SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Brutal Paraguayan death metal band VERTHEBRAL have announced their second full-length album, ‘Abysmal Decay’, will be released through Transcending Obscurity Records on December 27th. Their sound appears to have struck into a more ‘brutal’ 2000’s South American death metal sound (or, the non-click drum side of Polish death) and this should feel like a ramp up from the first album back in 2017. Check out the first preview from the album, the title track, on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Duplicate Records have announced January 24th, 2020 as their day to release Istanbul, Turkey black metal trio ZİFİR‘s fourth album, ‘Demoniac Ethics‘. You may remember the band from their 2017 record ‘Kingdom of Nothingness’, a subversive and malevolent sort of edge-crushing black metal that appears to be even more boundary pushing based on this YouTube preview/teaser: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Metalville Records have set January 31st, 2020 as the release date for an archival live album from PAUL DI’ANNO, a festival performance from 2006 that captured a set featuring songs from this three solo records as well as several of the best Iron Maiden classics he’d sung on originally. ‘Hell Over Waltrop – Live in Germany’ won’t feature any overdubs or special treatments, just Di’anno live and raw in top form. Keep up with Metalville on Facebook for further details as they develop: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Nuclear War Now! Productions have finally cracked the vault ov LURKER OF CHALICE and on March 1st, 2020 they’ll release a demo collection/reimagining from the archetypal USBM act. ‘Tellurian Slaked Furnace‘ isn’t just a plain render of the extensive CD-r demos Jef Whitehead (aka Wrest) had circulated in small quantities back in the early 2000’s, as he’s taken the time to craft a 70 minute experience from the tracks included. This isn’t a coal-raking black metal ghast, but an acoustic, ambient, harsh noise, electronic and infernally atmospheric work that is largely instrumental. So, far more of a trip than expected and fantastic album artwork as well, looks like Rodrigo Salvatierra’s work a bit. Listen to “IV” on Nuclear War Now! Productions’ Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- German blackened death/doom metal band INTO COFFIN will release their second full-length ‘Unconquered Abysses’ through the venerable Terror From Hell Records November 29th and oh man, four songs and a full 75 minutes? Is it funeral doom? No, they switch it up pretty often! Think of Goatlord if approached with a mix of pure death/doom (Fuoco Fatuo, maybe) and mid-paced black metal jogs along the way. I’m absolutely looking forward to this record, stoked as fuck to hear the full thing. Check out the first preview track, the 13+ minute “Unconquered Light of Nothingness”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Shadow Kingdom Records sets January 10th, 2020 as the international release date for the third album from Fresno, California heavy metal band HAUNT. Wait what? Another Haunt album!? Awesome. For European fans it looks like High Roller Records and No Remorse will be carrying different color variants. ‘Mind Freeze‘ doesn’t appear interested in pure iteration of the first two full-lengths from the band which’d already been an impressive enough evolution. They’re pulling in more influences from more places and well, you’ll hear more once the singles start releasing. Until now you can check out the album art and pre-order on Shadow Kingdom’s Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Chicago, Illinois death/thrashers CRUSADIST will release their debut album ‘The Unholy Grail‘ in just a couple of weeks here on November 29th. Based on the previews so far I’d say their style is more of a melodic death/thrash sound with modern death metal influences. To spread the word they’ve released a lyric video for the title track over on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Immortal Souls Productions have announced a star-studded debut release from international grindcore act THE BASTARD WITHIN entitled ‘Better Dead Than Friends’ to be released on December 24th. The Bastard Within features members from Conviction, Node, Dying Fetus, Misery Index and will have guest spots from members of Sadist, Mara, Addiction Crew, and Any Face. Don’t know any of those names? Well, their ripping deathgrind sound will be familiar all the same. Check out the first two preview tracks over on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Debemur Morti Productions have announced ‘Age Of Capricorn’, the seventh studio full-length from Polish black metal act, ARKONA. To be released in December, the album will feature their signature sound which incorporates elements of occult black metal and