser video on YouTube. I’ve been a fan of these guys since discovering them in 2003 with the ‘Imperfect Like a God’, a sort of technical shift for the band as they’d been around since the late 80’s playing more traditional Polish styled death metal with thrash and US death metal influences in there too. Great band and glad they’ve got this lined up. Check out the album trailer on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Grab a pair of binoculars and a water bottle, Eisenwald have announced February 14th will be the day they’ll enlighten North American shores with TURIA‘s third album ‘Degen van Licht‘. An ode to the “ageless lure of the unyielding mountains”, this greatly anticipated record from these Amsterdam based masters of modern atmospheric black metal who channel nature’s most breathtaking peaks with glossy-eyed ambition. Check out the title track on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Netherlands black metal naturalists FLUISTERAARS have announced their return a third full-length entitled ‘Bloem‘ which Eisenwald will release on February 28th in North America. Some hype for this because the presser emphasizes creativity and brass instrumentation, psychedelic rock, and their own brand of mystic black metal. Psyched for it and aiming to go in ‘blind’ but check out the first preview track “Vlek” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Everlasting Spew Records and Sentient Ruin Laboratories are bringing funeral death/doom metal band ASSUMPTION‘s incredible EP, ‘The Three Appearances’, to vinyl! Limited to 300 copies and featuring stellarly fine artwork from Daniele Lupid this 30 minute four song EP was a bit overlooked back in 2014 but not by me! I have been singing praises for this fantastic band since the CD version came out. It will be released on February 14th with pre-orders up now. Check out the color variants here (or Sentient Ruin in North America): [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Cruz Del Sur Music have announced the signing of Los Angeles doom metal band STYGIAN CROWN in conjunction with the coming May release of their self-titled debut full-length. Stygian Crown began as an epic doom metal side-project from Rhett Davis (Gravehill, Morgion) alongside his Gravehill bandmates as well has members of Morbid Eclipse and vocalist Melissa Pinion. Classic epic doom metal with the heaviness pushed to Bolt Thrower levels is suggested in the presser, “CandleThrower”, nice! Looking forward to this. Check out their 2018 demo in the meantime: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Ball up your fists and grab a damn hockey helmet, Finnish nut-punchers VIOLENT HAMMER have a new track out and “(Trapped) in Depths” has that old rotten late 80’s skull-grinding ball-peen wrath in hand. It is the first whiff of ‘Riders of the Wasteland’ we’ve gotten and if you’re hot for ‘Scum’, Blood (Germany), and Extreme Noise Terror you’d better bookmark it as Hell’s Headbangers Records will release it Spring 2020! Check out “(Trapped) in Depths” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Comaniac, Slaughter Messiah, Afterbirth, Yatra, Vehement Thrower, Baxaxaxa, Fluisteraars, Turia, Necrogosto, Unfold, Mimorium, Saltas, Chief Tail, Graceless, Skumstrike, Void of Sleep, Godthrymm, Wombbath, Tulus, Dead Sea Apes, Second Brain, Viscera, Verbal Razors, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (1/11/20 – 1/17/20)
- Ten From the Tomb 1/13/20: Dispiriting thy grave metaphysical embolism.
- This year Ten From the Tomb will post every Monday with a list of 10 new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included with each one. All themed lists will be made succinct for quarterly pieces and some side projects that need extra time. This was nothing amazing if you’re not up for black metal or some deeper underground oddities.
- Favorites: The Cult of Dom Keller, Svarttjern, Horned Almighty.
- A few new features for 2020 are still in the planning stages and I’d like to know what people would like me to focus on. Leave a comment at the bottom of this page or e-mail me: email@example.com and let me know what you’d like to read.
- I’m considering ‘An Exhaustive Study’ for Technical Death Metal, it would take about a year and a half spanning from 1990-2010 at least, with 25-30 item entries weekly. As with the technical thrash metal list it’ll be a lot of me making hard judgments between progressive and technical differences, tedious but I’m up for it.
