SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Italy’s AIRBORN announced that they’ll feature on the first-ever tribute album dedicated to German power metal legends Gamma Ray, entitled ‘Cosmic Rayz‘, with a ther version of “Gardens Of The Sinner” (From ‘Power Plant‘, 1999). The tracklist includes ten songs from underground bands from Europe, North America and Australia including: Ice War, Black Phantom, Silent Knight and more. The record will be released in May via Hungary’s Burning Sun Records and will initially only be a collectible cassette tape. A sample video preview is online at: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Dutch black metal sect VERWOED finally introduces their first full-length album,‘De Val’, to be released on vinyl May 10th, 2019 through Argento [Europe], Sentient Ruin [North America] and Tartarus for cassettes. This full-length serves as “a hymn to the fallen one, breaking free from all things familiar and safe in a seemingly never ending search for divine truth.” [Preview track on DECIBEL’s website, Google it]
- “Perfectly matching with a New Anniversary of the crucifixion of the Son of DOG…. we are pleased to share with you that our debut demo – HELLAVENGER ‘Lord of the Burning Abyss’ – will be released on professional tape format limited to 100 copies under the US metal label Morbid Metal Records which has announced release by the end of May of this year. Hellavenger is the project of ex-Communion/Deathwards vocalist Hellavenger, focusing on primordial black metal music. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions sets July 19th as the international release date for CULT OF EXTINCTION‘s debut album, ‘Ritual in the Absolute Absence of Light’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. The force known as Cult of Extinction was evoked from the abyss in 2017 by sole member Void. Influenced by bands like Revenge, Blasphemy, and Proclamation, the goal was to create a merciless onslaught of pitch-black war metal with a mystical and eerie atmosphere. IBP doesn’t usually do war metal unless they rip, so check out this first preview: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- April 22nd marked the release of Bay Area progressive/technical death metal band INANIMATE EXISTENCE‘s third and final single/video before the release of their fifth studio album ‘Clockwork’. It is undoubtedly their finest work to date and a worthy follow up to their previous masterpiece ‘Underneath a Melting Sky’. Watch “Desert” here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- German death metallers ABYTHIC have signed a contract with Xtreem Music for the release of their second album, ‘Conjuring the Obscene’, which is to be released beyond this summer. Recorded at the Flashback Recordings studios under the direction of T.S., the drummer from Suffocate Bastards, who also performs drums ont he album. The album is high-concept and divided into four chapters. For each chapter a different vocalist performs, equipment changes along with style which ranges from classic Swedish and Finnish death metal and black/death metal, as they cite early Grave, Necrophobic, and Demigod along with a final chapter dedicated to Florida death metal a la Deicide. Guitarist (also prior drummer) MDB suggests that the album will also feature members of Reckless Manslaughter, Selfdevoured, Anam, Ingurgitating Oblivion and Suffocate Bastard. Sounds like it’ll be an epic ride! Listen to their previous album here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Mike Browning‘s NOCTURNUS A.D. unleashes the second single, “The Antechamber”, from their upcoming direct sequel to 1990’s legendary ‘The Key’ from Nocturnus. Browning (ex-Nocturnus, After Death, Morbid Angel, Acheron) comments: “‘The Antechamber’ was the first NOCTURNUS A.D. song that we wrote, and … pick[s] up where “Empire Of The Sands” left off. Back in 1991, we had purposely faded out the last song, ‘Empire Of The Sands,’ on The Key purposely so that we could continue with the story on the second album. But that never happened so now, with ‘The Antechamber,’ Dr. Magus discovers a hidden chamber under the left paw of The Sphinx that contains ancient alien machinery that is powered by The Key and discover what happens when The Portal is opened!” ‘Paradox’ releases on Profound Lore Records on May 24th! Here’s hoping they re-record those 1993 EP tracks at some point. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- 20 Buck Spin announced the impending debut LP from New Mexico-based death metal entity SUPERSTITION (members of Vanum, Predatory Light) confirming ‘The Anatomy Of Unholy Transformation’ for worldwide release on June 21st. Along with the album’s details and cover art, the label has issued an early single, “Highly Attuned Beasts Of The Dark.” Not only does that drum sound slap but, they’ve got a string of hot-trotter July tour dates on both the West and East Coasts, they’ll be jammin’ with labelmates Tomb Mold on the East coast! