SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Portuguese heavy/thrashers TOXIKULL have a second full-length up their sleeves after their well received ‘The Nightraisers’ EP last year. Metal on Metal Records have announced ‘Cursed and Punished’ will be released on September 13th and promises to be their sharpest work yet. Ten tracks, pure evil speed metal, and here’s hoping its a bit more ‘Countdown to Extinction’ and less, nu-Overkill this time: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Barcelona, Spain based death metal band GRAVEYARD have unleashed a truly righteous first single from their upcoming fourth full-length, ‘Hold Back The Dawn’ which will see release through War Anthem Records on on September 20th. If you’re not familiar with the band, you’ve missed out on some great records. This song, “Of Extant Cults and Living Terrors”, has an incredible Bolt Thrower vibe to start and then it starts to remind me of pre-’94 Amorphis/Gorement! Check out the lyric video on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Finally! The long awaited second album from Indianapolis, Indiana stoner/doom lords VOID KING is nearly upon us. ‘There is Nothing’ (2016) was one of my favorite doom/stoner records of that year and holy shit once you hear “The Longest Winter”, the first single from ‘Barren Dominion’, you’ll be floored by how they’ve cranked that guitar tone up to eleven, goddamn. The record will be put out through Off The Record on September 13th as well as a self-release from the band on Bandcamp. Check out the song on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Time for a bit of sexploitation, drag queen brawls, and war upon the Vatican with COCAINE PISS who advise you to save your saliva for S-E-X on their new video for “Dry Mouth”. Its got drag queens, face-beaten priests, and suspense! Check the video and the band if you’re into noise rock. ‘Passionate and Tragic’ has been out on Hypertension Records since early April, make sure you don’t miss it. YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Moscow, Russia based dissonant death metal band HORROR GOD have announced their third full-length will see release through the venerable Lavadome Productions on September 27th. Entitled ‘Cursed Seeds’, this latest record from Horror God pushes their limits in terms of mind-blowing technique and conjuration of dark chaos. “Age of Madness” showcases this and their cruel brutality over on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- On November 8th Olympia, Washington heavy rock band QUAYDE LAHüE will release their long-awaited debut album, ‘Love Out Of Darkness’, on K Records/Adult Fantasy Records. Quayde La-Who? Well, shit, think of them like you would that first Quartz album, its definitely hard rock but some of that dual-guitar NWOBHM vibe seeping through. Check ’em out if you’re into retro (late 70’s) heavy rock and want to see what these folks from Mortiferum, Christian Mistress, Restless, and Bangs have done with the sound. More details and songs should follow, but for now check out their previous releases on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- World War Now Records has announced British death-thrash metal band THE BLEEDING are back with a second full-length just one year after the official release of their debut ‘Rites of Absolution’. ‘Morbid Prophecy’ is set to be released on October 18th. So far we’re treated to some insane cover art and no doubt some samples are on their way in the coming months. Follow ’em on Facebook if you’re into death metal: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Listenable Records have signed a multi-album deal with Barcelona, Spain’s heavy blues rock band IMPERIAL JADE and announced they’ll be re-releasing the band’s latest album ‘On the Rise’ (2017) with additional bonus tracks in October 2019. Consider this a ‘deep retro’ kind of band that go hard on the late 60’s early 70’s southern rock kick as much as they do pre-’71 Deep Purple. I’d just as well assume a new album is in the works soon. Big deal? Man! Check out the video for “Heat Wave”, these guys smoke: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The extraterrestrial experimentation of Steve Peacock‘s APPRENTICE DESTROYER, has been confirmed for another art/noise kosmische electric-musique concrete attack featuring a full sextet of musicians including an army of guitars from members of Vastum, Ulthar, Pandiscordian Necrogenesis, Curasao, as well as a member of Pale Chalice. Their sophomore release, ‘Permanent Climbing Monolith’, will be released on September 20th. Not sure what to expect? Uh, do you like Can’s ‘Tago Mago’ or the first couple of Neu! records? This is like a progressive version of that. Watch their Bandcamp like a hawk for more info: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Los Angeles, California death metal quartet INFIRMITY have announced their debut full-length, ‘Descendants of Sodom‘, for release through Lost Apparition Records on November 9th. What