SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Squelching on high and putting all of their weight into a long overdue downward thrust, Oakland death metal band VASTUM clips their sewn shut mouths free and returns with ‘Orificial Purge‘. Douche away the residue of that ol’ grinder ‘Hole Below’ and steel yourself for this October 25th release through the ever-busy 20 Buck Spin who’re out banner-yearing their already banner-assed 2018 with records like this. Vastum are still heavy as hell, mid-paced, virile, fertile, and show no signs of being stretched thin between their many complimentary death metal projects they inhabit. Great album art, too. Need proof this thing exists? “Reveries In Autophagia” is it: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Grab your cloaks, light your black candles, make sure your edibles are kicking in and delight in the revelation of “Closed Gate” the second single from Swedish stoner doom metal trio FIREBREATHER‘s impending debut on RidingEasy Records. ‘Under a Blood Moon‘ looks to usher in a matured and distinct sound from a band who’ve been incessantly compared to High on Fire since their self-titled debut released in late 2017. They’ve managed some distinction while still keeping the grooves coming hot. Looking forward to reviewing this one! YouTube‘s the place to check out the stellar 9 minute song: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Ten thousand dollars, a full seven thousand beyond their goal and still literally only a week into their Kickstarter campaign GHOUL‘s chief chunk-blower Ross Sewage has proposed a comic book horror anthology entitled Ghoul: Born to Kill and hell, it’s for sure happening. Even if comics aren’t for you, you’ll have to admit that campaign is slick, well thought out, and full of rewards that are entirely worthy. Here’s hoping it gets up to $15,000. Don’t know who Ghoul are? lol: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The first love of any solitary, fringe-seeking man is not just nature but the land that’d welcome him, challenge him, and empower his body and mind. In this sense the symphonically driven pagan metal of Ukrainian band PAGANLAND often involves a certain worship, a love of the very land they inhabit. A common theme but an enduring vision for the band who’ve released the first single from their Fall/Winter planned full-length ‘Galizier’, “In the Heart Forever”. Is it the most impressive or original song ever written, no, but a quick listen should at least make visible the passionate Thyrfing-esque pulse of the band.: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Transcending Obscurity Records have announced they’ll be handling the first official release from NOX IRAE, a French death/thrash metal band from musicians formerly affiliated with Affliction Gate and Catacomb. They more or less embody that Bolt Thrower-esque chunk of Affliction Gate but slivers of the Lovecraftian depths of Catacomb are there with some patience. Decent song, check out “All is Over” on YouTube and mark November 15th as the release date: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Fear her stalking whip and impossible cunning! ‘The Space Between Worlds‘ arrives September 27th through Blues Funeral Recordings as a narrative penned by HOWLING GIANT following a cosmic huntress huntress who trips the light fantastic between infinite worlds created by the dreams of men! What does she hunt? Whatever dude, buy the record! Check out “Comet Rider” in the meantime, solid prog-stoner vibe and a pretty catchy tune: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Heavy psychedelic doom band OCEAN CHIEF have been announced as the latest signing over at Argonauta Records. Known for their extended compositions, heady atmospherics, and well… Some pretty long waits in between records, these Swedes are always well worth the wait so, keep that in mind when anticipating their 2020 full-length. Loved ‘Universums Hard’ so this is high on my list of grabs next year. : [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Lamech Records have announced samhain (October 31st) point of release for LVX CAELIS third full-length album and first since 2015. ‘Maher Shalal Hash Baz‘ is a spiritually ancient expression of ‘old school’ black metal described as a “shimmering cavern of haunting splendor…” and I couldn’t agree more. A true outlier among the Santiago, Chile black metal scene, I am always curious to see what this band does next as it’ll be detailed, darkly occult, and orthodox in expression: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Philadelphia psychedelic rock/shoegaze act TIMELOST insist that you take several steps outside of yourself, take a good look at the husk and brainstorm its nourishment by way of electric LSD impairment. Alternately, soak in and tab up close with their debut album ‘Don’t Remember Me For This‘. They’ve released a video for the first single “Lyseric Days” so, if