SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Les Acteurs de L’Ombre Productions have announced a new MOONREICH EP to be released on November 22nd entitled ‘Wormgod‘ and on this occasion they’ve provided the opening number (and title track) as the first single. Over the course of their career this project has gotten increasingly bold with their choices, opting to avoid the typical atmospheric leanings of black metal and polishing their bombastic approach without sterilizing it. Check the song out on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Barcelona high-energy speed metallers STREET LETHAL have signed a deal with Fighter Records for the release of their debut full-length, ‘Welcome to the Row’, on December 5th of this year. Plenty of classic Spanish metal influence here but also some NWOBHM feeling phrasing from vocalist Elena (aka Hell Rose Lethal). Check out the solos on their first single, “Tyrants”, on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Prepare thy blood, thy sacrifice and thy rites as the marble throne thirsts for penance Iron Bonehead Productions sets January 10th, 2020 as the caustic anti-cosmic eclipse of EMPIRE OF THE MOON‘s sophomore album ‘ΕΚΛΕΙΨΙΣ’. If you’re out of the Greek black metal loop these guys have been around forever in but their first demo was released in ’97 and first album in 2014 due to other projects taking center stage. Listen to the first single “Imperium Tridentis” and quickly soak in their brilliant take on a classic sound! It is up on SoundCloud: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Polish technical death metal afterburner DEIVOS have revealed their sixth full-length album entitled ‘Casus Belli‘ which is confirmed for a November 29th release through Selfmadegod Records, the band’s home for the last three of their six records. The lead single, “Ataraxy”, carries with it a recognizable post-‘De Profundis’ Polish death metal sound that they’re known for. Check out the song on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Prophecy Productions have released “Those Who Walk The Fog” the first-ever published song by CAVERNOUS GATE a ‘cinematic doom death’ project from S.K. (Helrunar). The track scomes from a full-length split album between Cavernous Gate and avant-black project SUN OF THE SLEEPLESS. Pre-save, pre-order, and preview before its upcoming December 6th release using the following link: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- French black/death metal band THE ORDER OF APOLLYON have released a live video for the song “Trident Of Flesh”, from the band’s fantastic third album ‘Moriah’, released on Agonia Records. The video was recorded at Ascension Festival 2019 in Iceland. Check it out on Agonia’s YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- On November 29th Invictus Productions and Iron Bonehead Productions will release two separate split EPs from Belgium based black/death band POSSESSION. The band have written the two pieces within one theme, their sides titled ‘Passio Christi Part I & II’. Invictus will release ‘Passio Christi Part I / (Beyond the) Witch’s Spell’ with the incredible SPITE, Iron Bonehead will release ‘Passio Christi Part II / Necrophagous Abandon’ with French black metal band VENEFIXION. Looking forward to both EPs as all three of these bands rule. Follow Possession on Facebook to keep up with further details: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Barcelona thrashers CRISIX have announced their latest release will be a classic thrash covers album entitled ‘Sessions #1: American Thrash’ through Listenable Records on November 8th. This title seems to suggest there will be more Sessions releases that cover different influential eras/scenes from classic thrash. They’ve gone almost fully Bay Area here but tracks from Anthrax and Demolition Hammer mix things up along the way. Check out their cover of Exodus’ hit “Toxic Waltz” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- New Jersey based stoner/doom metal band SOLACE have announced their upcoming full-length, ‘The Brink’, to be released through Blues Funeral Recordings on December 13th this year. I haven’t kept up with this band since 2007 or so, time to catch up! Watch this Bandcamp page for tracks/pre-order soon: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The venerable Caligari Records have set November 29th as the day of release for SEVENTH CIRCLE‘s debut demo tape, ‘Cycle of Violence‘. This is a goddamned nasty bolt of sludge-ridden death/doom taking cues from ’91 death metal as much as ’91 industrial rock and post-punk. The opening song “Deathmask” is one hell of a gnarled freakout and I loved it. Check it out on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Dunkelheit Produktionen have revealed a collection of re-recordings from Italy’s longest running death metal band HORRID entitled ‘As We Forget Our Past’. CD version releases December 31st this year, LP releases February 18th, 2020. No doubt Horrid were heavily influenced by Dismember in the mid 90’s but it’ll be interesting to see if some of their earlier more primitive side is represented. Two preview tracks are available on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Blood Harvest Records have picked December 13th to release IN OBSCURITY REVEALED‘s debut album, ‘Glorious Impurity‘, with the LP version coming January 31st, 2020. Who? These Swedes rip through black/death metal that is both primitive and war-like but also thrashing like hell as if they’d arrived in Brazil circa 1987, reminds me of Impure a bit. Check out Bandcamp for two preview tracks: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Crisix, Into Coffin, Deivos, Mental Cavity, Hypno5e, Nocturnal Depression, Verdun, Haystack, In Obscurity Revealed, Black Talon, Svart1, Seventh Circle, The Wraith, Possession, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (10/26/19 – 11/01/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 10/28/19: Hail to me in my king’s disguise.
