SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Godz ov War Productions have announced details for the forthcoming fifth full-length from Polish death metal band KINGDOM “Rotting Carcass Arise upon the Burial Mound” is scheduled for a release on June 6th, as standard jewel case CD with a twelve-page booklet and in digital formats. They’re not modernizing or stretching out into any trend or post-anything, just good ol’ death metal. The album includes a cover of “Baphomet’s Throne” from Samael’s ‘Ceremony of Opposites’. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Shadow Kingdom Records sets August 2nd as the international release date for the highly anticipated debut album of Finland’s EXCUSE, ‘Prophets From the Occultic Cosmos’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. Worshipers of violent speed/thrash metal of the mid-80’s this should be on your list if you gelled with their ‘Goddess Injustice’ EP back in 2016. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Arizona-based experimental dark folk outfit SONORAN REBEL BLACK MAGICK, the solo venture of Lord Mantis and Avichi guitarist/vocalist Andrew Markuszewski, is releasing its debut album ‘True Western Doom‘ on June 21 via New Density. Would normally overlook this sort of side-project but I found the song compellingly alien, dark and avoidant. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- French stoner-doom rock act FIEND have released a video for “Morning Star” off of their December 2018 full-length ‘Seeress’. It’s a trip, and hey if you’re planning on seeing Tool on their European tour soon, Fiend will be opening for them on most dates. Check out the video here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Mani In Faccia Promotion is pleased to present ‘Collapse//Rebirth‘, new album by Portland, Oregon based d-beat/neocrust/dark hardcore combo WRETCHED OF THE EARTH. The LP is due to be released on June 20th via legendary Italian DIY label Shove Records. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Polish avant-garde black metal duo MISANTHROPIC RAGE have readied their third full-length, “Towards the Greyscale Aphorysm” that is scheduled for a release on June 6th 2019 as standard jewel case CD with a twelve-page booklet and in digital formats through Godz Ov War Productions. Their statements suggest an examination of the black and white, binary world that we live in today and how important shades of grey (much less color) is vital. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Staying true to the ways of old, German black metal act TOTAL HATE is preparing to release its fourth full-length album ‘Throne Behind A Black Veil’, due out August 2nd from Eisenwald. As always their focus is the second wave of black metal at its purest and most violent. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Sun & Moon Records sets June 25th as the international release date for a long-overdue reisue of ABYSMAL GRIEF‘s classic debut EP, ‘Mors Eleison‘, on CD format for the first time ever. Why should you care? It has a great Paul Chain cover! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- “The tastiest and the grimmest of event of Raleigh, North Carolina’s summer, MEDIUM WELL IN HELL returns August 3rd, 2019 for its fifth year of blackened meat and metal at The Maywood. Featuring twelve incredible bands and an array of vendors, this year promises to be one for the record books.” [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Japan’s mind-boggling dark hardcore roar FRIENDSHIP returns with their latest album, ‘Undercurrent‘, set for vinyl release through Southern Lord on June 14th. A total grinder so far with tons of low end and early 90’s hardcore punch. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- “With the June 7 release of their debut full-length “Conjure The Storm” fast approaching, the Missouri-based extreme blackened death group NEVALRA has unveiled a video for the album’s powerful title track, which features guest vocals by Andres Vargas (Thy Antichrist). The clip – designed by Ryan Vincent M – can be seen at this location:” [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions sets August 16th as the international release date for German black metal band REIGN IN BLOOD‘s long-awaited comeback album, ‘Missa Pro Defunctis’, on CD and vinyl LP format. The track they’ve uploaded has that fuckin’ insane late first/early second wave black metal feeling: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Richmond, Indiana band WOLFTOOTH have signed with Ripple Music and a reissue of their Cursed Tongue Records debut will be released on June 21st, 2019 through Ripple Music on CD and worldwide digital. Hugely underrated album and here’s hoping this means more music is coming. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- “Sentient Ruin is honored to release ‘Hell Storms Over Earth‘, the brand new ultimate and final compendium of long lost and unreleased songs from San Francisco’s legendary industrial/death metal/crust cult DEPRESSOR, remastered, re-packaged and elevated to the status of audio/visual shrine in honor of one of the heaviest and most elusive and visionary underground American punk/metal bands of our times.” …and Yeah, have had a blast listening to this retrospective! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Helldprod Records sets June 14th as the international release date for ACOITE‘s striking debut album, ‘Açoite‘, on cassette tape format. They rip you down towards Hell! A death/thrash band from Brazil who are raw and just murderous with their sound. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Transcending Obscurity Records have announced August 30th as the release date for the latest full-length from death/sludge metal band WARCRAB. ‘Damned in Endless Night’ sounds pretty good, on par with their first album’s heaviness but goes a bit harder and darker. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions sets August 23rd as the international release date for Austrian black metallers HAGZISSA‘s debut album, ‘They Ride Along’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. If you’re a fan of eastern European black metal of the early 90’s there is a gem waiting therein! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Excuse, Darkthrone, Denial of God, NRVK, Abysmal Grief, Açoite, Chronoform, Thenighttimeproject, Undoer, Wolftooth, Victims, Mouth, Friendship and a few more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (5/25/19 – 5/31/19)
TenTwenty From the Tomb 5/27/19: Omnikinesis through phytochemistry.
