SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Swedish psychedelic sci-fi doom metal trio CITIES OF MARS are preparing for a month-long tour across Europe with their Ripple labelmates High Priestess. The tour will include a stop at Desertfest London on May 3rd. I missed out on the fantastic ‘The Horologist‘ which released last week (April 5th), so make sure you check out their latest album too! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- German heavy metallers PULVER are streaming the title track from forthcoming album ‘Kings Under The Sand‘ which comes just over a year after the release of their well-received self-titled debut EP. Memorable, gritty classic heavy metal ala Tank and Budgie! The album will be released May 10th on Gates of Hell Records. Stoked as fuck already! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Emergence is the impending new full-length from Denver-based progressive doom unit DREADNOUGHT. Set for release on May 10th via Profound Lore, the band’s fourth long player takes their signature sound towards heavier and darker sonic territory. They’ve released a 10+ minute track “Tempered” recently and holy shit, it goes places. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Iron Bonehead Productions sets June 21st as the international release date for Edinburgh, Scotland black metal duo VALARAUKAR‘s debut album, ‘Demonian Abyssal Visions’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. The song is a trip, looking forward to the full thing. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Los Angeles skate-rock trio THE SHRINE share the first track (“Dance on a Razor’s Edge”) from their upcoming ‘Cruel World’ EP which’ll be available on vinyl and download May 3rd via Eliminator Records. ‘Bless Off’ was great, this sounds a bit less ‘metal’ and a bit more heavy rock after swapping in Nashville Pussy/Chelsea Girls bassist since. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Today, Ordo MCM sets June 21st as the international release date for INTOTHECRYPT‘s debut album, ‘Vakor’, on digipack CD format with a 32-page booklet. Formed in 2016 as a studio project, Intothecrypt feature members of Russian cult band Scald: guitarist Ivan “Harald” Sergeev, bassist/vocalist Ilia “Velingor” Timashev, and drummer Aleksand “Ottar” Kudryashov, all of whom also played in Russian folk metal band Tumulus. The goal is to create dark, extreme music which includes elements of Scald, Bathory, old-school doom/death, black metal, and Northern folk music. Check out the first track “Leti, Voy Nash!” [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Horror metalpunks DEATH WOLF reveal the new track “With Hate” which hails from the band’s highly anticipated fourth album, ‘IV: Come the Dark’, which will see international release later this spring via Blooddawn Productions. Marduk’s Morgan Håkansson started the project under the moniker Devil’s Whorehouse in tribute to the death rock/punk sound of Samhain and the Misfits. A nice surprise as its been five years since ‘III: Östergötland’. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- BEHEADED, Malta’s premiere brutal death metal outfit, unveil the first single from their upcoming studio album ‘Only Death Can Save You’, due out June 14th worldwide via Agonia Records. This one takes me back, I remember loving ‘Ominous Bloodline’ back in 2005 and losing track after that. Listen to “A Greater Terror” at this link: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- WINTERWOLF is death metal for fanatics by fanatics, played by men long possessed by the lust for old-school death metal. Formed in the late 90’s by Corpse, now of Jess and the Ancient Ones / Deathchain fame, and Abomanitor, also known as the leader of surrealist death metal cult Demilich they’re on a ‘comeback’ trajectory with ‘Lycanthropic Metal of Death’ to be released on June 14th via Svart Records on CD, vinyl LP, and digital formats. If you’re expecting that early Deathchain as I was kind of chunky groove-death/thrash, don’t. Here’s “Brujo” and you’ll see it is pure old school Finnish death metal. Total grinder! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Legendary thrashers DEATH ANGEL will release their long-awaited 9th full-length album, ‘Humanicide’, on May 31st with Nuclear Blast Records. Today, guitarists Rob Cavestany and Ted Aguilar have released a new playthrough video for the record’s title track, “Humanicide”. This album rips, been listening to it all week. I always love to watch folks play thrash guitar, seeing them gear up for the chunk at the halfway point was awesome. