SYNCHRONY is a weekly feature focusing on relevant heavy music news, new releases, upcoming releases, as well as a week in review to help folks keep up with all of the content on GrizzlyButts. This’ll also include a list of upcoming releases and some preliminary notes on upcoming reviews or coverage. Some Seattle, Washington area live shows will be intermittently featured. If you have New Releases, show announcements, or important heavy music news that’ll be relevant or interesting to folks contact me at: email@example.com Priority to PR/label submissions and straight up if I can’t hear it, I won’t cover it.
THIS WEEK IN NEWS
- Portland heavy metal unit LORD DYING will release their anticipated third studio album ‘Mysterium Tremendum’ worldwide on April 26th via Entertainment One (eOne). If you already know this band, this third album finds them truly in their own wilderness and the full thing is something to look forward to. [Click/Tap HERE to listen to “Freed From the Pressures of Time”]
- Italian epic heavy metal quartet VULTURES VENGEANCE defend the realm of the obscure on their first full-length album, ‘The Knightlore’. The album will be released May 10 on CD, vinyl, and digital formats via Gates of Hell Records. [Click/Tap HERE to listen to “Pathfinder’s Call“]
- Progressive death metal project ATLAS ENTITY (Feat. drummer Samus Paulicelli of Decrepit Birth, Devin Townsend) announce their debut album, ‘Beneath the Cosmic Silence’ for June 14th. [Click/Tap HERE to view the album trailer/preview]
- German pagan metallers DELIRIUM have published a video for the title-track of their upcoming album, ‘Urkraft’. Set to be released on April 12th via MDD Records, the band’s sophomore album combines pagan metal, black metal, and rock riffs. [Click/Tap HERE to watch the video on YouTube]
- Norwegian black metal legends DARKTHRONE announced ‘Old Star’, their eighteenth full-length since 1987, slated for release May 31st. Fenriz states ““All in all it is our most 80’s album so far and our most metal one to date with drum sound typical for the 80’s USA/German market and damned lyrics, which are all written by me. We feel that ‘Old Star’ is the big brother of ‘Arctic Thunder’. More solid and with even better riffs.” Of particular note is the album artwork from Chadwick St. John (Werian, Svartsyn, Arckanum) [Click/Tap HERE to Pre-Order (or Pre-Save) ‘Old Star’]
- British classic thrashers XENTRIX have officially signed with Listenable Records for the release of their upcoming ‘Bury the Pain’ full-length. Through the closing months of 2018 the final recording work for the new was completed with production from Andy Sneap and mastering by Russ Russell. It’ll feature ex-Blaze Bayley vocalist Jay Walsh as well as Hellfighter bassist Chris Shires and see release in Summer 2019. [Click/Tap HERE to follow Listenable Records for more news]
- Legendary Florida technical death/thrashers HELLWITCH are currently finishing the songwriting of their brand new album be recorded this Spring for a late 2019 release, and they’ve signed with Listenable Records, (who’ve also acquired Thanatos and Xentrix this week!) Exciting news as this is a favorite band of mine. [Click/Tap HERE to follow Listenable Records for more news]
- Werewolf Records, in conspiracy with Hell’s Headbangers, sets April 19th as the international release date for the highly anticipated fourth album of Finnish black metal trio FÖRGJORD, ‘Ilmestykset’, on CD/digital formats. [Click/Tap HERE to preview the stunning “Maailma Palaa”]
- Swedish dark rock/modern metal collective THENIGHTTIMEPROJECT – founded by current and former members of Katatonia, October Tide, and Letters From The Colony – has announced the details of their impending second LP, Pale Season, now confirmed for release through Debemur Morti Productions on June 28th. No previews until mid-April 19th but it’d be fair to expect something close to the previous album.
- Time To Kill Records welcome FULCI to the roster with their second full-length album. Formed in 2013 and hailing from Caserta, southern Italy, Fulci are a brutal ‘old school’ death metal band named after legendary director Lucio Fulci, the Master of gore (“Zombi 2”, “The Gates of Hell”, “The Beyond” etc.) and a new full-length can be expected sometime this year.
