SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Brace yourself for the debut EP from Syracuse, New York black metal trio PESTIS INFEROS. ‘Beyond the Veil of Light’ will be released on June 24. The EP’s first single “Invoking the Sigil” marks the first of five ‘furious statements of blasphemous intent.’ Brutal black metal with a sort of Azarath vibe thanks to a very big triggered drum sound. Check out “Invoking the Sigil” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Nordvis Produktion announces June 28th as the international release date for a worldwide reissue of ZACHARY LUCKY‘s ‘The Ballad of Losing You’, a record showcasing his shift from folk towards English ballads and traditional country music. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Southern Lord announces the next CASPAR BRÖTZMANN MASSAKER reissues in the ongoing series, continuing with ‘Der Abend Der Schwarzen Folklore’ and ‘Koksofen’, now confirmed for release in July. The outfit will also be actively performing live this summer, including supporting Sunn O))) on tour in Europe. CASPAR BRÖTZMANN is one of the most unique and innovative guitarists of the last forty years. With his Berlin-based trio MASSAKER, he evolved a whole new autonomous approach to writing rock songs, starting from sounds that were widely considered ornamental if not detrimental “sonic waste,” such as shrieking feedback and droning overtones. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- French death metal band AD PATRES have just unleashed a (NSFW) music video for the song “Mechanical Enlightenment”, opening track of brand new album, ‘A Brief Introduction to Human Experiments’ released on February 8th through Xenocorp. Watch on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Nefarious Industries lifts the veil on a new split 7″ from two outer-boundary musical acts, SPACE MONKEY and FUCK YOUR BIRTHDAY. ‘Blow Out The Candles And Make A Split’ will see a 7″ vinyl release with one track from each band, while the digital version will feature an additional track from each band. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Edged Circle Productions sets September 13th as the international release date for ASAGRAUM‘s highly anticipated second album, ‘Dawn of Infinite Fire‘, on CD and vinyl LP formats. A cross-continental entity, Asagraum was founded in the autumn of 2015 by vocalist/guitarist Obscura, who was joined by drummer T. Kolsvart, to create pure Satanic black metal with the old-school feeling of the eternal ’90s greats and with dark psychedelic influences. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- DEVOURER have just joined Listenable Records for a multi-album deal and looks to record their debut full-length later this year. Forged in hell’s fire, November 2018 Singapore, by Shyaithan – Guitars (also from IMPIETY). DEVOUROR defines its sonic wrath arrogantly as ‘Bestial Deathcult Warfare’ with late 80s/early 90s influence from Possessed, Sarcofago, Necrovore, Blasphemy, Death, Sodom. DEVOUROR a band of veteran diehards with extensive back-grounds of over 25 long years of dedication and commitment raising the old glorious flag of unholy black/death. If you haven’t heard of them, the band’s debut ‘Slay For Satan’ EP was released on the 21st of January 2019 on Metal Zone Records. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Malta’s BEHEADED teamed up with Ultimate Guitar to present a guitar playthrough video for the recently released single “A Greater Terror”. The death metal band’s new album “Only Death Can Save You” is set to be released on June 14th via Agonia Records. Watch the band’s guitarist Simone Brigo perform the playthrough at this link: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Hells Headbanger’s Records sets June 28th as the international release date for SCUMRIPPER‘s highly anticipated debut album, ‘All Veins Blazing‘, on CD, vinyl LP, and cassette tape formats. Hailing from Finland, Scumripper formed in 2015 and promptly recorded their first demo. Self-titled, that first demo would be issued by Hells Headbangers in 2017 on 7″ vinyl format. The upcoming debut LP attempts to build upon the band’s sound on the demo and stretch far beyond. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Willowtip Records welcomes Canadian tech-death band GOMORRAH to its roster. The deal will see Willowtip re-issue the band’s highly-acclaimed self-titled album on vinyl, CD and digital formats. Released March 22, 2019, ‘Gomorrah’ is the band’s second full-length and produced by Hannes Grossmann (Hate Eternal, Blotted Science). Video for album track “Frailty” at on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- In the wake of the shameful collapse of PledgeMusic, e-commerce and fulfillment company BANDWEAR was left with heavy losses due to several large contracts unpaid. As a result Bandwear are encouraging PledgeMusic artists to recover all date from their campaigns and now offering to rebuild any in-process crowd-funding campaigns and/or online stores for free. For inquiries on how Bandwear can help artists and bands dealing with the turmoil and chaos left by the crash of PledgeMusic, or looking to launch a new campaign, please contact Jim Cocke at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 214-473-4532. