SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Get pissed you fuckin’ wimp! Er, eh… Check out this new ZIG ZAGS video for “Punk Fucking Metal” the opening jam from ‘They’ll Never Take Us Alive’. The skull mask with the jheri curl is such a fucking nightmare! The record rules, get it from RidingEasy‘s Bandcamp! YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Portuguese grindcore band HOLOCAUSTO CANIBAL whipped up a ‘Peel Sessions’ kinda gig for themselves live on Portuguese radio back in 2015 to capture their 2014/2015 live set. They’re releasing it in a couple of weeks as ‘Assintonia Hertziana‘ on June 21st via Lusitanian Music. Here’s a clip on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- 20 Buck Spin in conjunction with Amor Fati Productions will be releasing the crowning third record in a trilogy from black/death band MYLINGAR, ‘Döda Själar’, on August 2nd. A true cacophony of hellish noise. An early stream of the album’s opening track, “Obalansen,” is up on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Cluj-Napoca, Romania based progressive extreme metal band LEFT HAND PATH released a new single taken off their upcoming debut to be released June 17th on Loud Rage Records. Not my style exactly, a prog-groove/death sort of thing, but I really like the message of their music. YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Sepulchral Productions have set June 24th as the international release date for Quebecois black metal royalty MONARQUE‘s new mini-album, ‘Jusqu’à la Mort’. The album art is fantastic. They’ve made a preview track available on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Chicago-based 1980’s underground thrashers WRATH announced Part I of their ‘Rage Across America Tour’ on the heels of their latest release, ‘Rage’ which is available on (David Ellefson’s) Combat Records. If you’ve not heard of Wrath, check out ‘Nothing to Fear’ (1987)! The band put up the dates on Facebook so click on over there and see if you can see ’em: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Italian black metal bands FORDOMTH and MALAURIU have joined forces to release the split single ‘Twin Serpent Dawn‘. To be released on June 20th on MCD format (limited to 66 copies) via Masked Dead Records and on August 25th in 7″ black vinyl, (limited to 300 copies) via Black Mourning Productions. Fordomth’s debut was incredible so I’m really looking forward to this split! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The sixth full-length from cave-creeping Finnish death metal band DESECRESY has been announced. ‘Towards Nebulae’ will see a CD release on July 23rd through longtime partnership with Xtreem Music. Next to Krypts there are few projects capable of such savage and horrifying death/doom and Desecresy has been a fully solo effort from Tommi Grönqvist (Slugathor) for a couple of albums now. They’ve released a preview track on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Morbid Metal Records have released the debut demo of HELLAVENGER (Chile) cassette tape limited to 100 copies. Hellavenger’s ‘Lord of the Burning Abyss’ demo features ex-members of Communion and Deathwards for a blackened thrash style they’re calling ‘primordial black metal’. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Oenos, Immortal Bird, Celestial Grave, Monarque, Pathetic, Rotten Hate, Cable, Wait, Axioma, Skelator, Martyrium, Demiurgon, Murk Rider, Ancestral, Demenzia Mortis, and several more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (6/01/19 – 6/07/19)
- Twenty From the Tomb 6/03/19: Smooth and smiling with ruin in their eyes.
- This week I opted to do mini-reviews for twenty albums (instead of ten) a second time because I felt like I missed so much great work in May that I wanted to highlight some truly fantastic music.
- Must hear: Calyx, Destroyer of Light, Hellish Grave, Vortex of End.
- Next week the usual ten album format returns, this time it’ll be hardcore punk or interesting non-metal releases.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #23: Protected Illusion (Finland) 1988-1993
- A truly exciting find for fans of crossover thrash a la Cryptic Slaughter and death/thrash a la Hellwitch that brings screeching intensity and grinding death together into one fucked up bloody mosh. Finnish fellows Protected Illusion were virtually unknown until their discography was make available for free online in the early 2000’s, today it is all pretty hard to find outside of an 11 year old compilation from Brazil. I go over the earliest stuff until about 1992 and unfortunately the last three demos aren’t so easy to find anymore. If you want to just hit the essential stuff get the ’91 EP and ‘Festering Fairytales’ and you’re set!
- Next week (6/11) will feature Swedish legends Merciless.
REVIEWS: Another week spent catching up with last weeks reviews in full and then trying to work in a handful of neck-breakers otherwise. I’ve been experimenting with some graphical changes on the site and the look of social media posts, only put a few hours into making templates so far… so that’ll refine over time as I decide on color scheme and find the ideal shape/size for image posts across all platforms. Shits blurry so far I guess so, bear with me! Reviews for Sadistic Ritual, Barbarian, and Pelican are in process.
