SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Swedish melodic death metal gods SARCASM released one of the best records of the year earlier this month and they’ve managed to put together a pretty solid music video for the final track “The Great Calm Embraced” thanks to Anton Humphreys. Just putting the band in a dank old basement and having them perform the piece is a plain but effective way to showcase the intensity of their playing. I’m still completely blown away by ‘Esoteric Tales of the Unserene’ and if you haven’t heard it yet, start with the music video on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Our Silent Canvas have announced the second album, ‘Nous II‘ from improvisational experimental collaboration NOUS for release on December 6th. The troupe is lead by composer Christopher Bono but also features members/ex-members of Swans, Liturgy, and a myriad of guests. I’m still on the fence about this one but check out the latest preview track, “Look Again at that Dot”, on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- One of my own personal most anticipated, but not expected, releases of the year arrives through the fine folks at Eisenwald this December 13th as North America receives ‘Secret Ambrosian Fire‘, the debut full-length from Thuringian folklorist MOSAIC. Myths, legends, and lore of Germany’s Hörselberge mountain region will be the main theme of the listen and feature the additional talents of members of Osi and the Jupiter, Equilibrium, and Grift. Follow Mosaic on Facebook to keep up: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Spanish heavy/speed metal band WAR DOGS have announced their singing with Xtreem Music trad metal imprint Fighter Records who’ll be releasing their debut full-length ‘Die By My Sword’ on January 9th. Pretty boppin’ song, check out the title track on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Norwegian black metal lifers RAGNAROK have released a new single entitled “Chapel Of Shadows” in service of the Sarpsborg based band’s ninth studio album, ‘Non Debellicata’. From what I’ve heard so far it is a record that toys with modernity but is still very cognizant of the bands musical history. The full thing will release on November 15th from Agonia Records and for now “Chapel of Shadows” is on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Aeternitas Tenebrarum Music Foundation sets December 13th as the point of release for Italian atmospheric black metal band COMANDO PRAETORIO‘s debut album, ‘Ignee Sacertà Ctonie‘. These guys have played in some great death metal projects (Eroded, Bastard Saints) so I’m looking forward to seeing how their experiences inform this otherwise modern and textural atmoblack sound. Check out the first preview track, the epic “Barbarie della pietà” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- They’ve taken ten years off in terms of full-lengths but British doom band THE RIVER have finally announced their return with a third full-length entitled ‘Vessels Into White Tides‘. To be released on December 11th through Nine Records, the tone is sour, sullen and listlessly melancholic doom metal a la Warning or early Pallbearer. I’m looking forward to this quite a bit based on the video they’ve released for “Vessels”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Ordo MCM have announced December 6th as the official gold-plating of sludge/doom mutants SACRED MONSTER‘s debut full-length ‘Worship the Weird’ receives the gold vinyl treatment. Since it was self-released earlier this year chances are you’ve not heard it so hit up the link at the end of this blurb to hear it. Fantastic album: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The second album from Canuck thrash quartet HAZZERD, ‘Delirium’, is due January 24th, 2020 and hey, this video for the first single, “A Tormented Reality,” is a great start. Plenty of shredding, which I’d expect from an M-Theory Audio release but also a pretty slick Death Angel kind of sound. If figure if this record goes tech-thrash at all I’m into it. Check the video for “A Tormented Reality” out on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Roman psychedelic doom metal band DOOMRAISER have announced their signing to Italian metal/rock label Time To Kill Records for the release of their fifth album to be released in early 2020. Exciting news for those who follow the band, I’m a huge fan of their ‘Mountains of Madness‘ record from 2011 and can’t wait to hear the yet untitled new album. Check out a teaser trailer over on YouTube for now: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- German power-thrashers