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Kaleidoscopic Finnish synth rock enigmas DEATH HAWKS reveal the new video “Re-Run.” The track hails from highly anticipated fourth album, ‘Psychic Harmony’, set for international release on June 7th via Svart Records. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Dying Victims Productions announces July 8th as the international release date for HEMISFERIO‘s highly anticipated debut album, ‘Anacronía‘, on CD format. Hailing from the cult metal hotbed of Chile, Hemisferio have been prodigiously perfecting their iron-clad craft since 2015. Their style is an infectious blend of early 80’s heavy metal scenes worldwide, from rousing European had rock/heavy metal to the peak of NWOBHM songwriting. Watch for this one if you’re a trad metal junkie. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Swedish melodic death/doom metal band OCTOBER TIDE release third and last single from their forthcoming album “In Splendor Below”, due out on May 17th via Agonia Records. The song is titled “Ögonblick Av Nåd”, it’s written in Swedish, and it’s available as a music video directed by Wizworks Studios. Watch the video at this link: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- “Consumed Periphery,” the new single from cult Pacific Northwest US death metal outfit FETID, is now streaming through 20 Buck Spin, alongside pre-orders for the band’s horrifying debut ‘Steeping Corporeal Mass’ on LP, CD, and digital platforms June 7th. FETID has also begun announcing tour dates in support of the new album. Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Greg Wilkinson (Necrot, Vastum, Ulthar) and wrapped in grim artwork by Daniel Hermosilla, FETID’s Steeping Corporeal Mess promises to be one of the most decimating LP’s of the death metal genre this year. Slippery, seductive, and very filthy! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Canadian speed metallers APHRODITE have inked a deal with Fighter Records for the release of their debut album “Lust And War”. Set for international release on July 9th, 2019 on CD and 12″ LP. Formed in the second half of 2018, APHRODITE is the result of a collective effort between the creative minds of ICE WAR’s Jo Steel “Capitalicide” – who wrote the music -, Heidi Stockdale developed the lyrical concept which revolves around Greek Mythology, Yan Turbo from COLORSFADE was brought in to craft and thicken the lead guitars, and after numerous tryouts with different vocalists, Tanza Speed – her trademark voice can be heard in other acts such as DEMONA or OUTLINE – was chosen. Stream the track “Hades in the Night” on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Dying Victims Productions announces July 8th as the international release date for a brand-new EP from SPIKER, ‘Heavy Metal Macht’, on CD, 12″ vinyl, and cassette tape formats. ‘Heavy Metal Macht’ is indeed pure German metal thunder! No thrash, no speed, just simple (and simply stunning) HEAVY METAL brewed in the cauldrons of old, all delivered in Spiker’s mother tongue, as a nod to the old GDR metal bands that also sang in German. “Der rock der’s bright”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Undisputed kings of the grindcore underworld, PHOBIA return with a devastating new track titled “Internet Tough Guy,” taken from the band’s upcoming 7th album ‘Generation Coward’. After nearly 30 years of grinding skulls into dust, PHOBIA are still as pissed-off and lethal as ever. Willowtip Records will release the album August 9th on CD, LP and digital. Stream “Internet Tough Guy” here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Fetid, Xentrix, Phobia, Birdflesh, Vomit Angel, Hemisferio, Disowning, Scumripper, Crom Dubh, AHRM, Dreadnought (Poland), Ontborg, Beaten by Hippies, and a few more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (5/11/19 – 5/17/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 5/13/19: Old bones draped in new flesh.
- This weeks list was meant to simply focus on classic death metal throwbacks but I found that many of the records I’d been sent were throwbacks to the brutal death metal of the early 2000’s and well, a lot of the musicians in those bands were active in the 90’s and early 00’s to begin with.
- The one album I think most people will be surprised by is Grimoire de Occulte, it simply rules. Hedonihil and Syrictus kick ass too!
