SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- If you’re not familiar with Swiss black metal act UNGFELL they’ve announced the reissue of their debut full-length ‘Tôtbringære’, for release August 2nd via Eisenwald. With a raw majesty this band are well past due for some greater notice, think along the lines of Sognametal classics and the melodious Quebec black metal of today. Already heard the album? Well, there are some bonus tracks included. They’ve made a video for one of them (“Das Hexenmal”) and its up on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Funeral Trance sets July 15th as the international release date for a new demo recording from Canada’s SIGIL, entitled ‘Demonstration MMXIX‘. It’ll be a limited cassette tape release. Who? Well, these guys are great but its been about six years of silence, so if you’re not up to speed check out their ‘Mutagen’ album from 2013. If you’re into the esoteric style of black/death they bring on this demo, good news as they’re working on a new full-length that is coming soon. It sounds a bit like that Danish band Reverie, so kinda post-hardcore vibes in there. Its up on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Whoa! Neurot Recordings reissuing the infamous collaboration between NEUROSIS & JARBOE, from back in 2003, not only that but they’re remastering it, adding new cover art (Aaron Turner) and it’ll be available on vinyl for the first time! It’ll be up for grabs on August 2nd. I liked the original for its time and place, right at the peak of Neurosis’ biggest changes towards independence but I am very curious to hear how it sounds. Read the notes on the record, lots of interesting trivia on the albums conception and creation. Album art is stellar too! Preview tracks are up on Bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Helter Skelter Productions unveils an early preview track from Belgium based death/doom metal band ITERU entitled “Azrael”. The album is apparently still in the finalizing stages, doesn’t have a title or release date yet but I’d say this song gives some reason to anticipate it. I really liked ‘Ars Moriendi’ back in 2017. Some glorious the Ruins of Beverast vibes! Watch the video for the song on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Help! Somebody heeeeyelp! 20 Buck Spin are done with the cleaver and they’re revving up their chainsaws and skin masks for the last six months of the year. So much blood! Seattle, Washington’s CEREBRAL ROT will once again spew their melty-squirty corpse fungus upon the populace with their debut full-length ‘Odious Descent Into Decay’ which’ll be out on LP, CD, cassette, and all digital platforms via 20 Buck Spin on August 16th. They’ll also be on tour with Fetid for a bunch of dates well on through the Fall. Sounds a bit like those Carcass influenced early days of Finnish death metal. Check out the first preview track on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Norwegian d-beat/melodic crust group AGENDA are working with the venerable Fysisk Format for their second full-length entitled ‘Apocalyptic Wasteland‘ which is primed for an August 7th release. Agenda are comprised of current and former members of metalpunk bands Avast, Nag and Töxik Death but they sound a bit closer to Martyrdöd on the video “Suffer” which is up on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
Metalpunk legends collective TAU CROSS returns! The third album will be titled ‘Messengers Of Deception‘ and out August 9th on Relapse Records. If you don’t know them yet check out the prior records as any Amebix/Voivod/Misery fan will be excited to hear Rob “The Baron” Miller, Michel “Away” Langevin and crew in a relatively modern take on metallic ultra-crust. They’ve put a video up on YouTube for the song “Burn With Me”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Helldprod Records has set July 31st as the international release date for a 7″ vinyl EP from death metal legends NUNSLAUGHTER entitled ‘Antichrist’. They’ve re-recorded four classic songs with the current line-up including my personal favorite song “God”. Looking forward to this and love the cover art. