SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Les Acteurs De L’Ombre Productions will release, on May 31st, a split album between DARKENHÖLD and GRIFFON! Entitled ‘Atra Musica’ this eight song split LP pairs the savage with the fantastical in marrying an evening of tall tales and majestic medieval black metal glory. I am such a huge Darkenhold fan so I have already been spinning it all week! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Ukrainian Black metal band UNGOLIANTHA sets May 13th as an international release date for their highly anticipated brand new EP ‘The Howl in the Waste’. It’ll include five new tracks including a Lord Belial cover “Hymn of the Ancient Spirit of the Forest”. This song took me back to 1999 with its dramatic symphonic sound [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Keyboardist/Multi-Instrumentalist extraordinaire, JORDAN RUDESS, member of platinum-selling, Grammy-nominated band, DREAM THEATER, has announced details for his fourth annual Jordan Rudess Keyfest, which will be held May 30 – June 1 at Sweetwater Sound in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Register, meet some folks, and learn from the greats. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- US heavy/power metal legends CHASTAIN have released ‘1319’ which acts as both a retrospective of their (so far) five album reunion with original vocalist Leather Leone, as well as complete rearrangements for a ‘best of’ those five releases. The intention of this appears to be a bit of a modernization of their style. The album cover is garbage but I’m still interested to hear this reworking. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Sweden’s melodic death/doom metallers OCTOBER TIDE release second single from their anticipated new album “In Splendor Below”, set to be released on May 17th worldwide via Agonia Records. Sounds a bit darker, back to ‘Tunnel of No Light’ gloom, which I loved. Listen to the track “Our Famine”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Purity Through Fire sets May 31st as the international release date for the highly anticipated third album of Finland’s black metal force MALUM. ‘Legion’ will be released on CD and vinyl LP formats. The album art (R. Ärling) is pretty fuckin’ cool, too! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG’s long-awaited tenth studio album ‘New Organon‘ will see the light of day via Cruz Del Sur Music on June 14 in European territories and June 21 in North America. ‘New Organon’ also marks the recording debut of drummer Jeff Griffin (who split studio duties with John Dust) and joins Scalzi and longtime members Angelo Tringali (guitar) and Adrian Maestas (bass). They’ve stated that they took thier time with this one, focusing on their best work and it shows everywhere but the album cover. Hope they rethink that on later issues of it. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Following the highly successful release of their most recent studio album, ‘Faustian Nights’, on CD, Romanian Black Metallers ORDINUL NEGRU are now following up with its release on black vinyl format, too. This issue features new album art and layout. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Transcending Obscurity Records have announced the release of death metal band BURIAL REMAINS‘ debut full-length ‘Trinity of Deception’ for July 12th of this year. A recent formation between members of Boal, Grim Fate, Dimaeon, and featuring Fleshcrawl’s vocalist. Definitely has a huge sound, reminds me of Interment and early Amorphis a bit on this preview track: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- L.A. punk-metal trio ZIG-ZAGS shared another track from their fourth album ‘They’ll Never Take Us Alive’, the bands debut on RidingEasy Records is due out on May 10th and holy shit! This record rules. Listen to “Killer of Killers”: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Sepulchral Productions sets May 18th as the international release date for DELETERE‘s highly anticipated new mini-album, ‘Theovorator: Babelis Testamentum’. Hot on the heels of their celebrated 2018 album ‘De Horae Leprae’, Délétère slithers back from the abyss to unleash its latest blasphemy, a three-song 21-minute mini-album. Just previewed this today and no doubt it’ll impress and the conceptual story within is compelling. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions sets July 5th as the international release date for ARKHAAIK‘s striking debut album, ‘*dʰg̑ʰm̥tós’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. Arkhaaik is “the excavation of rites long forgotten, of primitive worship and ancient deities that ruled long before man dominated and soiled the earth. These sounds explore Europe’s bronze age and encompass the very essence of said rites that were extinct long ago..” Has some relation to Dhakma and Death.Void.Terror plus that logo is just amazing. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Indianapolis death metallers OBSCENE are entering Earth Analog Studios during the first weekend of June to begin recording their debut album, to be released later this year through the care of Blood Harvest Records. This is a highly anticipated release which follows up their Blood Harvest-released debut demo, ‘Sermon to the Snake’, which surged with a sinister stateliness of pure and total death metal classicism. Carl Byers (ex-Coffinworm), who also handled the production of Sermon to the Snake, will be engineering and mixing under the Clandestine Arts banner. Mastering will be done by Damian Herring (Horrendous) at Subterranean Watchtower Studios. Check out their demo in the meantime: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- From the Italian underground comes VULTURES VENGEANCE, a heavy epic metal quartet that defends the realm of the obscure on their first full-length album, ‘The Knightlore’. The album will be released May 10th on CD, vinyl, and digital formats via Gates of Hell Records. The second single from the album, the glorious title track “The Knightlore” is now up for preview: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Spirit Adrift, Diamond Head, Florida Man, Lvcifyre, Zig-Zags, Lord Weird Slough Feg, Hell Bent, Deletere, Burial Remains, Malum, Aima and tons more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (4/06/19 – 4/12/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 4/15/19: Caina, antenora, ptolomaea et judecca.