SURGICAL STRIKE have announced their signing to Metalville Records who’ll be releasing the bands debut full-length ‘Part of a Sick World’ on January 24th, 2020. More of a cleaner, commercial sounding thrash band that are nonetheless very aggressive. Check out the announcement and follow them on Facebook to keep up: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Blood Harvest Records have set December 13th as the international release date for black/death metal solo act XANTAM‘s debut mini-album, ‘Altered State’, on CD and cassette with the 12″ vinyl version coming January 31st, 2020. This guy has a really fresh grasp of atmospheric details and melodically charged black/death, not far from what Mefitis are doing but from a different perspective. Check out the Rok looking cover art and the song “Psuedogods” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Canberra, Australia based death/sludge/grind band MENTAL CAVITY will follow up their debut full-length ‘Aneurysm’ (2018) with a second full-length slated for release December 6th through Brilliant Emperor, Oblivious Maximus Records and Medusa Crush Records depending on format. Their sound on this “Neuro Siege” single reminds me of Scandinavian death metal crossed with crust punk and post-1998 Napalm Death. Check it out on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Les Acteurs De L’Ombre Productions have released the first song from progressive sludge/doom metal band MONOLITHE‘s upcoming full-length ‘Okta Khora’. “Okta Khora Part I” is a four minute instrumental featuring luxurious layering of soaring guitars, post-metal advances that serve to introduce the album in fine form. Leading up to its January 30th, 2020 release date a new track will be released every two weeks so, subscribe on YouTube or follow the band/label on Facebook: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- German death metal horde REVEL IN FLESH have revealed a first track, “Blood Oath” from their upcoming fifth full-length ‘The Hour Of The Avenger’ which will be released December 6th through War Anthem Records. This is already sounding like one of their best records with a huge sound thanks to Swanö/Unisound; I always felt like this band were at their best when they lead with a semi-melodic sound. Listen to “Blood Oath” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Child Bite, Mosaic, Obsequiae, Revel in Flesh, Sun o))), Lord Mantis, Trinitas, Wolfbrigade, Kosmokrator, The River, Ploughshare, Comando Praetorio, Xantam, Arvas, El Drugstore, Broken Spirit, Gaua, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (10/19/19 – 10/25/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 10/21/19: …As carnage, and looting, and killing begins.
- This week I chose to cover ten ‘freaks’ from the month of September because I’d felt like I didn’t cover enough of the more interesting records put out last month. The backlog is haunting me.
- Must hear: High Command, Horrid Apparition, Terrific Verdict.
- Next week (10/28) will likely cover Black Metal.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #43: Massacra (France) 1986-1992
- Massacra don’t solely represent the strength and the passion that defined the early extreme metal scenes across France but their classic triad of death/thrash albums and wildly brutal thrashing demo tapes surely contributed a massive amount of credibility alongside Loudblast, Agressor, Mercyless, and their ilk. ‘Final Holocaust’ has some of the best death/thrash metal riffs ever written, ‘Enjoy the Violence’ is that form made perfect, and well the band would lose their way eventually. A longtime favorite of mine, I didn’t really find any meaningful angle while writing this entry, but I enjoyed spending the day listening to this cool ass butt-rippin’ band.
- Next week (10/29) will feature a look at a discography I’ve been avoiding on purpose… Christian death/thrashers Vengeance Rising (United States), I’ll be swapping the order of these last seven entries slightly so it could be Sepultura or Cancer instead.
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were from: Runemagick, Orodriun, Coilguns, Hour of Penance, Vastum, The Lone Madman, Savage Master, Alcest, Ogre and a few others. Yes, it is a packed week so I’m about 6-7 reviews behind schedule. Don’t miss out on albums by Cleric, Tragic Death, Wolves Like Us, Throatsnapper and recent remasters of Vassago‘s sole album and Cenotaph‘s third album. A review for Metro Exodus (the video game) is coming soon along with full reviews for the stuff I’ve slacked on [Coilguns, Ectoplasma, Orodruin, Hour of Penance, Mystagos, and Savage Master].