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Austin, Texas blackened thrash metal scourge WIDOWER are set to unleash their debut full-length album, ‘Cataclysmic Sorcery’ through Black Market Metal on CD, digital, cassette and LP on May 24. WIDOWER blur the lines of black metal, death and thrash with great power. Hit the link to preview “Cosmic Holocaust” from the album: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Sacramento, California-based experimental death metal project FLUB is excited to announce the upcoming release of their self-titled full-length for June 7th through The Artisan Era. Flub includes Alterbeast vocalist Michael Alvarez, ex-Vale of Pnath guitarist Eloy Montes, Rivers Of Nihil drummer Jared Klein, and bassist Matthew Mud. Here’s a trailer for the eclectic album, featuring a pretty great cat, also I was glad to see someone with dreads actually washing them: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Chicago, Illinois Sci-fi death magicians NUCLEUS will release new album ‘Entity’ on June 14th through Unspeakable Axe Records on CD, and vinyl LP through Me Saco Un Ojo Records. Adam Burke can do no wrong, beautiful cover art! ‘Sentient’ was among the best of 2016 so I’m psyched as fuck for this one. The title track is streaming on YouTube: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Nuclear War Now! Productions sets June 15th as the international release date for the highly anticipated debut album of Αιμα (AIMA), τράγος (‘Tragos’), on vinyl LP format. AIMA now see a trajectory that should inspire fans of Embrace of Thorns in that they sought to continue the brutal tradition of black metal first espoused by pioneers like Sarcófago, Beherit, and Blasphemy but also infused a healthy dose of death metal riffs and influence into their craft. The result will surprise many! Listen to “Goatfuck Redemotion” here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Stavanger/Oslo, Norway freak rockers LYDIA LASKA have released a video for “Gout Lord” from their ‘Ego Death’ record released late last year. A DIY for-fun affair they describe here: “Recording albums like Ego Death takes up all the time, energy, and resources we’ve got. So after spending all our dough on this album, we had no budget for music videos, but we still wanted to make some. Just before the album was about to be released last fall, drummer/composer Voldswagen threw together a couple of videos for the songs ‘Teslicity, Baby!’ and ‘You’ based on found footage from long-lost decades. But this time around, we just wanted to make an old-school performance video done in our humble rehearsal place. It was partly filmed by Voldswagen using a phone (the scenes with singer Kandi), and all the band shots were shot by our in-house photographer Martine Petra….” dumb fun and hey check out their album. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Carnal Records announces May 31st for the release of ‘Rót’, the fourth full-length album from Swedish black metal band DOMGÅRD reflecting the meaning and solidity of what is hidden but striking, the ‘roots’ suggested by the album’s title. ‘Ödelagt’ was fantastic so I’m looking forward to this. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Norwegian black metal monolith KAMPFAR have released the second single from their upcoming record ‘Ofidians Manifest’, that will be released on May 3rd via Indie Recordings. The band’s frontman, Dolk, has commented on this occasion: “‘Syndefall’ is the Fall Of Man. In the religious books you read about forgiveness and salvation. In reality there’s only eternal suffering.” This record is shaping up to be one of their best, at least for my taste. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Canadian black metal fundamentalists PANZERFAUST are not taking their upcoming tetralogy The Suns of Perdition lightly. It is their most ambitious work to date and perhaps the band’s most extraordinarily violent. The first chapter War, Horrid War is being released by Eisenwald on June 14. ‘The Suns of Perdition I: War, Horrid War’ is a vicious and abrasive ride straight to the pits of inhumanity. This first chapter examines the malign episodes of this past century, shining a light on difficult subject matter using a begrimed philosophical lens. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Italian death metallers FULCI announced details of their second full-length album, ‘Tropical Sun’, to be released on May 31st via Time To Kill Records. A concept album based on the cult movie Zombi 2 (1979), from director Lucio Fulci. The film tells the story of a Caribbean island cursed by voodoo, whose dead residents rise as zombies to attack the living! Watch a short video trailer for the album: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- 20 Buck Spin will deliver the horrifying ‘Steeping Corporeal Mess’ debut LP from cult death metal outfit FETID on June 7th. Alongside the album’s cover artwork and track listing, they’ve unveiled the lead track, “Reeking Within” as a precursor for the record’s gruesome sledge. Rotten growling filth! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Game-changing instrumental post-metal quartet PELICAN have announced their first full-length in six years, ‘Nighttime Stories’, is due June 7th via Southern Lord Recordings. The album’s lead single, “Midnight And Mescaline,” is out now digitally and hitting stores as a 7″ with exclusive B-side track “Darkness On The Stairs” as a Record Store Day exclusive this weekend. [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Los Angelese, California death-thrashers TRANSCENDENCE are currently in The Morgue Studio recording their debut album, ‘Towards Obscurities Beyond’, to be released by Blood Harvest Records later this year. ‘Towards Obscurities Beyond’ will offer eight songs in similar writing style as the band’s 2017 EP ‘Hour Of The Summoning’ with a slightly more melodic touch to it: take the band’s death metal sound and add some melodic components of Dissection or early Necrophobic. Artwork is being handled by Adam Burke. Smells like a winner already! [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- NAILS have returned with the release of a new song and digital single, “I Don’t Want To Know You.” including B-side “Endless Resistance,” which features guest Max Cavalera (Sepultura, Soulfly). Pre-orders are now available for a limited edition 7” vinyl that will be released on June 7th and will include an additional remix of “Endless Resistance” by Petbrick. This marks the band’s first recording to feature their second guitarist Leon del Muerte (Murder Construct, Nausea). Songs a fuckin’ ripper! A music video for the new single can be found here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- The esteemed Dark Descent Records will unleash (what is likely the death metal album of the year) with ‘Cadaver Circulation’ from Finnish death/doom ghouls KRYPTS on May 31st as digital, CD, vinyl and cassette tape formats. Pre-order the album and listen to “The Reek of Loss” at: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Dunkelheit Produktionen sets July 25th as the international release date for SHADES OF DEEP WATER‘s highly anticipated second album, Death’s Threshold, on CD and vinyl LP format. A cult fixture in the funeral doom scene, Shades of Deep Water began its exploration of the abyss in 2006. Preview the first track: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- Swedish crust punk/metal outfit MARTYRDÖD have issued an official video for “Helveteslarm,” the new single from the band’s impending seventh album, ‘Hexhammaren’, set for release in North America through Southern Lord on May 10th with Century Media handling all other territories. Watch the video here: [Click/Tap HERE for more info]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Nucleus, Krypts, Lord Vicar, Kampfar, Beheaded, Zaum, Aima, Jess by the Lake, Starless Domain, Winterwolf, Infernal Conjuration, Domgård, Hex, Mavradoxa, and tons more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (4/06/19 – 4/12/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 4/8/19: One hundred helpful stabs in the back.
- This was essentially me recommending a round of avant-garde and atmospheric background music, but what I was aiming for was the kind of stuff they’d play in a record store in the afternoon. I don’t think it was the best round of suggestions, but a lot of interesting stuff. Choice cuts: Mark Deutrom, PAK, and Jussi Lehtisalo.
- For next week I am still deciding between a bunch of overlooked black metal releases or requests that came directly from independent bands.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #15: Panic (Brazil) 1987-1992
- As I suspected, writing about a totally unknown band that few people remember fondly didn’t generate much interest. If you’re a fan of classic thrash Panic’s first album is a bit like Possessed and Slayer whereas their second album is a semi-technical death/thrash record. Think of them like Dorsal Atlantica if they’d started after hearing ‘Hell Awaits’ and then changed the line-up every year.
- Next week is Vader (Poland) focusing mostly on the demos.
REVIEWS: Not a ton of reviews this week, but some of the best releases of the month.
- Witchfinder – Hazy Rites (2019) REVIEW
- Seax – Fallout Rituals (2019) REVIEW
- Ceremony of Silence – Oútis (2019) REVIEW*
- Gold – Why Aren’t You Laughing (2019) REVIEW
- Malokarpatan – Cesta podzemnými sálami Kovovlada [Vinyl] (2019) REVIEW
- Inculter – Fatal Visions (2019) REVIEW*
- Troll – Legend Master (2019) REVIEW*
- Astriferous – Raise High the Scepter of Indulgence [Cassette] (2019) REVIEW
- Watch for these reviews by Monday (4/15/19): Hath, Bloodsoaked Necrovoid, Isotope, possibly Inter Arma, and maybe (not sure) Celophys.
UPCOMING SHOWS: [That I’ll likely attend]
- BRAINOIL 5/04/2019 Highline – Seattle, WA w/ Bell Witch, Fetid
- HORRENDOUS w/Of Feather and Bone 4/21/2019 The Highline – Seattle, WA
- Northwest Terror Fest 5/30/2019 – 6/1/2019 – Seattle, WA [Spirit Adrift, Inter Arma, Thantifaxath, Wayfarer, etc.]
- GREAT FALLS 5/03/2019 Substation – Seattle, WA w/ Sourvein, -(16)-
- THE WELL 05/10/2019 Seattle, WA @ Substation
- LORD DYING w/ Year Of The Cobra 5/08/2019 Substation – Seattle, WA
- POISON IDEA w/The Derelicts, Acid Teeth and Victims Panel 6/13/19 @ Jazzbones – Tacoma, WA
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (4/06/19 – 4/12/19)
NOTE: This small sample only includes overlooked releases that are not yet reviewed or covered but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. Streaming (or store) links will be included when available, Click/Tap on the record label name to access those links.