symphonic black metal that is both understated and brutal at once. The lead single “Alone Among Wolves” has been posted on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Austrian atmospheric post-black metal project KARG, one half of Harikiri For the Sky, will release their 7th full-length, ‘Trakat‘ on February 7th, 2020. It sounds like they may tour again. Follow AOP Records on Facebook and watch for a track premier soon: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Italian death metal band DAEMONIAC, composed of ex-Horrid members, are back with more orthodox Swedish death metal worship with their second album ‘Dwellers of the Apocalypse’. Featuring a Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios production and Chris Moyen art and the buzzsaw to back it up no doubt the HM-2 heads out there are going to choke on it. Xtreem Music will release it on December 19th The first single from the record “Rebellion” is available on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Though the exact details are still tentative, German death metal band DISBELIEF have released the first single from their upcoming 2020 full-length ‘The Ground Collapses’, to be released on Listenable Records. “The Waiting” is a fine example of Disbelief pushing their lyrical themes far darker than many of their peers as a song about how suicidal people look to the successful suicide of others in seeking out those places of death, such as the bridge pictured on the single’s cover. The song isn’t amazing but I appreciate the sentiment/heaviness behind it. Check out the song on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The first band to release a pure death metal full-length in Spain UNBOUNDED TERROR, recently completed second a full 28 years after their debut. It will be titled ‘Faith in Chaos‘ and will be released in January 2nd, 2020 in the capable hands of Xtreem Music. The first single, “Hidden From the Light” is a damned skull-crushing tank. Check it out on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Well damn, this debut full-length, ‘Fury‘, from Austrian melodic death metal band DOOMED TO FAIL might be releasing on January 17th, 2020 but it takes me back to the 1999’s best melodeath, stuff like In Thy Dreams, Sins of Omission, and Dark Tranquillity. Into that sort of thing? I am! Sharp playing and catchy, jaunty melodies throughout. Check out their music video for “Betrayer” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have announced January 24th, 2020 as the day Swedish black metal hierophat JORDABLOD‘s second album, ‘The Cabinet of Numinous Song’. This is up there in the top ten of my most anticipated follow-ups as I fuckin’ loved ‘Upon My Creation Pyre’, a psychedelic surfer of obsidian realms. Will try to contain myself as this edges towards release. For now you can preview the resplendent piano-hammering shower of “The Beauty of Every Wound” on SoundCloud: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The true Norwegian black metal spirit of SVARTTJERN will release its fifth black and boiling hoark of hatred with ‘Shame is Just a Word’, on January 17th, 2020 through Soulseller Records. Pure black metal but not at all plain or drab. Check out the opening track “Prince of Disgust” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Colorado science fiction themed death metal band BLOOD INCANTATION have released a music video for “Slave Species of the Gods”, the opener for their upcoming sophomore full-length for Dark Descent/Century Media records, ‘Hidden History of the Human Race’ due out November 22nd. I love this video if only because it captures the sort of promo reels death and thrash metal bands would record in the early 90’s, often smearing them to hell with psychedelic effects. Not sure what I mean? Google search: “insanity morbid lust youtube”. Check out the music video on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Oath of Cruelty, Haunt, Horrified, Verthebral, Nightbearer, Empire of the Moon, Helleborus, Waldgefluster, Blessed Black, Svarttjern, Porta Nigra, Moloken, Revenant Marquis, Crusadist, Deliverance, Osedax, Witchbones, Blackqueen, War Dogs, Saligia, Inverted Matter, The Bastard Within and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (11/02/19 – 11/08/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 11/04/19: Nothing but Black Metal November Pt. I
- This week I chose to cover ten black metal albums that rule, all of them from November, as I’ll be doing four entries of ‘Nothing but Black Metal November’ this year. Normally folks do this as a ‘challenge’ where they listen to nothing but black metal for the month and essentially journal/blog about it. In my case I’ll just be pulling in as much as I can until it is time to work on lists for the end of the year.
- Must hear: Ateiggär, Fuil na Seanchoille, Death Vanish.
