SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- In preparation for the coming release of their ‘Death Based Illusions’ EP Mexican thrashers STRIKE MASTER have released a second single that features a surprisingly progressive thrash metal song, “A Corpseless Soul”, in the form of an animated music video. Pretty good song, nothing too complex or overthought. Still unsure of the release date of the actual EP. Watch it on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Hell’s Headbangers Records have signed Canadian wildcard trio EXPUNGED to their roster for the release of a debut coming in early 2020. It’ll be a self-titled miniLP featuring a unique take on the Boss HM-2 driven scum of the Scandinavian ancients. Who are these guys? Members of Dead Soul Alliance, Töteblut and Ice War feature in this band, including what I’m assuming is the first death metal vocal from Jo Capitalicide to date, unless I’ve missed something. So far I’d say it has that overblown and ‘processed’ sound, kinda like if you took the original mix for ‘Harmony Corruption’ and cranked a band like Decaying through it. Lots of potential for weird fuckin’ death. Check out “Disposed in Chaos” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Forge of the dark arts Eisenwald have set November 29th as the North American release date for Ohio pagan folk artist OSI AND THE JUPITER‘s third album ‘Nordlige Rúnaskog‘ on all formats. Although a distinctly American handle upon the dark folk of northern Europe isn’t a brand new idea there are very few who have such a grasp of presence achieved through atmospheric layering. What do I mean? Try “Grå Hest” on for size, and keep an eye out for reissues of their prior two records in the meantime: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- 20 Buck Spin have announced ‘The Palms Of Sorrowed Kings’ will be the title of the third full-length from Minneapolis, Minnesota melodic black metal project OBSEQUIAE. All formats will release on November 22nd and feature nearly 50 minutes of the grand medieval ‘epic black metal’ the band are known for. Their releases are worth every bit of hype they get and I’ve no doubt I’ll love this release based on what I’ve heard. First impressions? Bass tone flattens the presence of the guitars while providing warmth, roundness to the experience. The introductory tracks that kick off the album are available on Bandcamp, I’ve linked them on YouTube here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- PISSED REGARDLESS have gone dark. No, they haven’t disappeared I mean they’re straight up murderous on the preview tracks from their upcoming (October 18th) debut on Creator-Destructor. I mean damn, you can’t pull any punches when you’re using your whole body, right? They’ve changed things up on purpose here, teasing out some darker and harder stuff than you might expect after some more crossover oriented 7″ releases prior. Definitely some Converge-like edges and crunch-core beatings to be found within. Go listen to the first two tracks on Bandcamp, it’ll take like three minutes: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Blood Harvest Records bequeath a vile examination of nihilism, personal failures, and the cruelty of existence upon humanity on November 1st as the international date of unleash for VOIMATON‘s debut demo, ‘Demo 2019‘, on cassette tape format. This is just the first wind of death/doom by the trios hand! They’re working on a full-length in the meantime. Prepare yourself, glean what you can from the demo but expect no mercy from your supposed creator along the path to ruin. Is it any good? Yep, probably a big get if you like Fetid and Cianide, and these guys are pretty ace considering their time in bands like Nucleus and Narcotic. Don’t take my word for it, check out “Erudition” on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Pull the bones from the walls of the crypt, the way out will have to be dug! The air is thinning and we’re all gasping at the thought: On November 22nd Wolfsburg, Germany death metal trio CRYPTIC BROOD will once again bring their garage bursting bastion of filth unto the ear and into the brain with ‘Outcome of Obnoxious Science’. Will it be a death/doom stomper of necks, a bellowing curse of decay? Yes, well you can listen to a minute long teaser and wonder for now on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Death’s head rears its doomed cultist legendry as CIANIDE reveal the first preview track, “The Serpents Wake”, from their upcoming EP ‘Unhumanized’, due out on Hell’s Headbangers Records in November of this year! They haven’t missed a beat since the indomitable roll of ‘Gods of Death’ but this isn’t just -more- Cianide, no this is a fuckin’ doom-riffing brain bender of a song. Around the 2:30 minute mark it all collapses into a huge “Circle of the Tyrants” kinda groove and there are more lung-collapsing, throat-stomping surprises from there. Something to get god-damned excited about! Check it out on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have set December 6th for the release of Danish primitive black metal act BLOT & BOD‘s second full-length ‘Ormekongens Argelist’ on CD and LP. ‘Ligæder’ was fantastic and the association with Jordslået makes this band all the more interesting to fans of underground minimalistic black metal filth. Go check out the label’s SoundCloud for a preview track “Arg”, which fuckin’ rips: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Disharmony, Necronomicon, Northwind Wolves, Hour of Penance, Alcest, November’s Doom, Year of the Cobra, Millennium, Nachtterror, Vastum, Blackwater Holylight, Voimaton, Pissed Regardless, Ornatorpet, Cleric, Death Vanish, Xul ov Kvlten, King Hiss, Wald Krypta, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (9/14/19 – 9/20/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 9/23/19: Belaboring the idiom.