- This week I did mini-reviews for twenty albums instead of ten as I wanted to really cover a lot of the great heavy psych, stoner metal, stoner rock, stoner doom and heavy blues rock that I’d been sent so far this year. Not much of a stoner myself anymore but I still love the music.
- Must hear: Giant Dwarf, Asthma Castle, Valley of the Sun, & Dune Sea.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #22: Assorted Heap (Germany) 1987-1992
- Assorted Heap didn’t leave a huge crater when they disappeared in 1993. They’d surely made a bit splash when they were active, though as they’d really been on the cutting edge touring with several bands that’d get huge beside them with similar style. If you’re a fan of Pestilence, Atrocity (Germany), and brutal thrash in general there are two obscure but incredibly accomplished death-thrashers waiting to be discovered in their discography!
- Next week (6/4) will feature Finnish death/thrashers Protected Illusion.
- Metal of the Month: May’s Finest 15 Releases (2019)
- Whoa! What a month, again! Some of my favorite bands of the last decade put out their best albums to date and I have been completely overwhelmed by the greatness that I am witnessing. I’ve included some noise rock and psychedelic rock as well, not for the sake of variety but because I choose these ‘Top 15’ lists every month entirely based off of what was the damned best thing I heard that stuck with me.
- Includes: Lord Vicar, Krypts, Deathspell Omega, Ares Kingdom, Spirit Adrift, Pulver, Misþyrming, Thronehammer, Florida Man, Funeral Storm, USA Nails, Zig Zags, Entrapment, Helheim, Dreamtime.
- Extra special mentions for: Cenotafio, Kaleidobolt, Malum and Haunt.
REVIEWS: A week spent catching up with last weeks reviews in full and then getting pretty hung up on the brilliant black metal we were served at the end of the month. Verwoed, Vortex of End, Domgard, Malum, and Darkthrone have all been fighting for my attention as I tried to give deeper attention to Funeral Storm and Deathspell Omega. Check those out too, and wait for the reviews that’ll eventually come for the rest.
- Nocturnus A.D. – Paradox (2019) REVIEW
- Rancorous – Stealth Dominion (2019) REVIEW
- Dreadnought – The Light Shalt Be Ungiven (2019) REVIEW
- Filtheater – Blight of Sempiternal Putrefaction (2019) REVIEW
- Death Angel – Humanicide (2019) REVIEW
- Encoffination – We Proclaim Your Death, O’ Lord (2019) REVIEW
- Nattfog – Pohjan Porteilta [Compilation] (2019) REVIEW
- Funeral Storm – Arcane Mysteries (2019) REVIEW
- Deathspell Omega – The Furnaces of Palingenesia (2019) REVIEW
- Caustic Vomit – Festering Odes to Deformity (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (6/3/19): Pestilent Death, Kaleidobolt, and Crestfallen Queen.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- NOTE: NW Terror Fest ruled, but couldn’t make it to Night #2!