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- “The Hardship Of The Scots” is the second preview track being launched ahead of release of DARKTHRONE‘s latest studio album ‘Old Star’ to give fans a taster of what’s to come May 31st through Peaceville. This one again centers around a few big heavy metal riffs, focusing on classic 80’s metal/heavy rock vibe and filtered through Darkthrone’s own black metal freakery. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Epic heavy metal goes head-to-head with blazing Scandinavian black metal on LUNAR SHADOW’s firebrand sophomore effort, ‘The Smokeless Fires’. The album will be released June 21 on Cruz Del Sur Music, seeking to push the boundaries of tradtional heavy metal while exploring themes of passion and ‘the human condition’. New vocalist Robert Röttig does a commendable job on the album! The first single “Hawk of the Hills” is now streaming: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions sets July 19th as the international release date for VOMIT ANGEL‘s debut album, ‘Imprint of Extinction’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. Vomit Angel was formed in 2014 as a solo-project by Necrodevil (ex-Sadomator / Sadogoat). The plan was to do some bestial black/death metal in the vein of Sadomator since that band was more or less defunct by that point, their sound would soon evolve towards a deeper grinding mania than expected! Putrefied and gaseous as hell! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
New Haven, Connecticut stoner/doom metal band PINTO GRAHAM have released their song “Southern Superstitions” for streaming via Bandcamp. The song is from their upcoming album ‘Dos’ which will be released July 12th. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- ROGGA JOHANSSON (Paganizer, Down Among The Dead Men, Revolting, Echelon) and Transcending Obscurity Records announce his second ‘solo’ album under his full name. You guessed it, he’s at it again with another old school Swedish death metal record entitled ‘Entrance to the Otherwhere’ slated for release July 19th. The Amott-era Carcass-meets-Bolt Thrower opener is pretty good and now up on bandcamp: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions sets August 2nd as the international release date for THE RITE‘s debut mini-album, ‘The Brocken Fires’, on CD and 12″ vinyl format. The Rite formed between A.Th (Black Oath) and Ustumallagam (Denial Of God) with the goal of playing morbid black metal influenced by iconic bands like Mercyful Fate, Death SS, Celtic Frost, Samael etc. SoundCloud preview: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- LORD VICAR‘s fourth album ‘The Black Powder’ is already shaping up to be the doom metal highlight of 2019 with a slight return to their dreary, nuclear heaviness on ‘Fear No Pain’. To prove it to you, you paranoid mutant, here is a quick and brutally damning smack upon all existence with “Impact”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Chaos Records is very proud to announce a new collaboration/signing with the Swedish death metal veterans CARNAL SAVAGERY to release their upcoming debut album late this year. CARNAL SAVAGERY was formed 2017 by Mikael Lindgren and Henrik Jansson. They played together before in a cult band called CROMLECH between 1988-1994. During the time they released a few demos that actually became well known in the underground scene but not much came of it. They’d demoed several songs in January of this year and a full-length is on its way. Check out one of the demo tracks here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Nocturnus A.D., Encoffination, The Shrine, Slomatics, Lunar Shadow, Thonian Horde, Forlet Sires, Suspiral, Vonnis, and tons more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (4/20/19 – 4/26/19)
- RE-ANIMATION: 20 Albums Left for Dead in 2018
- This list replaced Ten From the Tomb this week and it featured twenty records that were left behind, didn’t get promoted until later, or that had requested coverage that didn’t fit into my own schedule. They’re not all good, but the point of the list was to empty my backlog of all 2018 records. Highlights are mostly black metal: Iskandr, Entropia, Negativa, Morgul, Genuflexión
- Thrash ‘Til Death #17: Dead Head (Netherlands) 1989-1993
- Yep, few people remember this band (or at least mention them) and as I predicted very few people clicked on this article. I love their stuff, especially that second album even if it is a bit of an outlier in their discography. Next week I’ll be covering Num Skull (United States).
REVIEWS: A fairly broad spread of releases this week between black, sludge, death, death/thrash, black/thrash, epic heavy, noise rock etc.