- Thrash ‘Til Death #20: Revenant (United States) 1986-1995
- Why are Revenant such a big deal? I guess folks have spent the last thirty years randomly discovering this semi-technical death/thrash metal band because of their early years that’d featured the juggernauts responsible for Incantation and Profanatica. Beyond that their debut album stands on its own, if nothing else give it a serious listen. Especially if you’re a fan of Ripping Corpse, Sadistic Intent and early Morbid Angel.
REVIEWS: Another truly fantastic week for new heavy metal releases where there are easily 10-20 more albums released today that I’ll try to review in the near future, and stil plenty more from last week that’ll get caught up with. Epic doom, classic black metal, NWOBHM influenced kings, Ozzy influenced rock, melodic black metal, mutating blasphemy, powerful depression, Norse spirituality, and mastery of the riff all featured this week. A bit more in-depth front to back but I feel like you could listen to all of these records and feel something powerful.
- Altar of Oblivion – The Seven Spirits (2019) REVIEW
- Deathwomb – Moonless Night Sacraments (2019) REVIEW
- Pulver – Kings Under the Sand (2019) REVIEW
- Délétère – Theovorator Babelis Testamentum (2019) REVIEW
- Haunt – If Icarus Could Fly (2019) REVIEW
- Lvcifyre – Sacrament (2019) REVIEW
- October Tide – In Splendor Below (2019) REVIEW
- Helheim – Rignir (2019) REVIEW
- Ares Kingdom – By the Light of Their Destruction (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (5/20/19): Thronehammer, Idle Hands, and possibly Cenotafio and Age of the Wolf.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- Northwest Terror Fest 5/30/2019 – 6/1/2019 – Seattle, WA [Cirith Ungol, Spirit Adrift, Inter Arma, Thantifaxath, Wayfarer, etc.]
- POISON IDEA w/The Derelicts, Acid Teeth and Victims Panel 6/13/19 @ Jazzbones – Tacoma, WA
- SUPERSTITION 7/05/2019 @ Highline – Seattle, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (5/11/19 – 5/17/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- VOËMMR – O ovnh intot adr mordrb [Harvest of Death/Signal Rex] RAW BLACK METAL
- IRONGUARD – ‘Towards Victory’ [Heathen Tribes] HEAVY METAL
- ÓREIÐA – Óreiða [Signal Rex] ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL, some of the most subtle nuances I’ve ever heard in a post-black/atmospheric black metal record. The full listen is almost drone metallic in its progressions.
- UNGOLIANTHA – The Howl in the Waste [Self-Released] SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL
- STARLESS DOMAIN – Eos [Pacific Threnodies] BLACK METAL, a single track that become the full album from this cosmic black metal project. It is experimental music yet still highly listenable. A single hour long track will take a long time to absorb, though.
- HEATHE – On The Tombstones, The Symbols Engraved [Wolves and Vibrancy Records] HEAVY ROCK/DOOM, Great first impression but yet another victim of a packed release schedule due to its length and investment needed.
- V/A – Doombanomicon [Black Doomba Records] SLUDGE/DOOM METAL, Tommy Stewart (Hallow’s Eve, Negative Wall) curates a group of thirteen tracks from thirteen bands within the realm of doom and sludge for this Black Doomba Records compilation.
- VALE OF PNATH – Accursed [Willowtip Records] TECH-DEATH METAL, This band has shifted slowly towards a blackened form of technical death metal that isn’t really my specialty, so I’d hesitated to review it. I do like this EP in general, though and would recommend it. Pretty tight live band, also.
- NECROSEXUAL – The Gory Hole Overture In F# [Self-Released] HEAVY PETTING METAL*
- PYTHIA – The Solace of Ancient Earth [Golden Axe] SYMPHONIC METAL, A bombastic, earthen symphonic power metal album that is just nowhere near my wheelhouse.
- DEPRAVED MURDER – Manifestation [Comatose Music] BRUTAL DEATH METAL, Modern brutal death from this thuggin’ Indonesian crew. Always expect the brutalist shit from Comatose, and this is some of that early 00’s style brought up to modern speed.
- CALYX – Vientos Arcaicos [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL, Ancient black metal that almost has a mid-era Absu vibe to it, a fantastic album.
- VONNIS – Bikini Season [Hypertension Records] BLACKENED HARDCORE*A Ghent, Belgium based band with no boundaries, from black metal riffs to harsh sludge grooves and all with a hardcore state of mind.