- A bunch of solid black metal, blackened death metal, and black/death metal hybrids that I kinda missed out on in March/February. I don’t think any of them are mind-blowing but these are the top of the heap of black metal I didn’t have time to cover or prioritize. I’ve noticed that when I cover black metal it gets little notice on social media (compared to death metal or doom) but the click-through is really high(er) and private feedback as well. Choice cuts: Heretical Sect, Sangue, Aoratos, and Malkhim.
- For next week Patreon Poll voters have decided they’d like me to review all 40 of the 2018 releases I have sitting in my backlog from last year. Fuck! Will be piecing that together most of Sunday.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #16: Vader (Poland) 1983-1992
- A solid, consistent and die-hard death/thrash metal band that began playing Slayer influenced brutal thrash and ruled the world a decade later. Vader were a ‘gateway’ band from heavy metal into extreme metal for folks in the late 90’s and early 2000’s and as a result there was a ton of response to my coverage of their first ten years. I love this era of the band as their demos and related side-projects give some insight into Poland’s extreme metal activity while still under the ‘iron curtain’.
- Next week is Dead Head (Netherlands) and for sure few people will click on it, but that band still rules today.
REVIEWS: A fucked up mix of metal records covered this week.
- Hath – Of Rot and Ruin (2019) REVIEW
- Decoherence – Decoherence [Vinyl] (2019) REVIEW
- Neolithic – Neolithic (2019) REVIEW
- Necrodeath – Defragments of Insanity (2019) REVIEW
- Bloodsoaked Necrovoid – The Apocryphal Paths of the Ancient 8th Vitriolic Transcendence (2019) REVIEW
- Inter Arma – Sulphur English (2019) REVIEW
- Dim Aura – The Triumphant Age of Death (2019) REVIEW
- Vitriol – Chrysalis (2019) REVIEW
- Doombringer – Walpurgis Fires (2019) REVIEW
- Sutekh Hexen – Sutekh Hexen (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (4/22/19): Lord Dying, Dead to a Dying World, Fatal Curse, None, & maybe Grand Magus if it is any good.
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019) REVIEW
- Yes, I review video games about once a month (or two) depending on how long they take to finish. Sekiro was a mild let-down for me personally, but it is an above average game. My rating system for video games is different than music as there are more variables to consider… I’m sure the review will seem overly harsh but hey, go beat the game and see how you feel afterwards.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- BRAINOIL 5/04/2019 Highline – Seattle, WA w/ Bell Witch, Fetid
- HORRENDOUS w/Of Feather and Bone 4/21/2019 The Highline – Seattle, WA
- Northwest Terror Fest 5/30/2019 – 6/1/2019 – Seattle, WA [Spirit Adrift, Inter Arma, Thantifaxath, Wayfarer, etc.]
- GREAT FALLS 5/03/2019 Substation – Seattle, WA w/ Sourvein, -(16)-
- THE WELL 05/10/2019 Seattle, WA @ Substation
- LORD DYING w/ Year Of The Cobra 5/08/2019 Substation – Seattle, WA
- POISON IDEA w/The Derelicts, Acid Teeth and Victims Panel 6/13/19 @ Jazzbones – Tacoma, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (4/06/19 – 4/12/19)
NOTE: This small sample only includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. Streaming (or store) links will be included when available, Click/Tap on the record label name to access those links.
- MARTELO NEGRO – Parthenogenesis [Helldprod Records] BLACK/DEATH THRASH, raw early Celtic Frost/Hellhammer slapped primitive thrash from this brutal band.
- TOTENGOTT – The Abyss [Xtreem Music] DARK/BLACK METAL, a decidedly heavy take on dark metal that’ll please folks who miss Triptikon and Celtic Frost’s comeback.
- PAGAN ALTAR – Judgement of the Dead/Lords of Hypocrisy [Temple of Mystery Records] DOOM METAL, Reissues from the mighty folks at Temple of Mystery bringing you the first two Pagan Altar records. This band is legendary for their distinct doom metal sound and NWOBHM relevance. You must hear these albums if you are a classic/traditional doom metal fan.
- MEPHORASH – Shem Ha Mephorash [Helter Skelter/Shadow Records] BLACK METAL, Swedish black metal that is atmospheric and semi-melodic, still wrapping my head around this one.
- DEATHWOMB – Moonless Night Sacraments [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL, Perfectly raw and thrashing black metal from this incredible Portuguese band!
- HAZE MAGE – Chronicles [Grimoire Records] DOOM METAL, Hard hitting modern stoner/doom metal.
- HIGH PRIEST – Sanctum [Magnetic Eye Records] DOOM METAL, Stoner/doom metal from members of Like Rats.