- Siculicidium – A halál és az iránytű [Vinyl] (2019) REVIEW
- Lord Dying – Mysterium Tremendum (2019) REVIEW
- Putrevore / Grim Fate – Split [Vinyl] (2019) REVIEW
- Devoid of Thought – Cosmic Apoptosis (2019) REVIEW
- Dead to a Dying World – Elegy (2019) REVIEW
- Protector – Summon the Hordes (2019) REVIEW
- Vargrav – Reign in Supreme Darkness (2019) REVIEW
- Nocturnal Witch – A Thousand Pyres (2019) REVIEW
- Florida Man – Tropical Depression (2019) REVIEW
- Smoulder – Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (4/29/19): Chevalier, Istapp, Defecrator, & maybe Altar of Oblivion if I’ve the chance to sit with it a few more times.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- BRAINOIL 5/04/2019 Highline – Seattle, WA w/ Bell Witch, Fetid
- Northwest Terror Fest 5/30/2019 – 6/1/2019 – Seattle, WA [Spirit Adrift, Inter Arma, Thantifaxath, Wayfarer, etc.]
- GREAT FALLS 5/03/2019 Substation – Seattle, WA w/ Sourvein, -(16)-
- THE WELL 05/10/2019 Seattle, WA @ Substation
- LORD DYING w/ Year Of The Cobra 5/08/2019 Substation – Seattle, WA
- POISON IDEA w/The Derelicts, Acid Teeth and Victims Panel 6/13/19 @ Jazzbones – Tacoma, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (4/20/19 – 4/26/19)
NOTE: This small sample includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- BROWN ACID: The Eighth Trip [RidingEasy Records] HEAVY PSYCH, Somehow I missed the seventh trip? Going to take my time with this one, it deserves some patience.
- NIGHNACHT – Christophilia [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK/DEATH METALPUNK, Don of the Dead from Nunslaughter’s solo 7″ as we wait for more of their material. Ripping as you’d expect it to be!
- BAT – Axestacy [Hell’s Headbangers Records] SPEED METAL
- ALTAR OF OBLIVION – The Seven Spirits [Shadow Kingdom Records] EPIC DOOM METAL*
- ISTAPP – The Insidious Star [Trollzorn Records] MELODIC BLACK METAL*
- CHEVALIER – Destiny Calls [Gates of Hell Records] EPIC SPEED METAL*
- DE LIRIUM’S ORDER – Singularity [Inverse Records] TECH-MELODEATH*
- OSSUAIRE – Premiers Chants [Sepulchral Productions] BLACK METAL
- VAURA – Sables [Profound Lore Records] POST-PUNK, A compelling outside-the-box gothic rock album from members of Kayo Dot, Tombs, and Gorguts.
- FILTHEATER – Blight of Sempiternal Putrefaction [Memento Mori] DEATH METAL, Savage old school death metal, the olden days equivalent of caverncore but with riffs. All of this from one guy, who has been in just about a hundred bands so far.
- VIGILANCE – Enter the Endless Abyss [Dying Victims Productions] BLACK/THRASH, Always listen to everything Dying Victims puts out! It’ll thrash hard, guaranteed.
- ÁRSTíðIR LíFSINS – Saga á tveim tungum I: Vápn ok viðr [April 26th] PAGAN BLACK METAL, A huge pagan metal album that’ll take more time to absorb.
- MARIANAS REST – Ruins [Inverse Records] MELODIC DEATH/DOOM
- SINNRS – Profound [Rockshots Records] SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL
- HYPOXIA – Abhorrent Disease [Selfmadegod Records] DEATH METAL, Brutal and savage death metal from New York featuring Monstrosity’s current vocalist.
- FUN – Death Star [Kaos Kontrol] NOISE/INDIE ROCK
- GUTLESS – Mass Extinction [Chaos Records] DEATH METAL*, Wretched and incredible death metal, still in the listening phase.
- MURG – Strävan [Nordvis Productions] BLACK METAL
- MOULIN BANAL – Le Rythme Du Maréchal Ferrant [Grey Matter Productions] BLACK METAL
- GEEZER – Spiral Fires [Vinyl] [Kosmik Artifactz] STONER/PSYCH ROCK, Vinyl version of these easygoing stoner rockers latest EP.