you don’t mind the vocalist lookin’ right at you while you’re vibin’ there is an immense song there. Who cares eh, macho metal bro? Well damn, hey members of Woe are in there, Set & Setting too! Watch the video at least twice on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- From snaking flames to curling smoke the ritual is perfected and a diabolic emptiness created. ‘Novus Lux Dominus‘ we incant ’til October 31st parts the black oceans that isolate The Sinister Flame who present the debut from ORTHODOXY on all formats. See the smoking skull, be stricken by the beating drums, let the occult mastery wash over the ‘self’ and splice the mind free of all holiness. I worship thee, storm of riff and death’s racing heartbeat. I sacrifice unto thee, all darkness, so that I may become one with the nothing beyond. Swallow the “Flame of Primordial Essence” and recast the ‘self’: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Nyon, Switzerland based melodic death metal group VOICE OF RUIN have released the second single from ‘Acheron’, their third full-length due out September 27 through Tenacity Music. This is what I’d call ‘modern’ melodic death metal with all of the stadium-pleasing bombast of ‘fest metal’ bands today. “Mass Grave” is a heavy enough song which focuses more on their groove metal influences rather than the melodic death side of things. I’ll say I’m tentatively interested to hear the whole thing: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Northern Irish epic heavy metal band TERMINUS have announced signing with Cruz Del Sur Music, a natural fit for a label well-stocked by epic heavy/doom compatriots of the band. Alongside this announcement came the reveal of ‘A Single Point of Light’ the bands upcoming second full-length due out this November. I’m curious to see if they’ll be doing any touring since they’d announced no more live shows about a year ago. Keep up to date on their Facebook: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Unassprechlichen Kulten, Lux Caelis, Hell’s Coronation, Beastlurker, Vultur, Orthodoxy, Ectoplasma, Archangel A.D., Timelost, Murder Van, Burier, Singularity, Shadcrown, Mata, Nox Irae, Howling Giant, Goatburner, Thrashfire, Savage Master, Slow, Slutavverkning, The Lone Madman, Karyn Crisis’ Gospel of the Witches, Sect, Alltar, Voice of Ruin and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (8/24/19 – 8/30/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 8/26/19: Escape thee ever-engulfing nullity.
- This week I chose to cover ten requests from independent bands of various styles though this list is predominantly black metal.
- Must hear: Reputdeath, Tyrannus, Dizziness.
- Next week (9/02) will be 10 reissues/remasters worth having!
- Thrash ‘Til Death #35: Poison (Germany) 1982-1993
- Poison are one of the finest examples of pure extreme metal being created at its most primitive and rapacious state This south German band didn’t necessarily reinvent the wheel but rather stood shoulder to shoulder with Hellhammer, Death, Slaughter, Messiah and the ilk in creation of Amebix-esque dirges, blast-beaten death/thrash, and an altogether ripping example of early death metal. They kept up with the extremity of the times but the technical ability of the band kept them from making it past the first wave of brutal thrash and death/thrash in late 80’s Europe. The demos are rough but the songwriting is class and each tape is 30-40 minutes! Test your steel, then grab ‘Into the Abyss’ because it is goddamned classic.
- Next week (9/03) will feature a look at a band that are completely unknown outside of the Swedish thrash underground, Dead End. Their demos are well worth remembering. After that it’ll be Xecutioner (pre-Obituary), Hellwitch, and Pentagram (Chile) in the coming weeks.
- Metal of the Month: August’s Finest 15 Releases (2019)
- August had initially appeared to be packed with great thrash metal releases but I found few of them stuck with me as the month dragged on. I also spent a fair amount of time catching up with July releases and other things I missed in the first 6-7 months of the year. I wouldn’t say it’d been a month of writer’s block, just dissatisfaction with music that had nothing to say or lacked any powerful artistic panache of their own the exceptions are included on this list. Please don’t message me asking about Tool, Slipknot, KsE etc. you’re in the wrong woods, little lamb.
- Included: Wizard Rifle, Excuse, Cerebral Rot, Isole, Bastard Grave, Synteleia, Witch Vomit, Here Lies Man, Colored Moth, Abysmal Lord, Hagzissa, Besvärjelsen, Geistaz’ika, Darkened, Nothingness.
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were from: Synteleia, Witch Vomit, Colored Moth, Crimson Moon, and Wizard Rifle. I’m still mulling over Sorcery and Entombed A.D. but so far I’d say Sorcery is going to be a moderately high recommendation. September is packed with great releases every week, strap in!