- Other subjects:
- No Fashion Records (Sweden) discography
- Neat Records (UK) discography
- Death/Doom Metal 1988-1998 (to start)
REVIEWS: Big releases this week came from Odious Mortem, Hazzerd, Horned Almighty and Porta Nigra. Elder Druid‘s second album came out too but I’ve not heard it in full yet. I’ll be doing a few reviews for late 2019 releases until mid-February when there’ll be too many solid new releases to keep up with, the list is established so please don’t send 2019 records unless it is a (new) physical release because I’d like to move onto 2020 in full. Also any noise rock, heavy psych, hardcore punk, and trad metal releases need to toss their stuff my way early and give me a month’s notice because extreme metal releases are always early, plentiful, and dominating the February ‘to do’ list to the hilt already.
- Unbounded Terror – Faith in Chaos (2020) | REVIEW
- Porta Nigra – Schöpfungswut (2020) | REVIEW
- Necropanther – The Doomed City (2019) | REVIEW
- Deivos – Casus Belli (2019) | REVIEW
- Worm – Gloomlord (2020) | REVIEW
- Doomraiser – The Dark Side of Old Europa (2020) | REVIEW
- Hazzerd – Delirium (2020) | REVIEW
- Grimah – Intricacies of Bowed Wisdom (2020) | REVIEW
- Zifir – Demoniac Ethics (2020) | REVIEW
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- TODAY IS THE DAY w/Child Bite Feb 24th @ Funhouse – Seattle, WA
- VASTUM March 20th @ The Highline – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (1/11/19 – 1/17/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are either not yet reviewed or covered but nonetheless recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- WORMHOLE – The Weakest Among Us [Lacerated Enemy] TECH DEATH/SLAM
- THE OSEDAX – Meridians [Self-Released] PROG-SLUDGE
- DOOMED TO FAIL – Fury [Self-Released] MELODIC DEATH METAL
- SVARTTJERN – Shame is Just a Word [Soulseller] BLACK METAL
- BLESSED BLACK – Beyond the Crimson Throne [Self-Released] STONER ROCK/DOOM
- HORNED ALMIGHTY – To Fathom the Master’s Great Design [Scarlet Records] BLACK METAL
- DARKTRIBE – Voici L’Homme [Scarlet Records] PROGRESSIVE POWER METAL
- THE CULT OF DOM KELLER – Ascend! [Cardinal Fuzz] RAW PSYCHEDELIC ROCK
- THE JANITORS – Drone Head [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIC ROCK
- THE GOOD THE BAD & THE ZUGLY – Algorithm & Blues [Fysisk Format] MELODIC HARDCORE
- NOBODY – Gospel of the Goat [Inverse Records] ACOUSTIC BLACK METAL
- OROCHEN – Mechanical Eyes [Self-Released] POST-ROCK/NEOFOLK
UPCOMING RELEASES (1/18/19 – 1/24/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- JORDABLOD – The Cabinet of Numinous Song [Iron Bonehead Productions] EXPERIMENTAL BLACK METAL*
- AETHYRICK – Gnosis [The Sinister Flame] MELODIC BLACK METAL*
- FRIGORIS – …In Stille [Hypnotic Dirge Records] ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL*
- ZIFIR – Demoniac Ethics [Duplicate Records] BLACK METAL
- DOOMRAISER – The Dark Side of Old Europa [Time to Kill Records] DOOM METAL
- GREY SKIES FALLEN – Cold Dead Lands [Xanthos Music] MELODIC DEATH/DOOM
- WORM – Gloomlord [Iron Bonehead Productions] FUNERAL DEATH/DOOM
- HAZZERD – Delirium [M-Theory Audio] SHRED/THRASH METAL
- IMPIETY – Versus All Gods [Evil Dead] BLACK/DEATH METAL [Physical release]
- REVENANT MARQUIS – Youth in Ribbons [Inferna Profundus] BLACK METAL
- ELDEN – Nostromo [Fuzzorama Records] STONER ROCK
- RAPHAEL WEINROTH-BROWNE – Worlds Within [Self-Released] POST-ROCK/MODERN CLASSICAL
- VANANIDR – Damnation [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- ANNIHILATOR – Ballistic, Sadistic [Silver Lining Music] THRASH METAL
- NECROPSY – Exitus [Xtreem Music] DEATHGRIND
- SURGICAL STRIKE – Part of a Sick World [Metalville] THRASH METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.