- LOST IN KIEV – Persona [Pelagic Records] POST-ROCK, A concept album featuring ultra modern post-metal, beautifully produced and performed.
- BLYH – Awake to Emptiness [April 26] BLACK METAL
- EMBALMER – Embalmed Alive [Hell’s Headbangers Records] DEATH METAL* A set of live in studio re-recordings of Embalmer’s best songs encompassing their entire history (since about ’90, I think). Classic brutal USDM and their next full-length is coming soon too.
- WALKING BOMBS / GRIDFAILURE – Suicide by Citizenship [Nefarious Industries] NOISE, Still trying to catch up with this prolific harsh/experimental noise artist’s stuff, this one features some pretty well known names in collaboration.
- THE WELL – Death and Consolation [RidingEasy Records] HEAVY PSYCH/DOOM METAL*
- NORSEMEN – Bloodlust [Time to Kill Records] DEATH METAL, A catchy take on older Amon Amarth and maybe some hints of later Thyrfing too.
- LORD MATZIGKEITUS – From the Many Splintered Minds [Appalachian Noise Records] BLACK METAL
- FORLET SIRES – Holy [Cruel Bones Records] DOOM METAL, An epic and somewhat melodic modern doom metal album with nice Adam Burke cover artwork and a very dark set of themes to match.
UPCOMING RELEASES (4/27/19 – 5/03/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles are already reviewed and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- CLOUDS TASTE SATANIC – Evil Eye [Kinda Like Music/Self-Released] INSTRUMENTAL POST-DOOM
- DEIPHAGO – I, the Devil [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK/DEATH METAL*
- BLOODLUST – Black Mass [Iron, Blood & Death Corp.] SPEED METAL
- MURDRYCK – Födelsen [Leviaphonic Records] BLACK METAL
- NORDEN – Z Popiołów i Krwi... [Casus Belli Musica] BLACK METAL
- THROAT – Decade of Passive Aggression 2009-2019 [Kaos Kontrol] NOISE ROCK
- AMIENSUS / OAK PANTHEON – Gathering I & II [Casus Belli Musica] BLACK METAL
- VERWUSTUNG – Gospel ov Fury [Handful of Hate] BLACK/THRASH
- MAVRADOXA – Nightmarrow [Hypnotic Dirge Records] BLACK METAL
- SINS OF THE DAMNED – Striking the Bell of Death [Shadow Kingdom Records] BLACK/THRASH/SPEED
- SORGELIG – Devoted to Nothingness [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- BASTARD DISCO – China Shipping [Antena Krzyku] ALT/NOISE ROCK
- MOS GENERATOR – Live [Devil’s Child Records] HEAVY ROCK
- SICK GAZELLE – Odum [War Crimes Recordings] JAM
- THE SHRINE – Cruel World [Eliminator Records] METALLIC SKATE PUNK*
- KAMPFAR – Ofidians Manifest [Indie Recordings] BLACK METAL*
- DUNE SEA – Dune Sea [All Good Clean Records] STONER/SPACE ROCK
- LORD VICAR – The Black Powder [Church Within Records] DOOM METAL*
- KOLLAPS – Mechanical Christ [Cold Spring Records] POST-INDUSTRIAL
- THRONEHAMMER – Usurper of the Oaken Throne [Church Within Records] EPIC HEAVY/DOOM METAL
- PA VESH EN – Cryptic Rites of Necromancy [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- APPALLING – Inverted Realm [Redefining Darkness Records] DEATH METAL
- BODY HARVEST – Parasitic Slavery [Comatose Music] DEATH METAL
- STELLAR MASTER ELITE – Hologram Temple [Unholy Conspiracy Deathwork] BLACKENED DOOM/DEATH
- SXUPERION – Endless Spiritual Embodiment [Bloody Mountain Records] DEATH METAL
- NYT LIV – Ensomhedens Kolde Kald [Indisciplinarian Records] MELODIC HARDCORE
- MOLLO RILLA – Mollo Rilla [Seeing Red Records] HARD ROCK
- TIME LURKER / CEPHIDE – Split [Les Acteurs de L’Ombre] BLACK METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
Support Grizzly Butts!
If you like what you read, please consider donating directly to PayPal or to my Patreon: patreon.com/GrizzlyButts