SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Heaven and Hell Records have announced the release of North Carolina traditional heavy metal band DOGBANE‘s third album ‘Idylls of Woe’ for July 19 on CD and vinyl formats. Check out “The One I Was Warned Of” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Portland, Oregon death metal band WITCH VOMIT have announced their second full-length album ‘Buried Deep in a Bottomless Grave’ for release on all formats August 30th through the illustrious 20 Buck Spin. Much has changed since their 2016 debut on Memento Mori most notably including a second guitarist (Casey Lynch of Trepanation and Aldebaran) and oh boy has their sound gotten even more savage in the meantime. They’re ready! Are you? Check out “Dripping Tombs”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Seeking to share the beauty of the Tatarstan wilderness in Russia, progressive folk metal act BARADJ filmed a video for the self-titled track from their third full-length “Hunnar”. They’re pretty interesting for a modern band, almost a stylistic representation of Kazan itself with Bulgar heritage; A post between the ancient Finnish people and the Czech empire. That is to say their melodic sense is somewhere between Amorphis and say, a Hungarian folk band like Dalriada. Check out the video here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions have announced September 6th as the release date for BLACK CILICE‘s fifth full-length ‘Transfixion of Spirits’ on all formats. Consider this project a small innovation in modern raw black metal that has evolved as an important figure in the Portuguese atmospheric and lo-fi black metal sound today. This preview track, “Outerbody Incarnation”, has a sweetly melodic undertone but a characteristically brutal attack is maintained nonetheless: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- In the midst of celebrating nearly twenty years as a band, if you don’t count a short disbandment, Portland, Maine doom trio OGRE have signed with Cruz Del Sur Music and announced the October release of their fifth full-length entitled ‘Thrice As Strong’. One of the most underrated fusions of heavy rock and traditional doom metal in the early 2000’s, a new Ogre album is always an event and a gift. More details will follow in the coming months. Here’s hoping Orodriun’s album comes out nearby as well. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Adult Swim Singles has commissioned a single from Vancouver, British Colombia based epic doom/sludge metal band SEER for the 45th installment of their current singles program. “Children of the Dying Light” feels entirely related to their most recent album ‘Vol. 6’ for Artoffact Records. This is an interactive listening experience on Adult Swim’s website, click on the eyes! Here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Australian atmospheric pagan black metal artist RUNESPELL have announced their third full-length with Iron Bonehead Productions ‘Voice of Opprobrium’ is set for September 6th release on CD and vinyl LP formats. Nightwolf is surely a talent and this time around I like the dry and somewhat distant drum presence. Watch for this one if you loved that Flamen record as much as I did, has a bit of that vibe. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Finnish sludge-grindcore/death metal hybrid duo GOATBURNER have signed with Italian label Time to Kill Records who’ll release the band’s upcoming debut full-length entitled, ‘Extreme Conditions’, due for release on September 27th. Unhinged band! Somewhere between powerviolence, sludge and death metal. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Swedish progressive death/doom metal act IN MOURNING, will complete the trilogy started with ‘The Weigh of Oceans’ (2012) with the release of their new studio album entitled ‘Garden Of Storms‘ which is slated for October 4th worldwide release from Agonia Records. The bands line-up has shifted and they’ve gone back to their original producer so it sounds like it’ll be different in some sense. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Chicago, Illinois crust punk/death metal band BONES have announced their third full-length and first with Transcending Obscurity Records ‘Diseased’ for a September 20th release. If you’re not familiar with the band they feature current and former Usurper, Death Youth, and Agnosia members. Check out the first song/video from the album on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Swedish death metal legends SORCERY, have announced their fourth full-length ‘Necessary Excess of Cruelty’ has finished recording and mixing process. Release is imminent through their long-time label (since reformation) Xtreem Music on August 20th for CD and 12″ vinyl LP. Album art looks nice, check out the death-thrashing “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Out of the echoing caves of darkness and into the fields of desolation on white horses sojourns epic doom metal band CRYPT SERMON who return with their follow up to 2015 god-form ‘Out of the Garden’, ‘The Ruins of Fading Light’, which is set for release on Dark Descent Records on September 13th. Sounds like they’ve gone in the direction of bands like Khemmis and Spirit Adrift in addressing some 80’s heavy rock aspects in addition to their core traditional doom metal sound. A bit less Candlemass more Dio, maybe? Decide for yourself with the preview of “Key of Soloman”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- What have the dudes from Discordance Axis been doing since splitting up around 2001? Well, Grindlink, Municipal Waste, Defiled, ok, ok… But I mean, together? Well, it sounds like they’ve reformed but also it -sounds- like they’ve reformed on NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE DEAD THINK, a new band from members that’ll be coming out on Willowtip Records on September 20th. Check out the opening track “Yorha” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Crypt Sermon, Asagraum, Bastard Grave, Bleach Everything, Bones, Beastmaker, Rotting Christ & Varathron, Pa Vesh En, The Drippers, No One Knows What the Dead Think, Cult of Sorrow, Stozhar, Needless, Yellow Eyes, Ole English, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (6/22/19 – 6/28/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 6/24/19: Sic transit gloria profundi.
- This week Patreon Patrons chose the subject of TFTT and voted for mini-reviews for ten releases that were requested by independent bands directly. Most are death metal or extreme metal related but not all.
- Must hear: Enemy, Oppress., Denunciation.