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- ETHEREAL RIFFIAN’s third full-length, ‘Legends’, will be released via Robustfellow Productions on the September 6th. Yeah, that it I guess? I mean the press release was bare. But hey, if you go to their Facebook page and flip around you’ll find that they’ve been including posts about twenty humanitarian ‘legends’ throughout modern day culture and more recent history. The theme appears to revolve around people who stand up to do good within the world. Its a Ukrainian psychedelic doom/stoner metal band, here’s the title track: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Afrobeat and heavy psych wailers HERE LIES MAN slink in all silky-like with the first track “Clad in Silver” from their recently announced Mini LP ‘No Ground to Walk Upon’. It’ll be out August 16th and righteously so on RidingEasy Records! Love the band’s ever-unique sound and buzzing retro guitar sound, absolutely gorgeous musical quicksand. Check out the preview track on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- New Jersey blackened thrash n’ rollers ANTICOSM recently announced the independent release of their third full-length album, ‘The Call of the Void‘. You’ll heard right away they’ve beefed up their sound and gone a bit more intense, sounds a bit more tech-death/thrash to my ears with some tech-melodeath influences. Think like, Revocation and Aepoch style. Kinda cool album cover, way better than the last one. Check out the first preview track on YouTube “Scorched Earth”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Zeilarn, Germany based thrash metal band MORTAL INFINITY have announced what looks to be the self-release of their third full-length ‘In Cold Blood’ due out September 6th. A violent reaction to greed and manipulation by the powers that be in the tradition of classic thrash metal but with a fairly clean, modern sound. Damn, the bass tone is a fuckin’ hammer. Here’s a preview track “Fellowship of Rats” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Swedish melodic death/doom metal band IN MOURNING, have finished recording their fifth studio album, the follow-up to ‘Afterglow’ (2016). The record will be officially announced in the very near future, with a release date set for Autumn 2019 on Agonia Records. I’m a fan of [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- “Accelerative Phenomenae” is up next as the second single from Toronto, Ontario’s TOMB MOLD! Their third album is a brutal, soul-smoking riff factory they’re calling, ‘Planetary Clairvoyance’ and its up for grabs now on pre-order. Eh, all the color variants are sold out as of like a few hours of the press release! New shirts look hot so they will go soon, too. Grab one, and jump on that song: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Tomb Mold, Desecresy, Carnal Tomb, Sigil, Concrete Winds, Ordeals, Consecration, Wizard Rifle, Thenightimeproject, Dream Troll, Eternal Storm, Boatman’s Toll, Nunslaughter, Detherous, Vokonis, Pacifist, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (6/08/19 – 6/14/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 6/10/19: Fuck for noise’s sake.
- This week I opted to do mini-reviews for five noise rock albums and five experimental noise albums in alternating pattern. I am always grateful to get noise rock albums to review, though many I simply have no meaningful reference for.
- Must hear: Throat, Intercourse, Cocaine Piss.
- Next week will focus on Black Metal releases from the last six months.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #24: Merciless (Sweden) 1986-1994
- A well known band that few people actually listen to closely. I have some major love for Merciless‘ discography starting with their second demo and on through ‘Unbound. All three full-lengths are essential death/thrash with ‘Unbound’ being a crazy outlier.
- Next week (6/18) will feature French death/thrashers Agressor.
REVIEWS: As often as I try to accommodate requests from independent bands it happens less often these days because I prioritize what I consider the very top tier of interesting or valuable releases. I am generally more than happy to cover exceptional independent and unknown bands, though. This week I tried to mix things up and cover a wide spread of sub-genres, old masters and new faces. The review for the latest Pelican is coming, I’ve just needed more time to write a review that isn’t weirdly personal or irrelevant to the music, which is instrumental. Nucleus, Superstition, and Sadistic Ritual should have old school death and thrash heads very excited this week!