- Auckland, New Zealand death metal trio ULCERATE have joined the Debemur Morti Productions roster. Further details on the band’s as-yet-untitled new full-length will be released in the months to come. In the meantime, don’t miss Ulcerate on their upcoming European tour set to commence April 10th and run through April 21st. The trek includes an appearance on this year’s edition of Roadburn! [Click/Tap HERE for the full list of dates on Facebook]
- The esteemed Caligari Records sets April 19th as the international release date for progressive and experimental death metal band DEVOID OF THOUGHT‘s second demo, ‘Cosmic Apoptosis’, on cassette tape format. Righteously dark and tastefully obscure godless-formed death rites! [Click/Tap HERE to preview “Tomb Marauders Horde” on Bandcamp]
- Osmose Productions sets May 31st as the release date for VORTEX OF END‘s highly anticipated third album, ‘Ardens Fvror’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. Formed in northeast France in the early 2000’s, Vortex of End is an uncompromising black metal monolith of totalitarian darkness and intelligence through violence while constantly drenched in blood. Excellent album artwork. [Click/Tap HERE for more information via Osmose]
- Finnish Epic Speed Metallers CHEVALIER have premiered a new track from their forthcoming album ‘Destiny Calls’ which will see release April 26 on Gates of Hell Records. Hugely anticipated release! [Click/Tap HERE to stream “Stormbringer”]
- Blood Harvest Records, in conspiracy with Rotted Life, is proud to present PESTILENT DEATH‘s highly anticipated second album, ‘Chapters of Depravity’, on CD, vinyl LP, and cassette tape formats. The CD and cassette versions will be released on April 5th while the vinyl version will follow on May 24th. [Click/Tap HERE to listen to the whole damn thing digitally]
- California-based progressive/technical death metal trio INANIMATE EXISTENCE recently announced their upcoming fifth full-length album, ‘Clockwork’. The album is set for release on May 10th via The Artisan Era. It is the follow up to the group’s massive fourth album, ‘Underneath a Melting Sky’, which was released in 2017. They’ve also released a lyric video for “Voyager”. [Click/Tap HERE to view “Voyager” on YouTube]
- Today, Annapurna sets June 14th as the international release date for the striking debut album of ÄSPING, ‘The Lion of Piraeus’, on vinyl LP format. Äsping is a collaborative project where the two members, Åsa Nordgren (vocals, composition) and Michael Idehall (electronics, composition), invite others to experiment with music and sound. ‘The Lion of Piraeus’ is their first music release and features full collaboration with Serpent Noir‘s Yiannis K. on guitars. As for genre, well… [Click/Tap HERE to preview “Metanoia” and decide for yourself]
- Italian orchestral-death metal and renaissance revivalists FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE will make their triumphant return this year with the release of their 5th studio album ‘Veleno’ on May 24th with Nuclear Blast Records. The group has launched the second album trailer, in which frontman Francesco Paoli discusses working with Travis Smith on the artwork for the album. [Click/Tap HERE to watch the trailer]
- American classic metallers POUNDER announce the full list of confirmed dates & venues for next month’s tour alongside comrades Gygax. Dubbed the “Highly Uncivilized” tour, Pounder will be hitting the American West Coast, from Seattle all the way down to Hell (Los Angeles) supporting their critically acclaimed debut album, Uncivilized, released last month on Hells Headbangers. [Click/Tap HERE to check the dates on Pounder’s Facebook]
- Ohio’s answer to groovin’ 90’s Bay Area thrash metal WAR CURSE have released a video for their track “Serpent” which features a guest solo from guitarist Kragen Lum (Prototype, Psychosis, Heathen). The song is taken from their album ‘Eradication’ which will be released on May 10th via Svart Records. [Click/Tap HERE to watch “Serpent” on YouTube]
- Today, Svart Records sets May 17th as the release date for Finnish electronic rock band K-X-P‘s highly anticipated fourth album, ‘IV’, on CD and vinyl LP formats. They describe their sound as ‘Original – Electronic – Motorhead – Space – Trance – Spiritual – Rock – Meditation – Freejazz’ and even if that isn’t as Hawkwind as it sounds (think Neu! ’75 instead) I’m into it. [Click/Tap HERE to listen to an edit of “Hex Bag” on YouTube]
- Malta’s premier death metal outfit & biggest metal export, BEHEADED, reveal cover artwork, tracklisting and pre-orders for their sixth studio album titled ‘Only Death Can Save You’. The album is set to be released on June 14th worldwide via Agonia Records. [Click/Tap HERE to check out the details on Agonia’s Bandcamp]
- Veteran Italian black metal outfit HANDFUL OF HATE are pleased to announce that they will release their new album ‘Adversus’ on May 10th in digital, CD, and limited edition gatefold vinyl via Aural Music. It’ll be their third album since reforming in 2009.
- Gore metal maniacs EXHUMED are currently in the studio recording their seventh full-length and follow up to 2016’s critically-lauded Death Revenge. The as-yet-untitled album is being recorded at the band’s home-built studio Darker Corners, a first in Exhumed’s legendary career. The album, which marks the debut of new guitarist Sebastian Phillips (Noisem), is being produced by the band and Alejandro Corredor (Brujeria, Nausea) and will be mixed and mastered by Joel Grind (Toxic Holocaust). The record is expected to see release later this year.