- Next week’s theme will be decided by me, and it’ll be ‘outsider’ folk, neofolk, folk metal, and that sphere of influence.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #26: Stigma (Greece) 1986-1993
- The thing about a demo only band like Stigma is that they weren’t widely documented or written about after the fact beyond Wild Rags releasing their 1991 demo as cassette EP. It is a shame because they went from being a decent hardcore punk band, a decent crossover-thrash band, an Atheist-esque death-thrash metal band and then their last demo was this incredible death metal release that is underrated as all hell. If anything you must listen to their ‘Epitaph’ demo from 1993.
- Next week (7/02) will feature Swedish thrash-gone-death-gone… nu-metal?! fellows Captor from 1987-1995. Wow, did they suck shit after 1993!
- Metal of the Month: June’s Finest 15 Releases (2019)
- Posting 6/28 or 6/29, link will be updated when finished…
REVIEWS: Lighter on the reviews this week as I’m working on a couple of extra things that’ll drop soon. The big release this week was Epitaphe but don’t overlook Scumripper, Birdflesh, Kapala, Consecration, Tristengrav and the return of Denial of God. July is somewhat slower, I’ll catch up.
- Wormlust & Skáphe – Kosmískur Hryllingur (2019) REVIEW
- Epitaphe – I (2019) REVIEW
- Low Flying Hawks – Anxious Ghosts (2019) REVIEW
- Verwüstung – Gospel Ov Fury (2019) REVIEW
- Memoriam – Requiem for Mankind (2019) REVIEW
- Martyrium – Children Scream For Mercy (2019) REVIEW
- Mysticism Black – Return of the Bestial Flame (2019) REVIEW
- Kingdom – Rotting Carcass Arise Upon the Burial Mound (2019) REVIEW [Posts 6/28]
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (7/01/19): Victims, Cosmic Putrefaction, Hirveä.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- SUPERSTITION w/Spectral Voice, Mortiferum 6/30/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- VELNIAS w/Maestus 7/17/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- ACID KING w/Wizard Rifle, Warish 9/21/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- VOIVOD & REVOCATION w/Skeletal Remains 9/25/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (6/22/19 – 6/28/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- TYRMFAR – Renewal Through Purification [MTAF Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- TRISTENGRAV – II – Nychavge [Caligari Records] GOTH ROCK/BLACK METAL*
- HATE MANIFESTO – Herald of Triumph [Helter Skelter Productions] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- PESTIS INFEROS – Beyond the Veil of Light [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- MONARQUE – Jusqu’à la Mort [Sepulchral Productions] BLACK METAL*
- KAPALA – Termination Apex [Dunkelheit Produktionen] WAR METAL
- ABYSMAL GRIEF – Mors Eleison [Sun & Moon Records] DOOM METAL Reissue
- UNDOER – Survival is a Myth [Sun & Moon Records] BLACK METAL
- VECTIS – The Executioner [Helldprod Records] BLACK/THRASH METAL
- LIFES – Treading Water [Triple Eye Industries] GRINDCORE
- ZACHARY LUCKY – The Ballad of Losing You [Nordvis] FOLK
- CONTAMINATED / KUTABARE – Death Sick / Funeral Erection [Blood Harvest] DEATH METAL
- BIRDFLESH – Extreme Graveyard Tornado [Everlasting Spew Records] GRINDCORE*
- SCUMRIPPER – All Veins Blazing [Hell’s Headbangers Records] METALPUNK*
- INERT – Vermin [Neckbreaker Records] DEATH METAL*
- DENIAL OF GOD – The Shapeless Mass [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK/DARK METAL*
- TURKEY VULTURE – Boxer [Self-Released] HARD ROCK/HEAVY METAL
- THE PROJECTIONIST – Visits From the Nighthag Part 2 [Appalachian Noise Records] BLACK METAL
- HAWKEYES – Last Light of Future Failure [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIC DOOM/FUZZ/PSYCH ROCK
- WHITE MANNA – Ape on Sunday [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIA
- AXIOMA – Crown [Translation Loss Records] POST-BLACK/SLUDGE METAL*
- CASPAR BROTZMANN MASSAKER – Der Abend Der Schwarzen Folklore / Koksofen [Southern Lord] EXPERIMENTAL NOISE ROCK Reissues
- CONSECRATION – Fragilium [Solitude Productions] DEATH/DOOM METAL*
- THENIGHTTIMEPROJECT – Pale Season [Debemur Morti Productions] DEPRESSIVE ROCK/PROG
- DRIMYS WINTERI – Excelsa Natura [Australis Records] ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (7/01/19 – 7/08/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- CELESTIAL GRAVE – Secular Flesh [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL*
- IMPURE – Satan’s Eclipse [Chaos Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- HEX – God Has No Name [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH/DOOM METAL*
- DETACH THE ISLANDS – The Burden to Become Fact [Dental Records] POWERVIOLENCE/POST-HARDCORE
- TOVARISH – If the War Comes Tomorrow [Argonauta Records] EXPERIMENTAL DOOM METAL
- MALFET – The Way to Avalon [Pacific Threnodies] DUNGEON SYNTH*
- ARKHAAIK – *dʰg̑ʰm̥tós [Iron Bonehead Productions] EXPERIMENTAL METAL/DARK AMBIENT
- ANGER MACHINE – Trial of the Perished [Self-Released] GROOVE METAL
- ECLIPTIC VISION – Ecliptic Vision [Self-Released] BRUTAL DEATH METAL
- SPIKER – Heavy Metal Macht [Dying Victims Productions] HEAVY METAL
- THE NIGHT ETERNAL – The Night Eternal [Dying Victims Productions] HEAVY METAL
- HEMISFERIO – Anacronía [Dying Victims Productions] HEAVY METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.