SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Chartres, France based atmospheric black metal project PENITENCE ONIRIQUE begin to close the gap in waiting for their second full-length ‘Vestige’ with the first single “Souveraineté Suprême”. This record feels more weighty than ‘V.I.T.R.I.O.L.’ did back in 2016, perhaps due to very clear production values. Should be a very different record than the last one some sense because all members are new here besides one. I don’t know if anyone has been able to un-see Jeff Bridges‘ face in the album art, unfortunately! Check it out yourself on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Paris based black/sludge metal quintet DELIVERANCE have announced their signing to Deadlight Records for their second full-length entitled ‘Holocaust 26:1-46’ which has been produced by Magnus Lindberg (Cult of Luna) and will see release in early 2020. If you’ve never heard of the band, I hadn’t either, you can check out their 2017 debut ‘CHRST’ for now: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- French pagan black metal band TAN KOZH have shared a new trailer for their debut album, ‘Lignages Oubliés’, which is set for release on November 15th through Antiq Records. The preview is surely indicative of a rhythmic, almost tribalistic sound and the artwork for the album is fantastic. The sound is a bit different by sti than the albums he’s contributed to for Himinbjorg and Belenos. See what you think of the clip yourself on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Helter Skelter Productions have set December 6th as the release date for ‘Diabolical Flames of the Ascended Plague‘, a split LP between Texas’ death metal gods IMPRECATION and Greek warblast BLACK BLOOD INVOCATION. You already know you need the Imprecation side but stick around for the Demoncy sounding blackened death metal on Side B, courtesy from Nygotha of Cult of Eibon and Hate Manifesto. There are preview tracks from both bands up on Bandcamp now: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- If you’re a fan of melodic hardcore punk of the Scandinavian variety a fourth album from THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE ZUGLY has been announced for release on January 17th, 2020 through Fysisk Format. I’d really enjoyed ‘Misanthropical House’ (2018) quite a bit so I’m looking forward to ‘Algorithm and Blues’. Follow them on Facebook to keep up: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Science fiction themed Northern Irish epic heavy metal band TERMINUS have released a second single from their second album, ‘A Single Point of Light‘, slated for release November 9th on Cruz Del Sur Music. Their sound is pretty flawless, with riffs and atmosphere that remind of early Queensryche as often as they do early Solstice or Argus. Stream “Harvest” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- If you’d carried any fear in your chest that your hike to the top of the ruins of a once great castle would lose its thrilling climax, grasp your copy of ‘Suspended in the Brume of Eos’ for good luck, and witness “In the Garden of Hyacinths”. This (technically third) preview track from Minnesota epic black metal project OBSEQUIAE‘s third full-length is the kaleidoscopic coloring of Fall’s merciful wetness before the darkness sets in. It stuns me into paralysis that the ‘magic’ of an Obsequiae song never dies or tires in my mind, it can play on repeat forever for all I care. May the waft of their brilliance haste the rush of serotonin that’ll come when 20 Buck Spin hit the ‘Go’ button on November 22nd: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Another Minnesota artist, but a very different one, noise rock trio BUILDINGS up the are sending me mixed messages on the second single from their anxiously awaited anxiety-inducing fourth full-length ‘Negative Sounds’. “Felt Like a Perfume” is a bit of a eulogy based on its description but the vibe is somewhere hard n’ 90’s a la Unsane. Excellent song, figure out what you’re getting from the lyrics over on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Osmose Productions have announced January 31st, 2020 will be the day all self-professed enemies of Satan will the raptured by the wave of lung-bursting blood unleashed alongside blackened speed metal band BÜTCHER‘s second album the impiously extravagant ‘666 Goats Carry My Chariot‘. The announcement and artwork reveal from the master Kris Verwimp is all up on the band’s Facebook: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Consider the implications of this burial in the coals and embers of coldest Hel through the meticulous craftwork of Madrid, Spain based TEITANBLOOD who’ve released their third full-length album, ‘The Baneful Choir’, into glory without ceremony. The full thing has been released as of October 18th and it would be fair to say this is some of the most detailed and relentless work from the band to date. Fantastically huge sound, raw and just bristling with the sting of melting flesh. Listen on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Ever played Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery? Not dark enough, eh? Hyper Light Drifter? Blasphemous? Well, check out this video for “Blight & Conquer” from HOUR OF PENANCE who’ve chosen a dark fantasy ‘pixel art’ style for this second single from their upcoming full-length ‘Misotheism‘. The record is pretty good, very brutal and this song in particular reminds me of ‘The Apostasy’ era Behemoth thanks to layered vocals and some care from infamous Polish mix/master artists Hertz Studios. Awesome to learn that the band love video games, and remark on the Souls series as a particular point of interest. ‘Misotheism’ will be out October 25th on Agonia Records. Watch the video on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Swedish experimental atmospheric black metal band OFDRYKKJA have returned from from disaffection with their third full-length album ‘Gryningsvisor’, on November 29th through AOP Records. Definitely check this one out if you’re heavily into what labels like Prophecy, Nordvis, and Hypnotic Dirge have been up to lately. Otherwise settle into the respite of contemplation with the latest single “The Swan”, it can be listened to on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- LORD MANTIS have released a second glance upon their fourth full-length ‘Universal Death Church’ through the vessel of “Qliphotic Alpha”. This track almost has a sort of Mantar kinda venomous swinging menace to it that I love. Profound Lore Records will have the whole thing hot n’ ready on November 22nd, for now check out the track on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Blasting infernal in the deepest pits of Vancouver, British Colombia the cursed invocation of HUMAN AGONY is upon us by the needle-and-wax projections of Invictus Productions. The blackest of threats become reality on December 7th as ‘Putrescence of Cavalry‘ is spirited unto war metallic furor as the band’s debut full-length. I’d never gotten around to reviewing their tape ‘Goring Christ’ so I’ll likely take a closer look at this debut. So far the title track and album closer is up for preview on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Who would’ve figure anyone’d be able to get noise rock CHILD BITE to stop touring for long enough to give us a follow up to ‘Negative Noise’ (2016) but hey here we are in late 2019 and Housecore Records have announced they’re putting out ‘Blow Off The Omens‘ November 22nd. I’ve seen this band live at least six or seven times in the last several years, one of many bands that keeps me lookin’ for headache rock on a regular basis. Big get for noise rock fans in a year of few big gets. Listen to “Vexed Life” over on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- A decade of realizing a vision of ‘black ritual chamber music’ finds musician Kakophonix ready to release the ‘Black Morning, Winter Green’ due to release on December 6th through Red Nebula. What does that mean? Well, the project HVILE I KAOS features prominent cello-centric compositions with guitar and bass accompaniment; An array of dramatic, reflective movements appear intentionally tuned towards the blackened spectrum of metal music without creating actual black metal in the process. I’ve really fallen for this song and cannot wait to hear the rest of the EP. Check it out on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Want to hear something real fucked up? Will you settle for just kinda gloomy and heavy as? No? Pretty distinct stuff, though. Check out ‘Tre’ from Danish black n’ madness band GABESTOK, this debut album from the Copenhagen duo is not just black metal, not just garage punk, and fucking surreal for its use of horror synth/keyboards on opener “Dusinmenneske”. I found this song mind-melting and savage as fuck in its ear-kicking bass/guitar tone and ominous groove. The album comes out October 25th on Strange Aeon Records and I need it: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Invictus Productions have set November 29th as the day of release for FLAMEKEEPER‘s debut, ‘We Who Light the Fire’. The project was conspired into form by Demonomancy founder Marco S. as he’d move to Stockholm, Sweden from Rome, Italy to work at Necromorbus Studios (if I’m not mistaken). So, what is it? Well, the Bathory influence is surely intentional but the sort of Romanesque pagan metal sound of “Until This Earth Takes Me” is immediately inspirational. They’ve threatened a Necromantia cover will be included and I’m already entirely sold. Check for yourself over on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- British post-black metal band FEN continue to find ways to keep the over-encumbered sub-genre compelling on ‘The Dead Light’, their sixth full-length and first for Prophecy Productions who’ll be releasing the record December 6th. I am thrilled that they’re still on a similar thread as ‘Stone and Sea’ as this highly polished sound works great for their intricate post-rock influenced songwriting. Check out “Nebula” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Robed and shredding ominous waves through scepters of the black flame they wield ATEIGGÄR release “En Blinde namens Duracotus” as the first single from their debut EP, ‘Us d’r Höll chunnt nume Zyt‘, a duo heralding the mystic path of the second wave seen through the minds that drive the Swiss black metal scene of today. Eisenwald will release the mini album on November 15th, for now you can listen to the preview song on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE For more info]
- It has been a long thirteen year silence since we’d gotten the last full-length record from California technical brutal death metal band ODIOUS MORTEM who’ll once again partner with Willowtip Records for the release of ‘Synesthesia‘ on January 20th, 2020. From what I’ve heard this sounds like fantastic tech-death that sounds relevant to the sound of ‘Cryptic Implosion’ with a somewhat progressive lean to the rhythm of it all. Definitely an anticipated listen on my end. The first single, “Ruins of the Timeworn,” is streaming on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE For more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Ragnarok, Serpens Luminis, Teitanblood, Israthoum, Flamekeeper, Hvile I Kaos, Human Agony, Cthonic Deity, Oak, Necropanther, Sacrifizer, Opposition Party, Strike Master, Salvation, Mesmur, Imprecation, CRS and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (10/12/19 – 10/18/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 10/14/19: The slinking shapes which madness has defiled.
- This week I chose to cover ten ‘freaks’ from the month of September because I’d felt like I didn’t cover enough of the more interesting records put out last month. The backlog is haunting me.
- Must hear: Drugs of Faith, Mosaic, No One Knows What the Dead Think, Wires & Lights.