- Bay Area thrash metal legends DEATH ANGEL will release their long-awaited 9th full-length album, ‘Humanicide’, on May 31st with Nuclear Blast Records. Today, the band has given fans their first look inside the making of the record with a new trailer in which the band discusses the writing process for ‘Humanicide’. Title track and album art both smoke, check that out too. [Click/Tap HERE to watch the trailer on YouTube]
- THEORIES: Seattle deathgrind unit featuring members of Samothrace, Black Breath, Skarp, Book Of Black Earth, etc. announces Spring tour ‘Vessel’ full-length out April 12th on Corpse Flower Records. Dat snare ping. [Click/Tap HERE to preview on Bandcamp]
- Eisenwald is proud to announce the signing of Polish folk/neofolk artist BY THE SPIRITS to an exclusive worldwide deal. A reworked compilation of the band’s partial discography is coming later this year. A folk project hailing from the mystic woods of Lower Silesia near the Ślęża mountain in Poland founded in 2016 by solo artist Michał Krawczuk, By The Spirits creates through the practice of ancient magick music hailing to the old gods, telling stories about the connections between man, nature, and the spirituality within. [Click/Tap HERE to check them out on Bandcamp as things develop]
- Hell’s Headbangers sets April 26th as the international release date for a special live album from legendary American death metallers EMBALMER entitled ‘Embalmed Alive’ on CD format. Active since 1990 but all over the place since, the band would comeback in 2016 with the rock solid ‘Emanations from the Crypt’. This new album is basically a ‘live in studio’ greatest hits from the band with songs spanning their 1990-2017 output. They’re working on a new full-length as well. [Click/Tap HERE to preview “I Am the Embalmer”]
- New Jersey blackened death metallers HATH showcase their shredding skills with the newly-released playthrough video for “Usurpation.” The video features in-studio footage of the band performing an instrumental version of the opener from Hath’s forthcoming new album, ‘Of Rot and Ruin’. Check it out with vocals too, the whole album rips and will release April 12th. [Click/Tap HERE to watch on YouTube]
- Swiss Celtic modern folk metal collective ELUVEITIE release their eighth studio album ‘Ategnatos’ on April 5th via Nuclear Blast. Recordings took place in New Sound Studio with Tommy Vetterli at the helm with mixing duties handled by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios. Expect it to sound grand as the nine piece band have included a string quartet as well as harpist Fabienne Erni on the recordings. [Click/Tap HERE to preview “Ambiramus” on YouTube]
- HYPE ALBUMS AT PRESS THIS WEEK FROM: Hell Fire, Excruciation, Totengott, Bloodsoaked Necrovoid, Pulver, Aoratos, Crucifixion, Glassing, Omenfilth, Hellish Grave, Hypoxia, Bat, Filtheater, Nocturnal Witch, Kaliedobolt, Gutless, Sepolcro, Bastardizer, Idle Hands and hundreds more. Look for coverage in the near future. Don’t see your album listed? Send it to me!
GRIZZLY BUTTS‘ WEEK IN REVIEW (3/23/19 – 3/29/19)
- Ten From the Tomb 3/25/19: The muse’d promise one unfading thing.
- Death metal and doom metal releases, some extreme doom metal.
- Thrash ‘Til Death #13: Cynic (United States) 1987-1993
REVIEWS: An asterisk indicates an ‘Editors Pick’, or exceptional release.
- Vircolac – Masque (2019) REVIEW*
- Teleport – The Expansion (2019) REVIEW
- Terror Oath – Terror Oath [Vinyl] (2019) REVIEW
- Ulvdalir – …Of Death Eternal (2019) REVIEW
- Pig’s Blood – A Flock Slaughtered (2019) REVIEW
- Ripped to Shreds – Eight Immortals Feast [Cassette] (2019) REVIEW
- Fine China Superbone – Plaguey (2019) REVIEW*
- Bus – Never Decide (2019) REVIEW
- Deafkids – Metaprogramação (2019) REVIEW
- Triumvir Foul – Urine of Abomination (2019) REVIEW
- Akrotheism – Law of Seven Deaths (2019) REVIEW*
- Obscure Infinity – Into the Vortex of Obscurity (2019) REVIEW
- Feed Them Death – No Solution / Dissolution (2018) REVIEW
- Waste of Space Orchestra – Syntheosis (2019) REVIEW*
- Haunt – Mosaic Vision (2019) REVIEW
RELEASED/OVERLOOKED THIS WEEK (3/23/19 – 3/29/19)
NOTE: This small sample only includes overlooked releases that will not be reviewed but are recommended. Some of these will still be featured in other coverage. Streaming (or store) links will be included when available, Click/Tap on the record label name to access those links.
