SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- It wasn’t all that long ago that NOVEMBERS DOOM were free agents looking for the right home and they’ve found an excellent fit with Prophecy Productions in celebration of their 30th year as a notable melodic death/doom metal band and the coming release of their eleventh full-length ‘Nephilim Grove‘ which’ll be out November 1st. I’ve felt like the band have made great choices since ‘Aphotic’ back in 2011, reincorporating their death metal influences in appropriate amounts. If you’ve been excited about upcoming Insomnium, Opeth, and In Mourning releases I’m sure this is your jam. Two singles are available in tandem, I’ve linked the title track here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Nešťastie ťa nauči modliť sa, and prayer soon leads to the burning of innocents by the hand of the Catholic church on ‘Krupinské ohne (The Fires of Krupina)’ the upcoming full-length by first wave black/heavy metal practitioners of the Slovakian mystic arts MALOKARPATAN who enter the studio in October to achieve their third full-length slated for release on March 20th, 2020 through Invictus Productions/AJNA Offensive. Check out their killer split with Demon’s Gate in the meantime, and follow them on social media to keep up to date: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Eisenwald have set November 15th for the unleashing of KRATER‘s fourth full-length, ‘Venenare’, upon the North American public. A wrathful poisoning of meta-evolved second wave reconnaissance, all will perish within moments of imbibing this German black metal bands caustic brew. Study them like a hawk afar, feast upon the bones and entrails when the previews drop, for now follow them and their label on Facebook: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Spanish blood freaked old school death metal quartet UNDEAD have released a video for “Haunted by Hate”, the first single from their debut full-length ‘Existential Horror’ which is coming out late October on the always excellent Godz Ov War Productions. Their sound isn’t gigantic on this track but it is a pretty memorable song with a nasty 1990 Stockholm death metal feeling: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- One of the most savagely brutal albums originally released on the hallowed No Fashion Records label VASSAGO‘s war metallic blackened death brutalizer ‘Knights From Hell‘ is a lesson in unrepentant murderous rage applied with a shock of insidious adrenaline. This isn’t so unheard of in 1999 but it will absolutely grip you once you hear it. Now is the best time to experience this Swedish band’s sole LP as Nuclear War Now! Productions have committed to a vinyl LP version (previously only on CD) set to release on October 19th. Let the storm of hell overtake you, let the “Anal Fistfuck” commence! Disintegrate upon firing up the whole thing now on the label’s bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Chilean old school bone-burning, crypt annihilating death metal band COFFIN CURSE hammer down the gauntlet en serio as they vault off of their string of fantastic demos, splits and EPs in solidifying an alliance with death’s left hand pathologists Memento Mori for the coming waves of immortal death within their debut full-length set to release on January 27th, 2020. The signing and the release date are the big news here but the details are thin otherwise. Expect some hard-punching grimy classic-minded death metal from this fine duo. In the meantime, catch up with their work on Bandcamp. Their split with Violent Scum rules!: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Severed at the neck and scraped of all facial flesh the naked horror of Hell’s Headbangers Records artist black/heavy metal magisters VAULTWRAITH unveils its sinister skull on October 31st. ‘Light the Candle In Honour of Devils’ is a solid step beyond their 2017 debut, capitalizing on the classic 80’s horror and epic metal atmospherics while citing the works of King Diamond and Candlemass along the way surely primes some excitement heading towards the release date. Not sure what I mean? Check out the second single (“Reborn in Charnel Infamy”) from the album on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Hey, we all thought LORD MANTIS was over following the tragic suicide of drummer Bill Bumgardner three years ago. They did eventually decide to reform the band with the drummer of Contrarian and head brain for Abigail Williams taking up empty seats. Not sure what to expect? Well, good