- THE RUINS OF BEVERAST w/Dispirit, Nightfell 6/11/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- POISON IDEA w/The Derelicts, Acid Teeth and Victims Panel 6/13/19 @ Jazzbones – Tacoma, WA
- SUPERSTITION 7/05/2019 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
- ACID KING w/Wizard Rifle, Warish 9/21/19 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (5/25/19 – 5/31/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MALUM – Legion [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- DARKTHRONE – Old Star [Peaceville Records] BLACK/HEAVY METAL
- COLD KINGDOM – Into the Black Sky [Self-Released] HARD ROCK
- HEXENBRETT – Erste Beschwörung [Caligari Records] BLACKENED DOOM-ROCK
- ALCOTOPIA – It Hits the Spot [Narcoleptica Productions] SPEED/THRASH METAL
- PALE MISERY – Black Candles and Gutter Scum [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- VORTEX OF END – Ardens Fvror [Osmose Productions] BLACK METAL
- EVIL ANGEL – Unholy Evil Metal [Hells Headbangers] BLACK/THRASH METAL
- DEORC ABSIS – The Nothingness Transfiguration [Redefining Darkness Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- DOMGÅRD – Rót [Carnal Records] BLACK METAL
- DARKENHOLD / GRIFFON – Atra Musica [Les Acteurs de L’Ombre Productions] BLACK METAL
- BHLEG + NECHOCHWEN – [Nordvis] FOLK METAL
- HELLISH GRAVE – Hell No Longer Waits [Helldprod Records] BLACK/SPEED METAL
- KALEIDOBOLT – Bitter [Svart Records] HEAVY PSYCH
- VANANIDR – Road North [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
- VANANIDR – Vananidr [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL Reissue
- SACRED SIN – Eye M God [Lusitanian Music] DEATH METAL
- K.F.R. – Demonologue [Purity Through Fire] EXPERIMENTAL BLACK METAL
- K.F.R. – L’enfer à sa source [Purity Through Fire] EXPERIMENTAL BLACK METAL
- FRANCIS ROBERTS – Guardian Beast Sleeps [Akashic Envoy Records] DUNGEON SYNTH
- HELLGOAT – Death Conquers All [Boris Records] BLACK METAL Reissue
- NAMELESS VOID – Nameless Void [Grey Matter Productions/Xenoglossy Productions] BLACK METAL
- CONCILIVM – The Veiled Enigma [Dawning Septic Productions] DEATH METAL
- MEUCHELMORD – Waffenträger [Purity Through Fire] BLACK METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (6/1/19 – 6/7/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- VINGULMORK – Avgrunn [Crime Records] BLACK METAL
- TURBOCHARGED – Above Lords, Below Earth [GFY Productions] METALPUNK
- PYTHON – Astrological Warfare [The AJNA Offensive/AnnapurnA] DOOM METAL*
- SNOGG – Chhinnamasta [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- DAEMONI – Black Tyrant [Goathorned Productions] BLACK DEATH METAL
- KINGDOM – Rotten Carcass Arise Upon the Burial Mound [Godz ov War Productions] DEATH METAL*
- MISANTHROPIC RAGE – Towards the Greyscale Aphorysm [Godz ov War Productions] BLACK METAL*
- HEREZA – Death Metal Drunks [Godz ov War Productions] DEATH METAL
- DEATH HAWKS – Psychic Harmony [Svart Records] PSYCH ROCK
- FAERIE RING – The Clearing [King Volume Records] PSYCH ROCK
- SILVER DEVIL – Paralyzed [Ozium Records] STONER DOOM/FUZZ ROCK
- THE HYSS – Hound [Self-Released] STONER DOOM METAL*
- JESS BY THE LAKE – Under the Red Light Shine [Svart Records] OCCULT ROCK*
- ANCIENT HOSTILITY – Ancient Hostility[Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- MUTILATE – Contagium [Iron Bonehead Productions] DEATH METAL*
- ALASE – Vastaus [Inverse Records] ATMOSPHERIC ROCK/METAL?
- SOULLINE – The Deep [Profane Records] MELODIC DEATH METAL
- BARBARIAN – To No God Shall I Kneel [Hell’s Headbangers Records] SPEED/HEAVY METAL*
- PRIMITIVE MAN – Steel Casket [Crown and Throne Ltd.] SLUDGE/DEATH METAL
- HUMANART – (Further) Into the Depths [Self-Released] BLACK METAL
- FETID – Steeping Corporeal Mess [20 Buck Spin] DEATH METAL*
- PELICAN – Nighttime Stories [Southern Lord] POST-METAL*
- GRAVEFIELDS – Embrace the Void [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH METAL
- DRIVING SLOW MOTION – Arda [Self-Released] POST-ROCK
- IAN BLURTON – Signals Through the Flames [Pajama Party] HEAVY PSYCH/ROCK
- INFERNAL CONJURATION – Infernale Metallum Mortis [Iron Bonehead Productions] DEATH METAL*
- DEPRESSOR – Hell Storms Over Earth [Sentient Ruin] CRUST/INDUSTRIAL/DEATH
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.