sort of death metal? Check out the title track for the album as it features a sort of blackened, thrashing take on death metal full of heavy metal riffing and anything but typical death metallic noise. I’d say this is something worth anticipating based on the clips I’ve heard so far, really love how dynamic and riff-heavy this first song is. “Descendants of Sodom” is up on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Long-expanding creative visionary, black metal’s very own death lotus BLUT AUS NORD have unveiled the details for ‘Hallucinogen‘. The suggestion is that an era has ended for the project as dissonance and industrial-tinged black metal of the last decade or so is a body complete and today a new lobe of their mind grows. This melodic/progressive side of the band will see an October 11th release through Debemur Morti Productions. Pre-orders, Dehn Sora‘s cover art and all other information is up on Bandcamp now: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Australian heavy psychedelic doom metal band HOLY SERPENT have once again graced the wilds of mankind with their sophisticated handiwork in the form of ‘Endless’, a grand and nigh progressive thunder of psychedelia and dirge-like beauty. The first single from this RidingEasy Records release (coming October 18th) “Lord Deceptor” is a pre-apocalyptic anxiety, a river of dread with a joyfully hallucinated croon atop its glowering doom riffed legs. Hugely anticipated album on my end as I’ve watched this band for some time! Listen to “Lord Deceptor” on YouTube, now!: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Worcester, Massachusetts based crossover band HIGH COMMAND aimed for the heaviest shit possible for their debut on (and first release for) Southern Lord, ‘Beyond The Wall Of Desolation‘. If you liked Plague Years and Enforced, here’s something a bit more on the level. You won’t have to wait all that long to hear what its all about since it’ll be released on September 27th and you can stream the first single “Visions From the Blade” on Bandcamp right now: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- 20 Buck Spin have announced an updated version of ‘The Sleeping Eye’, a 2009 full-length from Texas hardcore/metal (let’s say crossover) act, IRON AGE. This 2019 reissue will feature brand new artwork and see release on all formats this October 11th. This band always reminded me of like where early Leeway or Impulse Manslaughter might have went if they both didn’t kinda lose it and make funk metal. Another release that’ll make Power Trip heads very happy, lots of Cro-Mags in their cadence and mid-paced thrash feeling. Sick of fucking waiting already? Oh… Well, its up on Bandcamp on 20 Buck Spin‘s page, been out for a decade now too, bruh. Excellent album: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Immediately following Full Terror Assault open air fest on September 5th, death/doom metal band PULCHRA MORTE will begin recording the follow-up to 2019’s ‘Divina Autem Et Aniles‘. Guitarist and producer/engineer Jarrett Pritchard (1349, Goatwhore, Cannabis Corpse, Nocturnus A.D., etc.) will helm the board again as drummer Clayton Gore enters Matt Talbott’s (Hum, Centaur) Earth Analog studio the following week. Recording will continue throughout September at both Earth Analog and Pritchard’s own New Constellation studio in Orlando, Florida. Great news, I am overjoyed that they’re going hard at this project. In the meantime, make sure you didn’t miss their debut earlier this year: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Cemetery Lights, Void King, Horror God, Arallu, Eclipser, Creeping Death, Nocturnalia, Iron Age, Toxikull, Galaxy, Opium Lord, Apokalyptic Raids, Ethereal Riffian, Pinewalker, Orm, Mutilatred, Horrid Apparition, Magic Pie, Megaton Sword, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (8/03/19 – 8/09/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 8/05/19: If Hell is what awaits me, I feel no fright.
- This week I chose to cover a bunch of black metal related records from 2019 that I felt were overlooked or that I wanted to write about but never got around to a full review.
- Must hear: Domgård, Esoctrilihum, Yellow Eyes, Triste Terre.
- Next week’s theme will be crust punk and extreme crust hybrids (death, black, industrial, etc.) with some particularly good death/crust in the mix. If you’re in an independent band and reading this, send in review requests as I’m working on a monthly feature focusing on direct-from-band requests.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #32: Funeral Nation (United States) 1989-1994
- Funeral Nation were an odd (but not unconventional) duck that represented extreme metal and classic metal almost at once as contemporaries of groups like Master, Abomination, Devastation, etc. in the Chicago area but with a ‘Show No Mercy’-esque love for Venom always placed somewhat up front. They always went their own way and whenever things got challenging, they only became more independent.
