SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. If I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it! If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK IN NEWS (1/01/20 – 1/10/20)
- Blood Harvest Records have set February 28th, 2020 as the international release date for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania blackened death/doom metal band BLOOD SPORE‘s debut EP, ‘Fungal Warfare Upon All Life’. Formed in 2018 and featuring Basilysk’s guitarist, Blood Spore’s sound touches upon caverncore and death/doom in equal parts on the first single from this three song EP, “Hostile Fruiting Bodies”. The doom that drives the riffs is solid though I get an extreme sludge vibe from the quiet rasp of the vocals. Looking forward to hearing the full thing. Check it out on Blood Harvest’s Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Spanish nihilistic black metal trio GRIMAH have announced their debut full-length ‘Intricacies of Bowed Wisdom’ will be released through Vertebrae Records in limited numbers as well as independently on their Bandcamp. This is the first album to send a chill up my spine in 2020. It gleams with the darkened pupils of Mgła and features members of Oniricous and Fathomhell. Listen on their Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Stand, steel the mind, and be mesmerized by the unholy clamor of Finnish black metal act MALIGNAMENT and their late 2019 demo tape ‘Demo I’ which has impressed Purity Through Fire enough to strike the iron on January 31st, 2020 for release of a 12″ vinyl edition of these two heroically achieved pieces. I’ll admit it didn’t look like much until I’d put it on, a fantastic first strike of their drum. A third track “Bloodlust” features on the cassette and vinyl versions. Listen on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Another infernal union between Osmose Productions and Hells Headbangers Records the second full-length from ABHOMINE, ‘Proselyte Parasite Plague‘ will arrive with nuclear intent on February 28th. Having featured in some of the most violent United States black/death metal bands known to man between Order From Chaos, Angelcorpse and Revenge, occult artist Pete Helmkamp is no less a maniac on this latest project which comes in collaboration with Cazz Grant (Crucifier, Grand Belial’s Key). Listen to the first preview track “Progeny Devoid” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Shadow Kingdom Records have set March 27th for the release of Detroit, Michigan death/doom quintet TEMPLE OF VOID‘s third full-length ‘The World That Was’. Upon revealing the sharp Adam Burke album artwork the band suggest some influence from spaced and strung-out 90’s rock (Alice in Chains, Failure) will show subtly upon their traditional death metal sound for this record alongside some ‘matured’ incorporation of synth/keyboard work. No preview songs have been posted yet but pre-orders for limited items are up now on Shadow Kingdom‘s Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- German atmospheric black metal band FRIGORIS will release their fourth and most sublimely meditative bout of darkness via Hypnotic Dirge Records in the form of ‘…in Stille’, to be released January 24th. Their discography is quite the journey from primally satisfying pagan black metal towards their serene atmospheric post-black metal sound today. Pre-orders began on January 6th on Hypnotic Dirge’s Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Transcending Obscurity Records have announced their signing of Vancouver, British Colombia death metal band ATRÆ BILIS alongside the announcement of their debut full-length entitled ‘Divinihility‘ to be released this March. The official video for the first single from the album, “Ectopian” is compelling to say the least with its Coptic atmospherics and wringing psychedelia set to modern blackened death metal. A bit of everything, including some slam/deathcore influenced chugs. Intrigue! Check the song out on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Memento Mori have secured yet another brilliant and underrated death metal act in signing Italian troupe VALGRIND who’ve announced their fourth full-length has been in the works since the middle of 2019. Inspired by ancient mythos of great beasts shared among countless cultures this yet untitled record will release in late 2020 or early 2021. In the meantime make sure you check out their 2018 record ‘Blackest Horizons’, one of my favorites from that year and a sure thing if you’re a fan of classic USDM in the early 90’s, particularly the Florida scene. Keep an eye on Valgrind’s Facebook page as the information comes: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Clavis Secretorvm have announced they will release CD and 12″ LP versions of occult black metal tyrant GRAFVITNIR’s 2012 debut ‘NâHásh‘. A limited and brutally hidden beginning for the distinct and violent Swedish melodic black metal band now allows fans such as myself to complete the circle. It’ll release February 14th, pre-orders are up on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Signal Rex have announced January 31st as the day of release epic German black metal project ZALMOXIS‘ latest mini-album, ‘A Nocturnal Emanation’, on cassette and 12″ vinyl. The album artwork from Nether Temple Design is incredible as it perfectly represents the creative storm of this expansive, mind-flogging song. An 11 minute preview of the 24 minute song is available at Signal Rex‘ Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Prophecy Productions present the second album from Markov Soroka‘s devastating extreme doom metal project DROWN entitled ‘Subaqueous’ for release on February 28th. Now based out of Portland and backed fully by Prophecy, Soroka’s inspired output should ring a bell between Tchornobog and Aureole. The album intends to “create realms of fluorescent beauty” and the album trailer they’ve put up on Faceboook and YouTube is surely a watery, fungal wonder thanks to Adam Burke‘s artwork and Greg Chandler‘s production values. Hugely anticipated on my end. Listen on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- London based avant-garde doomed black metal modernists LYCHGATE have signed to the brilliant Debemur Morti Productions for their fourth full-length entitled ‘Also sprach Futura’ which will see release on March 13th. Even a passing description of this high concept examination of futuristic ailment centered around numerous points of disconnection from reality, all of which plague humanity day over day. Truly avant-garde, from artwork to concept and surely their musical patterning will have morphed again severely. The thought brings great excitement. Jet over to their Facebook page for more details and album artwork: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Werewolf Records proudly sets February 14th as the day to fill all bleeding hearts with the black ichor of Finnish symphonic black metal band FAUSTIAN PACT‘s grotesquely anticipated debut album, ‘Outojen Tornien Varjoissa‘. As far as I know Vargrav’s V-KhaoZ has provided keyboards on this fantastic album. An inspired and triumphant first impression comes by way of “Myytti Am’Khollenin Kuninkaasta” on Werewolf Records‘ Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Blues Funeral Recordings have announced ‘Refractions’ the second album from long lost Swedish desert rock/stoner metal band LOWRIDER will release on February 21st, twenty years after their first album and nearly as many since their hiatus was described as ‘definite’. Limited edition vinyl colors are already selling out if you’re a weirdo collector. This was an important band for Scandinavian stoner rock and it’ll be phenomenally interesting to see what they’ve come put with, intermittently writing this record across such a huge expanse of time. Pre-order on Blues Funeral‘s site: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- NOTABLE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Lowrider, Raspberry Bulbs, Folian, Medium, Exhumation, Grimah, Summon, Wilczyca, Necrochaos, Mourir, Svengahli, Faustian Pact, Pantheon of Blood, Goblinsmoker, Krypta Nicestwa, Atavisma, Void Rot, Ossaert, Zalmoxis, Torpedo, Impiety, Lethvm, Muvitium, Brotthogg, Machinations of Fate, Plague, Hot Graves, Sargeist, Frigoris, Seven Planets, Wardaemonic, Lesath, Monolithe, Abhomine, Malignament, Blood Spore, Nattverd, Lurker of Chalice, Askvader, Diabology, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (1/01/20 – 1/10/20)
- Ten From the Tomb 1/06/20: Weave the long delay of thwarting gales.
