SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Get your “Oh moiii gaaahd” pucker-face ready, we’re kicking things off with a ruddy London, England based noise rock/hardcore punk band named MUSCLE VEST who’re green in terms of forming in the middle of 2018 but their first single ‘That’ll Do, Pig”/”Pinch Me” shows they’ve got their shit together in terms of writing songs you’re gonna remember. Get your damn lungs, heart, hide over to YouTube for “That’ll Do, Pig”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- I’d not been keeping up with HOUR OF PENANCE‘s upcoming full-length on Agonia Records ’til now but it seems as if ‘Misotheism’ is going to be pretty damn brutal based off of this first single “Flames of Merciless Gods”. I kinda fell off of the band after ‘Sedition’ and it is nice to click back into gear with this new track, up on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Ordo MCM Records has been announced as the home for the newly entered second era for uniquely rhythmic Swedish death/doom metal band Heavydeath who’ve released some of my favorite records of the last decade. This includes a name change for the project, DEN TUNGA DÖDEN and a recording session for the first album under this name will commence during Winter of this year. Something exciting for the Runemagick fanatics among us! They’ve a Facebook and website up for now, stay tuned: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Rochester, New York doom metal band ORODRUIN have finally hit the home stretch in terms of the 16 years mark since ‘Epicurean Mass’ and their ‘comeback’ moment ‘Ruins of Eternity’ which releases October 25th on Cruz Del Sur Music. One of the more promising bands to come from the newer, heavier face of doom post-2000 one can begin to imagine the baggage that’ll be lifted by the return. Though you’ve had a decade and a half to enjoy Gallo‘s Blizaro in the meantime. I’ve been a vocal fan of this a band since their first release and couldn’t be more excited for a continuation of their road less traveled: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Zut alors! I’d not only made the mistake of overlooking Montreal, Quebecois black metal act OSSUAIRE‘s debut full-length ‘Premiers Chants’ earlier this year but now they’ve announced ‘Derniers Chants’, the second half of this project themed around the downfall of Christianity. All perfectly up my wheelhouse. I’ll be grabbing both at once most likely, Pre-orders are up on Sepulchral Productions‘ website who’ll release the record on October 15th: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Levelled, razed, and brought down below sea level by their dragging heft, we are gifted a second single from Portland, Oregon death/doom monstrosities MORTIFERUM by the name of “Funereal Hallucinations”. It only pains the eternal wait for the October 11th release date of their hugely anticipated debut on Profound Lore, ‘Disgorged From Psychotic Depths’. Demolish me, so that I may live crumbled among the ruins they leave behind!: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- pre-(and post-)Khold Norwegian black metal band TULUS have announced their partnership with Soulseller Records for the re-release of their third full-length ‘Evil 1999’ on November 15th and they’re also in the midst of a new album aiming for a March/April release in 2020. The intent is raw and primitive early Norwegian black metal, from which they’d spawned back in 1991. Follow the band on Facebook to keep up with developments: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- For their fifth full-length since forming in 1999 Portland, Maine doom metal/heavy rock trio OGRE are steady-rocking their way through seven life-affirming proto-doom/heavy rock songs in the spirit of doomed 70’s heavy rock. Par for the course with this fantastic band who’d returned from the dead around 2012– You’ve got to hear their ‘Seven Hells’ album from 2006 to understand why I’m a fan ’til death! Though, ‘Thrice As Strong’ (Out October 25th from our beloved Cruz Del Sur Music) might convince you all the same. Try out the soulfully garage-doomed first single “The Future” and feel the weight of the world as intended: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- New York instrumental progressive metal trio DYSRYTHMIA enter their twentieth anniversary year with a cumulative musical statement, a summation of their evolution and oeuvre as well as all signs pointing towards the end of men on Earth. ‘Terminal Threshold’ lands October 4th on Translation Loss Records. Fantastic artwork and I’ve been promised thrashing, so I’m looking forward to it. Keep your ears peeled for preview songs and grab a pre-order from Translation Loss: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Aeternitas Tenebrarum