- GLASSING – Spotted Horse [Brutal Panda Records] POST-BLACK METAL
- AGE OF THE WOLF – Ouroboric Trances [Aural Music] DOOM METAL* Love this album and man is it all over the place stylistically ranging from stoner doom, death sludge, and various combinations of each. From Sleep to Pallbearer and Samothrace and sometimes within the same song.
- PRAG 83 – Énouement [Nordvis] NEOFOLK, Excellent EP from this hugely underrated artist.
- K-X-P – IV [Svart Records] KOSMISCHE MUSIK, Finnish psych lords putting out their finest kraut jam yet.
- EYE OF THE DESTROYER – Baptized in Pain [Self-Released] SLAM/DEATH METAL, Everything this New Jersey brutal death/slam/beatdown band have been leading up to until this point bursts on this huge collection of moshable songs. The genre isn’t my thing but I’ve enjoyed most of their EPs so far, still need to sit down with this one.
- DEAD SEA APES – The Free Territory [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIA
- ENCOFFINATION – We Proclaim Your Death O’ Lord [Selfmadegod] DEATH METAL* The fourth album from Encoffination somehow manages to be their filthiest, most fucked up blasphemic rip through the void yet. It just needs more time to sink in.
- DREAMTIME – Tidal Mind [Cardinal Fuzz] KOSMISCHE/PSYCH ROCK, Memorable and incredibly varied piece from these psychedelic shapeshifters.
- SAINT VITUS – Saint Vitus [Season of Mist] DOOM METAL*, Haven’t received this yet as I didn’t get a promo and bought it. I will love it because ‘Die Healing’ is among my top 10 favorite metal albums and Scott Reagers is the absolute best.
- BETHLEHEM – Lebe Dich Leer [Prophecy Productions] EXPERIMENTAL DARK METAL, Would rather get a Dornenreich album at this point but this will do for now.
UPCOMING RELEASES (5/18/19 – 5/24/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- GOREGANG – Neon Graves [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH METAL
- CORONARY – Demo [Heathen Tribes] HEAVY METAL
- ATALA – The Bearer of Light [Salt of the Earth Records] STONER DOOM METAL
- KNEEL – Interstice [Pulmonary Records] PROG-DEATH METAL
- KVAL – Laho [Hypnotic Dirge Records] ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL
- PESTILENT DEATH – Chapters of Depravity [Blood Harvest Records] DEATH METAL
- IRATA – Tower [Small Stone Recordings] HEAVY PSYCH/ROCK
- MARTYRDÖD – Hexhammaren [Southern Lord/Century Media] CRUST PUNK
- ENCHANTYA – On Light and Wrath [Inverse Records] GOTHIC PROG METAL
- ADRENALINE – Adrenaline [Flatspot Records] HARDCORE PUNK
- ABRAHMA – In Time for the Last Rays of Light [Deadlight Records] HEAVY ROCK
- THONIAN HORDE – Downfall [Grimoire Records] BLACK N’ ROLL
- NIHILITY – Thus Spoke the Antichrist [Black Lion Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL
- THE MYRRORS – Curved Entrances [Cardinal Fuzz] PSYCHEDELIA
- SAINT MARIE DES LOUPS – s/t [Amor Fati Productions] BLACK METAL
- BIRTH – Birth [Cardinal Fuzz] IMPROVISATIONAL PSYCH
- DIAMOND HEAD – The Coffin Train [Silver Lining Music] HEAVY METAL
- WIDOWER – Cataclysmic Sorcery [Black Market Metal] BLACK/THRASH METAL
- NOCTURNUS A.D. – Paradox [Profound Lore] DEATH METAL
- H.C. SLIM – Sings [Svart Records] ???
- PLASTIC – Drink Sensibly [Self-Released] HARD ROCK
- FOUL – Of Worms… [Chaos Records] DEATH/DOOM METAL
- CRESTFALLEN QUEEN – Queen of Swords [Church Within Records] PROGRESSIVE BLACKENED ROCK
- BLACK MOLD – Tales of Degradation [Helldprod Records] BLACK METAL
- INHUMAN NATURE – Inhuman Nature [Self-Released] CROSSOVER HARDCORE
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
If you appreciate what you've read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.