- Hands of God – ‘Blueprint for Self Destruction’ 12″ [Flatspot Records] HC/PUNK
- Zero Fire – ‘Second Sun’ [Self-Released] ALT-ROCK/METAL
- DÄLEK – ‘Respect To The Authors’ [Exile on Mainstream] ALT/HIP-HOP
- Ola Englund – Master of the Universe [Self-Released] SHRED/PROG METAL
- Plained – Epidemic of Mass Hysteria [Self-Released] PROG METAL
- Nixa – Opus Tierra [War Anthem Records] SLUDGE METAL
- Tides of Sulphur – Paralysis of Reason [Sludgelord Records] HC/SLUDGE
- Aihos – Hävityksen Maa [Helter Skelter/Blood Harvest] BLACK METAL
- Musket Hawk – ‘Upside of Sick’ [Unholy Anarchy Records] SLUDGE/GRIND
- Thunderclap – ‘Inebriocean’ [Financial Ruin Records] STONER/SLUDGE
- Dream Ritual – ‘Trips Around the Sun’ [Self-Released] PSYCH/STONER ROCK
- Vargsheim – ‘Söhne der Sonne’ [MDD Records] BLACK METAL
- The Choir of Vengeance – ‘s/t’ (Remaster) [Chaos Records] MELO-BM/DM
- Затемно – ‘В петле’ [Aesthetic Death] BLACK METAL
UPCOMING RELEASES (3/30/19 – 4/05/19)
NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, some titles already review and/or covered and some have yet to enter the final queue for consideration and processing. An asterisk (*) indicates that a review is drafted or in preparation. Click/Tap on Record Label name for preview, stream, or store.
- WEST OF HELL ‘Blood of the Infidel’ [Self-Released]
- KRIGERE WOLF ‘Eternal Holocaust’ [Lower Silesian Stronghold]
- FORDÆRV – ‘Knep Dig Selv Ihjel’ [Self-Released]
- VIUDA NEGRA ‘Al Final/In the End’ [Fighter Records]
- VANANIDR ‘Vananidr’ [Purity Through Fire]
- DECOHERENCE ‘Decoherence’ [Sentient Ruin Laboratories]*
- SWORN ENEMY ‘Gamechanger’ [M-Theory Audio]
- GODHEAD MACHINERY ‘Aligned to the Grid’ [Inverse Records]
- OBZERV ‘Acherontia Atropos’ [Self-Released]
- THE FOREIGN RESORT ‘Outnumbered’ [Artoffact Records]*
- LIGHTFOLD ‘Deathwalkers’ [Pitch Black Records]
- THE PHANTOM OF PHOBOS ‘From a Dead Channel / Uninvited’ [Concorde]
- KEHRO ‘Urdiala’ [Ektro Records]
- CELOPHYS ‘Fried Chordata’ [Robustfellow Productions]
- THREE DEAD FINGERS ‘Breed of the Devil’ [Bleeding Music Records]*
- BLIND MONARCH ‘What Is Imposed Must Be Endured’ [Black Bow Records]*
- ISOTOPE ‘Isotope’ [Carbonized Records]*
- ORSO ‘Paninotecha’ [Czar of Crickets Productions]*
- CEREMONY OF SILENCE ‘Oútis’ [Willowtip Records]*
- SEAX ‘Fallout Rituals’ [Cruz Del Sur Music]*
- SUFFERING HOUR ‘Dwell’ [Blood Harvest]*
- HELLRIPPER ‘Black Arts & Alchemy’ [Reaper Metal Productions]*
- ELUVEITIE ‘Ategnatos’ [Nuclear Blast Records]
- WITCHFINDER ‘Hazy Rites’ [Black Bow Records]*
- CULTIC ‘High Command’ [Eleventh Key Records]
- CRITICAL EXTRAVASATION ‘Morbid Existence’ [Redefining Darkness]*
Did I miss something important this week? Send me an e-mail and tell me about it. It is always worthwhile to speak up for the lesser known stuff. Please remember you can contribute to my Patreon @ only $1 USD per month ($12 a year) to help keep me in front of the computer writing about metal. Thanks.
<strong>Help Support Grizzly Butts’ goals with a donation:</strong>
Please consider donating directly to site costs and project funding using PayPal.