- Crucifixion – Paths Less Taken / Raising the Dead [Compilation] (2019) REVIEW
- Pestilent Death – Chapters of Depravity (2019) REVIEW
- Foul – Of Worms (2019) REVIEW
- Hellgoat – Death Conquers All [Vinyl] (2019) REVIEW
- Mutilate – Contagium (2019) REVIEW
- Maladia – Demo [Cassette] (2019) REVIEW
- Crestfallen Queen – Queen of Swords (2019) REVIEW
- Kaleidobolt – Bitter (2019) REVIEW
- Misþyrming – Algleymi (2019) REVIEW
- Fetid – Steeping Corporeal Mess (2019) REVIEW
- Infernal Conjuration – Infernale Metallum Mortis (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (6/10/19): Python, Darkthrone, and Mofsed.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- THE RUINS OF BEVERAST w/Dispirit, Nightfell 6/11/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- POISON IDEA w/The Derelicts, Acid Teeth, Victims Panel 6/13/19 @ Jazzbones – Tacoma, WA
- SUPERSTITION 7/05/2019 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- ACID KING w/Wizard Rifle, Warish 9/21/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- VOIVOD & REVOCATION w/Psycroptic, Skeletal Remains, Conjurer 9/25/2019 @ El Corazon – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (6/01/19 – 6/07/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- VINGULMORK – Avgrunn [Crime Records] BLACK METAL
- TURBOCHARGED – Above Lords, Below Earth [GFY Productions] METALPUNK
- PYTHON – Astrological Warfare [The AJNA Offensive/AnnapurnA] DOOM METAL*
- SNOGG – Chinnamasta [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- DAEMONI – Black Tyrant [Goathorned Productions] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- KINGDOM – Rotten Carcass Arise Upon the Burial Mound [Godz ov War Productions] DEATH METAL*
- MISANTHROPIC RAGE – Towards the Greyscale Aphorysm [Godz ov War Productions] BLACK METAL*
- HEREZA – Death Metal Drunks [Godz ov War Productions] DEATH METAL
- DEATH HAWKS – Psychic Harmony [Svart Records] PSYCH ROCK
- FAERIE RING – The Clearing [King Volume Records] PSYCH ROCK
- SILVER DEVIL – Paralyzed [Ozium Records] STONER DOOM/FUZZ ROCK
- THE HYSS – Hound [Self-Released] STONER DOOM METAL*
- JESS BY THE LAKE – Under the Red Light Shine [Svart Records] OCCULT ROCK*
- ANCIENT HOSTILITY – Ancient Hostility [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- ALASE – Vastaus [Inverse Records] ATMOSPHERIC ROCK/METAL
- SOULLINE – The Deep [Profane Records] MELODIC DEATH METAL
- BARBARIAN – To No God Shall I Kneel [Hell’s Headbangers Records] SPEED/HEAVY METAL*
- PRIMITIVE MAN – Steel Casket [Crown and Throne Ltd.] DARK AMBIENT/NOISE
- HUMANART – (Further) Into the Depths [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- PELICAN – Nighttime Stories [Southern Lord] POST-METAL*
- GRAVEFIELDS – Embrace the Void [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH METAL
- DRIVING SLOW MOTION – Arda [Self-Released] POST-ROCK
- IAN BLURTON – Signals Through the Flames [Pajama Party] HEAVY PSYCH/ROCK
- DEPRESSOR – Hell Storms Over Earth [Sentient Ruin] CRUST/INDUSTRIAL/DEATH
UPCOMING RELEASES (6/8/19 – 6/14/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MERIDION – Rise From the South [Eclectic Productions] DEATH METAL
- SARCOFAGO – Crust (Reissue) [Greyhaze Records] BLACK METAL
- ENABLERS – Zones [Exile on Mainstream Records] JAZZ/POST-ROCK
- CROM DUBH – Firebrands and Ashes [Ván Records] BLACK METAL
- NUCLEUS – Entity [Unspeakable Axe Records] DEATH METAL*
- POWER FROM HELL – Profound Evil Presence [High Roller Records] BLACK/THRASH METAL*
- TEMPLE KOLUDRA – Seven! Sirens! To A Lost Archetype [Transcending Obscurity Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- PANZERFAUST – The Suns of Perdition I: War, Horrid War [Eisenwald] BLACK METAL
- WINTERWOLF – Lycanthropic Metal of Death [Svart Records] DEATH METAL
- PINKISH BLACK – Concept Unification [Relapse Records] EXPERIMENTAL ROCK*
- BEHEADED – Only Death Can Save You [Agonia Records] DEATH METAL*
- SLOMATICS – Canyons [Black Bow Records] SLUDGE/DOOM*
- DAMAGE S.F.P. – Damage S.F.P. [Rockshots Records] THRASH METAL
- HELL BENT – Apocalyptic Lamentations [Horror Pain Gore Death] CROSSOVER THRASH
- NVRK – THGHTLSS LGHT [Ván Records] BLACK METAL
- MOUTH – Past Present Future [Tonzonen Records] RETRO-PROG/KRAUT
- NEBULA ORIONIS – To Keep the Flame Burning [Casus Belli Musica] BLACK METAL
- FRIENDSHIP – Undercurrent [Southern Lord] HARDCORE PUNK
- INFRARED – Back to the Warehouse [Self-Released] THRASH METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.