- This year Ten From the Tomb will post every Monday with a list of 10 new releases coming out during that current week and a short review will be included with each one. All themed lists will be made succinct for quarterly pieces and some side projects that need extra time. This was an amazing week for music but I guess only if you’re into black metal
- Favorites: Waldgeflüster, Kassad, Aseptic.
- Bring out your dead… | 2019
- If you don’t remember this feature from last year Bring out your dead… collects several mid-to-high scoring releases from the year that I’d otherwise missed, didn’t have time to write about, or paid no mind to. 30 items in total, all of them above average.
- Highlights: Bodyfarm, Dorminn, Seventh Circle, Scaphism, Shock Narcotic.
- Lotus Thief – Oresteia (2020) | REVIEW
- Mortal Incarnation – Lunar Radiant Dawn [Cassette] (2020) | REVIEW
- Empire of the Moon – ΕΚΛΕΙΨΙΣ (2020) | REVIEW
- Odious Mortem – Synesthesia (2020) | REVIEW
- Conan Neutron & The Secret Friends – Protons and Electrons [Vinyl] (2019) | REVIEW
- Kawir – Adrasteia (2020) | REVIEW
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (1/01/19 – 1/10/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- UNBOUNDED TERROR – Faith in Chaos [Xtreem Music] DEATH METAL
- ASEPTIC – Cascading Fluids [Redefining Darkness] DEATH METAL
- VAEOK – Vaeok [W.T.C. Productions] BLACK METAL
- EMPIRE OF THE MOON – Εκλειψις [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- WALDGEFLUSTER – Stimmen im Wind 2020 [Nordvis] ATMOBLACK METAL
- HAUNT – Mind Freeze [Shadow Kingdom Records] HEAVY METAL
- KAWIR – Adrasteia [Iron Bonehead Productions] PAGAN BLACK METAL
- KASSAD – London Orbital [Hypnotic Dirge Records] POST-BLACK
- SNORLAX – II [Brilliant Emperor Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- LOTUS THIEF – Oresteia [Prophecy Productions]
- UNREQVITED – Mosaic II: La déteste et la détresse [Prophecy Productions] POST-BLACK
- MORTAL INCARNATION – Lunar Radiant Dawn [Sentient Ruin] DEATH/DOOM
- MAMMOCK – Itch [Self-Released] NOISE ROCK
- DIABOLOGY – Nobody Believes Me [Self-Released] THRASH/GROOVE
- GRIMAH – Intricacies of Bowed Wisdom [Vertebrae Records] BLACK METAL
- LESATH – Sacred Ashes [Casus Belli Musica] BLACK METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (1/11/19 – 1/17/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- WORMHOLE – The Weakest Among Us [Lacerated Enemy] TECH DEATH/SLAM
- SURGICAL STRIKE – Part of a Sick World [Metalville] THRASH METAL
- THE OSEDAX – Meridians [Self-Released] PROG-SLUDGE
- DOOMED TO FAIL – Fury [Self-Released] MELODIC DEATH METAL
- SVARTTJERN – Shame is Just a Word [Soulseller] BLACK METAL
- BLESSED BLACK – Beyond the Crimson Throne [Self-Released] STONER ROCK/DOOM
- HORNED ALMIGHTY – To Fathom the Master’s Great Design [Scarlet Records] BLACK METAL
- DARKTRIBE – Voici L’Homme [Scarlet Records] PROGRESSIVE POWER METAL
- THE CULT OF DOM KELLER – Ascend! [Cardinal Fuzz] RAW PSYCHEDELIA
- THE JANITORS – Drone Head [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIC ROCK
- THE GOOD THE BAD & THE ZUGLY – Algorithm & Blues [Fysisk Format] MELODIC HARDCORE
- NOBODY – Gospel of the Goat [Inverse Records] ACOUSTIC BLACK METAL
- OROCHEN – Mechanical Eyes [Self-Released] POST-ROCK/NEOFOLK
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.