- Isole – Dystopia (2019) REVIEW
- Darkened – Into the Blackness (2019) REVIEW
- Abysmalist – Reflections of Horror (2019) REVIEW
- Greve – Nidingsdåd utav det Uråldriga (2019) REVIEW
- Temple of Dread – Blood Craving Mantras (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these (possible, not guaranteed) reviews by Monday (9/02/19) or within the next week: Sorcery, Antichrist Siege Machine, Hagzissa, Colored Moth.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- ACID KING w/Wizard Rifle, Warish 9/21/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- VOIVOD & REVOCATION w/Skeletal Remains 9/25/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ELIMINATOR FEST 2019 w/Deceased, Morbid Saint, Witch Vomit, R.I.P. & more 9/27/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ORANSSI PAZUZU w/Insect Ark 10/27/2019 @ Chop Suey – Seattle, WA
- KING DIAMOND w/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats @ The Paramount 11/25/19
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/19 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (8/24/19 – 8/30/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MUTILATRED – Ingested Filth [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH METAL
- CRIMSON MOON – Mors Vincit Omnia [Debemur Morti Productions] BLACK METAL
- SORCERY – Necessary Excess of Violence [Xtreem Music] DEATH METAL
- GRAVEVIEW – Demos ’18-’19 [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH METAL
- WARCRAB – Damned in Endless Night [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH/SLUDGE
- GEISTAZ’IKA – Trolddomssejd I Skovens Dybe Kedel [Signal Rex] BLACK METAL*
- OLKOTH – The Immortal Depths & Treasures of Necromancy [Signal Rex] BLACK METAL
- TELEVISIO – TV2 [Ektro Records] ELECTRO
- HOPE DRONE – Void Lustre [The Sludgelord Records] POST-BLACK METAL
- POLEMICIST – Zarathustrian Impressions [Fólkvangr Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- INSURRECTION – Circles of Despair [Self-Released] MELODEATH/THRASH*
- SADOKIST – Necrodual Dimension Funeral Storms [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK METAL
- CRYPTIVORE – Unseen Divinity (Remaster) [Dawning Septic] DEATHGRIND
- MEATWOUND – Culero [Dark Operative] DARK HARDCORE*
- TENEBRAE IN PERPETUUM – Anorexia Obscura [Debemur Morti Productions] BLACK METAL
- ATOMIC WITCH – Void Curse [Seeing Red Records] THRASH METAL*
- HORRID APPARITION – Evil Reigns [Redefining Darkness Records] BLACK/THRASH
- ORM – Ir [Indisciplinarian] BLACK METAL
- ALUDRA – Mass Stellar Graves [Akashic Envoy Records] BLACK METAL
- SANTA LUCIA – Perse palaa [Svart Records] PUNK/METAL
- ACID KING – Busse Woods 20th Anniversary [RidingEasy Records] STONER/DOOM*
- SECT – Blood of the Beasts [Southern Lord Recordings] METALCORE/HARDCORE
UPCOMING RELEASES (8/31/19 – 9/06/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MUSTI – | [Future Lunch] EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC
- BARKASTH – Hear My Void [Ashen Dominion] ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL
- MUSPELLZHEIMR – Raukn [Amor Fati Productions] BLACK METAL
- ALCHOLOCAUST – Necro Apocalipse Bestial [Helldprod Records] BLACKENED THRASH
- SWAN VALLEY HEIGHTS – The Heavy Seed [Fuzzorama Records] PSYCHEDELIA
- VOKONIS – Grasping Time [The Sign Records] PROGRESSIVE SLUDGE*
- MIZMOR (מזמור) – Cairn [Gilead Media] BLACKENED DOOM/SLUDGE*
- RUNESPELL – Voice of Opprobrium [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL*
- BLACK CILICE – Transfixion of Spirits [Iron Bonehead Productions] RAW BLACK METAL
- REFLEX MACHINE – Interzone [Over the CounterCulture Records] SLUDGE METAL
- ROTTENDAWN – Occult [Saturnal Records] DEATH DOOM
- INFINITY FORMS OF YELLOW REMEMBER – s/t [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIA
- SUZUKI JUNZO & SDBIA – The Ascended Master Teachines of… [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIA
- SLEEPING ANCIENT – There is No Truth But Death [Viridian Flame] POST-ROCK
- SLAUGHTBBATH – Alchemical Warfare [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- PALE GREY LORD – Eschatology [Small Stone Recordings] PSYCHEDELIC DOOM METAL*
- ECLIPSER – Pathos [Noise Salvation] BLACK METAL
- ETHEREAL RIFFIAN – Legends [Robustfellow Productions] STONER ROCK/METAL*
- ETHER FEATHER – Devil – Shadowless – Hand [Self-Released] PSYCHEDELIC ROCK*
- DRUGS OF FAITH – Decay [Selfmadegod Records] GRINDCORE/ROCK
- ARCANE FROST – Dragged Into the Void [Bleeding Heart Nihilist] RAW/ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
Please Support GrizzlyButts.
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.