- SICULICIDIUM – A Halál és az iránytű [Sun & Moon] BLACK METAL
- VOUS AUTRES – Champ du Sang [Sleeping Church] BLACKENED SLUDGE
- NONE – Damp Chill of Life [Hypnotic Dirge] ATMO-DSBM
- TOTALITARIAN – Bloodlands [Barren Void/Lavadome] BLACK METAL
- SACRILEGIA – The Triclavian Incident [Invictus Productions] BLACK/THRASH*
- DARKENED NOCTURN SLAUGHTERCULT – Mardom [War Anthem] BLACK METAL*
- HATH – Of Rot and Ruin [Willowtip] BLACKENED TECH-DEATH*
- BLOODPHEMY – In Cold Blood [Black Lion Records] DEATH METAL
- 2 WOLVES – …Our Fault [Inverse Records] MELODIC DEATH/DOOM
- BATHER – Bather [Appalachian Noise] 90’S METALCORE
- L’ACEPHALE – L’Acéphale [Eisenwald] BLACK/FOLK/AVANT-GARDE
- SLUDGEHAMMER – Antechamber [Self-Release] MELODEATH/GROOVE
- TASTEFUL TURMOIL – [Inverse Records] MODERN THRASH
- OMENFILTH – Devourer of the Seven Moons [Eternal Death Records] BLACK METAL*
- NEOLITHIC – Neolithic [Deep Six Records] DEATH METAL/HC PUNK*
- DELIRIUM – Urkraft [MDD Records] PAGAN BLACK METAL
- TRYER – Ei Kuole Koskaan [Suicide Records] HARDCORE PUNK*
- THEORIES – Vessel [Corpse Flower Records] DEATHGRIND
UPCOMING RELEASES (4/13/19 – 4/19/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles already review and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on RECORD LABEL name for preview, stream, or store.
- MARTELO NEGRO – Parthenogenesis [Helldprod Records] BLACK/DEATH THRASH
- TOTENGOTT – The Abyss [Xtreem Music] DARK/BLACK METAL
- PAGAN ALTAR – Judgement of the Dead/Lords of Hypocrisy [Temple of Mystery Records] DOOM METAL Reissues
- MEPHORASH – Shem Ha Mephorash [Helter Skelter/Shadow Records] BLACK METAL
- DEATHWOMB – Moonless Night Sacraments [Iron Bonehead Productions] BLACK METAL
- HAZE MAGE – Chronicles [Grimoire Records] DOOM METAL
- HIGH PRIEST – Sanctum [Magnetic Eye Records] DOOM METAL
- WOUNDS – Light Eater [Everlasting Spew Records] TECH-DEATH METAL
- SANGUE – Culś [Nuclear War Now! Productions] PAGAN BLACK METAL
- VITRIOL – Chrysalis [Iron Bonehead Productions] DEATH METAL
- FATAL CURSE – Breaking the Trance [Shadow Kingdom Records] SPEED METAL
- GODS FORSAKEN – Smells of Death [Soulseller Records] DEATH METAL
- DEAD TO A DYING WORLD – Elegy [Profound Lore Records] DARK/DOOM/POST-METAL
- HOSEMAN – Saturday Nite Conformity [Self-Released] HEAVY ROCK
- ARCHAIC TOMB / CRYPTWORM – Split EP [Blood Harvest Records] DEATH METAL
- SOLVEIG MATTHILDUR – Constantly in Love [Artoffact Records] TRIP HOP
- ARCHAIC DECAPITATOR – The Apothecary [Self-Released] MELODIC EXTREME METAL
- CHALICE OF SUFFERING – Lost Eternally [Transcending Obscurity Records] DEATH/DOOM METAL
- ANCIENT ALTAR – Cosmic Purge/Foie Gras [Black Voodoo Records] SLUDGE METAL
- DEVOID OF THOUGHT – Cosmic Apoptosis [Caligari Records] DEATH METAL
- FALSE GODS – The Serpent and the Ladder [Self-Released] SLUDGE METAL
- FÖRGJORD – Ilmestykset [Werewolf/HHR] BLACK METAL
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support GrizzlyButts’ goals:</strong>
If you appreciate what you’ve read, please consider donating directly using PayPal.