news, they’ve released a first single from ‘Universal Death Church’ their fourth album due out on Profound Lore Records on November 22nd. It is no huge departure from the ‘Perversor’ days judging by this first track, definitely some atmospheric sludge kicks within the song that hint at post-metal but it all sounds just as harsh and diabolical as any of their past work. Check out the song, “Damocles Falls”, on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Perhaps one of the most hotly anticipated death metal albums of the year has finally being unveiled of its secrets! BLOOD INCANTATION have rocketed far beyond expectations in signing to Century Media (in partnership with Dark Descent Records) and announcing ‘Hidden History of the Human Race’ as their second full-length due out on November 22nd. To top all of this great news off the band will be touring with perhaps the greatest death metal band of all time, Immolation, on an upcoming North American tour. I’ll be there, and will happily slap the face of anyone complaining about the bands use of 70’s sci-fi artwork. Shut up, nerd. The press release makes a point of attributing ‘fretless bass’ in the notes and it looks like there are four songs total on this full-length so, prepare for something stellarly. Follow the band on Facebook to keep up with the new digs: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Australian blackened heavy metal destroyers MONGREL’S CROSS have announced their next full-length, ‘Arcana, Scrying and Revelation’, due out in 2020 will feature Absu drummer/vocalist Proscriptor as the vocalist for the project. As a longtime supporter of both bands I couldn’t be more ecstatic at the prospect of this union. The aim is for a Spring/Summer release once again on Hell’s Headbangers Records. Exciting news! Follow the band on Facebook for further details: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Netherlands based melodic death/doom metal band OFFICIUM TRISTE return after a six year hiatus with ‘The Death of Gaia’, through Transcending Obscurity Records and due out on December 13th. Few bands in this style have remains so steadfast to their stylistic vision though the band are generally more atmospheric, mournful and subdued on this album based on previews. Check it out for yourself on YouTube with a clip for the first single “World in Flames”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Blut Aus Nord, Acathexis, Aggressive Perfector, Officium Triste, Larvae, Marras, Crepuscle, Clouds Taste Satanic, Serpens Luminis, Wolves Like Us, Krater, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (9/14/19 – 9/20/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 9/16/19: Crawl in the bleeding froth of infinite shores.
- This week I chose to cover ten black metal albums that rule. They’re all pretty damned good, so listen to them all.
- Must hear: Atanas, Ancestral Shadows, Olkoth.
- Next week (9/23) will cover some noise rock, noise punk, garage rock, etc.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #38: Hellwitch (United States) 1984-1994
- Hellwitch began as a duo doing home recordings influenced by Bay Area thrash and heavier speed metal in 1984 but by 1994 they were on the cusp of technical death metal superiority. Why didn’t they explode across the world? Labels fucked them, the line-up couldn’t hold onto key members, and generally speaking they’d just been fucked with too much. Easily one of my favorite all time metal bands.
- Next week (9/24) will feature a look at true gods of death Pentagram (Chile).
- On the Deleterious Nature of Humanity and the Necessity of Independence with Theophonos of Serpent Column (2019) INTERVIEW
- Another annual release from this fine avant-progressive black metal project and another interview/review round on my end. I really appreciated the frankness he’d expressed in the interview as well as the insight into such a dense and imposing recording.
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were from: Cult of Luna, Monolord, Morast, Ereb Altor, Sempiternal Dusk, Graveyard and Mefitis. I’ll have to catch up with some of these over the weekend. I will hopefully have a review for Goatess‘ record (out next week) by midnight tonight. The big record of the day is Mefitis for my tastes, a truly stunning record.
- Mefitis – Emberdawn (2019) REVIEW
- Sempiternal Dusk – Cenotaph of Defectuous Creation (2019) REVIEW
- Nex Carnis – Black Eternity [Vinyl] (2019) REVIEW
- Cemetery Lights – The Underworld (2019) REVIEW
- Sepsis – To Make Rotten (2019) REVIEW