- Next week (8/13) will feature the fairly short discography for the infamous underground death/thrashers Morbid Saint from 1984-1994. Not many bands are equally infamous for the album they released as they are for the one that they didn’t! (but eventually did…)
REVIEWS: The big releases this week were…not sent to me: Suicidal Angels and Destruction both released some pretty decent thrash metal today. Otherwise Total Hate, Lord Gore, Phobia, and Besvärjelsen made for pretty solid listening. What else will I cover from this week? For sure I’ll have a review for Darsombra‘s album with the possibility of thoughts on Anifernyen and Trench Warfare soon. As you’ll see next week, this month rules for thrash heads!
- Lord Gore – Scalpels for Blind Surgeons (2019) REVIEW
- Total Hate – Throne Behind A Black Veil (2019) REVIEW
- Undeath – Sentient Autolysis (2019) REVIEW
- Aphelion – I (2019) REVIEW
- Cerebral Rot – Odious Descent Into Decay (2019) REVIEW
- Besvärjelsen – Frost (2019) REVIEW
- Abysmal Lord – Exaltation of the Infernal Cabal (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these (possible, not guaranteed) reviews by Monday (8/12/19): Shock Narcotic, Here Lies Man, Abyssal.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- DARSOMBRA 9/04/2019 Cryptatropa – Olympia, WA
- ACID KING w/Wizard Rifle, Warish 9/21/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- VOIVOD & REVOCATION w/Skeletal Remains 9/25/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- ELIMINATOR FEST 2019 w/Deceased, Morbid Saint, Witch Vomit, R.I.P. & more 9/27/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
- HIGH ON FIRE, Power Trip, Devil Master & Creeping Death – 12/02/2019 @ Neumos – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (8/03/19 – 8/09/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- ANIFERNYEN – Augur [Ethereal Sound Works] MELODIC BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- DEATH BY FUNGI – Die in Bombay [Self-Released] HARDCORE PUNK
- MOOP – Moop [Tonzonen Records] BRUTAL JAZZ/IMPROVISATION
- GLACIER – No Light Ever [Wolves and Vibrancy Records] INSTRUMENTAL POST-DOOM
- STRAPPADO – Exigit Sincerae Devotionis Affectus [Comatose Music] DEATH METAL
- OVERT ENEMY – Possession [Confused Records] THRASH METAL
- TRENCH WARFARE – Hatred Prayer [Transcending Obscurity Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE – Life Without Pain Is A Fucking Fantasy [Inner Strength Records] CROSSOVER THRASH
- CEMICAN – In Ohtli Teoyohtica In Miquiztl [M-Theory Audio] AZTEC METAL
- DARSOMBRA – Transmission [Self-Released] PSYCHEDELIA/EXPERIMENTAL*
- MANY BLESSINGS / PULSATILE TINNITUS – s/t [Anti-Corporate Music] Experimental collaboration
UPCOMING RELEASES (8/10/19 – 8/16/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- VARIOUS ARTISTS – Doom or be Doomed: A French Tribute to Cathedral [Sleeping Church Records] EXTREME DOOM METAL*
- WAINGRO – III [The Sludgelord Records] SLUDGE METAL*
- EVIL / SIEGE COLUMN – Split EP [Nuclear War Now! Productions] DEATH METAL
- FIREWALKWITHME – The Eternal Black Rainbow [Self-Released] HEAVY ROCK
- BASTARD GRAVE – Diorama of Human Suffering [Pulverised Records] DEATH METAL*
- REPENT – Condemned to Fail [High Roller Records] THRASH METAL*
- ANTICOSM – The Call of the Void [Self-Released] MODERN THRASH*
- DETHEROUS – Hacked to Death [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH/THRASH METAL*
- DEVOURMENT – Obscene Majesty [Relapse Records] BRUTAL DEATH METAL*
- HELLVETRON – Trident of Tartarean Gateways [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL*
- REIGN IN BLOOD – Missa Pro Defunctis [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- CRUICKSHANK – Cruickshank [Self-Released] SLUDGE METAL
- LIFETIME SHITLIST – Bad Blood [Grimoire Records] SLUDGE/PUNK
- OXX – The Skeleton is Just a Coat Hanger; These Are the Black Strings That Make You Dance [Nefarious Industries] HARDCORE
- SOPHIST – Betrothal To The Stone: Conception of Mephisto [Self-Released] BLACKENED GRINDCORE
- WRAITH – Absolute Power [Self-Released] BLACK/SPEED METAL
- SUPERTERRESTRIAL – The Void That Exists [Self-Released] BLACK METAL/AMBIENT
- MAVORIM – Aasfresser [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can donate to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.