- Next week (10/21) will likely cover Black Metal.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #42: Excruciation (Switzerland) 1984-1991
- Excruciation are wildly overlooked because they were always in motion, changing their style to suit a love of all things metal while coming in a time where Hellhammer, Messiah, and their ilk were experimenting in every possible direction circa 1984. There are several points that I’d recommend in the full story but the triad of ‘Last Judgement’, ‘Prophecy of Immortality’ and ‘Act of Despair’ offers the extremes in variety and tonal shift. An overlooked discography.
- Next week (10/22) will feature a look at Massacra (France), an exemplar peak death/thrash staple that’d evolve in reverse much like Sepultura would.
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were from: Sarcasm, Unaussprechlichen Kulten, Djevel, Coffin Rot, Holy Serpent, Shrine of Insanabilis, Konkhra, and Disememberment. I still need more time with Xoth, Pissed Regardless, The Bleeding, and a few others. It is the second half of the month so more black metal records will start to come into view after these last few weeks of focusing on catch-up reviews, death and doom metal. Next week will attempt to
- Djevel – Ormer Til Armer, Maane Til Hode (2019) REVIEW
- The Lone Madman – Let The Night Come (2019) REVIEW
- Slutvomit – Copulation of Cloven Hooves (2019) REVIEW
- Runemagick – Into Desolate Realms (2019) REVIEW
- Ogre – Thrice as Strong (2019) REVIEW
- Alcest – Spiritual Instinct (2019) REVIEW
- Horror God – Cursed Seeds (2019) REVIEW
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- ORANSSI PAZUZU w/Insect Ark 10/27/2019 @ Chop Suey – Seattle, WA
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (10/12/19 – 10/18/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- NECRONOMICON – Unus [Season of Mist] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- DISMEMBERMENT – Arc of Ancients [Creator-Destructor] MELODIC DEATH/THRASH
- OSSUAIRE – Dernieres Chants [Sepulchral Productions] BLACK METAL
- SANCTVS – Mors Aeterna [Sepulchral Productions] BLACK METAL
- MAESKYYRN – Interlude [Hypnotic Dirge Records] BLACK METAL
- CHAOS MOTION – Psychological Spasms Cacophony [Transcending Obscurity Records] PROGRESSIVE DEATH METAL
- KONKHRA – Alpha and the Omega [Hammerheart Records] GROOVE/DEATH METAL*
- XOTH – Interdimensional Invocations [Self-Released] TECHNICAL DEATH METAL*
- CAUSTIC CASANOVA – God How I Envy the Deaf [Magnetic Eye Records] NOISE/PROGRESSIVE ROCK
- ANUNAKKI – Immanentize The Eschaton [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIC DOOM
- LAVISHER – Drastic Shadows [Nefarious Industries] HEAVY/ART ROCK
- PISSED REGARDLESS – Imperial Cult [Creator-Destructor Records] HARDCORE
- DEPRAVER – Suffering in the Coffin / A Crippling Crush[Redefining Darkness Records] DEATHGRIND Compilation
- CENOTAPH – Epic Rites (9 Epic Tales & Death Rites) [Chaos Records] MELODIC DEATH METAL Remaster*
- MERDA MUNDI – Hatred [Malpermesita Records] BLACK METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (10/19/19 – 10/25/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ORODRUIN – Ruins of Eternity [Cruz Del Sur Music] DOOM METAL*
- BOTANIST – Ecosystem [Aural Music] AVANT-BLACK METAL
- KARYN CRISIS’ GOSPEL OF THE WITCHES – Covenant [Aural Music] AVANT-METAL
- VASTUM – Orificial Purge [20 Buck Spin] DEATH METAL*
- MILLENNIUM – A New World [Pure Steel Records] HEAVY METAL*
- HOUR OF PENANCE – Misotheism [Agonia Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- TIMELOST – [Golden Antennae] POST-NOISE GAZE*
- DENIAL OF GOD – The Hallow Mass [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK METAL*
- SAVAGE MASTER – Myth, Magic and Steel [Shadow Kingdom Records] HEAVY METAL*
- VASSAGO – Knights From Hell [Nuclear War Now! Productions] BLACK/DEATH METAL Remaster
- TYRANT GOATGALDRAKONA – Marquis of Evil [Blood Harvest Records] BLACK METAL
- SOLICITOR – Sölicitör [Gates of Hell Records] SPEED METAL
- ABRONIA – The Whole of Each Eye [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIC ROCK
- THE SCOURGE – Warrant For Execution [Seeing Red Records] HEAVY METAL
- TAIWAZ – The Univited Guest [Psykofarmaka Records] DOOM METAL
- CLERIC – Serpent Psalms [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH METAL*
- TRAGIC DEATH – Born of Dying Embers [Self-Released] DEATH METAL*
- THROATSNAPPER – About the Dead [Consouling Sounds] SLUDGE/DOOM METAL*
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.