- This week I chose to cover ten Heavy Metal albums of the traditional variety. As someone abruptly notified me through a DM on Facebook “Shits all B-tier, dummy”– Thanks.
- Must hear: Iron Griffin, Toxikull, Fatal Curse.
- Next week (11/04) will likely cover Black Metal.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #44: Vengeance Rising (United States) 1985-1992
- Vengeance Rising were a Christian extreme thrash metal band that’d form by the hand of a pastor linking a group of musicians with a singer. Based out of Los Angeles and long the butt of many jokes about the quality of ‘white metal’ it’d be fair to suggest the material from this pseudo-death metal/brutal thrash band is mediocre but the charisma on hand is palpable. If Funeral Nation can get away with rock-heavy thrashers then why not these guys? Fuck Christianity, though.
- Next week (11/04) will feature a look at Cancer, a British death/thrash band that have been inconsistent from album to album over the years but each record has some appreciable merit if you take a close enough look.
- Metal of the Month: October’s Finest 15 Releases (2019)
- October really had me showing my appreciation for death and doom metal variations and I’d really felt like I had overlooked a lot of good black metal. But when I sat down with my list of 100+ albums to consider for the month it’d become clear that the issue wasn’t so much variation, just that it was probably the best month for music so far this year besides the start of the summer months. Any regrets? Well, I do want to emphasize that Novembers Doom, Hour of Penance and Blackwater Holylight would have dominated any other month, each record is absolutely slick.
- Includes: Runemagick, Sarcasm, Mortiferum, Orthodox, Orodruin, Vastum, The Lone Madman, Unaussprechlichen Kulten, Mystagos, Ectoplasma, Kadavar, Xul ov Kvlten, Opium Lord, Coilguns, Grendel’s Sÿster.
REVIEWS: Apologies for the light load of reviews this week, I’ve gotten stuck on a few albums while listening ahead to November and didn’t properly keep up with October. I will be in a state of constant spine-bending eustress until the solstice comes. The big releases this week were from: Nile and Angel Witch to start, but I didn’t receive promos for them so my thoughts will have to wait. Will review Angel Witch since I bought it, don’t really care about Nile. Otherwise the big deals were: Orthodoxy, Mystagos, Ectoplasma, Year of the Cobra, Novembers Doom, Kosmokrator, and Voimation‘s demo! Also check out what Carbonized Records has put out recently, fantastic set of death metal EPs this month.