- This week I chose to cover ten general rock/anti-rock albums that rule. They’re all over the place, where the common thread is just ‘out there’ and mind-bending rock recklessness. Noise rock, garage rock, heavy psych, etc.
- Must hear: Apprentice Destroyer, Morze, Sutphin.
- Next week (9/30) will cover ten hardcore punk + related records.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #39: Pentagram (Chile) 1985-1991
- Pentagram were a bestial summoning of raw satanic thrash metal that’d quickly see the Hell to come beyond Possessed and Venom towards the formative rhythms of 80’s death metal. Why didn’t they explode across the world? Line-up shifts, changing tides in metal, and a move towards thrash with Fallout and Criminal in the early 90’s. ‘The Malefice’ 2CD version is cumulative and features a brilliant new album from 2013, buy that!
- Next week (10/01) will feature a look at hidden gods of death Sorcery (Sweden) as they rose from Morbid-esque thrash towards greater Florida death metal influences.
- Metal of the Month: September’s Finest 15 Releases (2019)
- Short thoughts and links to reviews of the best releases of September!
- Includes: Mefitis, Serpent Column, Pale Grey Lore, Ripper, Mizmor, Crypt Sermon, Algebra, Runespell, Nightfell, Netherbird, Kansakunnan Ylpeys, Cult of Luna, Horror God, Goatess, and Eternity.
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were from: Goatess, Netherbird, Sempiternal Dusk, Opeth, Borknagar, and Firebreather. For my own taste Ripper, Horror God, Algebra, Mosaic, and Bison Machine are equally important (some extend to the 30th). Definitely one of those weeks where you’ll have to make a list of interest and hope the queue for new music doesn’t get too unreasonable by the end of the year.