- Next week (11/11) will cover black metal from September, October, and November.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #45: Cancer (England) 1987-1993
- When examining the history of British death metal Cancer are often graced with a proud mention but they’d not left a consistent enough legacy to have earned a hallowed and ‘true’ appreciation from longtime fans. Why? Well, it goes without saying that their fourth album, the major label flop ‘Black Faith’ was an abysmal mall-metal groove record and certainly one of the very worst of its kind. It is a shame for that black mark because their first record really is a legendary death/thrash effort that will please fans of classic thrash as much as death metal heads. Their first three albums are worthwhile.
- Next week (11/04) will feature a look at Demented Ted, a long forgotten Chicago death metal band that’d began as a thrash crew in 1986. ‘Promises Impure’ is one of my personal favorite death metal records.
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were from: Esoteric, Megaton Sword, Slow, Remains (Mexico), and Schammasch. I haven’t spent enough time with Terminus or The Drowning yet. Expect reviews all weekend as I catch up with the late October leftovers. I did not receive a copy of Esoteric‘s album so I won’t likely make time for a full review, it is very good.
- Morast – Il Nostro Silenzio (2019) REVIEW
- Mystagos – Azoth (2019) REVIEW
- Blackwater Holylight – Veils of Winter (2019) REVIEW
- Voimaton – Demo 2019 [Cassette] (2019) REVIEW
- Chthonic Deity – Reassembled in Pain (2019) REVIEW
- Novembers Doom – Nephilim Grove (2019) REVIEW
- Ignivomous – Hieroglossia (2019) REVIEW
- Obscure – Darkness Must Prevail (2019) REVIEW
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (11/02/19 – 11/08/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- THE DROWNING – The Radiant Dark [Transcending Obscurity Records] MELODEATH/DOOM
- SLOW – VI: Dantalion [Aural Music] FUNERAL DOOM*
- MEGATON SWORD – Niralet [Dying Victims Productions] EPIC HEAVY METAL*
- GALAXY – Lost From the Start [Dying Victims Productions] EPIC HEAVY/SPEED METAL*
- QUAYDE LAHUE – Love Out of Darkness [Adult Fantasy Records] HEAVY ROCK/METAL
- WOLFBRIGADE – The Enemy: Reality [Southern Lord] DEATHCRUST
- INFIRMITY – Descendants of Sodom [Lost Apparitions Records] DEATH METAL
- BLACK BEAST – Nocturnal Bloodlust [Primitive Reaction] BLACK METAL
- DEATH VANISH – Total Solitary Instinct [Eternal Death] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- MORTUARY – The Autophagous Reign [Xenokorp] DEATH/THRASH METAL*
- TERMINUS – A Single Point of Light [Cruz Del Sur Music] EPIC HEAVY METAL
- MIDNIGHT PREY – Uncertain Times [Dying Victims Productions] HEAVY ROCK/METAL
- WOLF JAW – The Heart Won’t Listen [Listenable Records] HEAVY ROCK
- IMPERIAL JADE – On the Rise [Listenable Records] HARD ROCK
UPCOMING RELEASES (11/08/19 – 11/15/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- NOX IRAE – Here the Dead Live [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH THRASH METAL
- WARSENAL – Feast Your Eyes [Svart Records] THRASH METAL*
- WITCH TRAIL – The Sun Has Left the Hill [Consouling Sounds] PSYCHEDELIC DOOM-WAVE*
- RAGNAROK – Non Debellicata [Agonia Records] BLACK METAL
- OPPOSITION PARTY – Tales to Horrify [Pulverised Records] THRASH METAL*
- NECROPANTHER – The Doomed City [Self-Released] MELODEATH/THRASH*
- SWAMP BEAST / VOID TERROR – Split [Me Saco Un Ojo Records] DEATH METAL
- DIABOLIC NIGHT – Beyond the Realm [High Roller Records] HEAVY METAL
- CHAMBER OF TORTURE – Necrodomain [Eclectic Productions] DEATH METAL
- FOREST MYSTICISM / KRYPTA NICESTWA – [November 15th] BLACK METAL
- VERDUN – Astral Sabbath [Deadlight Records] SLUDGE/DOOM METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.