- Ectoplasma – White Eyed Trance (2019) REVIEW
- Orodruin – Ruins of Eternity (2019) REVIEW
- Aggravator – Aggravator (2019) REVIEW
- Xoth – Interdimensional Invocations (2019) REVIEW
- Profetus – The Sadness of Time Passing (2019) REVIEW
- Teitanblood – The Baneful Choir (2019) REVIEW
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (10/25/19 – 11/01/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MYSTAGOS – Azoth [BlackSeed Productions] BLACK METAL*
- ATOMIC CRETINS – Spiritual Cancer [Suicide Bong Tapes] METALPUNK
- ONIRICOUS – La Maldicion [BlackSeed Productions] DEATH METAL*
- LVX CAELIS – Maher Shalal Hash Baz [Lamech Records] OCCULT BLACK METAL
- VULTUR – Drowned in Gangrenous Blood [Memento Mori] BRUTAL DEATH METAL*
- DIE KUNST DER FINSTERNIS Revenant in a Phantom World [Lamech Records] VAMPIRE METAL
- AEGRUS – Wolves Howl Revenge [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- GROND / GRACELESS – Endless Spiral of Terror [Raw Skull Recordz] DEATH METAL
- VAULTWRAITH – Light the Candle In Honour of Devils [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK/DEATH/THRASH*
- PSYCHOMANCER – Shards of the Hourglass [Orchestrated Misery Recordings] DEATH METAL*
- NACHTIG – Nachtig [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- DEFORM / MORTUOUS – Lamenting Reflections [Carbonized Records] DEATH METAL
- VALOSTA VARJOON – Oberpfälzer Wald [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- QAYIN REGIS – Doctrine [BlackSeed Productions] BLACK METAL*
- V/A BROWN ACID: THE NINTH TRIP [RidingEasy Records] HEAVY PSYCH*
- CHTHONIC DEITY – Reassembled in Pain [Carbonized Records] DEATH METAL*
- PH – Osiris Hayden [Svart Records] PSYCHEDELIA
- KAAMOS WARRIORS – Shadows Of Northern Chaos [Inverse Records] DARK METAL
- XENO OOZE – Parasligm Shift [Last World Records] GRINDCORE
- ORNATORPET – [Nordvis] DUNGEON SYNTH
- NOVEMBERS DOOM – Nephilim Grove [Prophecy Productions] PROG/DEATH-DOOM METAL*
- YEAR OF THE COBRA – Ash and Dust [Prophecy Productions] STONER DOOM METAL*
- VOIMATION – Demo 2019 [Blood Harvest Records] DEATH/DOOM METAL
- PAGANIZER – The Tower of the Morbid [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH METAL
- KING HISS – Earthquaker [Self-Released] STONER ROCK
- WALD KRYPTA – Where None Remain [Eternal Death] BLACK METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (11/02/19 – 11/08/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- OBSCURE – Darkness Must Prevail [Xtreem Music] DEATH METAL
- THE DROWNING – The Radiant Dark [Transcending Obscurity Records] MELODEATH/DOOM
- SLOW – VI: Dantalion [Aural Music] FUNERAL DOOM
- MEGATON SWORD – Niralet [Dying Victims Productions] HEAVY METAL
- GALAXY – Lost From the Start [Dying Victims Productions] EPIC HEAVY/SPEED METAL
- QUAYDE LAHUE – Love Out of Darkness [Adult Fantasy Records] HEAVY ROCK/METAL
- WOLFBRIGADE – The Enemy: Reality [Southern Lord] DEATHCRUST
- INFIRMITY – Descendants of Sodom [Lost Apparitions Records] DEATH METAL
- BLACK BEAST – Nocturnal Bloodlust [Primitive Reaction] BLACK METAL
- DEATH VANISH – Total Solitary Instinct [Eternal Death] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- MORTUARY – The Autophagous Reign [Xenokorp] DEATH/THRASH METAL
- TERMINUS – A Single Point of Light [Cruz Del Sur Music] EPIC HEAVY METAL
- MIDNIGHT PREY – Uncertain Times [Dying Victims Productions] HEAVY ROCK/METAL
- WOLF JAW – The Heart Won’t Listen [Listenable Records] HEAVY ROCK
- IMPERIAL JADE – On the Rise [Listenable Records] HARD ROCK
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.