- Paladin – Purification du Mal (2019) REVIEW
- Vastum – Orificial Purge (2019) REVIEW
- Bretus – Aion Tetra (2019) REVIEW
- Orthodoxy – Novus Lux Dominus (2019) REVIEW
- Denial of God – The Hallow Mass (2019) REVIEW
- Bhleg – Äril (2019) REVIEW
- Sammath – Across the Rhine is Only Death (2019) REVIEW
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- ORANSSI PAZUZU w/Insect Ark 10/27/2019 @ Chop Suey – Seattle, WA
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (10/19/19 – 10/25/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ORODRUIN – Ruins of Eternity [Cruz Del Sur Music] DOOM METAL*
- BOTANIST – Ecosystem [Aural Music] AVANT-BLACK METAL
- KARYN CRISIS’ GOSPEL OF THE WITCHES – Covenant [Aural Music] AVANT-METAL*
- MILLENNIUM – A New World [Pure Steel Records] HEAVY METAL*
- HOUR OF PENANCE – Misotheism [Agonia Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- TIMELOST – Don’t Remember Me For This [Golden Antennae] GRUNGE-GAZE*
- SAVAGE MASTER – Myth, Magic and Steel [Shadow Kingdom Records] HEAVY METAL*
- VASSAGO – Knights From Hell [Nuclear War Now! Productions] BLACK/DEATH METAL Remaster
- TYRANT GOATGALDRAKONA – Marquis of Evil [Blood Harvest Records] BLACK METAL
- SOLICITOR – Sölicitör [Gates of Hell Records] SPEED METAL
- ABRONIA – The Whole of Each Eye [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIC ROCK
- THE SCOURGE – Warrant For Execution [Seeing Red Records] HEAVY METAL
- TAIWAZ – The Uninvited Guest [Psykofarmaka Records] DOOM METAL
- CLERIC – Serpent Psalms [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH METAL*
- TRAGIC DEATH – Born of Dying Embers [Self-Released] DEATH METAL*
- THROATSNAPPER – About the Dead [Consouling Sounds] SLUDGE/DOOM METAL*
UPCOMING RELEASES (10/25/19 – 11/01/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ECTOPLASMA – White-Eyed Trance [Memento Mori] DEATH METAL*
- MYSTAGOS – Azoth [BlackSeed Productions] BLACK METAL*
- ATOMIC CRETINS – Spiritual Cancer [Suicide Bong Tapes] METALPUNK
- ONIRICOUS – La Maldicion [BlackSeed Productions] DEATH METAL*
- LVX CAELIS – Maher Shalal Hash Baz [Lamech Records] OCCULT BLACK METAL
- VULTUR – [Memento Mori] BRUTAL DEATH METAL*
- DIE KUNST DER FINSTERNIS Revenant in a Phantom World [Lamech Records] VAMPIRE METAL
- AEGRUS – Wolves Howl Revenge [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- GROND / GRACELESS – Endless Spiral of Terror [Raw Skull Recordz] DEATH METAL
- VAULTWRAITH – Light the Candle In Honour of Devils [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK/DEATH/THRASH*
- PSYCHOMANCER – Shards of the Hourglass [Orchestrated Misery Recordings] DEATH METAL*
- NACHTIG – Nachtig [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- DEFORM / MORTUOUS – Lamenting Reflections [Carbonized Records] DEATH METAL
- VALOSTA VARJOON – Oberpfälzer Wald [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- QAYIN REGIS – Doctrine [BlackSeed Productions] BLACK METAL*
- V/A BROWN ACID: THE NINTH TRIP [RidingEasy Records] HEAVY PSYCH*
- CHTHONIC DEITY – Reassembled in Pain [Carbonized Records] DEATH METAL*
- PH – Osiris Hayden [Svart Records] PSYCHEDELIA
- KAAMOS WARRIORS – Shadows Of Northern Chaos [Inverse Records] DARK METAL
- XENO OOZE – Parasligm Shift [Last World Records] GRINDCORE
- ORNATORPET – [Nordvis] DUNGEON SYNTH*
- NOVEMBERS DOOM – Nephilim Grove [Prophecy Productions] PROG/DEATH-DOOM METAL*
- YEAR OF THE COBRA – Ash and Dust [Prophecy Productions] STONER DOOM METAL*
- VOIMATION – Demo 2019 [Blood Harvest Records] DEATH/DOOM METAL
- PAGANIZER – The Tower of the Morbid [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH METAL
- KING HISS – Earthquaker [Self-Released] STONER ROCK
- WALD KRYPTA – Where None Remain [Eternal Death] BLACK METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support GrizzlyButts’ goals:</strong>
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.