- Algebra – Pulse? (2019) REVIEW
- Visceral Disgorge – Slithering Evisceration (2019) REVIEW
- Funeral Mortem – Misanthropic Majesty (2019) REVIEW
- Netherbird – Into the Vast Uncharted (2019) REVIEW
- Ripper – Sensory Stagnation (2019) REVIEW
- Belenos – Argoat (2019) REVIEW
- Graveyard – Hold Back the Dawn (2019) REVIEW
- Goatess – Blood And Wine (2019) REVIEW
- Control (2019) REVIEW [Video Game]
- Watch for these (possible, not guaranteed) reviews by Monday (9/30/19) or within the next week: Morast, Horror God, Firebreather.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- ELIMINATOR FEST 2019 w/Deceased, Morbid Saint, Witch Vomit, R.I.P. & more 9/27/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ORANSSI PAZUZU w/Insect Ark 10/27/2019 @ Chop Suey – Seattle, WA
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (9/21/19 – 9/30/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- THE NEPTUNE POWER FEDERATION – Memoirs of a Rat Queen [Cruz Del Sur Music] HEAVY ROCK/METAL
- PYRAMIDO – Fem [The Sign Records] PSYCHEDELIC ROCK/DOOM
- GOATBURNER – Extreme Conditions [Time to Kill Records] DEATHGRIND
- BHLEG – Äril [Nordvis] FOLK METAL*
- DRUADAN FOREST – Dismal Spells From the Dragonrealm [Werewolf Records]* AMBIENT BLACK METAL
- ADVENT SORROW – Kali Yuga Crown [Werewolf Records] BLACK METAL
- IATT – Nomenclature [Black Lion Records] PROGRESSIVE BLACK DEATH
- VORTEX – Them Witches [Gates of Hell Records] HEAVY METAL
- WRECK-DEFY – Remnants of Pain [Inverse Records] THRASH METAL
- FREAKINGS – Rise of Violence [Self-Released] THRASH METAL
- HORROR GOD – Cursed Seeds [Lavadome] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- PATRONYMICON – Ushered Forth by Cloven Tongue [Osmose Productions] BLACK METAL
- CREEPING DEATH – Wretched Illusions [eOne] DEATH METAL/HARDCORE
- FIREBREATHER – Under a Blood Moon [RidingEasy Records] DOOM METAL*
- FISTER – Decade of Depression [Listenable Records] SLUDGE* Covers album
- MOSAIC – Cloven Fires [Eisenwald] BLACK/DARK METAL*
- NUMEN – Iluntasuna besarkatu nuen betiko [Les Acteurs De L’Ombre] BLACK METAL
- HOWLING GIANT – The Space Between Worlds [Blues Funeral Recordings] STONER METAL*
- VOICE OF RUIN – Acheron [Tenacity Music] MELODIC DEATH
- OPETH – In Cauda Venenum [Nuclear Blast] PROGRESSIVE ROCK*
- VINTERSEA – Illuminated [M-Theory Audio] PROGRESSIVE METAL
- HIGH COMMAND – Beyond the Wall of Desolation [Southern Lord] CROSSOVER THRASH*
- BISON MACHINE – Sea of Titan [Small Stone Recordings] FUZZ ROCK*
- FVNERAL FVKK – Carnal Confessions [Self-Released] EPIC DOOM METAL*
- AGGRAVATOR – Aggravator [Unspeakable Axe Records] DEATH/THRASH*
UPCOMING RELEASES (10/01/19 – 10/07/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- AHRET DEV – Hellish [Godz ov War Productions] DEATH METAL Reissue
- WOMIT ANGEL – Under Sadistic Pressure [Reaper Metal Productions] METALPUNK
- BEASTLURKER – Sanguine Elixir of Psychotropic Divination [Godz ov War Productions] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- HELL’S CORONATION – Ritual Chalice of Hateful Blood [Godz ov War Productions] BLACK/DOOM METAL
- ESOGENESI – Esogenesi [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH/DOOM METAL
- SLUTVOMIT – Copulation of Cloven Hooves [Invictus Productions] BLACK/THRASH METAL*
- EHLDER – Nordabetraktelse [Nordvis Produktion] PAGAN BLACK METAL*
- EXHUMED – Horror [Relapse Records] DEATHGRIND
- TOXIC HOLOCAUST – Primal Future: 2019 [eOne] BLACKENED THRASH/HEAVY METAL*
- IN MOURNING – Garden of Storms [Agonia Records] PROGRESSIVE MELODIC DEATH/DOOM*
- MAIEUTISTE – Veritas [Les Acteurs De L’Ombre Productions] BLACK METAL*
- DYSRYTHMIA – Terminal Threshold [Translation Loss Records] PROGRESSIVE METAL
- CARCINOID – Metastatic Declination [Memento Mori/Blood Harvest] DEATH METAL*
- XUL OV KVLTEN – Entropic Increase From the Omega Aeon [ATMF] BLACK/DEATH METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
If you appreciate what you've read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.