- Phobophilic – Undimensioned Identities [Cassette] (2019) REVIEW
- Defenders of the Faith: The Heavy Metal Photography of Peter Beste (2019) REVIEW [Book]
- Blasphemous (2019) REVIEW [Video Game]
- Watch for these (possible, not guaranteed) reviews by Monday (9/23/19) or within the next week: Belenos, Graveyard, Ereb Altor.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- VOIVOD & REVOCATION w/Skeletal Remains 9/25/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ELIMINATOR FEST 2019 w/Deceased, Morbid Saint, Witch Vomit, R.I.P. & more 9/27/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ORANSSI PAZUZU w/Insect Ark 10/27/2019 @ Chop Suey – Seattle, WA
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (9/14/19 – 9/20/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- NUPTA CADAVERA – Nupta Cadavera [Nuclear War Now! Productions] BLACK METAL
- GRABUNHOLD – Unter dem Banner der Toten [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- GHOST:HELLO – The Sound of Color in Space [Self-Released] STONER ROCK
- CULT OF SORROW – Invocation of the Lucifer [Black Doomba Records] DOOM METAL
- NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE DEAD THINK – s/t [Willowtip Records] GRINDCORE*
- ANCIENT MOON – Benedictus diabolica, Gloria Patri [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- ARCTOS – Beyond the Grasp of Mortal Hands [Northern Silence Productions] ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL
- LOST ORB – Low Ebb’s Lament [Giganto Records] STONER METAL
- ENGULF – Transcend [Everlasting Spew Records] DEATH METAL*
- MORAST – Il Nostro Silenzio [Totenmusik / Ván Records] BLACK METAL*
- MORBUS GRAVE – Awakening of the Grave/Throne of Disgust [Chaos Records] DEATH METAL*
- GRAVEYARD – Hold Back the Dawn [War Anthem Records] DEATH METAL*
- BELENOS – Argoat [Les Acteurs De L’Ombre/Northern Silence] PAGAN BLACK METAL*
- EREB ALTOR – Järtecken [Hammerheart Records] VIKING/FOLK/BLACK METAL*
- O SAMULI A – Condition Yellow [Svart Records] ELECTRO
- ODDFELLAS – OddFellas [Pavement Music] ALT/PSYCH ROCK
- DEAD HIPPIES – Resister [Atypeek Music] ELECTRO-ROCK
- DANIELE BRUSASCHETTO – Flying Stag [Self-Released/Various] PROG METAL
- EXHORDER – Mourn the Southern Skies [Nuclear Blast] GROOVE/ALT-METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (9/21/19 – 9/30/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- THE NEPTUNE POWER FEDERATION – Memoirs of a Rat Queen [Cruz Del Sur Music] HEAVY ROCK/METAL
- PYRAMIDO – Fem [The Sign Records] PSYCHEDELIC ROCK/DOOM
- GOATBURNER – Extreme Conditions [Time to Kill Records] DEATHGRIND
- BHLEG – Äril [Nordvis] FOLK METAL*
- DRUADAN FOREST – Dismal Spells From the Dragonrealm [Werewolf Records]* AMBIENT BLACK METAL
- ADVENT SORROW – Kali Yuga Crown [Werewolf Records] BLACK METAL
- IATT – Nomenclature [Black Lion Records] PROGRESSIVE BLACK DEATH
- VORTEX – Them Witches [Gates of Hell Records] HEAVY METAL
- WRECK-DEFY – Remnants of Pain [Inverse Records] THRASH METAL
- FREAKINGS – Rise of Violence [Self-Released] THRASH METAL
- HORROR GOD – Cursed Seeds [Lavadome] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- PATRONYMICON – Ushered Forth by Cloven Tongue [Osmose Productions] BLACK METAL
- NETHERBIRD – Into the Vast Uncharted [Eisenwald] MELODIC BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- CREEPING DEATH – Wretched Illusions [eOne Heavys] DEATH METAL/HARDCORE*
- FIREBREATHER – Under a Blood Moon [RidingEasy Records] DOOM METAL*
- FISTER – Decade of Depression [Listenable Records] SLUDGE*
- MOSAIC – Cloven Fires [Eisenwald] BLACK/DARK METAL*
- NUMEN – Iluntasuna besarkatu nuen betiko [Les Acteurs De L’Ombre] BLACK METAL
- WEDNESDAY 13 – Necrophaze [Nuclear Blast] HORROR PUNK
- HOWLING GIANT – The Space Between Worlds [Blues Funeral Recordings] STONER METAL*
- VOICE OF RUIN – Acheron [Tenacity Music] MELODIC DEATH
- OPETH – In Cauda Venenum [Nuclear Blast] PROGRESSIVE ROCK/METAL*
- VINTERSEA – Illuminated [M-Theory Audio] PROGRESSIVE METAL
- HIGH COMMAND – Beyond the Wall of Desolation [Southern Lord] CROSSOVER THRASH*
- BISON MACHINE – Sea of Titan [Small Stone Recordings] FUZZ ROCK*
- FVNERAL FVKK – Carnal Confessions [Self-Released] EPIC DOOM METAL*
- RIPPER – Sensory Stagnation [Unspeakable Axe Records] DEATH/THRASH*
- ALGEBRA – Pulse? [Unspeakable Axe Records] THRASH METAL*
- AGGRAVATOR – Aggravator [Unspeakable Axe Records] DEATH/THRASH*
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
If you appreciate what you've read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.