Music Foundation have set October 4th for the release of ‘Entropic Increase From the Omega Aeon’ from XUL OV KVLTEN. I’ll be honest here, I didn’t even read half of those words because I was busy staring at the incredibly rich color used in the painterly covert art for this record. They’re a black/death metal band from Chile a noisome, brutal barreling bolt of blackened chaos. Pre-orders are up for now, preview track is on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- He’s laughing at us, laughing at us all in his finest hour as the last grains of sand descend the hourglass! Death is laughing in the face of humanity, we’ve done his work for him, anyhow. In the meantime War Anthem Records have announced they’ll be serving as the vessel for timeless German death metal ravagers REVEL IN FLESH who’ll be diabolically summoning their fifth full-length this December under the banner of ‘The Hour of the Avenger’. They’ll drop a video single here sooner or later: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Easily one of the hardest bands to search for online unless you’ve got the album name in hand, Minneapolis, Minnesota noise rock trio BUILDINGS have announced their second venture with the ever-banging Gilead Media for the release of their fourth album ‘Negative Sound’ on November 22nd. If you missed their big, bold bungling beater ‘You Are Not One of Us’ back in 2017, catch up for now and pre-order this even bigger, more nasty follow-up: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Tentacular black/death thigh ticklers XOTH exit sector Z to transmit their shred-thick roaring follow up to ‘Invasion of the Tentacube’, to be self-released on October 18th. ‘Interdimensional Invocations’ promises to be a bit of salvation for the overly serious technical death crowd as they mix a coy sense of humor with brutally serious Zyklon-meets-Skeletonwitch musicianship. Check out “Casting the Sigil” on YouTube and see what you think: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Four years and countless rituals later, W.T.C. Productions set October 17th as the day of dark freeing, whence returns our loyalties to the SHRINE OF INSANABILIS‘ second coming. Occult blackened hierarchies unfurl as leaden cloaks a thousand yards long splay within the cosmic velour of ‘Vast Vortex Litanies’, a dissonant mastery. Conjure thy daimon of ruin by your own hand, via YouTube with this preview track “Vertex” and never realign!: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Me Saco Un Ojo have announced November 14th as the day it all ends, the 12″ vinyl version of ‘Holocaust of Terrestrial Empires’ will finally seed the armageddon we are all so hungrily awaiting. Gorge yourself with the true pleasure that death brings with this split between Los Angeles death squad SWAMPBEAST and Kentucky horror gods VOID TERROR. Not sure who the hell they are? Will you patiently await the day of reckoning or, claw at the walls like vermin!: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Orodruin, Mortiferum, Kadavar, Denial of God, Buildings, Fvneral Fvkk, Ossuaire, Ogre, Downcross, Echo, Sunset Eyes, Darvulia, Black Beast, Shrine of Insanabilis, Quayde Lahue, Sanctvs, Fuil Na Seanchoille, Apokalyptic Raids, Cathari, Caustic Casanova, Dysrythmia, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (9/07/19 – 9/13/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 9/10/19: Ekziston midis trupave qiellorë.
- This week I chose to cover ten albums that focus on atmospheric values above all else and that’ve impressed me so far this year.
- Must hear: Pinkish Black, Arkhaaik, Latitudes.
- Next week (9/16) will cover either some noise rock, noise punk, garage rock, etc.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #37: Xecutioner (United States) 1984-1988
- Obituary began as a speed metal band in 1984 and though their first demo was surely heavy in 1985 the shift to extreme metal (basically death thrash) came with their 1986 demo. How important is the stuff that happened between 1987-1989 before the name change and ‘Slowly We Rot’, well, I think the gem here might be their 1987 demo which was almost regressive at the time. The context those first five years of Obituary‘s career in the underground is a bit of a void within public knowledge since we’ve never gotten a true demo collection from the band.
- Next week (9/17) will feature a look at basically my favorite death/thrash band next to Insanity, Florida’s wailing gods Hellwitch.
- After that it’ll be Pentagram (Chile) and perhaps Sorcery (Sweden) in the coming weeks.
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were from: Crypt Sermon, Atlantean Kodex, Nightfell, Visceral Disgorge, Serpent Column, and Phobophilic‘s demo. The debut from Asagraum has been highly underrated.