- Darkthrone – Old Star (2019) REVIEW
- Python – Astrological Warfare (2019) REVIEW
- Sadistic Ritual – Visionaire of Death (2019) REVIEW
- Mofsed – Rattenkrieg! (2019) REVIEW
- Barbarian – To No God Shall I Kneel (2019) REVIEW
- Superstition – The Anatomy of Unholy Transformation (2019) REVIEW
- Sacral Night – Ancient Remains (2019) REVIEW
- USA Nails – Life Cinema (2019) REVIEW
- Nucleus – Entity (2019) REVIEW
- Beheaded – Only Death Can Save You (2019) REVIEW
- Slomatics – Canyons (2019) REVIEW
- Power From Hell – Profound Evil Presence (2019) REVIEW [Publishes 6/14]
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (6/17/19): Pinkish Black, Zad, and Xentrix.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- SUPERSTITION w/Spectral Voice, Mortiferum 6/30/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- ACID KING w/Wizard Rifle, Warish 9/21/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- VOIVOD & REVOCATION w/Skeletal Remains 9/25/19 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (6/08/19 – 6/14/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MERIDION – Rise From the South [Eclectic Productions] DEATH METAL
- SARCOFAGO – Crust (Reissue) [Greyhaze Records] BLACK METAL
- ENABLERS – Zones [Exile on Mainstream Records] EXPERIMENTAL ROCK
- CROM DUBH – Firebrands and Ashes [Ván Records] BLACK METAL
- POWER FROM HELL – Profound Evil Presence [High Roller Records] BLACK/THRASH METAL*
- TEMPLE KOLUDRA – Seven! Sirens! To A Lost Archetype [Transcending Obscurity Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- PANZERFAUST – The Suns of Perdition I: War, Horrid War [Eisenwald] BLACK METAL
- WINTERWOLF – Lycanthropic Metal of Death [Svart Records] DEATH METAL
- PINKISH BLACK – Concept Unification [Relapse Records] EXPERIMENTAL ROCK*
- SLOMATICS – Canyons [Black Bow Records] SLUDGE/DOOM*
- DAMAGE S.F.P. – Damage S.F.P. [Rockshots Records] THRASH METAL
- HELL BENT – Apocalyptic Lamentations [Horror Pain Gore Death] CROSSOVER THRASH
- NVRK – THGHTLSS LGHT [Ván Records] BLACK METAL
- MOUTH – Past Present Future [Tonzonen Records] RETRO-PROG/KRAUT
- NEBULA ORIONIS – To Keep the Flame Burning [Casus Belli Musica] BLACK METAL
- FRIENDSHIP – Undercurrent [Southern Lord] HARDCORE PUNK
- INFRARED – Back to the Warehouse [Self-Released] THRASH METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (6/15/19 – 6/21/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- AIMA – Tragos [Nuclear War Now! Productions] BLACK METAL (12″ vinyl LP issue)
- PACIFIST – Greyscale Dreams [Self-Released] POST-HARDCORE
- DEFIXION – Tabella Defixionis [Xtreem Music] DEATH METAL
- COLD BLACK RIVER – Tales of Death & The Devil [Self-Released] DOOM ROCK/HEAVY METAL (CD issue)
- RAINER LANDFERMANN – Mein Wort in Deiner Dunkelheit [Self-Released] AVANT-GARDE METAL
- WRETCHED OF THE EARTH – Collapse // Rebirth [Shove Records] CRUST/HARDCORE PUNK
- MURK RIDER – Exile of Shadows [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- IMPERATOR – The Time Before Time [Nuclear War Now! Productions] BLACK THRASH DEATH METAL (Reissue)*
- ITHEIST – Itheist [Self-Released] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- BERTHOLD CITY – What Time Takes [WAR Records] HARDCORE PUNK
- RAVENSIRE – A Stone Engraved in Red [Cruz Del Sur Music] HEAVY METAL*
- THE ODIOUS – Vesica Piscis [Self-Released] PROG METAL
- THE MEADS OF ASPHODEL – Running out of Time Doing Nothing [Godreah Records] EXPERIMENTAL METAL*
- GYGAX – High Fantasy [Creator-Destructor Records] HEAVY METAL
- SCYTHE LORE – Through the Mausoleums of Man [Iron Bonehead Productions] DEATH METAL*
- VALARAUKAR – Demonian Abyssal Visions [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL*
- LUNAR SHADOW – The Smokeless Fires [Cruz Del Sur Music] EPIC HEAVY METAL*
- THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG – New Organon [Cruz Del Sur Music] HEAVY METAL*
- SONORAN REBEL BLACK MAGICK – True Western Doom [New Density] FOLK
- CRUSH THE ALTAR – Abhorrent Oblation [Redefining Darkness Records] BLACK THRASH
- SANITY CONTROL – Demo 2019 [Seeing Red Productions] CROSSOVER THRASH
- PLASTIC CRIMEWAVE SYNDICATE – The Massacre of the Celestials [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIA
- SKELATOR – Cyber Metal [Gates of Hell Records] HEAVY METAL
- ALWANZATAR – Helsfyr Terminal Ekspress [Apollon Records] ELECTRO-KOSMISCHE
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
Please Support GrizzlyButts.
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.