- WOUNDS – Light Eater [Everlasting Spew Records] TECH-DEATH METAL, A brutal stroke of tech-death featuring the drummer from Kataplexy.
- FATAL CURSE – Breaking the Trance [Shadow Kingdom Records] SPEED METAL, Probably the most genuine take on US 80’s speed metal I’ve heard in a few years. They don’t go full Manilla Road but they cover the NWOBHM/Priest-obsessed California speed metal scene and basically hit that first Jag Panzer record over the head with a brick. Review for this soon.
- GODS FORSAKEN – Smells of Death [Soulseller Records] DEATH METAL, A swedish death metal supergroup but not a shitty one. Has members of Ashcloud, Just Before Dawn, Grand Supreme Blood Court, Wombbath, Crypticus, etc.
- HOSEMAN – Saturday Nite Conformity [Self-Released] HEAVY ROCK
- ARCHAIC TOMB / CRYPTWORM – Split EP [Blood Harvest Records] DEATH METAL
- SOLVEIG MATTHILDUR – Constantly in Love [Artoffact Records] TRIP HOP
- ARCHAIC DECAPITATOR – The Apothecary [Self-Released] MELODIC EXTREME METAL
- CHALICE OF SUFFERING – Lost Eternally [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH/DOOM METAL, Transcending Obscurity are on a roll with fine extreme doom metal releases and this one is a beast. Members of Plague of Stars, Coffinrot, Mastiff, and even has a bagpipist.
- ANCIENT ALTAR – Cosmic Purge/Foie Gras [Black Voodoo Records] SLUDGE METAL
- DEVOID OF THOUGHT – Cosmic Apoptosis [Caligari Records] DEATH METAL, Awesome death metal tape, truly otherworldly stuff, review will come for this soon!
- FALSE GODS – The Serpent and the Ladder [Self-Released] SLUDGE METAL
- FÖRGJORD – Ilmestykset [Werewolf/HHR] BLACK METAL, A unique and choice Finnish black metal record that does its own thing, still wrapping my head around this one.
UPCOMING RELEASES (4/20/19 – 4/26/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles already review and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- BROWN ACID: The Eighth Trip [RidingEasy Records] HEAVY PSYCH
- NIGHNACHT – Christophilia [Hell’s Headbangers Records] BLACK/DEATH METALPUNK
- BAT – Axestacy [Hell’s Headbangers Records] SPEED METAL
- ALTAR OF OBLIVION – The Seven Spirits [Shadow Kingdom Records] EPIC DOOM METAL
- ISTAPP – The Insidious Star [Trollzorn Records] MELODIC BLACK METAL
- PROTECTOR – Summon the Hordes [High Roller Records] DEATH/THRASH
- CHEVALIER – Destiny Calls [Gates of Hell Records] EPIC SPEED METAL
- DE LIRIUM’S ORDER – Singularity [Inverse Records] TECH-MELODEATH
- VARGRAV – Reign in Supreme Darkness [Hell’s Headbangers Records] SYMPHONIC/ATMO-BLACK
- OSSUAIRE – Premiers Chants [Sepulchral Productions] BLACK METAL
- VAURA – Sables [Profound Lore Records] POST-PUNK
- SMOULDER – Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring [Cruz Del Sur Music] EPIC DOOM METAL
- FILTHEATER – Blight of Sempiternal Putrefaction [Memento Mori] DEATH METAL
- VIGILANCE – Enter the Endless Abyss [Dying Victims Productions] BLACK/THRASH
- ÁRSTíðIR LíFSINS – Saga á tveim tungum I: Vápn ok viðr [April 26th] PAGAN BLACK METAL
- MARIANAS REST – Ruins [Inverse Records] MELODIC DEATH/DOOM
- SINNRS – Profound [Rockshots Records] SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL
- HYPOXIA – Abhorrent Disease [Selfmadegod Records] DEATH METAL
- FUN – Death Star [Kaos Kontrol] NOISE/INDIE ROCK
- GUTLESS – Mass Extinction [Chaos Records] DEATH METAL
- MURG – Strävan [Nordvis Productions] BLACK METAL
- MOULIN BANAL – Le Rythme Du Maréchal Ferrant [Grey Matter Productions] BLACK METAL
- GEEZER – Spiral Fires [Vinyl] [Kosmik Artifactz] STONER/PSYCH ROCK
- LOST IN KIEV – Persona [Pelagic Records] POST-ROCK
- BLYH – Awake to Emptiness [April 26] BLACK METAL
- EMBALMER – Embalmed Alive [Hell’s Headbangers Records] DEATH METAL
- WALKING BOMBS / GRIDFAILURE – Suicide by Citizenship [Nefarious Industries] NOISE
- THE WELL – Death and Consolation [RidingEasy Records] HEAVY PSYCH/DOOM METAL
- NORSEMEN – Bloodlust [Time to Kill Records] DEATH METAL
- LORD MATZIGKEITUS – From the Many Splintered Minds[Appalachian Noise Records] BLACK METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support GrizzlyButts’ goals:</strong>
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.