- Hagzissa – They Ride Along (2019) REVIEW
- Possessor – Gravelands (2019) REVIEW
- Slaughtbbath – Alchemical Warfare (2019) REVIEW
- Serpent Column – Mirror in Darkness (2019) REVIEW
- Mgła – Age of Excuse (2019) REVIEW
- Nightfell – A Sanity Deranged (2019) REVIEW
- Crypt Sermon – The Ruins of Fading Light (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these (possible, not guaranteed) reviews by Monday (9/16/19) or within the next week: Kansakunnan Ylpeys, Visceral Disgorge, Cemetery Lights.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- ACID KING w/Wizard Rifle, Warish 9/21/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- VOIVOD & REVOCATION w/Skeletal Remains 9/25/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ELIMINATOR FEST 2019 w/Deceased, Morbid Saint, Witch Vomit, R.I.P. & more 9/27/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ORANSSI PAZUZU w/Insect Ark 10/27/2019 @ Chop Suey – Seattle, WA
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (9/07/19 – 9/13/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- SLUTAVVERKNING – Arbetets sorgemusik – Del II [Suicide Records] NOISE ROCK/JAZZ PUNK
- UFOMAMMUT – ‘XX’ [Supernatural Cat Records] PSYCH/SLUDGE-DOOM
- RAVENTALE – Morphine Dead Gardens [Ashen Dominion] FUNERAL DOOM
- DIKASTERION – Stavelot 1597 / Rome 897 [Amor Fati Productions] BLACK METAL
- GREVIA – Misophonic [Lethal Scissor] DEATHGRIND
- COME BACK FROM THE DEAD – The Rise of the Blind Ones [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH METAL
- DEAD NEANDERTHALS – Ghosts [Utech Records] EXPERIMENTAL
- ASAGRAUM – Dawn of Infinite Fire [Edged Circle Productions] BLACK METAL*
- WALLOWING – Planet Loss [The Sludgelord Records] BLACKENED SLUDGE
- GRANDE ROYALE – Take It Easy [The Sign Records] HEAVY ROCK
- VISCERAL DISGORGE – Slithering Evisceration [Agonia Records] BRUTAL DEATH METAL*
- FORMICARIUS – Rending the Veil of Flesh [Schwarzdorn] BLACK METAL
- MITHRIDATIC – Tetanos Mystique [XenoKorp] DEATH METAL
- DOLD VORDE ENDS NAVN – Gjengangere i hjertets mørke [Soulseller Records] BLACK METAL*
- ETERNITY – To Become the Great Beast [Soulseller Records] BLACK METAL*
- KANSAKUNNAN YLPEYS – Kansakunnan ylpeys [Ektro Records] NOISE ROCK*
- GHASTLY SOUND – Have a Nice Day [Magnetic Eye Records] SLUDGE/ALT-CORE
- VARIOUS ARTISTS – ‘Brutal Africa – The Heavy Metal Cowboys of Botswana’ [Svart Records] COMPILATION
- VOID KING – Barren Dominion [Off The Record] DOOM METAL*
- WOUNDVAC – The Road Ahead [Corpse Flower Records] DEATHGRIND
- WIRES & LIGHTS – A Chasm Here and Now [Oblivion] POST-PUNK*
- COCKROACH CLAN – Songs About Blunt Knives and Deep Love [Fysisk Format] PUNK
- TOXIKULL – Cursed and Punished [Metal on Metal Records] HEAVY/SPEED METAL
- V – Led Into Exile [Suicide Records] STONER ROCK
- WARISH – Down in Flames [RidingEasy Records] STONER ROCK/GARAGE PUNK*
- MOURN THE LIGHT/OXBLOOD FORGE – Split [Self-Released] DOOM METAL
- WIGRID – Entfremdungsmoment [Bleeding Heard Nihilist] BLACK METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (9/14/19 – 9/20/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- NUPTA CADAVERA – Nupta Cadavera [Nuclear War Now! Productions] BLACK METAL
- GRABUNHOLD – Unter dem Banner der Toten [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- GHOST:HELLO – The Sound of Color in Space [Self-Released] STONER ROCK
- CULT OF SORROW – Invocation of the Lucifer [Black Doomba Records] DOOM METAL
- NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE DEAD THINK – s/t [Willowtip Records] GRINDCORE*
- ANCIENT MOON – Benedictus diabolica, Gloria Patri [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- ARCTOS – Beyond the Grasp of Mortal Hands [Northern Silence Productions] ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL
- LOST ORB – Low Ebb’s Lament [Giganto Records] STONER METAL
- ENGULF – Transcend [Everlasting Spew Records] DEATH METAL*
- MORAST – Il Nostro Silenzio [Totenmusik / Ván Records] BLACK METAL
- MEFITIS – Emberdawn [Chaos Records] MELODIC BLACK/DEATH METAL
- MORBUS GRAVE – Awakening of the Grave/Throne of Disgust [Chaos Records] DEATH METAL*
- GRAVEYARD – Hold Back the Dawn [War Anthem Records] DEATH METAL*
- BELENOS – Argoat [Les Acteurs De L’Ombre/Northern Silence] PAGAN BLACK METAL*
- EREB ALTOR – Järtecken [Hammerheart Records] VIKING/FOLK/BLACK METAL*
- O SAMULI A – Condition Yellow [Svart Records] ELECTRO
- ODDFELLAS – OddFellas [Pavement Music] ALT/PSYCH ROCK
- DEAD HIPPIES – Resister [Atypeek Music] ELECTRO-ROCK
- DANIELE BRUSASCHETTO – Flying Stag [Self-Released/Various] PROG METAL
- EXHORDER – Mourn the Southern Skies [Nuclear Blast] GROOVE/ALT-METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support GrizzlyButts’ goals:</strong>
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.